• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Coastal Survival

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
-Coastal Survival-
Chaotic Seaside Survival,
Very hardcore with extreme focus on teamwork.
You are not prepared!

Coastal Survival is a chaotic survival map, you must defend your coastal base, sea creatures will attack your base from the land because its in the way between them and the sea.

Pirates will attack from the ocean with the intent to loot your gold and plunder your booty.

Your goal is to survive for as long as you can!

222943-530718d91da471e847f5846b3023065a.jpg

Massing Wood.

Defending Gates.

Defending the coast from pirates.

Information

Coastal Survival is a chaotic survival map, you must defend your coastal base by securing the 3 land entrances (initially guarded by non rebuild-able gates) with defenses and keeping them repaired also you must watch the shores because pirates will attack from the sea and steal your gold.

If pirates melee one of your buildings buildings with less than 50% hp except farms and towers you will lose 5 gold every time. Your goal is to survive for as long as you can or an hour and 20 victory timer optional.

Trees regrow thus unlimited lumber you must mass wood to build income buildings and repair your gate/walls which are very lumber heavy.

If a gate falls you can build walls which are weaker than gates but are your only option if a gate breaks.

There are 4 main races, humans, dwarves, elves and naga, each race has its advantage you should have one of each race to optimize your chance of survival in this game.

Good luck!

Added an optional victory timer so that players can seem to have a goal although the original intent is to survive until you can not survive anymore.

Removed the three starting gates as the main threat diverted to pirates now.

Added new races (14 total)
Heavily balanced all the new races, they are no longer in Beta.
Can only pick each race once now.

This map was accomplished with rigorous testing with the intent of keeping it easy to understand while not making it too simple.

I would love to hear any feedback from my fans!
Contents

Coastal Survival Beta 5.0 (Map)

Reviews
Rufus
You need to update your description. Check this link out, as it may be of help: Description Guide - Maps Status set to awaiting update.
Paillan
The terrain is quite plain... maybe you will want to fix that? also, please add more than 2 screenshots, to give more info to players.
deepstrasz
The screenshots are small and we do not have permission to see the full sized ones. Change your album's permission options. Human: -Marksman's icon could be that of a unit and not of a weapon. Doesn't look nice along the other unit icons -Stables...
Level 6
Seems I cannot open this map with the editor? Shame :( I guess I can't look around in your triggers :p I'll get on playing it and edit this message after I do so. Cheers!

After playing:
That's a fun little map :) I chose naga, obviously :p As a 1 player, it's very difficult, I must say. But that's okay :) I assume it's meant for a few at least. Good map, 4/5 :)

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The screenshots are small and we do not have permission to see the full sized ones. Change your album's permission options.

Human:
-Marksman's icon could be that of a unit and not of a weapon. Doesn't look nice along the other unit icons
-Stables has the same icon as the horse of the trolls which gives gold
-Hydromancer has the same icon as Chaplain
-there is a discrepancy between this race's power (strength and number) and faster way of training units than how the trolls can do it
-trolls are obliged to first summon the Shadow Hunter while humans can train whichever here they like from the start
-neat joke with Donald Trump; however a description of what that building does before building it is necessary; for some reason Donald Trump and the walls belong to Player 9
-why would the walls attack!?
-player 9 suddenly spawned some Fishermen and a Cook in the southwest near my shipyard when the second boss was announced (by the way, double message)

Dwarf:
-the Stronghold looks like a Gold Mine...
-the Drunk has no DISBT (hence the icon looking like a green square on F10/pause); use this to create a disabled icon: Button Manager v1.8.2
-the Soldier's icon is not really appropriate because of that arrow
-well, one of the enemy forces basically have units this race can train... same goes for the trolls
-many units in the Tavern have the same icon; the cannon has the icon of the human battleship
-same alter as for the humans
-because the Uber Tank has an artillery based attack, the Attack Ground command pushes the Learn Abilities cross on the first spell's position; therefore Breath of Fire or some other active spell might not appear or be pushed somewhere else; the Pandaren Brewmaster (troll race) also has the Breath of Fire spell; the hero tank has the same icon as the Steam Tank
-Dwarf Mine is basically the human Marketplace
-same tower as for human; you should disable the Guard Tower and Arcane Tower if they cannot be built by this race (because of the obvious requirement they do not possess); there's a trigger to disable units for players; use it with the condition of the dwarf race being chosen
-they have the same ships as the humans

High Elf:
-High Elf Lieutenant's icon=Spell Breaker's
-humans also have Heal and Polymorph; what about uniqueness of races?
-Ruby Power Crystal's icon=the same as the nonupgraded building's; change the colour of icons if you will with this: BLP Lab v0.5.0 this building is the same as the one for human and dwarf
-only these guys benefit from an item shop?
-21st Century Portal creates a hero for player 9 instead of the player that actually owns the building; the hero has a mix of other WcIII hero abilities and comes with level 10; each time the building is built, one of these heroes is created for player 9; the spells are different (still WCIII ones but randomly generated?); the first hero is named Cook Ramsay; all others (that come after) are named Gordon Ramsay and have the same spells.
-the Shipyard can be built somewhat far from the water; hence the ships can't be built then
-same altar as humans and dwarves

Night Elf:
-Huntresses have the same icon as Sentries
-many buildings have no hotkey or at least it is not shown in their title/name; eg: Fishing Village, Shipyard etc.
-Auction House and Shed->same icon
-War Priestess has Heal and Inner Fire, something that the High Elf Priest has
-Poison Aura does not have a passive ability icon and also looks like Unholy Aura's
-the High Elf Ranger also has Trueshot Aura and Starfall
-the Night Elf Shipyard does not train anything

Druid:
-same shipyard as for the night elves; doesn't do anything and here it is positioned on the first row instead of the last like for the other races
-the High Elf Ranger also has Mana Burn
-as the trolls, this race also feels like it's lacking content (number of troops for example) compared to the first four races

Naga:
-the Royal Guard's Frost Bolt and Crushing Wave do not mention the values for all levels when learnt
-Fire Pit's icon looks like Flame Strike's
-Sacred Vault has no DISBTN
-the Dryad also has Abolish Magic like the Couatl
-the Couatl and the Fire Pit both have True Sight

Orc:
-the problem is that they can't increase the food slots when they want but when the pig stock recharges; building another farm is expensive and cannot be done quickly; the pigs are also weak and have to be ordered to hold position

Fel Orc:
-the Warchief's damage is a joke: 7-45; if he strikes 7 or under 30, it's useless
-Fel Orc Warlock has the same abilities as the orc's Warlock; same goes for the Kodo
-Fel Den's icon=Spirit Lodge's
-same problem with the food as for the orcs; I suggest the farms also give some food aside the pigs/boars; actually for the Fel Orcs, seeing how powerful their units are (chaos damage and Grunts being trained from the start), I think this feeding style could be appropriate for them
-same shipyard as for the orcs

Tauren:
-they are more than tauren when quillboars are starting units
-very few buildings
-the War Tent has the Orc Barracks icon
-fix/add hotkeys for buildings (check this for all races)
-Spirit Lodge's icon for Seer's Tent
-the Kodo Beast is so much more useful than the horse
-move the Watch Tower icon position a bit up or add more buildings?
-this race can also train those two heroes the trolls can
-the Tauren Totem is a mess; I suggest adding a new building for the items

Goblin:
-even less buildings and chaotically placed; the main one is not the first one as for the other/usual races

Undead:
-there is no Temple of the Damned to upgrade to Nerubian Tower
-the uniqueness of the undead building system is no present: blight

Skeleton:
-even weirder than the Undead
-no Graveyard=no Spirit Tower->disable it?
-this faction lacks melee infantry

Demon:
-Random Demon's icon=Fel Boar's
-this race is the biggest joke of all; it's basically a dice play
-how do they get resources?
-only one building; no protection system

Because the number of enemy units will increase, their troops will stutter.
Try these workarounds:

Some terrain height variation would not hurt. @Paillan already hinted it.
What after hero level 10? It's not hard/slow to reach. Item shops or something? Neutral and enemy units drop some but not enough for all players.
Would be nice to have the map designed for the number of current players (eg: singleplayer).

A nice but chaotic and unfinished map.
Set to Awaiting Update.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Last edited:
Level 4
I don't know how to change album permissions,

wow this is the most detailed review i have ever seen thank you very much!
although all your statements are correct, some of the things were intentional such as barracks and spirit lodge icons to represent caster or basic unit production, there isn't enough melee spells to divide without reusing spells, also the way i erratically balanced the races is that some races lack things such as either no air no casters no melee, some races hvae shops, some races sell units etc. also dwarves and trolls getting enemy units is intensional as well, dwarves bribe pirates to fight with them by selling booze, and the trolls enslave the fish.

Although the map inst pvp right now it doesn't have to be perfectly balanced. I will fix disb icons and buttons positions as well as stuttering enemies without question.

Terrain height variation is present but may not be noticeable in all areas.

A credits list is here presented on this page.

You missed review on the trolls.

I can copy the ziggarat for both races but as for the scout tower ivory tower item will then be a problem.

all buildings that spawn units are given to player 9 as that player is shared by all the players, also player 9 sends fishermen in a boat periodically but they are disguised in a normal pirate transport boat to discourage air units blowing up every pirate ship that spawns. also there are 3 gordon ramsays and the spawns are randomized.

Shipyard uses default shipyard pathing that blizzard gave to it i dont know how to fix it.

I may end up removing the soldier from the dwarves because it will be more fitting lore wise and that i cannot make them unique.

Tauren include wyvern and kodos same as orcs, razormane are slaves.

what do you mean by goblin main building not same as first one?

Same shipyard is intensional as all boats are the same, I may change it so some races get boats and others dont same with shop and food mechanics to further balance them.

I will remove wander from pigs and demon worker, also demons must rely on kill bounty to get resources, i believe the portal generates some income but slowly.

Double message for boss spawns is to indicate that 2 bosses spawned at a time because the later in the map the harder it gets.

Walls have an attack so that they can hold aggro and not have the fish run around then and ignore it.

Blight was removed as i dont want any map stains.

How do i add passive ability icons?

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Deepstrasz are you on battle.net i would like to play a game with you and maybe talk on discord?
I don't have time for that now. Also, don't create a post after another of yours if it's not an update or if at least 24hs haven't passed.
the way i erratically balanced the races is that some races lack things such as either no air no casters no melee, some races hvae shops, some races sell units etc
Yeah, but that forces players to mix races so they'd have everything they need. What if say, I want to play troll and you want too? The other thing is that the first four races are just complex compared to the others.
Might as well have put this edit into your second reply. I stumbled upon accidentally by scrolling. Edits do not notify users who watch a thread.
Although the map inst pvp right now it doesn't have to be perfectly balanced.
Well, I think trolls would have a real problem against the neutral factions as compared to human for instance.
You missed review on the trolls.
Actually, the pieces of the comments for them are placed along with those for other factions.
what do you mean by goblin main building not same as first one?
The icon's position in the build panel. Usually builders have the primary building in the first square on top right.
I can copy the ziggarat for both races but as for the scout tower ivory tower item will then be a problem.
I think I was referring to the fact that some factions have some tower upgrades visible although they cannot use them. This might confuse players. There's a trigger to disable units (make them not be available for that player which makes them disappear from the build/upgrade panel).
Walls have an attack so that they can hold aggro and not have the fish run around then and ignore it.
Well, you can set unit priorities in the object editor which would make them a target for sure.
How do i add passive ability icons?
Complete Icon Tutorial - All About Icons
How to Make an Icon
And these to manipulate icons:
Button Manager v1.8.2
BLP Lab v0.5.0

Level 2
Would it be possible to release an "easier" version, perhaps with fewer players, or fewer mobs?