• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.28.5 Battlenet installer doesn't set game path flag [Self-fix included]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I install WC3 via the regular battlenet installer, every tool I have will no longer find the game MPQs by default (Magos ModelEditor, MDLVis, WEX, etc). I can fix this for magos and MDLVis by putting a copy of the MPQs inside the directories those tools are placed in, but I can't do that with WEX.

My guess is that the battlenet installer does not properly place a registry entry that tells those tools where to look.

If I install WC3 from the physical game discs and do the migration process when patching the game regulary, this issue does not happen (but many other nasty bugs happen when I do that). It only happens when I install via the battlenet installer.

MindworX found the reason for this issue. Seems like my original guess was right here:

The Battlenet installer forgets to place an important flag in the windows registry.

To fix this manually, open your Regedit (right-click the windows symbol, click execute, enter "regedit"), go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Blizzard Entertainment/Warcraft III and add a new string called "InstallPath" and enter the path to the main game directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.