• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[COMPLETED] Terraining Mini Contest Reload #1 - Mist

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
TERRAINING MINI CONTEST RELOAD #1 [CLOSED]

FINAL ENTRIES

All final entries arranged by score, first place first and so on.

Keiji

Ungoliath

Avahor

gusanomental

Blood Raven

PrinceYaser

Kristopher

nightelfbuilder

MadMax

Neruvatar

Arrrr

Alucinor.png
Terrain Contest - Fog - p3 v1.1.png
sandstormfinal.jpg
FinalEntry.jpg
Arrival.PNG
Protectors.png
Безымянный.png
?.jpg
Screenshot_2.png
solitude final.png
ScreenFinal 0_1.jpg

Alright let's start simple. This is an old theme that was up for debate but never visited in the contest runs.

Participants are to create a scene laden in thick or heavy mist, fog, dust or smoke.

And because the trick here is making the most out of doodads in a low visibility scene, I'll throw in the addendum that no more than a total of 20 doodads (excluding lighting and fog) should be visible in the final scene.

RULES
  • Submissions must follow the contest theme and the rules laid out here.
  • Submissions may not be started before the launch of the contest.
  • Image editing software (PhotoShop, GIMP, etc) may not be used to enhance the final product. You may however use them to crop the image and e.g. add borders.
  • You are allowed to use The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0 but can base it on whatever map you want as long as no other rules listed here are violated.
  • Only publicly available resources may be used. A link must be provided if it isn't found in the Hive or WC3C database.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Post at least one valid (unfinished) work in process to show that it's your own work.
  • The final entry must be posted before the deadline.

SCORING

I will score the entries myself. You are at my mercy.

Creativity Includes how the theme was interpreted and portrayed. Note that there's a fine line between creative and completely offbeat. /10

Tecnique
Executional quality, techniques, tricks and overall terraining capacity. /10

Aesthetics
Overall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack both detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition. /10

AWARDS

First place gets 20 rep and a spot in the winner sticky thread.

DEADLINE

All entries must be submitted before February 1st 2018, 23:59:59 GMT.

DEADLINE REACHED.

Link to judging.

Last edited:
Level 36
I'll make sure it gets done. (By someone else).

20 doodads you say? The real challenge here will be to get away with more than 20.

Or make fladder sprain an ankle while counting.

I'll give it a ponder, if an idea decides to take residence in my head I'll throw it onto a canvas.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'll give it a ponder, if an idea decides to take residence in my head I'll throw it onto a canvas.
Terrain an idea shrouded in a cloud of uncertainty. Bam, you've got your entry right there!

this is not really my type of tea, shackled by mist and a doodad limit.
Oh such a tight dealine for me. What a shame, I was actually willing to participate.
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you guys over the deafening sound of you being COWARDS!

Level 36
You must post at least one WIP (Work In Progress) and the final entry.

Is there any required map size?

Is the Path Blocker is counted?

No requirements on map-size, it'd be quite dumb to do so, as you are not required to submit the map.

And pathing blockers do not count, as they are invisible, the rules state that only 20 doodads can be visible,
excluding lighting and fog.

Not that I get why you would want to have pathing blockers in a scenic terrain, though.

Level 11
Hmm, enough of designing red-fire hell inferno map. =D. Maybe I should give this a try:

full

Total Doodad Count (include lighting and fogs) : 8
Lighting and Fog
Glow: 0 (Comes from UTM 4.0, does it count as doodad here or part of light and fog?)
Light Ray: 0 (Comes from UTM 4.0, does it count as doodad here or part of light and fog?)
Eerie Fog: 0 (Comes from UTM 4.0, does it count as doodad here or part of light and fog?)

Total Doodad Count (exclude lighting and fogs): 8

Update 21.1.2018 2:51pm

Reduced density of fog, incorporated native lifeforms, introduced minerals
full

Total Doodad Count (include lighting and fogs) : 25
Lighting and Fog
Glow: 4 (Comes from UTM 4.0, does it count as doodad here or part of light and fog?)
Light Ray: 4 (Comes from UTM 4.0, does it count as doodad here or part of light and fog?)
Eerie Fog: 4 (Comes from UTM 4.0, does it count as doodad here or part of light and fog?)

Total Doodad Count (exclude lighting and fogs): 13

Update 21.1.2018 5:15pm

Realigned & reduced light rays, removed eerie fog since it doesn't help for now, reduced glow, added an inhabitant, resized lanterns and added minor details.
full

Total Doodad Count (include lighting and fogs) : 24
Lighting and Fog
Glow: 3 (Comes from UTM 4.0, does it count as doodad here or part of light and fog?)
Light Ray: 2 (Comes from UTM 4.0, does it count as doodad here or part of light and fog?)
Eerie Fog: 0 (Comes from UTM 4.0, does it count as doodad here or part of light and fog?)

Total Doodad Count (exclude lighting and fogs): 19

Last edited:
Level 8
You must post at least one WIP (Work In Progress) and the final entry.

No requirements on map-size, it'd be quite dumb to do so, as you are not required to submit the map.

And pathing blockers do not count, as they are invisible, the rules state that only 20 doodads can be visible,
excluding lighting and fog.

Not that I get why you would want to have pathing blockers in a scenic terrain, though.

Hehehe, I'm only thinking about it.
And by the way, this quote:
I think you only need to post a screenshot of your final work not the map.

So you mean, no need to send a MAP but an IMAGE is enough? I don't know how to process out ....

P.S. Sorry for my bad ENGLISH XD

Level 11
Alright, Sunday night is going to end soon and I'll be busy again for another 5 days. Before that, I would like to point a few things out tho:

no more than a total of 20 doodads (excluding lighting and fog) should be visible in the final scene.

I am confused (partly it's my first time joining a contest), "excluding lighting and fog" should have a boundary or something. I mean, does fog include:
  • terrain fog
  • global weather - dungeon fog (including blue, green and red fog, as well as "heavy" and "light")
  • global weather - wind (heavy), outland wind (heavy) and outland wind (light)
  • eerie fog (UTM) ---> are these generic fog?
  • fog (UTM) ---> and these too?
  • blighted mist ---> it's kinda like fog, I guess?
  • disease cloud ---> also a type of fog too?
  • cloud (dragonhawk's ability) ---> it's an ability effect, but does it count as well?
  • smoke smudge ---> ???
  • bubbles steam ---> ???
  • magical glowing runes ---> if you enlarge them, they are like sparkling fogs too!
Or, to put it simply, a fog is some effect/doodad that partly clouds the vision of an audience?

*_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-*-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-*

WIP #4
Not much change from WIP #3, just added eerie fog for fun (yet to be reviewed) It's a GIF file btw.

SOLITUDE
full

Last edited:
My Entry titled
"Cinders"
full

full
full
(I love Paris, its burning is just for the purpose of the contest)

Edit: I placed a cloud at the ends of the lightning but somehow on the first shot it won't show it's probably caused by the limitations of the World editor but in the second shot it can be fairly seen. Can't really do anything about that since photoshop isn't allowed and other angles is just ugly. Also won't add more doodads since I might get carried away and forget the doodad limit. To Fladder, if you only need one image, my entry would be the Pic #3(The last one).

Last edited:
Level 11
My Entry titled
"Cinders"
full

(I love Paris, its burning is just for the purpose of the contest)

I love this! In my opinion, the lightnings can be moved higher up or add more storm clouds so that its beginning cannot be seen, otherwise it looks like it came out of nowhere. Well, I hope it's a WIP, cuz I can see a lot of potentials to add in.

Can't wait to see more!

Level 9
Hello. Here is my humble and maybe not so foggy entry, inspired by Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space.
I've used just 19 doodads, taken from both The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0 and Born²Modificate's High-Res Doodad Pack.

Now this one is very impressive.

First two are as cool as expected for the contest but im still wondering if anyone will come up with The Dark Portal with illidan staring at you inside the fog.

Level 34
You post this the day after I returned to work. You bastard.

We shall see what happens. Maybe I squeeze some time out of somewhere.

Level 36
Those are some pretty cool scenes, Arrr. If you pick one a polish it it could be real cool!

I especially like the creativeness.

And that's some really nice sandstorm effects Avahor, you really managed to make those units
shine as much as humanly possible. It's just a shame you didn't use better looking models.

Maybe I squeeze some time out of somewhere.

Do, please do!

Level 15
uhm
.... It's just a shame you didn't use better looking models.

Still it's no final entry, I'll try with some new "actors"
progress 5
progress5.jpg
progress6
progress6.jpg

and final entry with actor changed as Keiji complains xD!
sandstorm.jpg

animated
sand.gif

Sand Storm: Final entry
sandstormfinal.jpg

Visible doodads used ( excluding sand and lightning effects): 2
Units used:4

Last edited:
Level 36
Interesting development, also, a tip: The green selection circle for the camera is visible.

Try making another camera off-screen, and then select it after you've set the angle, then
that circle won't blemish your shot. Or, alternatively, set the camera and then go to the
doodad pallet, and instead of using V you press S and K, then the sky and fog will show
and you don't get the "Game View Settings" up in the corner.

Level 15
Interesting development, also, a tip: The green selection circle for the camera is visible.

Try making another camera off-screen, and then select it after you've set the angle, then
that circle won't blemish your shot. Or, alternatively, set the camera and then go to the
doodad pallet, and instead of using V you press S and K, then the sky and fog will show
and you don't get the "Game View Settings" up in the corner.

hey, yeah. my laptop screen bright trolls me...
Nice tips Keiji, I'll apply those.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.