1. Join in on Icon Contest #17 and show your interpretation of a legendary equipment set!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join us in our custom games night on Saturday, June 30. We'll see you on Battle.net and Discord!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Texturing Contest #28 has come to an end; vote for your favorite swamp dweller here! You can vote up to 3 entries.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Maxwell vs PrinceYaser Icon Challenge has come to a finish. See the results here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. We've created the Staff Job Openings thread. We're currently in need of icon, video production, and social/multimedia positions to be filled. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Music Contest #10 Retro is out! Join us for some retro/vintage fun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don't be stagnant - embrace change! The time has come to evolve and join the Techtree Contest #12 - Evolution.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. On May 20th a new law about privacy and data processing comes into work in the EU. I am no lawyer and I need help figuring out if we comply and if not, what we must do about it. Please message me if you can provide any assistance. Read more. Ralle
    Dismiss Notice

[COMPLETED] Terraining Mini Contest Reload #2 - Machinery

Discussion in 'Terrain Board' started by fladdermasken, Feb 15, 2018.

1. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    TERRAINING MINI CONTEST RELOAD #2

Let's step it up a little bit. Time to play with cogs and gears.

Participants are to create a scene centered around a piece of machinery.

There are some pretty good models to do machinery, but few complete wholes. So in this run, constructing a machine out of doodads will very likely be your main goal.

Some inspiration.

machine1.jpg machine2.jpg machine3.jpg machine4.jpg

And for something done in the WE, check out Cogs by raid1000.

RULES
    • Submissions must follow the contest theme and the rules laid out here.
    • Submissions may not be started before the launch of the contest.
    • Image editing software (PhotoShop, GIMP, etc) may not be used to enhance the final product. You may however use them to crop the image and e.g. add borders.
    • You are allowed to use The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0 but can base it on whatever map you want as long as no other rules listed here are violated.
    • Only publicly available resources may be used. A link must be provided if it isn't found in the Hive or WC3C database.
    • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Post at least one valid (unfinished) work in process to show that it's your own work.
    • The final entry must contain a screenshot of your entry. You may include the map if you want to share it, but it is not required.
    • The final entry must be posted before the deadline.

SCORING

I will score the entries myself. You are at my mercy.

Creativity Includes how the theme was interpreted and portrayed. Does your machine do anything that is apparent in the picture or is it just scraps of doodads thrown together? Note that there's a fine line between creative and completely offbeat. /10
    Detail Level of detail in the picture. Impurities like disorder, ill-fitted details and poor placement will take away points. /10
    Tecnique How good the execution is, and a measurement of the techniques that got you there. Good construction work will get you higher scores. /10
    Aesthetics How good your entry looks as a whole, nothing else considered. An entry can lack both detail and technique but still have an overall nice look to it. /10

AWARDS

First place gets 20 rep and a spot in the winner sticky thread.

DEADLINE

All entries must be submitted before March 21st 2018, 23:59:59 GMT.

2. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am looking forward to see what all our creative minds are gonna produce for this one!

3. Neruvatar

Neruvatar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Might be joining. Was never a fan of steampunk design in WE. But hey, this might change my view.

4. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

JASS Class Tutor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Why not using arena?

5. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Aww, why did you get rid of the doodad limit? That's what really sparked creativity in the last mini contest in my opinion. What makes it "mini" now? More like "unofficial".
    That being said, I'm still interested in what you guys come up with. Probably not gonna participate though, the theme doesn't spark many creative ideas in me.

6. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I agree the doodad limit was a good idea. It should be kept, maybe not the exact same limit though. If it's too late to add now, maybe for the next one :)

7. Kristopher

Kristopher

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think that the limit of doodads in this theme will strongly constraint the authors, not giving them creativity.

8. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'll have to disagree here. Limitation is the main source of innovation and creative thinking, and not just in art. Without problems and limitations to work around and solve, there would be no need for progress.
    Ofcourse, with this theme the limit of 20 doodads could be too restrictive, maybe increase it a bit (if you decide to implement it that is).

9. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's called a mini-contest because it's not in the Arena, that's how it is in every section
    and how it's always been. There was never anything special about the "mini" prefix related
    to the limitation in doodads.

And yeah, doodad limitation made sense in the last contest, but it doesn't for this one, there
    is already a limitation in the sense of what you're supposed to centre the terrain around, the
    theme.

No, not always. Freedom to do what you want to do is also important in art, a good mixture
    of both is always a nice cocktail. Anyway.

As with the previous one: If something pops into my head, I'll join.

10. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So when does this start? I'm not a good terrainer at all, but some good ideas are coming to me haha :D

And are we only to create a machinery using pieces, or can we make up a scene by using a ready model in the middle?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  11. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [ONGOING] Terraining Mini Contest Reload #2 - Machinery

The fact that the thread says "ongoing" could potentially be a hint, it's started right now.

And you can make the scenery exactly how you want to make it, but there is a criteria in
    the judging called "Detail", which you won't score high in if you just dump a finished model
    in the middle of the screen. Then again, if you feel confident you can score highly in the
    other fields, then by all means, go ahead.

12. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Oh im bad at reading hints, so has it started ?:vw_wtf::goblin_yeah::ogre_hurrhurr::goblin_boom: (sarcasm intended)

Ill do my best trying not to dump complete models in the middle :p ill make my inner terrainer artist come out with this contest hehe :p

13. Neruvatar

Neruvatar

Resources:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    "What shall we do? The heart is not telling us what to do!"

Possible WIP. Under heavy modifying. Ideas are there, but fear it's not good enough. =(

14. Naze

Naze

Off-Topic Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not bad, I like the mood it built and all, but still it isn't impressive! Remember that you guys don't have a doodad limit in this one, so you can go crazy about your machines and create big impressive scenes.

Everyone is welcome to take a look at these examples of machines built with doodads:

By frostwhisper: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/media/frack-yeah-legion.10790/full
    By raid1000: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/cogs-update-png.57738/
    By raid1000: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/s5-jpg.39314/
    By fladdermasken: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/steampunk-afterlife-showcase-png.140856/

Also giving a glance at our terrain galleries is great to get references and ideas of what's possible to do inside WE: Complete List of Terrain Galleries

15. Neruvatar

Neruvatar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well. its a zoom in pic. The central piece is not in the photo yet cuz I need to refine them

16. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    WIP from me! The biggest, baddest, most badass, strongest mining machine in the whole universe! Behold the MinesUranus v1.0

[​IMG]

Please do give feedback! Also I'm having trouble importing alpha tiles, even with tutorials :D Any ideas? I import an alpha tile and set its path to some other tile path which should work :S

Attached Files:

17. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah...

Jokes aside, that's looking good-ish!

Obviously the ground needs lots of work, but I think you know that.
    I would also advice making the background a lot darker, and preferably
    with the light source coming from the roof like what you're doing, I think.

Oh, and maybe resize the crystals a bit, might also want to move the one
    that is obscuring the screen on the left. There are some really good, or better
    looking, crystal doodads in Tobyfat's Sc2 conversion pack. You should have a
    look at that.

Keep working on it! :)

18. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Ahahah, size doesnt always matter :ogre_hurrhurr:

Thanks! Im trying to change the groud tile with an alpha tile whichll help me add depth to the whole scene but i failed importing the tile :s

Hmm, about the lighting ill try what youve suggested. Itll look even bigger with that way. I also want the crystals to radiate a weak light as well. Ill add a lot more on crystals on the ground.

Ill do that! Thanks for all the tips n suggestions, be on the watch for new wips :p

-----

Btw, would you suggest increasing the machine's size or does it look good? Im going to add more details on it in further updates too.

19. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Composition-wise I think the size is good as is, it doesn't take up too much space in the terrain,
    leaving it open to other details, but it is also prominently settled in the middle, setting it up as the
    centrepiece of the image. But in the end it depends, do you want the drill to seem massive or normal
    sized? If you want it to seem massive, I would suggest you scale the other doodads appropriately small
    instead of scaling it up, and well, if you want it as is, you just keep everything the size it currently is ;)

20. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Hehe youve surely got a good eye. I think ill scale down other models bcz currently the machine looks good as it is now. I might just have to lower it down a bit once i successfully import alpha tiles because of the lower screen gap but we'll see it later :p

Thanks again senpai!