• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What your Map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Whats your Map?

Starcraft 2 could be either dangerously close or still a few months away. One way or another however it will probably be released this year! So with the deadline coming up I came here to ask all of you Wc3 and Sc2 fans. What map are you going to try and make?

Whether it is already in Wc3 or something totally new I want to hear some of your ideas.

Not a mapmaker? Say what you would like to see made?

And I had to do this. Can't wait for a Sc2 Dota? Do you never want to see a Sc2 Dota? Tell us.

Level 7
Exactly. I personally would never want the plague that is dota to come into Sc2. Its annoying do you really need 15 games at one time?

Level 12
It relly depends, on how its built. if its built so keyboard input is much faster. then i will likely build a arcade type game. like tetris or something.

Edit*

Msg To Just spectating

Well not alot i found for warcraft 3. lol

But the fact that it could have some cool effects and you could play people right away. It could have starcraft 2 touch. :)

Level 3
I intend on making an altered melee type game based more around its lore, and *cough* adding realism.
Just Imagine a cross of Starcraft between Total War and Sudden Strike games. LARGE scale battles, LARGE armies and alot more focused strategic/tactical play than APM. A game that actually lets you sit back and watch. I'm hoping to add alot of newer units to the factions aswell; based on the books and fan cannon (my ideas) of able unit designs that would've made sense lore wise.

Level 22
I'd personally recreate the same map I have in Frozen Throne because it is futurisitic and where else is better than SC2? Since I heard about SCII, I stopped my map as there was no point to do it on a dying game aka war3, while SC2 has the high-tech environment and has yet to come. I just wanna see milkshape to sc2 models exporter.

About dota, some gamers also think dota sux, like I do, so it's not just mapmakers who think so. But mb I wouldn't mind if it existed to play it once per month.

Level 3
DoW2 does look incredible, but the fact that we'll beable to just assured, create something of the same power, if not more (gameplay wise) with sc2 (because you can already create cover with WC3) doesn't force my hand towards buying DoW2 til way down the road.

DotA to me is over rated, so I guess I'm one of those who doesn't care much either.

But Blizzard has announced their support over a DotA series for SC2 (Partly because DotA has its own Professional E-sport genre now), and the first released news of th SCUM edit included how one of its first focuses was allowing users to recreate DotA's appeal using SCUM edit. They used it as an example that just because its SC, doesn't mean the Editor is restricted in anyway. Just as we've seen Project Revolution for WC3, we'll most likely see a Warcraft mod for SC2. I don't ever see SC2 restricting what we'll see come out've SCUM Edit, JUST because its SC.
One of my first project ideas for SC was infact recreating a fan cannon influences Warcraft RTS, using SC2s engine! Why not, right?

Level 3
Blizzard openly supports DotA, not because its Warcraft 3 in anyway, but because its part of the modding community and an example of how much support they do give us. They are at awe by our modding community, because of us going so far as to making a simple map design that has now fortified itself as damn near its own Indie Game genre. Same with Tower Defense. It has spread all over and is even sold as original titles.

Again, I think we are missing a point here. Just because its built using either games editor, doesn't mean its really in anyway paired with that game at all.

None of these map styles are ever dedicated to one game or the other. All styles have crossed over. DotA, TD, AoS, all these had their basics with SCBW. They evolved in WC3, and we shall see them evolve even more with SC2. Not just because of the game; but because its a better editor. Its not the game that really counts; for as we make our projects, the only thing the game is really used for, is the engine to power our creations.
Its no different than Downloading Spring. Just because its Spring, Doesn't mean you HAVE to make a TA mod for. Kernel Panic was an AWSOME mod and is an example of how far one can go if you don't restrict yourself into thinking certian designs belong to certian titles only.

Level 7
People are receiving the wrong picture. Just because it is Starcraft 2 doesn't mean it has to be space editions. It was just so hard to do that in Warcraft 3(Models didn't go great >.>) that people think that they can't do anything but space in Sc2.

However yeah most will be Spacey because space is a cool theme 8). I myself plan on making some kind of Td. Having to do with all 3 of the races or something like that. Of course Im going to cheat my way.. AHEM I mean play my way through the Terran campaign first.

Level 7
I still hope Dota doesn't reign supreme and that 8 of 10 games is Dota. Do we really need the same 2 modes most people used hosted THAT MUCH? I mean jeez. This is why I encourage thinking of maps to make now so even if dota is made to Sc2 that we can at least counteract it.

There are a ton of non-dota games the are great! Lets bring em over.

Level 4
the second i see a dota map in SC2 is the second i die irl.... god damn im tired of dota... anyways I cant wait to checkout teh SC2 map maker, and I cant wait to see what people will be able to create.

Level 12
May DotA reign supreme in all Blizzard games! Ice Frog is clearly the savior of the modding community!

Seriously though, DotA is a great map. It's extremely underrated by those who tried it and dislike it, and it's slightly overrated by those who play it a lot. It's extremely harsh on noobs, but other than that it really is a well made map. Constantly gets updates and it is 1000% more balanced than 90% of maps made.

Level 7
Its just 8/10 games are DOTA. Its unnecessary. Its annoying. I just hope people try and make quality maps in Sc2. It will be easier so we can hope right :O.

Level 12
Not to get off topic. But its not that 8/10 games are dota or dota alike. Its that 8/10 people seem to prefer to play it then other custom games. Who is to blame Dota or the people that play dota.....

I cant wait for the new editor, My real hope isn't that its got alot more functionality but more that the current functionality that is tough for inexperienced mappers becomes easier to use.

Level 2
Maze builder
LOAP for SC.
Better Risk maps.

Map with a limit on how many of an individual unit one can make (no zerg spam + rush)

Village Builder, That one Castle Builder thing.

If those maps were made for Starcraft, My purchase would be instantaneous.

Right now I'm waiting until the hype dies down.

Status
Not open for further replies.