• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Role Playing Game] Acheron

On which RPG Genre this project should be focused the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Thank you very much, sonofjay. :) I hope to bring a satisfying result in gameplay as well.

EDIT: As for the storyline part, Molaf is working on the story development for the next area that will include Hermes role, I am certain this will turn out to be very interesting due to so many branches of the storyline.

Another thing worth mentioning. I took my time and I optimized a lot of models and textures. By that I mean I reduced its size greatly. The biggest textures has been optimized, made it slightly smaller, becuse it is a madness to use 512x512 for an attachment model, and compressed it. As for models, I removed all unneccesarry animations from models reducing the size by a great scale. Also dumped material from Import Manager that was not useful at the moment. With this optimization I got rid of up to 40 MBs and up to 25 MBs in an overall size of compressed map. Just to mention, nothing major.

Thank you very much, sonofjay. :) I hope to bring a satisfying result in gameplay as well.

EDIT: As for the storyline part, Molaf is working on the story development for the next area that will include Hermes role, I am certain this will turn out to be very interesting due to so many branches of the storyline.

Another thing worth mentioning. I took my time and I optimized a lot of models and textures. By that I mean I reduced its size greatly. The biggest textures has been optimized, made it slightly smaller, becuse it is a madness to use 512x512 for an attachment model, and compressed it. As for models, I removed all unneccesarry animations from models reducing the size by a great scale. Also dumped material from Import Manager that was not useful at the moment. With this optimization I got rid of up to 40 MBs and up to 25 MBs in an overall size of compressed map. Just to mention, nothing major.

Tough I don't personally care about the file-size, but great job. The download speed is gonna be more enjoyable now, I'm sure a lot of people will be really satisfied with the clean up.

Question: How long will the full game be without rushing anything, and will the speed-walking or rushing is going to be possible? Will it decrease the game's time, any major changes?

Level 31
I don't care about it myself as well, but I thought why to take that space if it could be free, considering it was not just few big files, but a lot, even 40 useless MBs.

Game time will range and the gap between possible outcomes may be vast. If player is new and if player will take his / her time to pay attention to the details, find all hidden stuff, unlock achievements, if player is also new to the map and this is the first time, it may take really long. I believe only first 20% of the game will take several hours if being played slowly without any rushing.

As for possibility to rush, of course it will be possible. As for me, who knows all about the game, it takes me very little of time to complete all in a speed mode. Everything happens very rapidly and easily once player gets to know the game. As for harder difficulty modes, it will automatically be harder and the speed may slow down, as it may require to finish side quests for bonuses, where as the easy mode (apprentice mode), may not require to finish any puzzle or side quest in order to succeed in the main quest line, but doing those will reward the player. Basically the less you know about the game, the longer it will take, and the rushing for time will be possible.

But you asked about the full game, I really do not know, because currently only about 25% is done, but surely the same laws applies to the future development, as side quests and puzzles will truly be at the side for bonuses. Also, several different outcomes of the end will motivate (hopefully) player to replay with a different difficulty mode and follow the different path.

I will follow different psychology than previously. I will not force the player to complete very difficult tasks in order to move on, puzzles and challenges will be presented in a way so that it can be skipped if player is not capable to deal with them, but harder mode will make those tasks a must. And I will not try to punish the player for doing wrong, I will do the opposite, I will reward player for trying and doing the right. This is much more effective in terms of psychology, reward is must more effective motivation method than the punishment, this I will try to do in my project.

Level 31
Thank you. :)

Project is on hold for weeks and it still may remain to be on hold for few weeks even further, at least, sadly. I am occupied by studies to the max as it requires many hours a day and there is no energy left to continue the project after day's works. I really wish to get back to it as soon as possible and that I will try to achieve as soon as I can, even though June's exam session and July's university practice doesn't predict any good news for the project.

Level 31
Thanks, guys.

Project was on hold for more than a month, but slowly I am getting back to it. Dealing with Hermes role, some unit modeling, wrapping up some quests with Molaf's help. I may have several weeks of free time on June, hopefully I will move forward with this.

Thanks, guys.

Project was on hold for more than a month, but slowly I am getting back to it. Dealing with Hermes role, some unit modeling, wrapping up some quests with Molaf's help. I may have several weeks of free time on June, hopefully I will move forward with this.

I'm curious if you are planning to do demo?

Level 31
I suppose not. I may get one or two guys to review before the final release though, this also includes Molaf despite his problems with game lighting. It also could be you, A_Void, your keen eye is able to spot many little details. I consider Lordkoon also a good reviewer.

I do not wish to spoil things with a demo before the release. I followed this "strategy" with Iceborn and it blew up the day it was released, so I aim for the same.

I suppose not. I may get one or two guys to review before the final release though, this also includes Molaf despite his problems with game lighting. It also could be you, A_Void, your keen eye is able to spot many little details. I consider Lordkoon also a good reviewer.

I do not wish to spoil things with a demo before the release. I followed this "strategy" with Iceborn and it blew up the day it was released, so I aim for the same.

It would be an honor to review and test your game APproject, as I mentioned earlier, if you need any help just PM.

I will make sure to have you as one of the testers, but for that to take place, a long way to go. :)

Also, are you planning on using Executable startup on your project? Basically a custom .exe that opens the map auto without going into Warcraft III.

You download the map file .w3x with .exe and run the .exe, it starts your map if you have War3 Installed. It can be customized to be more advanced, hard-coding the map inside .exe so that nobody can edit it. ect..

The downside is that this works for Single-Player only, which is suited to your project. :)

Level 31
Sounds cool, especially the part where you can add a start up images and so on. But are you going to be able to still open the map through Wc3? Because I fear many people may fall into confusion at start, this would prevent many from opening the map as many do not read what is written after WARNING sign. Then automatically my PM and comment section would get flooded with the same questions. But if it can be opened traditionally, then surely it is cool.

Sounds cool, especially the part where you can add a start up images and so on. But are you going to be able to still open the map through Wc3? Because I fear many people may fall into confusion at start, this would prevent many from opening the map as many do not read what is written after WARNING sign. Then automatically my PM and comment section would get flooded with the same questions. But if it can be opened traditionally, then surely it is cool.

yes it can. But an .exe is much faster, one click and you run the map without having to normally launch it. :)

Edit: But I don't think Hiveworkshop allows uploading .Exe files to the map upload section. So you would have to upload your map to some other hosting server like mediafire or mega.co. Map uploading will allow you to forward the download to a given link.

Level 31
Chrome immediately blocks the downloaded file due to .exe extension, explorer can not maintain the website and downloading with added .rar extension corrupts the file. Perhaps I need another browser or somehow turn off chrome's concern, or the file could be put to .rar before upload. That may rise the same problems for players though. I could not download it.

Chrome immediately blocks the downloaded file due to .exe extension, explorer can not maintain the website and downloading with added .rar extension corrupts the file. Perhaps I need another browser or somehow turn off chrome's concern, or the file could be put to .rar before upload. That may rise the same problems for players though. I could not download it.

Gimme a sec, I will put it into an archive 7zip.

EDIT: Ok, click on the link again to download it (above post).

Level 11
No it won't detect it.
I've created an .exe for your map - Iceborn, if Warcraft 3 is found and installed, it will run the map automatically. The map file has been compiled into the .exe, there is absolutely no way of editing it or opening it in the editor.

Download the exe to test it out yourself. Note: I uploaded it to Mega.CO.NZ because Hive doesn't allow uploading of files higher than 50 MB as attachments or into the pastebin.

Here is the virus report.

5ev2gh.png

Haha, your idea seem likes making a new game base on WCIII.

Level 24

Go to extentions and check "Developer mode"
Then you can drag and drop extentions to it.
(Dunno if .exe files counts as an extention though but that is how you can install extentions that are not downloaded via the G chrome store.)

Level 31
That's the problem, if a player needs to adjust the options of the browser to download, it is not a good way to present the game, it should be instant, perhaps there is a way to override exe extension with something else not so detectable?

I like your point of view, A_Void, community needs more people like you. :)

Yet another problem appeared. So I downloaded it normally, unzipped and it was all cool, but when I clicked it, error message appeared saying that it could not find Warcraft directory, because mine is named Warcraft III TFT, so I had to rename the folder to make it work. This is another problem, I guess the system at least should look into the folder where it is located or perhaps any other way around it. Just because forcing player to do extra tasks to make things work is not attractive and in the long run many potential players may not even look into guide how to make it work.

But it worked very well and smoothly, I like it. :)

That's the problem, if a player needs to adjust the options of the browser to download, it is not a good way to present the game, it should be instant, perhaps there is a way to override exe extension with something else not so detectable?

I like your point of view, A_Void, community needs more people like you. :)

Yet another problem appeared. So I downloaded it normally, unzipped and it was all cool, but when I clicked it, error message appeared saying that it could not find Warcraft directory, because mine is named Warcraft III TFT, so I had to rename the folder to make it work. This is another problem, I guess the system at least should look into the folder where it is located or perhaps any other way around it. Just because forcing player to do extra tasks to make things work is not attractive and in the long run many potential players may not even look into guide how to make it work.

But it worked very well and smoothly, I like it. :)

The first problem with downloading the file is fixed when put into an archive, lot's of browsers don't generally trust .exe files.

The second problem with Warcraft directory is an anomaly, there never was a code to search for directory..
EDIT: I renamed my Warcraft 3 directory to something random and it still worked for me. So this problem is highly a personal problem with your Warcraft 3 installation, since this did not happen to any of the people who tested it.

Besides there never was a code to search for a directory or a folder, you should try reinstalling Warcraft 3. The error you've might be getting is related to your Warcraft 3 path and installation.

So, are you planning on using it?
• It protects your map file from outside access.
• It can be compressed, greatly decreasing size.
• Fast and easy to start the project with just one click.
• It can have plugins such as a splash screen, custom .ico, startup launcher or an intro movie, unlimited customization.

Level 31
That's odd, changing folder's name fixed it for me, but only it. I hope it is only me who has this issue, hehe.

Of course I will, if it can decrease file size, then it is a great option. By how much could it decrease, for exmaple, Iceborn's file size? It is now about 188 MBs, to what size could it be converted? Also an intro image such as launcher is a cool feature, I would like to do it for this project.

Especially if file size is decreased by a generous amount, it may become much more appealing to players with a slower connection, meaning many may download .exe file to save time, also facing cool image intro or something like that, this would surely improve an overall quality of the game, it would feel like warcraft even less. :)

As for protection, it will be an open source as all my submitions, so I guess not so much of use of this for me, but still a good addition to a whole set. :)

The plugins are added using software, for compression you could use MPRESS. If you want an intro movie to play when the .exe is run you must use Rad Video Tools to make it either bink or a smack video file, however you will have to create a script that launches the game after the video is played. Splash Screen Machine is the only tool available to create startup image when the .exe is run.

There are more tools to choose from, these are just some of the examples.

#As for open source, if you are gonna use this then there will be no way for editing it, unless you upload the map file itself for others.

Last edited:
Level 31
Sorry for the lack of updates. I am just recently trying to get back to the development after the exam session and there is lot to be done on the quest part, but nothing really to update so far. I will be pushing with terrain soon, so I hope to bring an update this week, hopefully.

Level 8
Sorry for the lack of updates. I am just recently trying to get back to the development after the exam session and there is lot to be done on the quest part, but nothing really to update so far. I will be pushing with terrain soon, so I hope to bring an update this week, hopefully.

It's okay take your time with your awesome project.Was just too curious ;D

Level 31
Here is a small update. The game will feature Pythia character who is known as the oracle of ancient greek temple. This was the idea of Molaf to bring the oracle in. It is a woman over 50 years old, of course in this scenario she will be kind of dead, yet still maintain her powers. She will give a quest, quite simple one, yet the way it will be completed will influence the future in a slight way. As for the voice acting I needed an old woman and that is MUCH more problematic to get than a young voice. And then I found a cool website, that is acapela-group and this website provides quite okay robotic - computer voices. I mean having a computer to read the text is never a good idea in terms of basic immersion, as it ruins the atmosphere, but as for a computer this website provided a really decent voice acting quality I must say, not as good as normal human voice acting service, but quite good as a computer. So because of better computer voice alternative and in need of old woman voice I turned to this website. You still can tell it is computer, but it is decent.
GLRGdHi.png

Level 31
Thanks. :)

Sounds like a good idea, Duke, looking for an alternative to explain the voice might do the trick, but I already had Medusa embedded into a statue and it had some assumptions made about being locked in a stone, so I suppose in this scenario Pythia in the stone would not fit 100%, but it is possible though.

Level 31
Thanks, Sclammerz. :)

Terrain update. Grove of Persephone, wife of Hades. This is the forest-like area that player will be sent to by Pythia the ex. Oracle of Delphi. Area is all smoky and misty, having slight clouds floating on the ground all over the area, animated. Picture is taken ingame.
J9agYu7.png

Level 31
Grove of Persephone is mythological area which is sacred to her, we can say she hangs out there, she also meets Hades in those groves. Persephone is the queen of Underworld, so naturally the grove should be placed in the underworld, not sure about it though. If not, this is an interpretation.

Groves sacred to her are said by Homer to be in the western extremity of the earth, on the frontiers of the lower world, which is itself called the house of Persephone. (Od. x. 491, 509.)

Lower world I suppose is the underworld.

Grove of Persephone is mythological area which is sacred to her, we can say she hangs out there, she also meets Hades in those groves. Persephone is the queen of Underworld, so naturally the grove should be placed in the underworld, not sure about it though. If not, this is an interpretation.

Groves sacred to her are said by Homer to be in the western extremity of the earth, on the frontiers of the lower world, which is itself called the house of Persephone. (Od. x. 491, 509.)

Lower world I suppose is the underworld.

I really like the lightning, those lights look immersive. :)

Level 31
Thanks, I hope to bring another screenshot within few days. :) This area of Persephone may offer a quest as well, many women voices concentrated in this part of the game though, hehe.

The more I read about greek myths the more I get surprised about the rape phenomemon in there, it is literally everywhere.

Since some users encountered problems opening Iceborn.exe, I've redone entire code for more efficient and reliable startup. It uses Registry keys to automatically find your Warcraft 3 installation.

It should work for everyone that has correctly installed Warcraft 3. Post your suggestions and questions in the Executable Project Tutorial thread.

Download

5ev2gh.png

Last edited:
Sounds great. Sadly for some reason my browser rejected the zip file, no idea why. Perhaps try rar?
You have a problem with your browser, I have chrome and it works without problems. ZIP file is the most commonly used format for compressed packages, It' is a serious problem if your browser can't open it.

Level 31
Okay, so I turned off browser's protection from unwanted files and it downloaded properly. Perhaps you have it turned off. Yet when I click on exe file, error pops in saying /War3.exe could not be found, it can not be found even when placed in WC3 directory even though the file is here.

@Zwiebelchen
Much left to be done, I am roughly at 30% progress right now, hehe. So I hope to have it done in the end of this year if I am lucky, if not, early next year. You know all about it, human beings are terrible at planning, let alone predicting future. :)

EDIT: Just the beginning of river Phlegethon, river of fire. This river branches out of Marsh of Styx in Erebus and carries on separating Asphodel Meadows (second part of the entire map) from Tartatarus. This is just a soft transition from the Marsh to Phlegethon. Player will have to cross this river once again (with more visuals) when attempting to enter Tartarus. However there will be one of game endings when you will not have to enter Tartarus. Around the bridge it is all dark, but the river brings a bright red glow and a refreshment to the environment. Screenshot taken ingame.
xQU5aIo.png

Last edited:
Okay, so I turned off browser's protection from unwanted files and it downloaded properly. Perhaps you have it turned off. Yet when I click on exe file, error pops in saying /War3.exe could not be found, it can not be found even when placed in WC3 directory even though the file is here.

@Zwiebelchen
Much left to be done, I am roughly at 30% progress right now, hehe. So I hope to have it done in the end of this year if I am lucky, if not, early next year. You know all about it, human beings are terrible at planning, let alone predicting future. :)

Edit: #Crossing River of Fire in Erebu. Wow! I am really hoping for a first person camera, it would be so immersive to just explore! (You could make it optional)

I just noticed some lightning glitches: 1. the shading on those three rocks is messed up. 2. The area where the bridge connects to the ground is messed up and jaggy. 3. I don't know if you can see it but in the lake you can see thin black lines. Also, why is it snowing?

280laag.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.