• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What with Custom Models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello all, i'm still a WC3 casual player because my PC can't take SC2, but I was wondering what is Going on with Custom Models?

1. What are SC2 Models Formats. Knowing format is a great step for creating models

2. Is there a Model Editor able to handle SC2 Models, Or at least good Skinner working on some nice stuff. from what I heard so far, Only models and skins are poor qualities, and only Attachements a Viable for the moments.

3. If you have an awnser for both of those points, and tell me this answer, you should have some time to start back on Modeling.

Level 11
1. They are .m3
2. 3DS max works from what I've heard, there's a plugin to convert m3's somewhere. Also, skins are far more complex now than they were in WC3; they can have from 2 to 4 different skins, each of which is sized 1024*1024. There is a tesla-trooper skin for the firebat on mapster, but thats really the only one I've seen.
3. Don't model. >.>

Level 22
There is also Blender, sucky or not, it's the new milkshape even better than it some say. Not everyone will buy 3ds max for 3,000 USD (say max 11) or similar price or use a 1.5GB program. And blender can import M3 for now, export - they are working on it, and yes Blender for now is the only program besides 3ds max that will for sure get import not only for texture but also for animations and will allow export.

Maybe someone will make a magos equivalent in the future, for now modeling is minimal to none.

Level 4
Diden't know they were possible, would one of you please link a map which contains those custom models?

Status
Not open for further replies.