• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Another Blizz Q&A session

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24630604051

Some ones for you mappers:

Q: Will the map editor be revised to be more newbie-friendly around release?

A: We have plans to put some new user help files online and additional help text, but overall the editor will not get many more newbie-friendly options as making custom maps is a pretty technical endeavor and there is already a lot of great information appearing all over the web to help with more complex development.

Q. Getting custom script into maps is currently complex. Are there plans to implement Galaxy scripting directly into the editor?

A. There are currently no plans for Galaxy script editing in the editor itself. However, through the Import Manager it should be pretty easy to add in your scripts as necessary. Are you having trouble doing it that way?

Q: Can you detail how the map publishing feature is going to work?

A: Sure. Map publishing will allow the user to store a few maps or mods associated with their account. You can choose to publish a map privately which will not display the map in the custom game list when you open it up, but you can invite your friends into a game on the map to help you test your map and ideas. Once you decide the map is ready for the rest of the community to play you can publish it publicly and then the map will be available for the rest of the community to see and start playing games with.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Cause the GUI in SC2 is 124 times better than that in WC3? No leaks, locals, custom functions, GUI can do that now.

Yes I still perfer custom scripting as I am a programmer but still. You no longer can be called a total noob for using GUI as it is nowhere near as bad as it was in WC3.

The maps do not have to be made bigger, for RPGs you can just make multiple maps via mod feature very easilly and the improved save/load system will mean no annoying strings (save and quit and host the other map). Doubling the map size will mean you are looking at 4 MB odd of just map data.

I however do hope the script language is extended to allow atleast 32 MB with pointers and stuff.

Level 17
Cause the GUI in SC2 is 124 times better than that in WC3? No leaks, locals, custom functions, GUI can do that now.

Yes I still perfer custom scripting as I am a programmer but still. You no longer can be called a total noob for using GUI as it is nowhere near as bad as it was in WC3.

So, this means that i am not a noob for using GUI anymore? :O
Awesome! :D

I can now live a happy life modding sc2 without having to feel like "one of the noobs".
That was the case in wc3. People always told me to start with jass :0

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Yes but there are 2 expansions to cover that...

Remember how much TFT improved WC3 over RoC....

Anyway, GUI of SC2 is a hell lot better than that in WC3. Firstly the imrpoved garbage colections means you can cearlessly make locations and groups and there will not be any leaks at all. Second the axcess to locals means no need for all the globals. There is also a better trigger orginization system to make stuff easier. Common code segments can be made into your own custom GUI actions. You can import whole GUI modules via libraries. The list of improvements over WC3 GUI is near endless. In the end however you still have better control over your map script by scripting.

Status
Not open for further replies.