1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Bugs and Issues

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by PurgeandFire, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Warcraft III had Level of Detail? If you are referring to mipmaps then they are still used as before.

What is a RB?

2. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Warcraft 3 has both medium and low levels of detail (=number of polygons) for many units, as well as for two buildings in TFT (only one in RoC). But they are afaik obviously not dynamic ingame, like LoD is.

The low poly models are in the War3x_low.mpq file, and the medium ones in the War3x_med.mpq one.

I am not sure about what could have been optimized or not, in their animations...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  3. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Does anyone actually use them? Seeing how most modern smart phones could probably max out WC3 at high if they could run it...

4. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    many players DO use low levels of detalization indeed

5. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Like? I doubt much hardware is still functional and regularly used that cannot max Warcraft III.

Why people making it sound more advanced than it actually is? Most people call it low graphic settings or something clear...

6. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    if you gonna buy those people new PC im sure they will say "thank you"
    otherwise your post have no meaning. old PC is still there, ESPECIALLY in wc3, which is, for a moment, old game

7. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Except chances are such old PCs do not work anyway, especially if they are or were used heavily... To put it in perspective I have had 2 graphic cards fail in the time since WC3 was released and now. Even the most low powered GPU you can get from the main vendors should effortlessly max Warcraft III. I am not sure AMD or Intel make x86 processors which are slower than the recommended system requirements for Warcraft III.

I would check that the crashes are not being caused by custom imports. Especially some textures might be prone to crashes for some reason or another.

8. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    wait, what kind of potato you're talking about? I can definitely tell you there's still P3 700 mhz who plays wc3, and thats the one who actually bothered to write his specs

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    And CPU has anything to do with model detail? I thought model detail only affected GPU performance. Anyway the game is so old that Blizzard does not even bother putting a minimum GPU...

For those who want to know what the minimum was... It was a GPU with either 8 MB (minimum) or 32 MB (recommended) of memory and supports the fixed shader pipeline of Driect3D7. Seeing how the cheapest GPUs you can get today come with at least 1GB of memory...

10. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    like anybody today build his new PC to play wc3, right. thats why its called old - because it DOESNT get updated. that is as well reason for many players to keep up with wc3. give them better PC and they will find something modern

11. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The Intel i915GM integrated chipset uses the CPU for some of the graphic rendering (TnL).
    i915 Chipset
    ("The Intel GMA 900 is optimised to use the Intel Pentium 4 processor for software-based geometry processing (such as transform and lighting) defined by Microsoft DirectX 9.")

Warcraft 3's system requirements up to and including v1.26a:
    Warcraft III - F.A.Q. -> Features F.A.Q.

:goblin_yeah:

Video options.jpg

Pentium-M always underclocked at 800 Mhz (would be 1.86 Ghz otherwise)
    Intel i915GM chipset - 'nuff said
    AGP aperture size Video RAM set to 64 MB (minimal size available in Bios) (shared memory) (DVMT 3.0 available if necessary)
    5400 RPM Western Digital HDD (ATA-100), running for 34502 hours / 3.94 years

Still using v1.26a

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Warcraft III does not use anything Direct3D9 related. It uses the Direct3D7 fixed function pipeline, possibly with some 8.1 extensions.

That chipset is also very strange... It references both Pentium 4 and DDR/DDR2. The last Pentium 4 released was 11 years ago in 2006, back when Warcraft III was still a pretty modern game. Both DDR and DDR2 have long been obsoleted by DDR3 and now DDR4 to the point that such old memory is extremely expensive. The specific "Pentium-M" you reference sounds like one released in 2002. Seeing how Intel 3D acceleration capabilities were as good as non existent back then (as opposed to just sucking a bit now) it is surprising the game can work at all. To be honest the fact the computer still works with such hardware is a miracle or down to not being used much as all the hardware certainly has past end of life long ago.

13. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was pointing this out since you were surprised, even nowadays CPU power may still be related to model detail one way or another for existing, working hardware.

For the record, this was also the case before the first 3D accelerator add-on cards for PC desktops were released. Early 3D polygon-based PC games (such as Alpha Waves) use CPU power only, and sometimes not even the FPU.

I believe the NEC PowerVR series 1 chipsets from 1996-1997 (meaning the PCX-1 and PCX-2 chipsets / Matrox m3D add-on card to be among the first 3D accelerator hardware available for PC desktops.

When hardware T&L was first implemented into PC video cards in 1999, I remember there was much hype about the fact the freed CPU time would eventually be used for AI enhancement. Yeah, right. :xxd:

My laptop is a NEC Versa S950 from 2005. That should explain a lot of things. :wink:

During the 2000s, both NEC and Western Digital produced tough beasts. From my personal experience, hardware failure over time may be due to an aging power supply, and/or to unexpected power variations (if not lightning!).

Intel hardware works in unexpected ways. The software-only T&L part in some integrated chipsets is obviously a sore point. Not mentioning the OpenGL hardware accelerated support being limited to v1.4 only.

Yet, the Intel i915GM integrated chipset passes the most complex 3DMark 2001 SE Direct3D tests iirc. But on anything else using pixel shaders, one may experience BSODs on startup, because of this unusual graphics rendering pipeline. XashXT comes to mind here (note: it works with Xash3D, though).

For OpenGL rendering requiring full support for 1.5 /2.x, one can only use a third-party MESA 3D OpenGL dll, which will sadly do everything in software (meaning: slooooooow!). Fortunately, the Quake engines up to and including Quake 3 do not require OpenGL v2 support. Lucky me.

All the games up to the early 2000s I am interested in, work on my laptop. This includes Warcraft 3 which was first designed in 1998.

When it was first released in 2002, Warcraft 3 was less demanding than the other games released that year, because the game engine has its roots in the 20th century. I was even able to kind of play it on a PII 350 Mhz with a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64 video card, using Windows 2000. I do not recommend trying to run the game on a S3 Virge DX. At all. :xxd:

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The weird thing is, that any unit that gets Locust from me can be placed in the editor whilst the Locust unit (from the Crypt Lord) cannot be found in the unit palette tool.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Frost Bolt has the buff Storm Bolt (!?) which cannot be found in the Buffs section of the Object Editor. I think it should have been the buff Stunned instead.

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The Nintendo GameCube did not use any floating point mathematics and it had a graphics accelerator. Windows (since Vista) comes with a Software device implementation of D3D11 which only uses the GPU.
    At some stage there was a blur between 2D and 3D acceleration hardware. Much of the advanced 2D acceleration hardware could pseudo accelerate 3D via transformations, similar to how the Super Nintendo worked for semi-3D games like Super Mario Kart. The main problem back then was there was none of the D3D and OpenGL we take for advantage now to standardize interaction with GPU hardware.

Should not really be gamming on a laptop. I have one of a similar age from Dell (really expensive, it had a 1080p display and everything) and it degraded to uselessness ages ago and was replaced by something cheap.

All my computers from 2000 odd have either failed long ago or degraded to uselessness. As it is I am struggling to keep this computer from 2010 performing well and it has gone though both a PSU and a GPU during that time.

Intel graphics acceleration was only a novelty back then. Only towards 2010, when transistor count exploded, did they develop real integrated GPUs. Sure they are still a long way off from AMD and NVidia but modern Intel integrated GPUs have no problem maxing WC3, in theory...

Now a toaster can probably max it. Well not really as it is too busy DoSing PayPal...

You can probably build a PC for less than $300 that will not only max out WC3, but at 1080p with AA using only new components.

16. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    stop assuming people will update their pc. its not going to happen. there's still tons of people who live for less than $50 per month. and yes, some of them may enjoy playing old games

17. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    There is a parameter in unit object data that determines if the unit is displayed in the editor or not.

18. SpasMaster

SpasMaster

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've heard people talk about maps not finish loading after crossing the 8mb limit (in 1.27b). Any validity to these reports?
    If yes, is it known why the issue appears and are Blizzard aware of it?

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've played a 19mb map through LAN and it worked marvelously.

20. Setokaiva

Setokaiva

Resources:
    Resources:
    I still can't get on Battle.net due to the "Downloading Update" window appearing, "completing" and then letting me exit out to "restart" WC3, where it then runs a file called "MoviePatcher" and then... nothing. It does it over and over again. Ever since this new patch came out this has been happening. Deleting the MoviePatcher.exe file only makes the game download a new one once I try to get on Battle.net again.

www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/cannot-get-past-the-downloading-update-part-of-battle-net.290519/

I tried using Warcraft 3 version switcher to change the version to 1.26, but it still has the exact same issue as though I was on 1.27. I can't find a way around this besides maybe completely deleting the 1.27 patch and redoing it from scratch, and I don't really know how to do that without uninstalling WC3. I'd be willing to go that far if I have to, even if it means I have to find a new CD key (because I lost my old one a long time ago), but I'm worried even that might not work and it would just give me the same damn error. There's no reason it wouldn't, really.

If you guys are somehow able to get on Battle.net, I can't fathom how you got past this bug, if you even encountered it at all. But I'm not the only one who has it, either. Evidence here:

[8MB Limit Removed Update] Warcraft 3 - Patch 1.27b

Please, help me fix this. I wanna play WC3 again so I can test out Plague 1: The East and Destiny Battle as I work on them.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.