• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are You going to Sell your maps?

Are you going to sell maps?

• $$$$

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Some Maps

Votes: 38 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 40 18.8%
  • LOLWUT? HELL NO

Votes: 99 46.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Well the apple App store starts everything at 99 cents. A map you can get just as much entertainment from. But It should be no more then a dollar, unless the map is extremely vast. Remember, their is ALOT that can be done with this editor. Its not like buying a crappy warcraft 3 map.

Level 11
The apple store is a buisnnes store, people living from things they sell. There is a big difference

Which is exactly why where 1 dollar in the app story is the minimum, it will be the max in whatever SC2 store. I also believe in selling models/skin. All this at ultra cheap prices though, like between 10 and 80 cents. This would ONLY be in addition to free models/skins/maps, which would ideally be in abundance and lesser map makers would have easy access to them. I just think that putting in a business aspect into SOME of this modding community wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Level 5
I have a question, if some briliant maps are going to be selled than Blizard is going to make some kind of protection for those maps because when downloaded you can share it on Battle Net and that's gona be $hit, am I right??

Level 23
You mean if i make a game with someone else engine? Depends. If it is free like SC2 i wouldn't pay.

Basically, when you pay for sc2 itself, you pay and is agreed to use their licensed engine to create your own games/maps within the game. It is not much less different than paying for the unreal engine, but that you have more framework and already existing resources to work with. Assuming you want to develop your own models to your game, and that you spend some high quality time for it, a small donation or price tag if it gets promoted isn't that bad.

Nevertheless it is a good reference later on in your life, if you manage to do it well and impresses Blizzard. You might as well get hired by them, as they have a large group of people on their staff which was before, modders of their games.

I have a question, if some briliant maps are going to be selled than Blizard is going to make some kind of protection for those maps because when downloaded you can share it on Battle Net and that's gona be $hit, am I right??

Probably, there would be no point otherwise

Level 23
Well, it depends of how you would view it. Consider it your job, it would be something you would want to earn at. Consider it a hobby project and it might not be as important at all.
But you could always accept donations however.

Level 12
Well the apple App store starts everything at 99 cents. A map you can get just as much entertainment from. But It should be no more then a dollar, unless the map is extremely vast. Remember, their is ALOT that can be done with this editor. Its not like buying a crappy warcraft 3 map.

This is exactly what I was referring to when I said no more than two dollars. I mean, I want a low amount, and I was referencing the App Store, which has the lowest price as 99 cents.

Level 4
Guys, listen. You might have a premium map, but it won't let you play it unless it senses you have a license for it. Purchasing a map purchases a license. Updates are FREE, and I'm sure 90% if not 100% of the money goes to the developer.

Ya i was going down the list, building up "retorts", and this guy just had to go and use them ALL!

And i assume that bit about lisenses is that you can't dl them for free from other people, the way the "accounts" are set up.

Level 12
It'll save it to a map folder. Note you can only use Blizzard-made maps offline (skirmish). Online you can use these premium maps if they're copied, but the account you log in as HAS to have the privilege to USE the maps or else the map won't show up, because it detects these things.

Level 12
This is really only benefitting for those hard working terrainers and top high quality mappers. Which theres few of compared to the community

Level 23
Likewise, you wont be able to see that extreme amount of maps, since blizzard is the one to judge whether it stands out of the crowd or not (not in the beginning at least. Hell, imagine how long time it does take to make an actual game. It is not done by a month in case you thought that)

Level 11
I think that if you host "premium" maps, you could just download it for free?

Or, it's this thing that I don't get...

Starcraft II will NOT be on some regular old B.net server. They are building a new version of battle.net, which i think, is suspected to be radically different/improved. So if a person "hosts" its likely that in order to join, you have to click "buy" on the map, download from blizzard while your spot is reserved in the game being hosted (so if you buy it and the game doesn't start without you, or if the game is canceled), and then you are part of the game. I would hope their would be some kind of refund option, should the game start without you and now you have bought this game while its not even being hosted anymore.

<-- That is just an idea of how this whole new set up would work. I have little knowledge on what is actually going to be the system/interface used.

Level 12
I think that if you host "premium" maps, you could just download it for free?

Or, it's this thing that I don't get...

No, it won't let you join the game unless you have a license for it on the account you're logged in as. If so, and you don't have the map file, it'll DL it just like any other game. You can also use the marketplace to DL free maps, I'm assuming, that have been hosted before on Battle.Net in a public game.

Level 6
-----FOR ALL PEOPLE THAT DID NOT MAKE RESEARCH-----
Blizzard are going to decide which map is going go premium, and which is not.
Even DotA won't make the cut, as it uses most of the standard models.
Now, if DotA did use custom models, custom terrain, custom UI, and really not that much Blizzard made stuff, it might make the cut.

Also, it's not like you see steam being overfilled with crap mods that costs money, right?
Garry's mod is one of the few that made the cut there, and i think it is going to be the same for Sc2.

Seriously, do some research before you go nuts at Blizz. I mean, it's Blizzard we are talking about! Where's your loyalty to the probably most successful game company? It's not Maxis, or another company, who makes things half done (Spore as an example).
Don't get me wrong, spore is a great game, but with tons of bugs, glitches, flaws, and what not.

Rewseawch somwon?

Level 27
Now, if DotA did use custom models, custom terrain, custom UI, and really not that much Blizzard made stuff, it might make the cut.

Also, it's not like you see steam being overfilled with crap mods that costs money, right?
Garry's mod is one of the few that made the cut there, and i think it is going to be the same for Sc2.

Seriously, do some research before you go nuts at Blizz. I mean, it's Blizzard we are talking about! Where's your loyalty to the probably most successful game company? It's not Maxis, or another company, who makes things half done (Spore as an example).
Don't get me wrong, spore is a great game, but with tons of bugs, glitches, flaws, and what not.

Rewseawch somwon?

Your right, it makes perfect sence!
But... what bugs in Spore? I don't remember any bugs, its just that it uses as much radom generating as any other, so there might be some flaws....

Level 6
Your right, it makes perfect sence!
But... what bugs in Spore? I don't remember any bugs, its just that it uses as much radom generating as any other, so there might be some flaws....

Sorry, but that was just too funny :ugly:

It is FILLED with bugs.
The camera, movement, jumping, landing, flying, pathing, generally lots of things...

It is... very disappointing to see a very promising game turn out to be bug filled.

Also the way to update. I hade to reinstall the game 3 times in order just to update, because of one missing file.

The Spore alpha that they showed in 2006 looked way better then the new Spore. The old cell stage was also way better before.

I was just extremely disappointed at the game when i got it. Although it is kinda fun.

Wait... i just got way too offtopic, sorry :gg:

Level 9

Rewseawch somwon?

Thats true but im still angry that so many people voted $$$$. As long they think they might be able to make such a map, they stop sharing ideas, models whatever. People also believe they can win in lottery... and do not share their numbers... althought it wont change anything if they share their numbers.

Level 6
Thats true but im still angry that so many people voted $$$$. As long they think they might be able to make such a map, they stop sharing ideas, models whatever. People also believe they can win in lottery... and do not share their numbers... althought it wont change anything if they share their numbers.

True. But i don't think we should expect to see any of the "$$$" guys getting any "$$$" :gg:. They usually are the nooby ones :p

I hope it'll be good. Better than my expectations, and better thann any rts gam-... Wait... even War3 is a better rts game then most others >_>... So i guess it'll have to be better than War3... times 5? EPIC PWNAGE...

I got offtopic again >_>. Sorry :xxd:

Level 14
Actually, Shread, just vote. Consider them whatever you want... Some maps is perhaps..

And, it depends. If you just make a map without any forum/website, without any tournaments, it should be free. Except if you need that money to live (which never, ever happened)
If you do have a website, and you make tournaments, it perhaps could be sold. You would need that money to : Enhance tournaments with prizes, and instead of put a button that's never been used with a big "Donate" in your forum/wesite, the funds you recieve could also go to the host of that server.

Level 6
Actually, Shread, just vote. Consider them whatever you want... Some maps is perhaps..

And, it depends. If you just make a map without any forum/website, without any tournaments, it should be free. Except if you need that money to live (which never, ever happened)
If you do have a website, and you make tournaments, it perhaps could be sold. You would need that money to : Enhance tournaments with prizes, and instead of put a button that's never been used with a big "Donate" in your forum/wesite, the funds you recieve could also go to the host of that server.

Ya, i figured that.
I actually voted.
But i just thought that it would be better, to be a little more serious with such a question. I'm not going to start a flame war, so i'll be stopping the poll complaint now ;)

EDIT: It is btw, imo, stupid to have 2 "No" answers. But i'll seriously stop now :p (I support chat speak with grammar included.)

Level 8
I just decided it seems like the most logical option is to give away your map for free, and in some small way give players a way to donate you and tell them that doing so is how you keep your maps free.

Also, I don't see why premium maps won't just be completely copied and remade for free. People are cheap. When they see a map for a dollar, someone will remake the map exactly the way it was for free. Blizzard is going to need map moderators to enforce this system.

To all those people saying their maps never get played, this is your chance, make your maps free.

Level 6
I just decided it seems like the most logical option is to give away your map for free, and in some small way give players a way to donate you and tell them that doing so is how you keep your maps free.

Also, I don't see why premium maps won't just be completely copied and remade for free. People are cheap. When they see a map for a dollar, someone will remake the map exactly the way it was for free. Blizzard is going to need map moderators to enforce this system.

To all those people saying their maps never get played, this is your chance, make your maps free.

It's not like you see multiple copies of the same HL2 mod, right?
The premium maps must be in a quality, not even DotA, or some of the other greatest maps so far made, have met. (DotA was just the first to come in mind, i don't actually play it.)
It is going to be in such a quality, that it is no longer considered as a map, but as a mod.

And try to copy DotA. Not an easy job.

Just to clarify again:
You didn't see multiple types of Gmod. You didn't see multiple types of Natural Selection. And you also (almost) didn't see any other mods remade, for HL2.

Remaking a map is not an easy job. And especially not a map of mod quallity.

I will do nothing, but believe in Battle.net 2.0's features. It is after all - as i've been mentioning before - Blizzard we are talking about.

EDIT: It is kinda funny how i got +2 rep for posting in this thread XD

Level 2
Even if I made a map that could be sold i don't know if i would. Would i keep my rights to the map? skins? models? story? what if I plan to take the ideas i made in a map to a company, but find out i can't use it because i sold it blizzard. Plus if the maps being sold are as good as people claim they'll have to be, then copying them will take as much work as making the map (if they can even copy it up to the same quality). So I probably won't sell my maps unless i make a high quality map(s)/Campain(s) that i plan to sell.

Level 6
Even if I made a map that could be sold i don't know if i would. Would i keep my rights to the map? skins? models? story? what if I plan to take the ideas i made in a map to a company, but find out i can't use it because i sold it blizzard. Plus if the maps being sold are as good as people claim they'll have to be, then copying them will take as much work as making the map (if they can even copy it up to the same quality). So I probably won't sell my maps unless i make a high quality map(s)/Campain(s) that i plan to sell.

You would probably have to agree on some terms of condition if you ever where so lucky to go premium.
So reading it would be a good idea :p

I'm off to bed, cyall!

Level 9
If you make people pay for your map, dont you have to pay the people who did the models for your map money as well, as well as any code you found, etc? Seems like more trouble than it would be worth, and frankly, I cant see myself ever making a map I would want to sell.

Level 6
If you make people pay for your map, dont you have to pay the people who did the models for your map money as well, as well as any code you found, etc? Seems like more trouble than it would be worth, and frankly, I cant see myself ever making a map I would want to sell.

I think Blizz did think of that. I'm not sure how they would do it tho.
I think you would be paid as a team. Like when indie developers sell through steam. I guess it would be like that.

Level 8
One of the points of this system is so then groups of people can put actual value in the work that they are doing, i.e. a group of friends with a modeler, terrainer, etc. and spend more time; for example, instead of having a part time job while in, say, college they can develop a mod/map for Starcraft 2. Then they can test it, improve the terrain, etc. over the course of, say, a year and then release it (after getting it tested).

The maps are also "protected" (well, have the option to but I think the premium maps will have protection), not to mention that as soon as you open the map and do anything, when you try and play the premium map online everyone will need to download it & thus know it is not the real version.

In regards to the copyright issue... I'm not sure and am guessing as much as you are. But I think the core ideas that makes the game are yours and, so long as you don't rip off Blizzard's models and textures, you would be allowed to take that to another developer. Look at DotA Allstars and League of Legends; ideas are the same, same people whom made DotA (as broadcasted on their web site) but the models, texture, and even the graphics are different.

Level 6
One of the points of this system is so then groups of people can put actual value in the work that they are doing, i.e. a group of friends with a modeler, terrainer, etc. and spend more time; for example, instead of having a part time job while in, say, college they can develop a mod/map for Starcraft 2. Then they can test it, improve the terrain, etc. over the course of, say, a year and then release it (after getting it tested).

The maps are also "protected" (well, have the option to but I think the premium maps will have protection), not to mention that as soon as you open the map and do anything, when you try and play the premium map online everyone will need to download it & thus know it is not the real version.

In regards to the copyright issue... I'm not sure and am guessing as much as you are. But I think the core ideas that makes the game are yours and, so long as you don't rip off Blizzard's models and textures, you would be allowed to take that to another developer. Look at DotA Allstars and League of Legends; ideas are the same, same people whom made DotA (as broadcasted on their web site) but the models, texture, and even the graphics are different.

It should also be noted, that these maps are like mods. As i already said :p
It should really be worked on. Not Just Another Starcraft 2 Map.

Level 14
Oh, and I remember..
Not even DotA could be a premium map I think. What about TKoK, Diablo III Warcraft ? These two maps are just..Awesome. Yes It's true they do not use much Custom Models, but they are AWESOME.

Level 5
The Crimson Creations team is going to make a SC2 RPG that's going to be even better than TKoK but the question is are they going to sell it??

Level 2
I just hope Blizzard's standard of premium is very high. It would suck to have every DotA clone and ZOMG NARUTO VS BLEACH flooding the premium database.

Level 3
I'm not independent from my parents yet. So, how am I supposed to pay for them? Definitely, I won't ask my Mum giving me her credit card to get the newest DotA The-Map-You-May-Like...

That's my "little problem" with that thread...
On the other hand a lot of mappers will be motivated by this...

So, I hope it stays as it is and I will be able to play all the maps I want to support. (without paying... :p)

Level 11
I just hope Blizzard's standard of premium is very high. It would suck to have every DotA clone and ZOMG NARUTO VS BLEACH flooding the premium database.

If the standard was very high then their would be a very few maps even in the premium database, and nobody would buy them because people like to play the ZOMB NAURTO VS BLEACHE clone.

I think their should be a high standard, but not an elite standard. Something like top 5% of maps that make it past the beta phase should be allowed entrance to be made premium.

And dont get me wrong, I hate DOTA. But why should that not be a premium map?

Level 9
compared to the most maps out there dota is a UBER map. But its not independet from wc3. Its still wc3, just with a bit different rules. But blizzard seems to want maps with a much better quality. maps which you dont call maps anymore, you call them mods.

Currently i think dota still is one of the best maps out there, simply it has perfect game play. But , yea, the community sux. Even when i own every one im called noob. wy? cause i buyd a certain item:cute: Every dota player thinks he is a pro, excpect people which are really able to play. Funny, isnt it?

Level 23
The gameplay of a dotalike map doesn't appeal me at all, but that is just an opinion.

Exactly what you are saying, I believe Blizzard wants more of "mod" like maps. See it as you pay for their engine, and then you use their marketplace to sell the map/mod, if it is the right standard

Status
Not open for further replies.