• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating Skilled Team For Premium Maps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
The Map Maker's Guild is Looking For YOU!
True gaming magic comes from very talented and skilled people...

If you're a skilled modeler, texturer, animator, skinner, or coder then we NEED you! The Map Maker's Guild is wasting no time, we plan on putting together a highly skilled team of 5-7 people to make premium maps for SC2.

The Best Time To Start Is NOW!...

We plan on starting immediately so that by the time SC2 comes out we already have a strong experienced team that is used to working together. We will start by creating free high quality maps for WC3, in order to gain team cohesion.

We Only Want People Who Are CRAZY About Map Making...

We are absolutely NUTTY about map making... Just making fun quality maps for people to play is more than a hobby, it's a passion! Now that Blizzard has announced premium map in SC2, this is our time to make a living from creating the highest quality maps possible!

If your also crazy about making maps, then we want you in our team! If you're just trying to make a buck by doing a half assed job and then trying to sell it... then you can go elsewhere.

A Little About Me...

I'm a WC3 and Starcraft Map Maker. I've made many maps, a few of them have gotten rather popular. I'm also an online marketer and have experience in marketing, sales, business management, etc...

Making maps is a passion of mine, and if I can make a living from providing the gaming community with super high quality maps, then that would be a dream.

Keep in mind I do not plan on selling crappy maps, and 99% of the maps you see made today will STILL be free. I am talking about making maps that are so different, so well made, and so high quality as to be hardly recognizable as being made with Starcraft... they're almost entirely new games in their own right.

I believe quality maps come from talented people, so let's get together and make something great!

Level 2
Project recruitment threads go in the project recruitment section do they not?

Why don't you find something better to do than troll around.

Please only post here if your interested in joining.

This is bull****. True gaming doesn't come from a team of talented people that you try to gather, but from single individuals mostly. (RAO DAO ZAO ANYONE?!) Yeah, get your **** right, nobody wants to do stuff for *****s.

Seriously, we don't even know game specs, and you already "want a skilled mapmaking team". What are YOU going to do? Watch over? Also, it is not "we" who needs "you", it is "you" who needs people to do his shit for him. Way to go, TerranUp. Experienced team? Are you ******ed? How can one be experienced in something that isn't out yet? Get your **** right.

You want people who are CRAZY about it? Well, do it all yourself, as you seem to be.
Also, you obviously want to make some profit. Doesn't that make you a ****head, when it comes to map making?

Also. No. There's no ****ing way you're selling your maps. Even if bnet allows that feature, carry your **** on your own. People who mod with PASSION don't SELL their stuff, but instead let people ENJOY it or just enjoy it THEMSELVES.

You think you're a charismatic ***** who can get people around to do his **** for him, well guess twice, not here.

Also, DO NOT try to sound professional. You're not, if you were you wouldn't try to gather people on a site like this, instead you'd visit portfolios of famous artists and gather them. They are not free but... you are a professional right? Well, not really.

Do not try to make it sound like there is MORE OF YOU. You're the single, one, loser, that wants to gather a team for modding a game that doesn't exist yet. Not to mention you've probably got as much life as any corpse out there. Use "I" or "me" next time, instead of "we". I am tired of bull**** like this.

Also, you want to start immediately? Hey, let's code for a game, although coding language is not yet known (we know it's called Galaxy, but nothing else), map without map editor (who needs one anyway?!), model without knowing what the hell game supports (oh **** my displacement map doesn't work!).

P.S.
Re-read the post. And you will realize you're a *****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
I would be interested in joining a sc2 map making team... though it is definitely too early to be forming one.

@HappyTauren: I agree with a lot of the points you make, but it's hard to argue that someone's an ***** when you are talking like an *****.

For example,
Yeah, get your **** right, nobody wants to do stuff for *****s.
That's the grammar and vocabulary of a 10 year old (run-on sentence, "****", "stuff"). I'm not trying to be the grammar police or anything; I just hate hypocrites.

Next,
HappyTauren said:
True gaming doesn't come from a team of talented people that you try to gather, but from single individuals mostly.
Uh, do you think Blizzard is run by a single individual? More like 3000. Sure, game modding is much less involved than game creation, but look at all the awesome maps that are made by a team of people (such as Diablo 3 Warcraft). Even maps that are made by one person often use imported models, skins, or code that the person could not have made on his own.

HappyTauren said:
Also. No. There's no ****ing way you're selling your maps. Even if bnet allows that feature, carry your **** on your own. People who mod with PASSION don't SELL their stuff, but instead let people ENJOY it or just enjoy it THEMSELVES.
Uh, where does he say he wants to sell his maps? Of course bnet wouldn't allow that. You obviously don't know much about marketing. He doesn't have to sell his maps to make money. He only has to make a popular map, make a website for the map (with a bunch of advertisements), and voila. Just look at dota-allstars.com and you'll see what I mean. Don't think this guy's maps will be as popular as dota? You're probably right. Even so, you can still make a profit from a mildly popular map.

• Angry
Reactions: Rui
Level 11
I thank the two posters above me for pointing out why this guy is a troll. Actually, wouldn't surprise me if he WAS TerranUp.

Anitarf said:
What worries me about premium maps is that the mapmaking community will be flooded with pretentious "semi-pro mapgame designer" *******s trying to sucker artists and coders into working on their projects. TerranUp was bad enough, but can you imagine an army of them promising not only fame and glory, but money as well?

He was right...and even before SC2 is out ROFL.

Level 2
I'm not going to try and defend myself from hate speech.

...however one point I'd like to make clear to anyone who's honestly interested in joining a quality SC2 map making team is this:

A good quality map(s) of the level I'm planing takes a looong time to create.

Concept art, planing, game mechanics, lore, modeling, textures. We can even begin putting together rough approximations in the WC3 engine while we wait in order to test things out. Models, sounds, animations, textures can all be made before SC2 comes out, and we can be well on our way in many areas of design.

I'm not talking about your typical map you see on battle.net, I'm talking about a mod that is so vastly different as to be hardly recognized as being Starcraft. We will be using hardly any blizzard assets.

I just got back from Blizzcon btw, and have heard Blizzards plans in person. Yes they are planing a market place on battle.net that will be much like the Apple Apps Store. This will provide a place to sell models, script libraries, sounds, and of course maps.

If you believe that a team of talented people are evil because they want to sell quality work then perhaps you should toss SC2 in the trash when you get it, or any other commercial game. Selling maps gives us the resources needed to hire said "top talent" as you pointed out... this in turn will allow us to make even better maps. I'm sorry to burst your bubble but complex games take time and resources to create.

Level 11
I doubt anyone is going to disagree with the points you brought up. A good map does take time, a team is good, and there is no evil in selling.

What you haven't addressed is yourself. Who the **** are you exactly? Why should anyone be interested in joining your "quality" team? What do you offer? Why should anyone believe a word you say?

Level 12
Also, for now, we are working on warcraft 3 maps until SC2 comes out. We'd like to know that you have what it takes and also, we want to get a team *feel*.

If you like Warcraft 3 modding and you're very interested in modding SC2, then this is the team for you. He forgot to add that when he should have. But yes, we don plan on eventually releasing Premium Starcraft 2 mods. We have many interesting ideas and the capability to make them reality.

Level 2
You know I'm curious to hear what you consider to be the qualifications for starting a design team. Do I need to have a masters degree in game design? What about an MBA? Well I can't read your mind, however I'll list what *I* feel makes me qualified:

I love making quality maps for the gaming community.
I have been making maps since back in the days of WC2.
I'm adept in almost all aspects of map making.
I have sales and business management experience.

I have a broad array of skills that I can offer to both the project in terms of design, but also I have the business skills needed to run a for profit design company. I also have financial resources that I can use to pay for things my team may require. I'm also prepared to invest my time and energy just like I would expect of each and every team member.

So really weather or not you think I'm "qualified" enough isn't really important to me. What IS important to me is that I'm reaching to achieve my dream job, and I'm doing something about it. So if you share the same dream, and your talented, then feel free to join me.

P.S.

Why would anyone want to join me? Because they too would like to turn map making into a career, and no one person can do it alone. Also company's aren't democratic, someone has to lead them. I'm willing to pay the costs financially, and I've got non design related skills that can put my team ahead of the rest.

Also you make this sound like a win loose situation... as if the other members on my team loose somehow. Last I checked working in a team of talented people and making cool games was a fun thing to do. If this is such a chore in your perspective then perhaps you should stop posting on this thread and make room for the people who actually want to make something cool together.

Anyway, I feel this thread has gotten off topic, if you still want to argue this then please move it somewhere else. I want to hear from people who are interested in joining. Thanks.

Level 13
lol note when saying into a job isn't good 2 say because that makes you nerdy no offense, Jrgreene i would like you 2 post some of your work if u will to prove because words can mean nothing sometimes.

Level 11
Well I can't read your mind, however I'll list what *I* feel makes me qualified:

I love making quality maps for the gaming community.
I have been making maps since back in the days of WC2.
I'm adept in almost all aspects of map making.
I have sales and business management experience.

Great! You wouldn't mind showing us a map or two you've made for WC3 right? I'll give you the 4th point, as you clearly are well versed in the art of bull**** (until proven otherwise).

I have a broad array of skills that I can offer to both the project in terms of design, but also I have the business skills needed to run a for profit design company. I also have financial resources that I can use to pay for things my team may require. I'm also prepared to invest my time and energy just like I would expect of each and every team member.

So you want to be the boss because you supposedly have the *unneeded* financial resources? Good luck finding peons!

You want to form a company that mods SC2? What planet are you from buddy? Maybe you should take a cue from Steam, can you point me to one mod that is run by a for profit company?

So really weather or not you think I'm "qualified" enough isn't really important to me. What IS important to me is that I'm reaching to achieve my dream job, and I'm doing something about it. So if you share the same dream, and your talented, then feel free to join me.

You're ****er than I thought if your "dream job" is modding SC2. Why don't you form a real game design company and make some real games? Oh, and people's perception of your qualification are going to impact recruitment so you damn well better care.

• Angry
Reactions: Rui
Level 3
What's wrong with producing a high-quality map without profiting from it? If you showed a map idea rather than an advertisement, and that idea was a good one, people would consider asking you about it. Right now this just looks like one of the many stupid ads all over the internet promising $500 a day or something like that. It's not worth trying to sell something. And why not try to get a job for Blizzard or something instead of starting a third party company to sell modifications of someone else's product when there will be a great number of people offering quality maps on SC2. Maybe we'll get lucky and have a healthy map competition rather than a game like DotA monopolizing SC2 B.net. I don't see why anyone with and sense would want to do this in the first place.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
It seems the majority of the users here have forgotten this rule:
The Hive is a friendly community: all users are expected to treat one another with dignity and respect.
No matter how ridiculous you find the idea, harassment and swears are not welcome here.

The forum category in which Project Recruitment belongs is Warcraft III Modding, so I am moving this to the Starcraft II forum.
The thread is also being closed. While the creator is allowed to submit a new one, the comments posted here suggest doing so is not a very prudent idea.
~Thread Moved & Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.