• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are You going to Sell your maps?

Are you going to sell maps?

• $$$$

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Some Maps

Votes: 38 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 40 18.8%
  • LOLWUT? HELL NO

Votes: 99 46.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Agreed². Some people are short sighted IN GENERAL. And everyone is, sometimes. But that's IN GENERAL. And actually not always. Also, if it costs 5 dollars, and let's say 10 thousand people bought the map, just think. Will they take 50 000$ for themselves ? Sure not. Blizzard takes probably a % of the pay. And probably a huge one.

If you are going to sell your maps, will you think about what I wrote ? (The % thing) Actually many will not. They will just say: "Ahh.. If I sell it, hmm, let's say 1$, and a lot lot lot of people buy it, I will become rich..Like 100 000$ Just for me.." WRONG. That's wrong. What should be reasonable:
"Hmm. If I sell my map 1$ and 1 thousand people buys it. It will make 1 000 dollars. Blizzard will take some percentage, let's say 40%, (although probably more) which will make..400$ for Blizzard, so 600$ for me. Let's keep up the website and forum alive, and pay 200$-300$.Let's say its per month: So that makes 300$ profit per month?" Sure it will be higher, but that's if the map isn't famous and great. So yes, Blizzard will probably take percentage of the paid amount.It's all anyways an offer to encourage mapmakers..

That's probably the most accurate you can get on my thoughts.

Level 5
Lolz I think that Blizz is going to take a toll of like 25% MAX and you're thinking that there are going to take 50% min, that's wrong if you ask me :p

IDK what % there gonna take, if they do take 1, but in my opinion, consumers should get all maps for free, and blizzard can pay mappers (maybe $0.1 per download) or something along those lines (with a minimum withdraw of like 10$)
Since many people are gonna purchase sc2 simply for the custom games (thus increasing sc2's revenue greatly, they should get a cut straight from the source pot.

Level 6
IDK what % there gonna take, if they do take 1, but in my opinion, consumers should get all maps for free, and blizzard can pay mappers (maybe $0.1 per download) or something along those lines (with a minimum withdraw of like 10$)
Since many people are gonna purchase sc2 simply for the custom games (thus increasing sc2's revenue greatly, they should get a cut straight from the source pot.

I think it's fair with Blizz taking a cut.

Blizz provides the engine, and the market. The mappers makes the mods.
Therefore, i would say it's only fair for Blizz to cut some $ off.

Level 5
I think both of you are right, this is Blizz's game and everything and they have right but think about it, most people would really buy just for the upcoming epic maps.
Anyway it's there decision on the % so who the f##k am I to judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.