• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Development Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Oh god. Rui always deletes/closes threads/posts without askin people. Sometimes its ok and sometimes its not ok. (We are doomed)
I have answered this on another thread in Site Discussion.
The moderators do not ask people if they can close the thread or not. If the thread contains spam, swearing, or provocations (like your thread did), then the moderator has all the right to close it. And you do not have the right to ask it to be reopened.

Just a side note: watch out next time you decide to rampage through the forums asking for your thread to be opened. I ignored your respectful private message for being just that.

Level 13
I have answered this on another thread in Site Discussion.
The moderators do not ask people if they can close the thread or not. If the thread contains spam, swearing, or provocations (like your thread did), then the moderator has all the right to close it. And you do not have the right to ask it to be reopened.

Just a side note: watch out next time you decide to rampage through the forums asking for your thread to be opened. I ignored your respectful private message for being just that.

So if i provoke other people in their threads, I can get the thread closed? Its just plain wrong when im just giving facts of people being wrong when they are trying to flame me or my project.

Instead of closing, punish the ones who are causing trouble (I did not provoke anyone, just defending my arguments).

Rui

Rui

Level 41
So if i provoke other people in their threads, I can get the thread closed? Its just plain wrong when im just giving facts of people being wrong when they are trying to flame me or my project.
(...)
Let's see if I can make it clear: your ENTIRE thread was filled with junk. That's why I closed it.

And if I'm not wrong my message was "This is not going anywhere", or something similar.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
So long as I don't actually have to do any work; I'm unlikely to do more than briefly touch WC3 for two months.

You REALLY should have asked me first though.
You don't have to do any work, but I guess you're OK for these status - if you are a (good) map reviewer, active or not, your vote should count.
{Edit} And sorry about not asking you first.

Question and a comment.

Question: Was there a specific basis upon which the minimods were chosen?
(...)
No. Like I said, minimods are users with the ability to vote for approval or rejection of users. They are unable to cause any real damage. Their work will be watched over, though.

Level 9
No. Like I said, minimods are users with the ability to vote for approval or rejection of users. They are unable to cause any real damage. Their work will be watched over, though.

Well, I'm not afraid that they're going to do damage; I think they're all respectable people. Moreso important is if they're going to review. Reason I was wondering was because I wouldn't mind help reviewing maps, though this whole issue is entirely up to you. Perhaps somewhere people can apply?

Ash

Ash

Level 22
You don't have to do any work, but I guess you're OK for these status - if you are a (good) map reviewer, active or not, your vote should count.
{Edit} And sorry about not asking you first.

Well, in that case, I'll ask for my position back. I'm just too busy to do work, for mainly the same reasons as griffen, but I'd still like to consider myself a good map reviewer.

you're just a moron, accept it

Said by the king himself.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
you're just a moron, accept it
And then you ask me if I have something against you. His argument had already received a reply.
Defending me doesn't make you immune to punishment, and you just insulted another user.

Well, I'm not afraid that they're going to do damage; I think they're all respectable people. Moreso important is if they're going to review. Reason I was wondering was because I wouldn't mind help reviewing maps, though this whole issue is entirely up to you. Perhaps somewhere people can apply?
OK. I have sent you an invitation to join the social group.

Well, in that case, I'll ask for my position back. I'm just too busy to do work, for mainly the same reasons as griffen, but I'd still like to consider myself a good map reviewer.
(...)
I never actually removed your status. There you go.

Level 14
Minimods for map moderating is a ridiculous idea, and you didn't even ask the people beforehand. Not only does that scream bias based on reputation, but it says that you did it on a whim and without any precursor thought into what it would achieve. What do you hope to achieve by giving mod-inactive users the ability to influence the approval status of maps? I could've thought of a half-dozen more useful things to do for your promotion hitch.

Your attitude's totally changed in the past few days too as a result of the promotion. Sheesh, I wish someone that got promoted here would just act like a normal, unchanged, and respectable human being. Is that really so much to ask?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Minimods for map moderating is a ridiculous idea, and you didn't even ask the people beforehand. Not only does that scream bias based on reputation, but it says that you did it on a whim and without any precursor thought into what it would achieve. What do you hope to achieve by giving mod-inactive users the ability to influence the approval status of maps?
That is wrong. The minimods' point is not to moderate the Map Section. I am requesting at least 3 minimod reviews to approve a map. The minimods can do nothing but vote for approval or rejection. They cannot change the status of a map.
Out of all the minimods mentioned, only Ash and Captain Griffen were not contacted. This is because I know they are experienced map reviewers, and their opinion should count whenever they play a map and come back to comment it.

I know your counter-argument will question some the minimods' competence, but I already have a plan for that as well.
What I can tell you for now is that I know, more or less, the experience level of each of the minimods appointed, and I know, regardless of the number of minimod votes, when to trust (or not) a review.

I could've thought of a half-dozen more useful things to do for your promotion hitch.
I had more in my mind, but Ralle has a few plans that I did not know of, and I have yet to speak to him about them.

Your attitude's totally changed in the past few days too as a result of the promotion. Sheesh, I wish someone that got promoted here would just act like a normal, unchanged, and respectable human being. Is that really so much to ask?
I apologize, but I don't understand. The only thing I changed in my attitude is that I'm actually replying to users' complaints regarding my job.

Rising, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. All that being a minimod means is that your map review gets put into an easier-to-access place. Instead of having to look through user comments for decent reviews, the map moderator can just look at the minimod review if s/he needs a quick overview.

EDIT: Didn't see Rui's post.

Level 14
Rui said:
I know your counter-argument will question some the minimods' competence, but I already have a plan for that as well.
What I can tell you for now is that I know, more or less, the experience level of each of the minimods appointed, and I know, regardless of the number of minimod votes, when to trust (or not) a review.
Actually, my counter-argument is more concerned with what good this does. So there are some minimods, hooray, but... That doesn't solve the problem. Just the same as if you added 3 new map moderators, you just add a few minimods and expect it'll right itself? The devil is in the details, Rui, and I know that you're well aware of it, so I've no need to elaborate.
Rui said:
Out of all the minimods mentioned, only Ash and Captain Griffen were not contacted.
Ah, the only two that posted here (as far as I can tell). Still, you should always at least make a motion to contact users before implementing them in something like this, regardless of their standing. It's just good business.
Rui said:
I apologize, but I don't understand. The only thing I changed in my attitude is that I'm actually replying to users' complaints regarding my job.
Maybe you're just representing yourself better now than before, what with posting a lot more often in the only area of the site I frequent. Who am I to judge? I withdraw my previous statement.

Pyritie said:
Rising, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. All that being a minimod means is that your map review gets put into an easier-to-access place. Instead of having to look through user comments for decent reviews, the map moderator can just look at the minimod review if s/he needs a quick overview.
So in other words, minimods are useless except en masse. Let's think here, what if those minimods were mods? Then rather than require multiple minimod reviews and a mod to check it over, one person would handle it all. Nice. I guess this falls back to the "can you trust these people with mod status" question, but seriously.. If you can trust them to represent "respected users of the staff" as minimods, they damned well be qualified for the full mod position. Otherwise, they're only a blemish upon the title and the staff (just like a bad mod), regardless of technicalities.

Anyways, I didn't really intend this to get long or argumentative, so allow me to withdraw now with my last song sung.

So in other words, minimods are useless except en masse. Let's think here, what if those minimods were mods? Then rather than require multiple minimod reviews and a mod to check it over, one person would handle it all. Nice. I guess this falls back to the "can you trust these people with mod status" question, but seriously.. If you can trust them to represent "respected users of the staff" as minimods, they damned well be qualified for the full mod position. Otherwise, they're only a blemish upon the title and the staff (just like a bad mod), regardless of technicalities.

It's not just whether they'd be qualified or represent the staff. It's also to a simple way to see whether they actually do their job.

Level 14
Although, Im not saying Mods are bad here, Mini-mods and Mods kind of balance each other. If two mini-mods say that a map should not be approved, while a moderator says it should be approved, you may know somthings wrong.

Actually, I dont have time to come up with my argument now, gotta get my bones checked >.>

habit,
~Asomath

Level 13
First: My most sincere congratulations Rui.

Second: People... don't you see thay you turned a thread that should be full with friendly congratulations, suggestions and ideas to improve the site into a thread full of useless flame?
HappyTauren, do you actually enjoy provoking useless flame with your comments? Your first post was full of nonsense and specially designed to make people react in a negative way. I hope you enjoy it, I think it would be rather sad to see you posting this useless flame for nothing, proving that you have way more free time than you should.
Others: Be wise, if you see someone deliberatly seeking to convert a thread into a meeting of flamers, just ignore it and report the post. Counter-flaming is as bad (if not worse) than flaming itself.

To conclude, I wish these changes in staff and in the system improves the site and makes it move forward into brighter future. Good luck with your job Rui, as well as all the others mods, mini-mods and recently appointed users who hold a responsability within this domain.

Level 13
There is a big difference between saying "X is an inadequate user for the mini-mod job" and "X is an asshole".

And some opinions just shouldn't be made public.

Level 8
HappyTauren said:
And if I think someone is an asshole, I will damn straight say it
And you have every right. There is a fine line between those that you should, and should not say it to or in front of, though. You don't want to tell Ralle he is a di*k ass mother f*cker (Not implying anything At All), or you might find yourself faceing a community with one less of a user. Masiah has a point when he says there are some things left better unsaid (And this was probably one of them ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.