• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1.32.0.4 BETA NOTES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
1.32.0.4 BETA NOTES

Pete Stilwell said: blizzarrow.gif

Howdy Friends,

The time for custom games in Reforged Beta has arrived. There will be bugs. Custom games are a complicated marriage of your creativity and the engine’s cantankerous habit of rejecting that which does not please it. So, say it with me now, “There will be bugs.”

We’ve put great energies into addressing crashes, desyncs, and conditions that destroy gameplay, but there are millions of maps that have utilized triggers in billions of ways. Can I get a, “There will be bugs”?

The purpose of the beta is to speed the process of getting this game ready, and we appreciate everyone who is gutting this out with us. We expect this first deploy to expose a lot of good data. Data that will direct our efforts toward the preservation of this game’s great history - and bright future. At the risk of being redundant, there will be…

SPECIFIC CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS

• Custom games
  • Replays
  • Full map pools
KNOWN ISSUES
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/beta-known-issues-list/ 219

UPCOMING
We’re starting custom games on a Monday morning to give us the optimal amount of time to find and fix problems. We expect to patch aggressively.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
15 GB download!

Lots of changes and updates to the Editor!

The Captain's beard is not team colored anymore!

Untitled-3.jpg

Level 7
All the models that were previously broken in my map work, except this one strangely: Humvee

Convert string to id works properly now thx for fixing.

Still getting hard fps drops on selecting a building in the list though :(

Level 5
the editor is so broken its really incredible, since the update i had the missing icon/tooltip/art bug for my custom abilitys again, its just more rare and random now?
You can not set the color or alpha of special effects, a lot of the per unit/ability field functions do not work, using BlzSetAbilityStringLevelField to update the tooltip of a units ability works randomly, sometimes it does sometimes it does not, how to even code such an unreliable mess?

Why try to implement custom games when the editor lies in pieces? wtf are they even doing

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Blizzard cannot even make a proper changelog now? Next level, eh?

Anyway:
You people have seen how buggy the patches of original Warcraft in the last few years have been.
Why oh why did you expect Reforged to be any different?
I wonder how many people regret their preorder at this point.

Level 34
Blizzard cannot even make a proper changelog now?
Thats what I was laughing at.
I literally were laughing here in dark room! Always... but always they have something interesting to impress us! It looks like incapable and uneducated people lead that game. And promoting, marketing and stuff! Not like professionals and experts as Blizzard may hire. Kids in my neighborhood can promote better it in youtube/facebook/twitter/other relevant sites than Blizzard's guys! AHAHAHAHA

Next level, eh?
You know what impressed me the most, what I cannot forget for few days already? It constantly bugs me from time to time. When their developer wrote in that silly patch post ,,<Insert hype about current patch>" hahahaa INSERT HYPE! What hype..... Who is hyping anyway, ... deceived people? Or we expecting some updates instead of constant silence. They were silent so long and suddenly genius came with ,,insert hype" :cgrin: like talking to mentally challenged kids in institution!
That beats me. I am still laughing! But they are right, I am hyped now literally. I constantly ask myself since tonight ,,What is next to impress me?"

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
What is this "you people" stuff? Don't act like everyone other than you knows how terrible this is being handled.
I refer to the people who are still surprised about this.
I have no illusions about being the only one or one of the few. Even I am not arrogant enough for that.

Thats what I was laughing at.
I literally were laughing here in dark room! Always... but always they have something interesting to impress us! It looks like incapable and uneducated people lead that game. And promoting, marketing and stuff! Not like professionals and experts as Blizzard may hire. Kids in my neighborhood can promote better it in youtube/facebook/twitter/other relevant sites than Blizzard's guys! AHAHAHAHA

You know what impressed me the most, what I cannot forget for few days already? It constantly bugs me from time to time. When their developer wrote in that silly patch post ,,<Insert hype about current patch>" hahahaa INSERT HYPE! What hype..... Who is hyping anyway, ... deceived people? Or we expecting some updates instead of constant silence. They were silent so long and suddenly genius came with ,,insert hype" :cgrin: like talking to mentally challenged kids in institution!
That beats me. I am still laughing! But they are right, I am hyped now literally. I constantly ask myself since tonight ,,What is next to impress me?"
This is all nothing but the cherry on top of the other issues.

Level 20
@Shar Dundred @MasterHaosis
You've only noticed that they aren't doing patch notes for the beta now? :) They haven't been doing them from the start. At least they're consistent.

What I'm actually amused by is that if you look at their "known issues list", as we get closer to release and more patches roll out, it only keeps growing. And some of the issues listed have been there since day 1 of the beta. Wonder how many of them are going to make it to release.

Level 7
I wish this thread was moderated to remove some of the posts that are not specific feedback.

I appreciate that people are emotional about the topic of Reforged and I have my own feelings on the matter.

However I can imagine Blizz scrolling through many pages of this discussion on the general merits of the game looking for specific feedback on bugs/models etc. makes finding them very difficult, which makes fixing the game take even longer.

There are other places on the Hive such as the Reforged section to discuss general feelings on the game... in my opinion the patch threads should be moderated for specific feedback on the patch, reporting bugs and issues only rather than long back and forths between users. Otherwise they devolve into this very quickly.

Level 2
SpaceFelOrc model instead shows Marine model in the editor.

If they make SpaceFelOrc a fully sci-fi themed model (like marine), I'm totally gonna cry because in old War3 it can still kinda pass for goblin tech, not straining player's suspension of disbelief that much. If it becomes 100% sci-fi themed, it will become unusable for any even remotely lore-friendly map.

*sigh* requesting SpaceFelOrc goblin-tech model, kind sirs. Can't find any alternative for my desigh... unless you know the manual path to the model and it's already included, please let me know in that case. thanks.

Level 10
Okay, I admit I have no idea how Warcraft III works from within, but please explain to me - why a simple reskin has so many problems?

I think it should be clear by now that it isn't just a reskin. But an overwhaul of this pasta-code we call the "engine". And so far, whenever they touched it or any other part of the code, litterally everything broke (remember the patch they went to server based hosting? Or they patched to CASC?I do...). And with the task to introduce crossplay between classic and reforged, they are fiddling even more with the servers. And need screw with the editor, since mappers will be required to differentiate models between reforged and classic. And oh boy, the bugs when the work on the editor...

Now, whenever these overwhaul of the engine is good or bad or a different thing. I wholeheartly appreciate it, while others ridicule every change. And i can even understand that position. There are overall more bugs since the changes.

Level 34
You've only noticed that they aren't doing patch notes for the beta now? :) They haven't been doing them from the start. At least they're consistent.
No, I am confused becauyse it is 15GB of not well documented patch notes! That is lot of size.

I wish this thread was moderated to remove some of the posts that are not specific feedback.
But this is not about just feedback, this is discussion about patch itself, so it is in topic.About what is fixed, what should be fixed, what is listed or not in this case. You can't really report all bugs if you do not know what is changed at all.

Fair game to Archian, that guy tried as best he could. He found news, and collected all informations he could, packed it very nicely for us. Its Blizzard's fault that many changes/updates are not listed.

I appreciate that people are emotional about the topic of Reforged and I have my own feelings on the matter.
This has nothing to do with emotions.Here is fact that they announced game long time ago and were silent almost whole year, that they did false advertising, disappointing many customers, they had summer and autumn for those patches, not just two and half weeks before supposed release, and yes, there is no release date yet. So do not confuse personal feelings with fact how they badly represented game and wasted too much time until now, where they could do this much before, for more efficiency. This patch is actually nicely done, but should have come much earlier.

However I can imagine Blizz scrolling through many pages of this discussion on the general merits of the game looking for specific feedback on bugs/models etc.
And this is exact problem. They read only what they wish to read, not what is supposed to read (that majority of people are not even disappointed but many are amused now). They did made that game looking as joke as how they handled it. And this is case IF (with big IF) they will read this at all. As @MasterBlaster pointed out, there are many bugs since day 1 which are not being solved. In some cases people seem to pointlessly report bugs as they are not solved yet. So, this all looks like parade, just that people see something is happening, to prevent outrage. They will fix what they want, release game how and when they want. That is not big deal.

makes finding them very difficult, which makes fixing the game take even longer.
While communities are often troublesome, toxic and agressive, this is not case. Do not think that anyone can blame anyone from community regarding this. This is al Blizzard's fault. BECAUSE THERE ARE NO STATEMETS SO FAR why are patches being so delayed, what are problems, when will game be released and what the hell is happening. So, this cannot be reason for ,,fixing game longer", because they are main reason for this. If they updated us regularly, set up condition of game and release game, this all would not happen.

Level 34
@moyackx Hey! Nice to see you. You did not preorder it yet?
I will most likely buy it once it is released, just after see if I can run it on my computer (the hell, not even exact specifications), regardless of not game is bad. I must because I am dumb then. I wasted too much time on this, watching videos daily and reading tons of posts, hoping to find anything good!

Level 3
I don't know where to report about bugs now on the hive, so let it be here
MAJOR I have an interesting bug. Not completely checked it out yet, but... there it is:
1) If you write word "test" in the game (lobby) name, you will be dropped to the scorescreen upon finishing loading the map (also I suppose there are other things, like spaces or other words too)
upload_2019-12-11_0-54-23.png

MINOR Also a little bug
2) Changing locale causes symbols to be eaten (Or there's an other reason of this, like... previosly mentioned bugs)
(Russian locale, a bit different text style, I suppose)
Screenshot_20.png

(English locale)
upload_2019-12-11_1-3-2.png

MINOR bug
3) If you select an item (lying on the ground) and then a hero, the hero will have an item portrait instead of his own

Last edited:
Level 15
@moyackx Hey! Nice to see you. You did not preorder it yet?
I will most likely buy it once it is released, just after see if I can run it on my computer (the hell, not even exact specifications), regardless of not game is bad. I must because I am dumb then. I wasted too much time on this, watching videos daily and reading tons of posts, hoping to find anything good!
Yes, I preordered but with the normal price, not the spoils of war edition.

BTW, nice to see you again, we're getting more and more sexiest with the pass of time :)

Last edited:
Level 27
There are other places on the Hive such as the Reforged section to discuss general feelings on the game... in my opinion the patch threads should be moderated for specific feedback on the patch, reporting bugs and issues only rather than long back and forths between users. Otherwise they devolve into this very quickly.

There is a whole subforum dedicated to get objetive feedback from the users testing the patches right here -> Patch & Reforged Discussion

And this is the site news section, where people is free of talk and being as opinionated as they want.

Level 20
I'm just going to drop this here:

---

The really interesting part is the toggle between classic and reforged campaigns, with the description for the latter saying:

"updated graphics, LOST MISSIONS and other quality of life improvements".

---

My thoughts:

1) I like "lost missions" and "quality of life" changes - wonder what those will be.

2) The art is nice, but the UI could use to be less "artistic clickfest" and more "actually useable". It legit makes me sad that it needs more clicking and scrolling to navigate the campaign menu than the classic game - I was expecting an upgrade here, not a downgrade.

I would strongly suggest just making the art smaller and putting all campaigns on a single screen or if you really want to have "pages", cut the number to 2 - one for RoC, one for TfT - instead of 3. And instead of arrows, put two buttons that say "Reign of Chaos" and "The Frozen Throne". Will be less confusing and "click-y" that way.

And heck, utility aside, even despite all the fancy art, I'd still say the classic UI - both the menu and campaign screens - is simply better designed and better looking.

3) I hope "updated graphics" doesn't just mean new models and stuff, but also improved terraining, better cutscenes within the classic style and other things.

---

Some less related thoughts:

1) I really dislike how in order to start any map, you have to use the "Custom Games" menu that automatically posts your game on the game list.

The menu itself is okay-ish, though I'm not a fan that just like the campaign menu it requires more clicks and scrolling to navigate than the classic game, but whatever. What really pisses me off is that as I understand, there doesn't seem to be a way to start the game with the AI or play a solo game or even set up a multiplayer game without it being automatically posted to the custom games list on creation and enabliing someone to enter the game uninvited.

If Blizzard is reading this - please add an option to create a private lobby for solo players and those who just want to play with friends on an invite-only basis. Either make it a separate option when creating a custom game or start every lobby as private and have a button to open it.

2) Anyone else noticed that the beta UI has no "Custom Campaign" section? Can anyone confirm that the campaign editor is even in the Beta WE?

I sure hope that the custom campaign option is hidden somwhere in the currently disabled campaign menu, because if they removed/disabled custom campaigns in Reforged then to me that's even bigger issue than the great cutscene removal of 2019.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'm just going to drop this here:
The backgrounds can't be properly seen because of all that text getting in the way plus that huge annoying panel on the left.
It still looks weird, animated images instead of 3D rendered pieces.
Why does Arthas have glowing eyes? The character doesn't have the helm yet...
2) Anyone else noticed that the beta UI has no "Custom Campaign" section? Can anyone confirm that the campaign editor is even in the Beta WE?
If we won't have a custom campaign section as StarCraft II doesn't, then it's good bye Reforged. I'm pretty sure they're not insane to remove it and only leave Custom Games (AKA StarCraft II Arcade).

Level 2
Hi all, a few questions:

1) Is anyone else having issues with repeating sound? I have a trigger that creates a special effect at a point (thunder clap) and then destroys the special effect to remove the memory leak. The animation works well, but the thunderclap sound plays 3 additional times.

As another example, I have a periodic trigger that fires every 0.5 seconds that places a special effect, chain lightning, on a target. (I forget how it's labeled in the editor. Maybe Chain Lightning <Target>). The animation plays correctly, but the sound for the effect plays three times. Another periodic trigger spawns units on the map every 30 seconds or so using the revive special effect. Again, the sounds plays 3 additional times.

These happen for me only in beta, not in Classic.

2) How is everyone's general lag when casting custom spells? Some of the lag-free spells I cast in Classic give decent lag spikes in Beta.

3) Are projectiles scaling properly for you? I have some boss-like units in a map that are scaled up (e.g., a hydra) but the projectile missile itself is still small.

4) How do you open the beta World Editor? I click on it and it prompts me to sign into battle net. I sign in, and nothing happens thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.