1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Altered Melee] Ancient Empires

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Pson, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Pson

Pson

Resources:
    Resources:
    After a quite long time of not posting here and having ups and downs in development, my Ancient Empires map has reached a state that only some playtesting is needed before an early release. There was a thread for it but since it's closed by now, and the map has some major changes anyway, I'm starting a new one.

Pson Presents

Ancient Empires
    Created by Pson

Map Info & Download:

In short, it's an ancient era historal RTS, influenced by the Age of Empires series as well as other strategy games like 0 A.D.. Get the first beta version here.

Features:

- 8 playable civs. 5 are ready (Romans, Spartans, Athenians, Carthaginians and Macedonians) and 3 more to come (Persians, Celts, Scythians).

- AI for all playable civs.

- Increased focus on economy and overall room for more playstyles, with turtling, rushing, expansion, booming etc all being viable options.

- New armor system similar to the one in Age of Empires II.

- (Mostly) Soft counters representing realistic unit functions and strengths/weakenesses.

- Units ranking up by killing enemies.

- A huge range of technologies, both shared and civ-specific.

- Naval Combat serving the purpose of capturing fishing regions, which reduce the need for housing and can keep increasing the food cap after the farm limit is reached.

- Randomized neutral buildings and creeps adding more variety to each match.

- Capturable animals serving as an easy but fragile food boost or allowing the construction of stables without imports at the market.

- Many game modes (See Screenshots).

- Much more t.b.a. You can check some of them or some (possibly) scrapped features in the old thread

Civ Attributes:

The 5 civs ready for now are listed under the human race and called collectively Mediterraneans and include:

- ROMANS: Sword Infantry get +1 damage and +10 hit points. Main upgrades give bonuses to Infantry, structures and mechanical units.

- SPARTANS: Spearmen get +3 damage/+30 Hit Points and get limited to 1 per Farm. Main upgrades give bonuses to infantry, slaves and skirmishers.

- ATHENIANS: Workers get +1 gold capacity but starting gold is reduced by 50. Workers, Militia and buildings get +15% hit points. Each Athenian-specific Academy tech and each Phase researched grants one or two free Philosophers unit. Main upgrades give bonuses to ranged units, navy and structures.

- CARTHAGINIANS: Town Centers, Fortresses, Docks and Towers +50% hit points. All units and ships +150 line of sight. Main upgrades give bonuses to mercenaries, economy, structures and navy.

- MACEDONIANS: Stable units and Skirmishers get +1 damage and +10% movement speed. 3 Successor faction options with various bonuses each are unlocked for the Imperial Phase.

The 3 other Civs (Persians, Celts and Scythians) will have more distinct tech trees and models needed and are delayed for now.

Screenshots and Videos:

Screenshots

Image Description:
    Find more here

AI Town attack and Leaderboard:
    [​IMG]

Slingers:
    [​IMG]

Current Map Layout (slightly edited since the screen was taken):
    [​IMG]

Game modes (several have multiple levels - submodes)
    [​IMG]

Here's the wip credits list as listed in the map::

Credits

Credits: General Info
    If some of your resources is/was used in the map and I've missed you on the credit lists please contact me (Pson @ TheHiveWorkshop) and I will add you. You might find credits for currently unused resources, I've decided to include their creators as a small tribute to their effort and because even placeholders have helped a lot my motivation to work on the map.

Credits: Models/Skins
    hiveworkshop.com
    Wc3c.net
    Xgm.ru
    Fingolfin (some textures from 0 AD)
    grunt
    Deolrin
    Mike
    z00rtaz
    Eubz
    Zyne
    Wandering Soul

Credits: Fixes/Triggers
    GhostThruster
    Hell_Master
    Nichilus
    DotCa
    Huy60vn
    Pinzu
    Fingolfin

Credits: Icons/Artwork
    0 AD (Pyreon, Mythos_Ruler)
    Huy60vn
    Ragnoras
    BandolXD
    CakeMaster

Credits: Playtesting
    Fingolfin
    Tashadan
    Vruhg071
    uploader27
    Pinzu
    StoPCampinGn00b
    shaMewalkeR

I'm Looking For:

- Playtesters (the first alpha version is almost ready for release after some testing).

- Modelers (mostly for simple WC3 edits)

- A Good Triggerer (the map seems leak-free to my knowledge, but it shouldn't be, there's the odd late game crash)

- Any suggestions are welcome

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
    Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  2. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sounds cool. You know, i've been working on a similar map based on the hellenistic era inspired by "Greece". It was gonna have the same races as you have, + seleucids and ptolemaic egypt. The art style is pretty different from wc3, but you can have a peak of the models here.

I think your concept sounds solid and i like that AI is part of your ambition. It is also good that you have gone for a clean and simple tech tree which is easy to pick up. One question though, how are you going to present the different unit caps? From the old thread i understood you wanted different caps for different animal types. Will this be shown on a multiboard or did you take it out completely?

Good luck with your project!

3. Pson

Pson

Resources:
    Resources:
    You've got some amazing and accurate models there, I wouldn't expect to see such for WC3! I'd definitely ask for them but they wouldn't fit with the rest (unless you're up for making more, then I'm up for making this a joint project). Seleucids and Ptolemaics (as well as Antigonids) will be in my map, the Macedonians can chose any of the 3 dynasties for different options in the late game.

I've scrapped the special unit caps (at least for now) due to the AI not handling capturable buildings well (it's attacking group bugged after capturing). The new way I plan to work this out is by wisp style (consumed by the building) animals capturable in the wild or bought at the market, which are the only way to build stables and elephant stables, so the usually tougher than infantry and historically more limited cavalry units will need a better economy to spam. If I find a work-around though I'll consider returning it to the old way with iron, horses and elephants needed to increase an initially low cap for cavalry, heavy infantry and war elephants, or possibly a system with aspects of both.

4. matt5556

matt5556

Resources:
    Resources:
    Please Add AI and Creeps,Also make the terrain better..just a bit more trees.Does it have heroes like Alexander the Great,Hercules,and many others?I would like that very much,also nice screenshots!REP+Total Support.

5. Pson

Pson

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the support:)

There's already AI for all factions, good enough to beat any newbie although it still has some issues

There are some creeps planned/placed, wolves/lions/boars etc according to each map (lions for the current one). I don't think creeps will reach wc3 levels though. Trees are already many for a dessert/oasis map, I'm actually thinking of reducing them or their lumber amound as this map is partly about expanding to get enough lumber. Other maps will have more though when/if they come. I'm also open to suggestions on if the core/base map should be this one/have this layout.. something to be decided after more playtesting.

There are no heroes so far (nor will be in the default game), but some might come when I add more game modes. A heroes mode is possible (with real people like Alexander etc), a mythology mode is planned (with mythic beasts trained at the temple and possibly mythic heroes like Hercules) and a regicide (kill the enemy king) mode is also possible.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  6. matt5556

matt5556

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you don't have heroes,then you can add a unit that can equip items and you can only have one of them each time.Which means it's limited to 1 each player,for example:1 Siege Commander or..Like other heroes you can revive it.

7. Pson

Pson

Resources:
    Resources:
    That would be almost the same as having heroes, I could just disable their XP gain. So I'd rather leave them for special game modes, it's not meant to be wc3 in another setting anyway. However, you will find some special units, limited to 1 (like roman centurion after researching the marian reforms) or granted only in special ways (like athenian philosophers after researching tier or academy upgrades).

8. matt5556

matt5556

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm....What about near the oasis there are sand scorpions?Or maybe sandwinder snakes.Anyways,thanks for informing me about the Limited to Only-1 Units.:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

9. Pson

Pson

Resources:
    Resources:
    The setting aims to be realistic, so I'd rather have for example lions as creeps instead of scorpions/snakes that would need to be exaggerated in size or too tiny to fit in gameplay, as well as seem less threatening. Also the former style is closer to Age Of Empires which is another desirable thing.

On another note, I've done some playtesting with volunteers but I'd like more before the first release.

10. Ragnoras

Ragnoras

Resources:
    Resources:
    Did ya add elephants to Carthage? Because their main specialty are War elephants

11. Pson

Pson

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yup, they've got their War Elephants. I've also got a special War Elephant model, made by Grunt for this map, it could use some edits to be perfect though.

The 3 Macedonian sub-factions also get access to War Elephants, as they historically did after conquering the east, with the Seleucids having the most powerful War Elephants in the game, in the form of Armored Elephants (extra upgrade that Carthaginians, Antigonid Macedonians, and Ptolemaics lack). Persians will have War Elephants too when they are finished.

They are trained at the Elephant Stables, which require an Elephant unit, capturable in the wild or imported at the market. Also, out of the 3 mercenary camps available at randomised locations in the map, the Numidian one gives access to mercenary war elephants to any faction (as well as Numidian Cavalry).

War Elephants besides the "elite" and armored upgrades feature an upgradable fear ability that reduces nearby enemies attack damage, a cleaving attack and do siege damage. They are the most durable land unit and the most expensive one.

They might have a run amok trigger setting them to neutral hostile when heavily hurt, but I've disabled those small trigger touches until I find out what causes the occasional late game lag and rare crashes.

That's all on War Elephants I guess:)

12. Ragnoras

Ragnoras

Resources:
    Resources:
    Are you a fan of AOE ?

13. Pson

Pson

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've played all 4 Age Of Empires and Age of Mythology, some much, others a little so I guess I am. This map is an effort to bring their gameplay to WC3 adding more realism and new ideas, but also keeping an eye on balance and engine limitations. It's also set in my favorite historical era.

14. Ragnoras

Ragnoras

Resources:
    Resources:
    My favourite one was 3, i really likw the muskeeters and skirmishers, its my favourite period, my favourite was Ottoman, Japan in Asain dynasties and Aztec in warchiefs

15. Pson

Pson

Resources:
    Resources:
    I still think the best gameplay-wise were the first 2, especially the second one since the first had a number of annoying and limited controls. I like how AOE3 differentiates the civs a bit more though, I'd do that if I had more models and space. Maybe if I have the time and assistance for a full mod version in the future.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  16. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I just made an amazing set of ancient greek buildings, all with ingame textures. I will upload them once i am done with particles and touch-ups. They include a town center, stables, barracks, archery range and a house. I will also make a temple, siege workshop and tower. Pics will come soon.

17. Pson

Pson

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm asking for them in advance;) A greek set is the most useful since it can be used for romans and carthaginians as well without looking too much out of place, saving precious space as well. Btw if the inspiration behind this is my map, I'm using fortress to train siege units instead of a siege workshop. The human barracks scaled up a little looks quite good for this purpose though.

18. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    lol no, the inspiration was my own map. Also the fact that they could be some of the most useful building models on the hive.

Here are some screens:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Pson

Pson

Resources:
    Resources:
    So are you going to work on your map? Btw didn't expect the AOM meets 0 AD influence and they look great. However I wonder if they will fit with standard WC3 style, especially due to their low height (compared to width), which is a common "mistake" WC3 modelers make when trying to make realistic ancient/medieval structures.

20. matt5556

matt5556

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just asking,are you going to make a Mythology:Based map after this?Because I would really like that so much.Altered Melee.