• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dragon Spell Ideas +rep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Fire spells:

Dragon Fire, active, target point

The dragon spits out cons of fire infront of him, dealing more damage the closer they are to the dragon. Also deals a small amount of burn damage afterwards.

Example of the idea

Dragon is X and is shooting to the right, < is every cone

X<<<<<

Ring Of Fire, target point, summon

Summons a ring of fire at targeted point. The ring will after a very short moment expand into a bigger ring. Units who get passed it will take X amount of damage.

Water spells:

No name, target point

Target a point, 3 waves will be summoned behind you at different angles. The waves travels to the target point dealing damage to every unit they pass. When reaching the point the waves exploads and knockback nearby enemies.

Example

Target point is X, Y is the caster, Z is the wave

------------------X-----------------
------------------------------------
-------------------------------------
-------------------------------------
------------------Y-----------------
---Z-------------Z-------------Z---

Annoying splash, target unit

A high sounded wave is summoned at targeted unit, dealing damage and stunning it because of the high amount of sound.

Level 2
Earth:
Fossilization(Means enemy is stone and cant move for a while)
Summoning Golems out of Ground
make a whole under enemy(just do damage :p)
earthquake(damage and make slower)
Throw stones(only damage, too)
Make himself to stone(get an very very high armor bonus and will be very very slow)

Bone...:
Summoning Skeletons out of Corpses
plague(maybe as aura, so everyone near to him or a infected one will be infected, the infection does damage)
Teleportation(He can teleport enemys to himself)
Splitting(After he dies there spawn 2 or 3 smaller bone dragon where his corpse is)
search bones(get for each corpse he find and eat life back)

Water (i think ice is included?):
Make enemy to an iceblock(same as Fossilization only in water theme)
Blizzard(mean spell of archmage in wc3)
tide(dont know if possible, water level is raising in map for a while)
creature of water(passiv, got faster life and mana regeneration in water and get attack bonus, immunity against firespells)
claws of ice(slow down attackrate and movement of enemy, maybe extra damage)

Fire:
creature of fire(passiv, make damage to nearby enemys like an aura, take more damage if the attacktype is water/ice)
firebreath(make damage, maybe makes enemy burning)
living flames(can summon out of flames living flames or can summon out of himself living flames against lifepoints)
Meteor(A meteor impact, do damage and maybe makes enemy burning)
wall of fire(can make an wall of fire on earth, who enters will get high damage)

I hope this is what you are searching for.

Greetings Obstsalat

Edit: OK too slow xDD

Level 28
Spell List

Thanks everyone :D (I'm creating the spells btw).

@Baassee: The fire spells are pretty good (and not the hardest to create, saves me time xD).
Those 3 water missiles will go to the same spot, correct? (Seems like a good idea too ^^).

@Maker: Well, yeah... perhaps a standard devour spell to eat tiny creatures lurking around xD

@Obstsalat: Yes, ice is included ^^
Well, the problem is that every spell will be completely triggered (since I have to increase the spell damage with buffs/abilities), so summons aren't really what I was searching for (and most of your abilities are standard, such as Earthquake, turn to stone, ...), but some other spells (Blizzard - though a bit modified, living flames and plague can be good and I'm going to modify the wall-idea to "Spiked Wall", for the bone dragon, since it's the only one without spells atm xD).

Spell List:

(note that the descriptions are not final and are just meant to give a basic overview of the spell).​
SpellInformation
nagaarmor.jpg
Name: Scaled Strike.
Description: Pushes an enemy unit away, dealing damage and stunning him.
Type: Item Ability
warstomp.jpg
Name: Forceful Throw.
Description: Grabs and damages a nearby enemy, he will be pushed towards the nearest enemy, dealing damage. If there are no nearby enemies, he will be pushed forward.
Type: Earth (Str).
reincarn.jpg
Name: Ferocious Roar.
Description: Increases nearby friendly units' spell damage.
Type: Earth (Int).
blizz.jpg
Name: Hail (Idea by obstsalat ~Blizzard).
Description: Summons a hailstorm, each shard will damage all enemy units inside an area.
Type: Water (Int)
frostorb.jpg
Name: Frozen Orbs.
Description: Summons frost orbs that circle around you, when an orbs finds a nearby enemy, he will fly towards him, dealing damage and slowing him.
Type: Water (Int).
wave.jpg
Name: Massive Flood. (Idea by baassee).
Description: Floods a patch of land with 3 waves, each wave will deal damage when hitting enemies and explodes at the targetted point, making all units fly backwards.
Type: Water (Str).
plagued.jpg
Name: Plague. (Idea by obstsalat).
Description: Infects a unit, all units which come too close to the infected unit will also get infected.
Type: Bone (Agi).
unknownp.jpg
Name: Ring of Fire. (Idea by baassee).
Description: Summons a ring of fire which will expand at a rapid rate, burning all units around.
Type: Fire (Agi).
firebolt.jpg
Name: Searing Wave. (Idea by baassee).
Description: Breaths a cone of fire which will deal less damage the further away the target is, all targets will be burnt for a short amount of time.
Type: Fire (Int).

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Units hit by ice spells get the chilled buff which slows them sligthtly (slowness depends on the power of the spells cast and stacks with dimishing returns).
Units hit by fire spells get the on fire buff which deals damage over time (the DoT depends on the power of spells and stacks with each fire spell used on them).

The buffs are exclusive, meaning you can only have one active at a time on a unit (so fire and frost spells cancle the buffs of each other out). However everytime a buff is cancled it does aditional damage based on the power of the previous buff.

A spell for the str earth dragon.
Name - Stone Hibernation
Effect descript - The dragon goes into a state of hibernation during which his body becomes almost as hard as stone. Due to his defenseless appearence many enemies are fooled into thinking he will be easy prey however what they do not realise is he is even harder to kill than when active.
Actual Effect - The dragon almost imediatly goes into hibernation. During this state his armor is greatly raised and he gains spell damage reduction. He however becomes unable to attack or move while in this state. Nearby enemies are almost magically attracted to attacking him despite him being tougher. He can hibernate for only a certain time (he can end hibernation early though) and after hibernation he is temporarly slowed for a while as he wakes up and gets used to moving again. He however gains the refreshed buff meaning increased HP regen but the effectiveness of that varies with hibernation time (longer = more effective).

Level 6
Idea

Dead Armor

Take a corpse nearby and place it on skin, give bonus massive armor until corpse destroyed. last X seconds
Does not stack

Death explode

AOE target, explode any corpse at AOE, dealing X damage for each corpse. Whenever a unit killed at AOE, their soul will be trapped, making skeletal warrior/archer/mage. Damage both enemy and allies, give (Z*total corpse exploded) heal for caster.

Earth Grab

Raise land at targeted unit, disable it with stone grab on foot. if target is hero, absorb x primary attribute to caster. earth grab last X seconds, Bonus attribute last Y seconds.

Flame of amaterasu

Cast amaterasu on self, burn self and enemy nearby for X dps with black flames (amaterasu = black flame). A unit will burned too when too close with a burned unit. Can't be dispel by any spell. Last X seconds or until caster hp below 200.

Cold winds

Manipulate water to be Cold winds, blow to AOE. Enemy will reduce Attack Speed and Movement Speed when allies got bonus AS and MS. if a unit killed when effected, frost nova will be do at place of unit killed.

Level 8
Bone Dragon:

Internal Demons

The Dragon forces the bones of an enemy to implode, crippling him and dealing x damage. Cripple effect last x seconds.

Jawbreaker

The dragon breaks his enemy's jaw, preventing spell casting for x seconds, and dealing x amount of damage.

Regeneration

The Dragon takes the bones of his fallen enmies or comrades and uses them to replenish himself. Restores mana, health, buffs that are timing out, and cancels out certain debuffs.

De-Animation

3 targted units implode from the inside out and become the dragon's undead minions. Lasts for x seconds.

Level 22
just a quick earth dragon spell that went threw my mind as maybe ac0 wants some triggering challange hah ;)

Ripple the earth, ultimate, target point

The dragon ripples the whole earth a part, causing a deformation in a line appear in front of him. As units are sucked in into this crater, rocks from the earth are bouncing down into the crater, dealing a small aoe damage. The units can move within the crater but not go outside it. Lasts for X seconds.

Yes here you got your challange :p

To make them not go out of the crater, make it check the aoe of the crater and when they are closing to the bounds and want to go outside, do call SetUnitX/Y and move them back :)

Bouncing can fail during deform and falling rocks from the sky is just fine! ;)

Level 2
Thanks everyone :D (I'm creating the spells btw).

@Baassee: The fire spells are pretty good (and not the hardest to create, saves me time xD).
Those 3 water missiles will go to the same spot, correct? (Seems like a good idea too ^^).

@Maker: Well, yeah... perhaps a standard devour spell to eat tiny creatures lurking around xD

@Obstsalad: Yes, ice is included ^^
Well, the problem is that every spell will be completely triggered (since I have to increase the spell damage with buffs/abilities), so summons aren't really what I was searching for (and most of your abilities are standard, such as Earthquake, turn to stone, ...), but some other spells (Blizzard - though a bit modified, living flames and plague can be good and I'm going to modify the wall-idea to "Spiked Wall", for the bone dragon, since it's the only one without spells atm xD).

Spell List:

(note that the descriptions are not final and are just meant to give a basic overview of the spell).​
---

Forceful Throw:

Description: Throws a unit towards another nearby enemy, dealing damage to both units, if there is no nearby enemy, he is just being pushed forward.
Type: Earth (Strength).

---

Ferocious Roar:

Description: Lets out an encouraging roar, increasing all neaby allies' spell damage.
Type: Earth (Int).

---

Frozen Orbs:

Description: Summons frost orbs that circle around the caster, when an enemy gets too close to an orb, the orb will fly towards the unit, dealing damage and slowing him when hit.

---

Hail

(Idea by Obstsalad ~Blizzard)
Description: Summons shards of ice that will be hurled towards the earth, dealing damage on impact.

---

Massive Flood

(Idea by baassee)
Description: Floods the land with 3 water waves which will go to the targetted point, dealing damage to all in a line and they explode when reaching the end.
Type: Water (Str).

---

Searing Wave

(Idea by baassee)
Description: Breaths a cone of fire which will deal less damage the further away the target is, all targets will be burnt for a short amoun t of time.
Type: Fire (Int).

---

Ring of Fire:

(Idea by baassee)
Description: Summons a ring of fire which will expand at a rapid rate, burning all units around.
Type: Fire (Agi).

---

Plague:

(Idea by Obstsalad)
Description: Infects a unit, all units which come too close to the infected unit will also get infected.
Type: Bone (Agi).

I'll put these in a better looking list later ^^

hm ok, i dont really trhought about how to create the spells^^.

ohh and by the way: It's spelled Obstsalat and not Obstsalad xD

Level 28
@Dr Super Good: You never fail to give interesting ideas, which would be highly inefficient without using JASS :p
(It needs a damage detection system, those aren't good when completely GUI since you can't remove events).
Very good ideas though.

@The-Rave: very interesting ideas (naruto-fan I guess, since amaterasu doesn't actually mean "Black Flames" but "Illuminates Heaven", though it does in naruto xD).
The only thing I didn't quite get about Death Explode is the creation of the skeletons: is this for the destroyed corpses, or for the units that die when the corpses explode?

@Joss: awesome, more bone dragon spells :D
Only the last one seems impossible (target 3 units? How do you do that? xD), but I can make it so you target a unit and it selects the 2 closest enemies (which gives a total of 3 targets...).

@Obstsalat: sorry, I fixed it =D

Level 6
@The-Rave: very interesting ideas (naruto-fan I guess, since amaterasu doesn't actually mean "Black Flames" but "Illuminates Heaven", though it does in naruto xD).
The only thing I didn't quite get about Death Explode is the creation of the skeletons: is this for the destroyed corpses, or for the units that die when the corpses explode?

yes, i like naruto , and still waiting onemanga update it xD
skeletal army creates from unit that die when the corpses explode

Level 3
Water:
Frozen Whirlpool: The Dragon drains water from nearby lifeforms and creates a massive whirpool in the air, when the whirlpool is ready, it freezes and rains down in a large radius and deals AoE damage.

Clearification: When the spell is cast a waterlooking balls come from the enemy units (the enemies get damaged slightly) and raise in mid-air, then it freezes and falls on the ground like multiple rain of fires, and deals AoE damage, and slows the units that get hit.

Level 6
-Fire Spell-

Name of Spell: Running Flames

Breaths a line of fire in a straight line until an enemy or ally is struck with the fire. When an enemy is struck with the fire it will follow them causing damage to them and leaving a trail of fire dealing X damage to anything caught in its path.

-Water Spell-

Name of Spell: Crystalnado

When casted, it will form a tornado of crystals dealing X damage to anything caught it its radius. There is also a 10% chance that the enemy caught within the radius of the Crystalnado will freeze for X seconds.

-Bone Spell-

Name of Spell: Dry Bones

When casted on an enemy, this will slow them by X% for X seconds. Also when the enemy moves or attacks they'll lose X% of their hit points.

-Earth Spell-

Name of Spell: Rocky Scales

Improves your armor by X%. Based on agility.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Spirits of the past.
The dragon envokes the spirits of dragons from long ago.
To cut to it, it basically summons a cragon spirit which can not be killed but flys around for a duration attacking enemies. Enemies with mana hit by it will slowly lose mana and take extra damage over time, while non mana enemies will be cursed. Duration of summon is fixed and cooldown is low. Spirit gains extra attack damage if allies die often (this bonous degenerates after each summon and has diminshing returns). Spirit loses attack damage if resummoned too often. Chance to curse enemies (with mana burn or curse) depends on attack damage and is around 75% for normal conditions. Level of ability determins the number of times curses can stack (max level of curse if it levels up each time it procs). Heroes can not be cursed by its attacks but instead take a bonus 10% physical damage on each hit.

Basically it is a primary ability aimed to be used often and does not deal too much damage. If left unused it basically can be charged up for more damage (well if it is left to fully cooldown) but that should not be too much of an increase. The curses it gives should be weakish but useful (like 10-20% range not anything too insane) and a general help to combat. Against heroes it just does some more DPS as curses can be too strong when used on heroes. As a bonus it gains extra power if allies die but this is not a factor for ballence as allies should not die and atmost it should add +50% attack damage (maybe only while the ally is dead, when revived the bonus should be dropped).

Level 15
Suffering:

The demon produces spikes from within his victim's body, once out, the victim dies, but the spikes do AoE damage to nearby opponents and come back to float around the demon, causing damage to nearby opponents for 30 seconds or until the demon is killed.

Targeted unit must be below 30% health to work. cannot target heroes.

(You should probably change the spikes to something else if you want)

Suffering:

The demon produces spikes from within his victim's body, once out, the victim dies, but the spikes do AoE damage to nearby opponents and come back to float around the demon, causing damage to nearby opponents for 30 seconds or until the demon is killed.

(You should probably change the spikes to something else if you want)

I need dragon spells not Demon spells but still its an idea ok hm...

The parasite produces spikes from within his victim's body, once out, the victim dies, but the spikes do AoE damage to nearby opponents and come back to float around the demon, causing damage to nearby opponents for 30 seconds or until the demon is killed.

I ll give you rep anyway :p

Level 5
Bone is relatively vague, as when I think bone, I think of both undeath and of demons (like Diablo stepping across the bone bridge through the portal to Hell) so I'm gonna list some from both perspectives.

Angry Dead - The Bone Dragon channels malignant energy into the earth, raising an army of skeletons to temporary life, and when they die, the life energy they've sapped heals the Bone Dragon. (Kind of like locust, but would be nice if skellies were attackable, since they would in theory be attackable.)

Rattlecage - Creates a prison out of flesh and bone that encircles an area and emits a noxious plague that slowly decimates the captives. If any die while imprisoned they will raise as skeletons under the service of the Bone Dragon for 15 seconds. (In GUI I think you could do this by basing it off of a single cast aoe like a 0.01 second rain of fire and triggering in multiple dummy units that block escape at a certain radius from the target center of the base spell, then spawn a dummy unit disease cloud that deals the periodic damage and a separate trigger that A unit dies + triggering unit has the disease buff = summon a skeleton 0,0 from the dead unit.)

For an Earth Dragon, the things that come to mind are more stone manipulation than meer transmutation. For example, instead of turning someone to stone, raising boulders from the ground and creating an armageddon of cold hard rock.

Earthshatter - Sunders the Earth, ripping rocks from the ground and creating a chasm to block ground units, and a floating wall to block flying units.

Uneven footing - causes a miniature earthquake, slowing units and for every shock, has a chance to knock down units standing in the area of effect. (This one could be based off the premade Earthquake spell and triggered to save all units in the aoe as a unitgroup [OMG, a unitgroup o_O] and each second randomly pick a number 1-100, then, if the number picked is greater then or equal to 75, for example, knock all units down stunning them for 1 second.)

Fire Dragons are so common that I can't think of anything too special that hasn't been done before, but for Water Dragons, I can imagine them sucking the water out of a creature, instantly killing it and summoning a water elemental out of its water...

Dehydrate - Speaking of the above, instantly kills a unit, and then summons a water elemental out of the body. The water elemental deals however much damage you want and lasts so-and-so amount of time. (Really easy to trigger, unit enters the effects of an ability + ability equals Dehydrate = summon water elemental at 0,0 from targeted unit.)

Quicksand - supermoisturizes the ground beneath an area, causing all ground units to be immobilized for x seconds.

The quicksand ability may seem like an Earth Dragon spell, but quicksand is caused by really wet dirt dripping down into a cave or sinkhole. It may work for either earth or water dragons.

1500 foot Pile Driver - use on any one you want - the dragon picks up the target unit, flies high up into the air then pounds it down on the ground again dealing damage and flinging units nearby a short distance away - units that land on destructible take damage.

Prominence - Fire - Manipulates with the sun itself, causing an entire area (a very large AoE) to take intense heat for a period of time. Units caught in the heat move slower and toil with every step they take, causing them to take damage with every movement they make in the AoE that intensifies (the more they move, the more pain they get). They also slowly loose health from dehydration (of course all this goes for enemies).

Yes, there are still some unused territory with Fire Dragons - everyone always thinks flaming breath, but maybe they could have control over more fire then just the fire they themselves create.

Jade Dragon - Earth Dragon - Encases the caster in Jade, slowing its move speed but granting it extra armor. Any spells cast upon the Dragon while under the effects of this cause the caster to take damage equal to the amount of mana that spells cost.

Shatter - Water Dragon - Freezes the target with icy breath, then flings it a short distance away causing the ice to shatter when it hits the ground causing intense damage.

Dance of the Dead - Bone Dragon - Re-awakens the dead in the target area for a short period of time with cursed music. The dead dance in a circular fashion in the target area (mix it up a bit too, make multiple types of dead appear each with different move patterns) around a central point somewhere in the casting area. Causes 3 - 6 circles of dancing dead at random locations within the AoE (have the diameter of the circles fairly large so they often intersect). Units hit by the dead take damage and are cursed, forcing them to move randomly against their will for a short period of time.

Level 6
-Fire Spell-

Name of Spell: Halo Fire

When casted, it will create a halo ring of fire above the fire dragon's head. When an enemy comes to close to the fire dragon the ring will exsplode, causing X amount of damage to anything in a 1000 meter range. But the bad thing about Halo Fire is, it'll do 25% more damage to yourself.

-Fire Spell-

Name of Spell: Burning Rage

When casted, it will give the fire dragon X% fly speed, but destoring X% of the dragon's life. If the dragon is killed with Burning Rage still active, then a large ball fire will pull any enemy to the ball and then exsplode on them causing them to light on fire dealing X damage for X seconds. (The exsplosion should deal no damage.)

-Water Spell-

Name of Spell: Cloak of the Clouds

When casted, this ability will cloak the water dragon for X seconds and any other dragons caught in the cloak. Any enemy dragons caught in the cloak will lose some of the fly speed for X seconds.

Heres a few more ideas I came up with. I'll see if I can come up with some more. :thumbs_up:

-Fire Spell-

Name of Spell: Burning Rage

When casted, it will give the fire dragon X% fly speed, but destoring X% of the dragon's life. If the dragon is killed with Burning Rage still active, then a large ball fire will pull any enemy to the ball and then exsplode on them causing them to light on fire dealing X damage for X seconds. (The exsplosion should deal no damage.)

Eh, spells that encourage suicide aren't the greatest ideas on hero centric maps

Level 14
Bone Spell :
Bone Wing Swing:
The bone dragon swings his wings, dealing damage to all units near it.

Fire spell :
Fiery Claw :
The fire dragon jumps to a target, striking it with a fiery claw then flies far away and strikes another target.

Ice spell :
Chilling Eye :
The ice dragon's eye creates a vortex of ice, slowing any unit walking near the vortex and dealing damage to him per second.

Water spell:
Wave :
The Water dragon creates a gigantic wave of water, dealing damage to enemies in a line.
Exemple:
X is the dragon, >>>>> is the line.
X>>>>>
>>>>> (it hits TWO lines, not ONE. Meaning: HUGE AoE)

Level 28
I'm looking and liking it =D

Chilling Eye is actually quite an easy spell to create and can still have good effects :3 (dummy which can attack, has frost attack and barrage), unless I want to trigger the damage obviously.

I won't comment all the other spells like before, I'll add the spells I like in my list (later on, kind of lazy right now).

I'm looking and liking it =D

Chilling Eye is actually quite an easy spell to create and can still have good effects :3 (dummy which can attack, has frost attack and barrage), unless I want to trigger the damage obviously.

I won't comment all the other spells like before, I'll add the spells I like in my list (later on, kind of lazy right now).

I should say arron your not allowed to use thous spells in the map for the contest (JUST kidding :D)

Bone Dragon Spell - Basilisk's Stare - channels dark energy into an icy stare, preventing units in the Dragons eye sight from moving until the spell's effect wears off or the Dragon looks away.

(Basically this effects the caster not other units, while this spell is effecting the caster, units in front and outwards of the Dragon cannot move, and their animations can be paused to simulate this. It's updated often while it's on, so if the Dragon looks away, the units can move again).

Fire Dragon Spell - Plume (Plume of Doom works if you like Rhymes) - The dragon strikes the ground, causing lava plumes to erupt in random areas around the caster, dealing damage and setting units caught in them on fire.

Bone Dragon Spell - Dark Will - Manipulates the bones of the target unit giving the caster control over it for a period of time. While under the effect of this spell, the target unit slowly dies from the effects and the caster can't perform any actions from concentrating on manipulating the target. Once the target dies or the caster stops control over it, the caster can move once more. Does not work on every type of enemy

Level 10

Corruption
Drain the target ground and any units standing on it of life. Deals AOE damage to the units in the target area, heals the Bone Dragon for a portion of the damage and creates a circle of blight.

Aura of Decay
A simple aura that removes armor from nearby enemies.

Groundspikes
Impales all units in an area around the Bone Dragon, dealing damage and stunning enemies.

Damned Land
Creates a circle of blight at the target point. The blight will heal all undead minions of the Bone Dragon.

Corruption
Drain the target ground and any units standing on it of life. Deals AOE damage to the units in the target area, heals the Bone Dragon for a portion of the damage and creates a circle of blight.

Aura of Decay
A simple aura that removes armor from nearby enemies.

Groundspikes
Impales all units in an area around the Bone Dragon, dealing damage and stunning enemies.

Damned Land
Creates a circle of blight at the target point. The blight will heal all undead minions of the Bone Dragon.

I would give you rep but i can i already gave you for the tips on the story :( but as soon as i spread rep i will give you thank you for your idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.