• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #5 - Poll

Vote for your favourite entry!

• Jaret (Zeus) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1753434-post419.html[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • kola (Cyclops) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1753181-post418.html[/url]

• Krl70 (Dwarf) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1754530-post464.html[/url]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

photo_1_4ea0046557275884902c10e3291a6e36.jpg

concept%20art.png
contest.png
number.png
5.png

poll.png

Mythology
Contestants are to create a concept for something mythological. This can be a creature, a person, an environment, etc. It can be taken from real myths or it can be made up.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png
  • enjoy
  • Nudl9
  • The World Is Flat
    • Judging will be checked by ike_ike
contest%20judging.png

"Correct"ness
Does the creature/human have realistic anatomy? (Like if the structure of the design is balanced and aesthetically pleasing.) Does the environment make geological sense? Etc./15

Creativity
How inventive is the concept? Does the creature/environment look original or does it look generic?/15

Theme
How well does the concept fit into the theme of mythology?/15

Style
How well does the entrant take advantage of their medium? Do they show creativity in their depiction? Is the style suitable for a concept?/5
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Lots of great entries, folks. I'm personally a bit divided on which to vote for, so I'm keeping it to myself a while longer. :3

Level 10
I don't know if anyone noticed, but I'm not on that list, tho I did post an entry, that got approved by Pyrite...

Hmmm... My vote goes to... Mr.Goblin, because of the detail, and the feeling of huge-ness of the leviathan.

Level 16
Well my vote went to Tails96 (Kraken) because i like his idea and creation..
Though everybody's concept was great, especially 67chrome's, Pyramidhe@d's, Mr.Goblin's and shiiK's
So those guys that I mentioned are getting +rep from me including tails69 ofc :)

Level 15
I narrowed it down to Tails96, 67chrome, and Shiik. After that it was an extremely hard decision because all three were brilliant and they also represented three very different styles. I ended up choosing 67chrome b/c I think the level of detail on that one and the way he blended the effects with the being itself was incredible.

Level 18
wow, cool we have a lot of submissions!
But this makes it also hard to choose.. but I liked 67chrome's entry the most.
The created atmosphere there is just awesome!

But there also were a lot of nice entries!
The Kraken was very well done, lovely details and nice colored!
I liked the details on ShiiK's work a lot, pretty realistic arms/hands!
Also Mr.Goblins Leviathan is awesome, although I don't like that overused green color.

Good Job all! Want to see other good stuff in following contests! :)

Level 11
Kraken and the Cerberus are both amazing (not that the others aren't great too, it's just that those two caught my eye)! I'm a bit surprised by the number of participants; looks like many got interested in this competition. Well done :goblin_yeah:

Since it's a CONCEPT ART competition, I voted for the concept that showed the most creativity to my eyes...

so I believe, even though Tails69's entry is epically executed, it's just an octopus,
same thing for 04gusigo, or Krl70, or -Berz-

I'm sorry guys, but these for me aren't creative entries... they are slightly tweaked reproductions.. although, they have been well executed, these would surely get a better grade from me if it was a 2D art competition...

On the other hand, I believe Shiik's entry got my vote, cause of all the small details he added, from the skull shape, to the armour to the scorpion type of body, really cool.

Although the choice of colours could be better, overall it's a really awesome concept.

Level 18
Wow, there were some really great entries like Mr.Goblin's Leviathan, 67chrome's Cerberus, Tail96's Kraken and 04gusigo's Inverse Sun. But the best of all would be Tail96's Kraken. I was also considering 04gusigo's Inverse Sun, but it didn't really look like a concept art to me, even though it's a beautiful piece of art.

I'm glad to see so many successful entries, and may the best win :wink:

Level 13
Yeah there were many great entries, I'm surprised that Berz only has 4 votes, his was really good D:

Yeah there were many great entries, I'm surprised that Berz only has 4 votes, his was really good D:
Since it's a CONCEPT ART competition, I voted for the concept that showed the most creativity to my eyes...

so I believe, even though Tails69's entry is epically executed, it's just an octopus,
same thing for 04gusigo, or Krl70, or -Berz-

I'm sorry guys, but these for me aren't creative entries... they are slightly tweaked reproductions.. although, they have been well executed, these would surely get a better grade from me if it was a 2D art competition...

that might explain it? :\

Level 48
Mr. Goblin, would you stop laughing at other contestants, please? Of course it's a concept art contest, but art is half of the deal. You can't pass an awesome concept with a few scratches and liens. And besides, Tails69's 'octopus' is actually a Kraken, and it has an island on top of it and whatnot, so it's more original than a simple octopus recreation. :v

Mr. Goblin, would you stop laughing at other contestants, please?
I'm not laughing, and I belive my post clearly explained that these drawings are great.. I just think the members didn't took more than 2 minutes to think about their concept, compared to the rest who actually mixed more than 2 animals together and what not.. I find this answer from you as an insult, but I'll get over it because it seems you just miss-understood what I said (which is possible since I'm far from mastering english)

Of course it's a concept art contest, but art is half of the deal. You can't pass an awesome concept with a few scratches and liens.
I belive you can, even tough it's not recommended, indeed you need the skills to represent what you had in mind, to give the idea of the textures and the biological structure, and we've all had this conversation already and I belive Shiik, Pyramidhead, Kimberly and I explained it well.

And besides, Tails69's 'octopus' is actually a Kraken, and it has an island on top of it and whatnot, so it's more original than a simple octopus recreation. :v

I simply didn't see the Island at all, I'm sorry, that gives a + for Tails69. But I would still wouldn't vote for him, and I'll tell you why on a private convo.

Now that have been said, to all the contestant and their entrys = You have some mad mojo skills in drawing :D, but I belive for next time, try to be a tad more creative.

Level 48
I just think the members didn't took more than 2 minutes to think about their concept, compared to the rest who actually mixed more than 2 animals together and what not..
This is what I mean by 'laughing about'. If I were one of those contestants, I'd be quiet offended. Besides, concept arts are not only about mixing animals, they're about originality and surreality as well, and a concept that looks like something out of this world without any... Animal parts or anything is a lot more original than 'zebra + rabbit + dragon' or whatever.

Level 7
I just have to say this:
I was actually thinking that Mr.Goblin's entry would have like at least 40% of the whole amount of votes when I saw the WIP. I don't know why, but The WIP's actually a lot better than the finished product. I thought something epic will come out, but... meh.
And for the Cerberus (67chrome), it would have gotten more votes if it was actually not that "Blurry".
For Pyramidhe@d's entry, the Will o' Wisp, It was great. I like how you turned it into an undead, and still references to the original Wisps. Reminds me of those Fairies from Zelda as well, which are Wisps as well (I think).
For Odin, Huginn, & Muninn (-Berz-), The quality of the "Textures" are awesome, but IT kinda looks too... Static. And the shadings a little off.
For the Yurei (Elainiel), It does look a little "Stacked on" (If you know what I mean), and it would have worked a lot better if it was a "Scene drawing" contest, but your concept is pretty interesting. The "girl" could have been executed a little better, but the surrounding's just interesting as hell, and I especially loved the "Skeleton head" to the left-down corner... Great nonetheless.
For the Chimera (Kimberly), I can say that that one was my fave. I loved how clean, sharp and at the same time smooth it is, but I know you could have done even better, since you say'd yourself it looked a little "plastic". IF you had more time, I'm sure your entry would have been on the 1st place.
Tails96 (Kraken), your entry was pretty good, but the originality killed it for us. I don't know what a kraken has with the Norse mithology, but meh... It's pretty well executed... that's all.
Dionesiist (That weird thing called Chiron), it was pretty original, and great. I loved it. I don't know how to give feedback to such great artwork, and I loved that you kept the "Shading" lines when drawing. Great job.
Krl70 (Dwarf), I don't want to compare it to the rest, cause it doesn't have the rank they have, but... You need practice on the human anatomy, the Hands, when you zoom in, look realistic, but the body doesn't, and the legs would have looked better.
dead-man-walking (Leviathan), same bullshit as mine why it didn't get much votes... not colored. It's nice, not too great, but decent. I liked your entry.
kola (Cyclops), I don't understand why you don't have any votes... Your entry was fable-tastic (if that's a real word), Well, it indeed didn't look Extra Awesome, but it was sure really great. The shading was great, and the idea itself, And I loved especially the fingertips with the fire.
deepblade (Beast's Invocation), I dislike the fact that you made the background black, but it's your opinion. I can see it's a dragon, the head, the arms, all... but below... God. My eyes are bleeding. But when you look at it long enough, you can see what it is. For all others, download the picture, and invert the colors.
stefanstan95 (Zeus), you drew Zeus... Just like me. I like your Zeus a lot, since It looks like a man. Yes, the hand's a little small, but... I like it. The cloth could have been a little better, And I love, especially, the face.... AWESOME. THIS IS SPARTA.
04gusigo (Inverse Sun), your Entry was the most creative and original, never would have thought someone drew a moon... oh, sun. It's clean and sharp, but doesn't get much votes since it's... well, a sun.
shiiK (Phorcys), the wips didn't get my attention that much, but when I look at the finished product... God. It turned out great, and I don't know who "Phorcys" is, but... nice.
Wimbo125 (Custos Animarum (Keeper of Souls)), this one was pretty interesting to me... Never did i saw something like this... and you did submit it in a really... weird way. but, the concept looks decent, but isn't original. A human with a skelet-head of some weird dinosaur animal. The hair's alright, and the anatomy does remind of humans.
GhostThruster (Naga Loch Ness Monster), I'm surprised you didn't draw soemthing from Halo, but... Naga? What? But the monster looks like a dragon, and the face's great... Well, decent.
DAMN IT! I Spent about 30 minutes on this. I'm sorry I can't give you much constructive criticism, but... Hope you don't mind the criticism.

This is what I mean by 'laughing about'. If I were one of those contestants, I'd be quiet offended. Besides, concept arts are not only about mixing animals, they're about originality and surreality as well, and a concept that looks like something out of this world without any... Animal parts or anything is a lot more original than 'zebra + rabbit + dragon' or whatever.

You basically says the same thing as me mate, and you are contradicting yourself..

Because, having a good understanding of animal biological structure and actually be able to mix them up so it's something diffrent = I belive that is being CREATIVE, you are talking about originality? Ever seen a Zebra+rabbit+dragon or whatever? ....NO YOU HAVEN'T and if it is well executed, I belive this is being highly original, because the artist actually mixed all these things together and made them work together....

And once again, to get done with this Idea of ''being original'' I belive a Huge octopus with an island on it's back is being ''original'' but it is less original than actually mixing a lightbug with a fairy, that you can see through it's skin, cause it reveals the skeleton. With a hearth that is actually glowing, and adding a Big smile full of teeth just to bring the creepyness to up an other level.
Or, doing a muscled human body with a head that is a mix between someshort of fish and a tiger with human features, mixed with an armor that have been 100% tought by the artist, and all that, with a lower body part made out of a strong black ''lobster thingy''.

Now, your choice is your choice, you think Tail69 did a great job? I think so too.. I just love the other entries more because: TO ME they seemed more original.

Level 7
Well, two things: first, there is kraken in norse "legends" (or something like that). And in the original story there is also an island.
AND second: I am sorry, the concept was not the ,most original, but when you have two days until deadline and still nothing, well, concept won't be the most important thing for you. But if for you (I mean Mr.Goblin) the concept is more important, well, your opinion is your opinion.

Anyway, your entry is better than mine, but... how much time did you work on it? (More than 2-3 hours, I suppose)

Level 8
concept won't be the most important thing for you.

Not the most important to you? You do realize that it was a CONCEPT ART contest, right? That was the only point to the whole thing.

A lot of you are missing the point and so far the only person that has made any sense at all, has been Mr. Goblin. The contest was about concept, which is originality. Not only was the Kraken concept inaccurate but it hardly looks like an island is on top of it. It's a great picture, I agree, but I see no concept within it.

Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.