• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

JASS Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
178091-albums2336-picture63678.png

Introducing the JASS Class. A chance for you to learn JASS (and vJASS), or augment your skills!
Enroll now!

The curriculum is split into 10 weeks, and there will be 1 session per week in which
an instructor will provide materials and brief explanations, answer questions and give assignments for the coming week.

The class has a maximum capacity of 15 students. This is to ensure that the instructor will have time for
every student.

Note: Registration will be on a first come, first served basis.

If you are not enrolled, you can still participate in the classes and follow the curriculum as an observer.
The only difference is that only enrolled students get their assignments officially graded and criticized.
You may still be able to get your assignment critized if you post it publicly.

ObserverEnrolled Student
Access to Content
162098-albums5402-picture63839.png
Access to Assignments
Official Assignment Grading
162098-albums5402-picture63840.png

Requirements
  • We expect you to be aware of the basic principles of triggers. This includes:
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
    • Variables
    We don't expect you to be a master at this, but merely understand the concepts around it.
  • You need to be able to understand and write English.
  • You must generally be behaved on this site. No trolls, spammers.

Enroll
Reply to this thread to show your interest in enrolling in the class.

Deadline
This thread will close on the 20th of December.

~Magtheridon96

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I will enroll! I have only been trigger and script moderator for many years and am one of the most prominent people who know JASS at the moment...

You shoud probably add some kind of "anti-troll" entry requirement to prevent people wasting your time. Such as you need to not know JASS already.

Level 4
I would like to observe (assuming you don't have a strict limit on observers)...I would enroll, but I would rather not make a commitment because if I get super busy during the course and decide to "drop out" I don't want to have taken a slot that someone else could have used.

As for getting the observers' assignments graded, it could be a good extension for the students to try to "grade it" after they receive their grade (they could work as a team to offer suggestsions, etc.), or something along those lines (but I am sure you have thought of that already).

When does the first session start anyway?

Anachron said:
Like some creepy LUA stuff or module playground?

Lua is not covered.
You are totally not going to need it.

chaoslord301 said:
When does the first session start anyway?

In approximately one week.

-----------
Wow guys! I didn't know this thing is going to be so popular!

Level 14
I want to enroll myself as a student :)
I really want to refine my skills.

Wow guys! I didn't know this thing is going to be so popular!

Ofcourse! A lot of people want to learn Jass and vJass :D
And I think the community will profit a lot from these lessons. It's great! I can't wait.

One question: how long will these sessions take and at what time?
I'm quite bussy on my schedules unfortunately, apparently a lot of people expect me to do a lot of things :(
I'm burrying myself with work here >.<

Level 14
They will take place once per week for 10 weeks starting from ~20th December (more or less by 1 day).

Students will have 1 week to work with the material given for each week before we I introduce new material.

So each thursday starting from next thursday this or a other thread will be updated with new material I suppose?

And we can contact our teachers through the thread, PM's or..?

Level 14
This is going to be epic :goblin_good_job:
I'm really excited to get started.

EDIT: are we allowed to help each other with our homework ^.^? This is a modding community after all?

Level 14
What would be the point in that? :O

None, but if some of your fellow students have a problem (and I'm sure problems will arise). Then are we allowed to help each other out?
I mean... It's nice to learn from other students too. Hell, in my application developer education we didn't even learn much from our teachers (they where not that good in explaining things).
We learned more from each other :/ (I'm not trying to imply anything here, I know our teachers will be very skilled and knowledgeable :D)

Also, nice to see Ralle spark a new interest in WC3 modding.
I completely agree.

Level 1
Hi! I've been checking the site on a regular basis in search of a new decent ORPG and everyday I close my browser in disappointment. This is something i would really look forward to and would REALLY appreciate it... I occasionally attempt to cr3ate my own ORPG or another type of map, but i end up disbanding the "project" because lack of skills (i know right). Young grasshoppa wishes to learn the art of JASS. I'd like to enroll.

Level 14
If 15 are to be picked, I suppose we have 15 already.

1. Ralle
  2. OffGraphic
  3. bowser499
  4. Dr Super Good
  5. xorkatoss
  6. ABM
  7. razor21
  8. David
  9. DarkBro
  10. hrky
  11. WerBackIII
  12. GhostHunter123
  13. PureConMayo
  14. Kam
  15. Chaosy

the list is subject to change.

No way, I posted as number 16 :(
I really hope the list does change.
(Not that I want to take over someone elses place as a student. I feel like we all deserve a chance to learn. If it will stay like this then so be it. I can live with that. I'll just be an observer in that case.)

Last edited:
Level 22
Okay, not to make a totally douchebag comment, but why wouldn't you spend this time to learn something useful, like HTML, Java, or C#...

Jass has no practical applications outside of WC3, aside from the little knowledge you will gain about coding in general.

Level 10
Okay, not to make a totally douchebag comment, but why wouldn't you spend this time to learn something useful, like HTML, Java, or C#...

Jass has no practical applications outside of WC3, aside from the little knowledge you will gain about coding in general.

For fun, silly. The same reason we spend our free time making levels and resources for WarCraft III instead of other engines in the first place.

Looks like I was too late to get in on this as a student, but personally I'm thrilled just to be able to be an observer. Definitely says something about the demand for something like this, that it filled up just a few hours after it went live.

Status
Not open for further replies.