• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizz Will Let Us Sell Maps on Bnet 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
http://kotaku.com/5343006/blizzard-you-may-sell-your-starcraft-2-maps-on-battlenet-eventually
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60148

So basically, a mapper can put his map up for sale on bnet and get a cut of the proceeds. I have mixed reactions. It sounds like a fantastic way to encourage quality maps and mods. With the motivation of money available to them, maybe some modders will actually finish their projects..

But it also sounds totally lame. I'm cheap and hate paying for things that I can legally get for free. For me, at least, the map is gonna have to be ridiculously mind-blowing for me to pay to get it.

Also, I wonder how Blizz will weed out the crap maps (or maybe they won't?) and ensure that people don't get bugged maps and mods.

In the end - no harm done I suppose. We still get free maps.

Discuss...

-EDIT-

It's OPTIONAL. Stop freaking out. There will still be free maps.

Last edited:
Level 12
@_@ Dangit, you posted this right before me!!! I made a thread and then saw this @_@

Will you have to pay for updates to maps? This is in end, bad IMO. While yes, I would love to get paid to make maps, I would hate to pay for other maps. I can see everybody tacking on $2.99 on their maps, making an awesome description, and an awesome preview shot, but then the map plain sucks. Unless they have a way for people to rate maps and it is heavily moderated, I see many problems in the future.

If you post a bad map, they should refund everybody who DLed it and penalize you. It could be good, but they will have to make it practically perfect for it to work.

Blizzard better choose which maps are premium, and then ask the user what price tag they would like stamped on it. Also I'd have a limit of like $5 tops.

Level 13
lol ya unless they get some way 2 only let you get it on bnet then this wont work out good at all so blizz ideas = FAIL

Level 12
Atmost they should restrict hosting of the map to people who have brought it. Or restrict the number of plays per day.

How would they prevent people from sending map to others for free? Have a list of people who have downloaded the map, and if you haven't then battle.net kills it? I'll wait till more details are released, but currently it is EXTREMELY fishy smelling.

Level 7
Atmost they should restrict hosting of the map to people who have bought it.

I agree. Otherwise, what's the point?

Dreadnought[dA];1275597 said:
How would they prevent people from sending map to others for free? Have a list of people who have downloaded the map, and if you haven't then battle.net kills it? I'll wait till more details are released, but currently it is EXTREMELY fishy smelling.
I'm still trying to understand the intricacies of the new bnet... Hopefully more details will come out as Blizzcon progresses.

Level 22
Yah, I'll waste money on custom maps, sure thing. As if there aren't enough ridiculous programs that cost money and are things that can be done with free windows applications and now to pay even for maps. What can I say, everyone now starts making everything commercial, waiting for the fool to spend his money. I won't be surprised if we see hosting a game to cost money. Today it's like that - "I'll make a picture of a circle and a square with MS Paint and put in on my website people to buy it in order to see it"... It's like everyone's thinking they r so great and people should only buy their work cause it's so great... not!

Very egoistic of the author if you ask me, about maps costing money.

Level 12
Yah, I'll waste money on custom maps, sure thing. As if there aren't enough ridiculous programs that cost money and are things that can be done with free windows applications and now to pay even for maps. What can I say, everyone now starts making everything commercial, waiting for the fool to spend his money. I won't be surprised if we see hosting a game to cost money. Today it's like that - "I'll make a picture of a circle and a square with MS Paint and put in on my website people to buy it in order to see it"... It's like everyone's thinking they r so great and people should only buy their work cause it's so great... not!

Very egoistic of the author if you ask me, about maps costing money.

You could say that about every product. Mostly though, I just absolutely HATE micro transactions.

like if there wouldn't be tools to crack those maps in the future. Really blizzard's protection methods of maps is pathetic, even their encryption method for wc3 maps sucked. I doubt that idea will work.

Plus there are many players out there that don't have a credit card or a direct mean for paying online. Most players aren't past the 16 years old age.

I think this is just another stupid idea of blizzard on how to get our money, since they are so desperate for it. Trust me the original map maker won't get more than 10% and guess where the other 90% ends?

Level 3
I think this is just another stupid idea of blizzard on how to get our money, since they are so desperate for it. Trust me the original map maker won't get more than 10% and guess where the other 90% ends?

Well you dont know it, as doesn't anyone else :)

Anyway, people are overreacting hilariously to this. There wont be much of Premium maps, because from what Rob Pardo explained, it sounded very much like that the custom map needs to be REALLY CUSTOM(and well made), meaning that almost 100% own content, models, skins, abilities, all that. Of course this isnt' fact either, but it sounded very much like that.

For example Dota most likely wouldn't be prerium map even if it's makers would want it to be.

And besides that, how many map makers really want to gimp their own creation by making it to cost? Nah.

Well, the system will probably work just fine, but isn't big deal at all for map community in the end, at least if it's controlled by Blizzard itself, so that only the real quality maps get there.

Level 3
It would definitely be a lot easier to respond to this if we had some more details. Does the map creator get to decide if his/her map is for sale, or does Blizz make all the decisions? If the former, than I'm all for it as long as Blizz checks to make sure that premium maps actually are custom and well made. I have a feeling that most indy modders like those who visit this site could care less about selling their map, but companies who use SC2 as a means of putting out their product will be happy that it exists.

However, if Blizzard gets to decide which maps are premium without any input from the creator, than this is a terrible idea. I really don't know what got into them; the free Battle.net experience is easily one of the best things about their older games. It looks like they're changing (and possibly ruining) it with this new BNet that seems more like an Xbox Live for Blizzard games.

Level 7
I think blizzard is aiming the feature not at third part developers like us. They probably are aiming it at other companies who will add copywrited content for aditional money and only for that map. Only time will tell.

I don't remember if it was in any of the articles I posted, but I think I read that they specifically were not aiming this at other gaming companies. Their primary motive for this was to encourage unique maps and mods from the community.

Of course, everything we're saying is still pretty speculative until we actually see it ourselves or hear more about it...

Level 7
if it will be very small cost (a dollar or even less) it may be nice, but unless the maker gets a reasonable share it will be pretty pointless and just for blizzard's pockets.
it would be even nice to be able to play for 1 time in a map to check it out before buying.

trust blizzard that this thing will be well protected so money will switch hands.

overall it can be very nice for map makers.

Level 8
Ehh, 1 or 2 Dollars / € won't hurt at all I think.

How would they prevent people from sending map to others for free?
Well they surely won't make that map Premium if the author doesn't want to lulz.

And Imo this will really encourage guys to make even more, even better maps. Yet it'll sure take a LOT effort to get something into Premium status. And if you think about DotA offering some people multiple hundreds of extra playing hours it surely is worth a Dollar ;)

Level 11
"Gather your teams, start your engines, get prepared to make a mod."
LoL, and we dont even know what we need for Map Editor, there are no third party tools yet, and basically you can do with them more than with editor itself... like what plugin we will need for models, what for textures... I hope this idea will fail... I just dont like it.

Tho this might be good we'll have to wait 6 more months and see.

Level 7
they write there that they want battle.net to be something like steam for develpers, so the editor must be fucking powerfull.
also they are tallking about really custom maps, so premium maps will be like an intire diffrent games.
i dont think it will hurt, worst senerio no one will buy/develop premium maps and blizzard will get off the idea.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
It seems to be some misunderstandings here. Only Blizzard decides which maps become premium. Blizzard have very high requirements for a map to become Premium, so a very few becomes premium maps while 99.99% becomes free maps. And also you have access to all future versions of that map once you paid premium fee (If I understood it correctly).

Only the best maps costs to play. If become premium; all dota addicts wouldn't mind paying a minor fee for playing the map. But perhaps a lot of people won't pay to play dota.

I wouldn't worry about the premium maps issue.

Level 3
Many have understood what "original" content means. It doesn't mean neccessarely that you have your own custom models, skins and abilities, but that the idea of the map is original. AoS, TD... not very original ideas, eh?

This is why DotA isn't original.

Level 12
Many have understood what "original" content means. It doesn't mean neccessarely that you have your own custom models, skins and abilities, but that the idea of the map is original. AoS, TD... not very original ideas, eh?

This is why DotA isn't original.

No, I really think Blizzard means you created most of the stuff including models, textures, icons, effects, ect. If I made an awesome FPS in SC2, I'm probably not being very original since there are a million FPS's out there, but why should that prevent it from being premiumed as long as it is good?

Level 3
Don't you see what this is about?
People are planing to make maps that aren't even close to being RTS's, they are going make SC2 a million games within a game.
Just paying $80-100 (Dont quote me on the price) for a million games, even if most of them are horrible? Not gunna happen. Hell, look what happened to dota. SC2 might branch off into 2-6 game types, and blizzard would technically own all of them.
The makers might even split a deal with blizz, maybe make some sort of downloadable mod for sc2 that contains the maps MPQ files, just think about that.
So, if your talking about selling premium maps, I think they mean whole new gametypes.
So yeah, bring on the buyable maps/games, just dont make em shit dota/footmen/td ripoffs.

Level 40
Dreadnought[dA];1276865 said:
The reason DotA doesn't have a ton of original content is because of the 4MB limit. If they have a 100 MB limit or w/e, then I could see maps and mods that compete with League of Legends/Heroes of Newerth. As long as the editor is extremely powerful.
They would first need to get some competent coders to get the code side of "original content" in as right now it leans very heavily on existing mechanics.

Level 6
Will there be some sort of limit on how much you can make a map cost? Because I don't want to have to spend 60 dollars on one.

And what happened to DoTA, exactly?

Level 7
It would better if it was free than costing anything.

It's an option available to mapmakers. Not every map will cost something.

The premium map system is being implemented to encourage and reward original and outstanding mapmakers. (At least, that's the stated goal....)

Level 3
Can't we just live happily and mod freely as we see in C&C community? I've faith in Blizzard, but IF they really plan to realize THIS plan, bye-bye, Blizzy!

Level 12
The process will be very selective, an average joe won't be able to submit his map premium.

The maps that can be sold must meet Blizzad's "epic requirement", yes2 it has to be totally epic and top of the line.

Also, I don't think it will be a pay for every download, but instead a subscription. You pay once and you can download as many times as you want, even updates, they just subscribe your bnet 2.0 account to the map.

Level 6
If blizzard opens a custom maps market before releasing them for sale they'll probably have a secondary company that will test the map check for odds in the code, etc. Also there would be a community apart blizzard that would release the maps for free.

I think that's a stupid idea, look: If you pay for the map and then you host it, other users to play must download the map in-game right? That means... that users would get the map for free and you would be the only user that had to pay for the map because you wanted to host it? Well a complex solution would be: users would download a protected map that would only allow them to play and not to host, who knows?

Still a stupid idea. I hope blizzard wont open a maps market!

There are some cons and pros about it, that would be a good way to increase the map production and the productivity of every map maker because that would be like a competition to who makes the best map, probably only the best quality maps would be released for sale, also that would be for a short period I think they wouldn't maintain the maps market open for longer then 1 year or so.

It's a smart move from blizzard. More maps = more money in their pockets.

Level 21
First no LAN and now this.

I think that Blizzard is going to be worse then EA if they continue like this. They are so shamelessly trying to get cash and are cutting of any free way of playing their new games. I won't surprise if battle net 2.0 needs to be payed. Say what you want but old good Blizzard is gone.

Level 12
First no LAN and now this.

I think that Blizzard is going to be worse then EA if they continue like this. They are so shamelessly trying to get cash and are cutting of any free way of playing their new games. I won't surprise if battle net 2.0 needs to be payed. Say what you want but old good Blizzard is gone.

"And are cutting off any free way of playing their new games"

/facepalm

Level 40
Oh my god guys! A company wants money! Run for the hills!

No shit they want money. The important part is that it looks like it will improve the production quality of mods for the users. That's right, us. Plenty of people will still make free maps, and some others will choose to make more ambitious products targeted at profiting from them. If they suck, don't play them. If they're good, should you be complaining about a few bucks for a lot of quality gaming?

Level 21
So you don't care about all other people that can't afford regular and good net and you like the fact that company like Blizzard is becoming even more money grabbing company?
What just because you can pay them all that means that all other people don't deserve to play? I know that main goal is to get money but there are things called limit.

Level 40
What the hell is a money grabbing company? Companies are designed primarily to profit. That's right, make money.

You realize that plenty of people will still be making free maps, right? Blizzard is not removing the option to play for free--they are adding the option for good modders to be paid for their work.

As for the net option (I assume you are referencing the LAN discussion), all you need is any internet to play "LAN" in StarCraft 2.

Level 21
Taking to much money can cause many people to stop using their products and if no body buys their stuff they don't get money.

I admit that i am not 100% right but we still need more info.

If they cut LAN option from Starcraft 2 you can have any internet on the world but you still won't be able to play LAN. Blizzard has announced that Starcraft 2 won't have LAN option so they'll force all players to play on battle net only. But this is of topic so even if I am right it doesn't matter.

Level 40
Uuh, you can play locally through battle.net.

Also, they really aren't taking too much money--you guys are just scared that since work is no longer free there will be an apocalypse and everyone will start demanding hundreds of dollars to play their map, all secretly directed from the Blizzard Eviltainment Head Torture Chambers or something.

Level 7
UGH.

Nobody seems to pay attention to the whole "It's optional to pay for maps" thing.

(First post edited.)

Level 12
1/10,000 maps will be considered premium. If you want to complain about that 0.01% go kill yourself immediately.

Karune himself answered to the stupid rumors about Blizzard charging people to use battle.net. It is still free to use. I believe the only thing you have to pay for is if you want to setup an official tournament, because they have to broadcast it.

Status
Not open for further replies.