• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Uh, and what exactly is there to teach ? Terraining is not a knowledge.
People could be taught the tools at max, such as the purpose of pg up/pg down pitch angles and such plus some tricks that make things efficiently but that is already covered in the guides.
That is all there is to it, "teaching" people to make things not float and group things in clusters instead of spamming everything everywhere is not teaching, those things are more a matter of common sense.
If the person can't tell his creation is ugly the effort is instantly a lost cause.

It is like trying to teach people how to build with lego bricks.

Pretty sure we only need Ralle's permission for it to be official.

There's nothing in the rules saying we're not allowed to teach people how to do things.

Anyway, yeah, I'l record a little video footage of some terrain I've made. My best work is gone, though, hard drive got fried. Only stuff I have now is the recent, incomplete stuff, but you can still at least be able to see that I know what I'm doing.

Level 30
Terrain looks good tho there are some flaws such as:

• Terrain is empty
  • Some tiles have weird way of blending with the tile or in another words, tiles doesnt blend that great with other tiles.
  • Water from waterfall should not flow directly into the ground. Put a water where it can land.
  • Looks flat maybe it can still raised and lowered

Sorry for this but I am just explaining the flaw hope you are not offended or anything. But not to worry because its just a WiP! Cheers :cgrin:

Level 29
@Talavaj

Creativity, I have in terraining but application is what I'm missing, how can I get it out of my brain and do it in WC3 Editor?,
it's like you're imagining a very lovely woman and you want to draw her, but your hands cannot, therefore you must learn how to draw...

How to do this?, make a basic terrain then teach them how to improve and make it super awesome...the be a judge...

Level 20
^ There's a basic technique; well this is what I do: start with a completely small terrain (64x64), use the raise tool randomly around the map really, really fast, then once I have a completely deformed surface, I start to smooth it up, put in the tilesets, then some doodads. If I like what I see, I expand the map even further.

Terrain looks good tho there are some flaws such as:

• Terrain is empty
  • Some tiles have weird way of blending with the tile or in another words, tiles doesnt blend that great with other tiles.
  • Water from waterfall should not flow directly into the ground. Put a water where it can land.
  • Looks flat maybe it can still raised and lowered
Sorry for this but I am just explaining the flaw hope you are not offended or anything. But not to worry because its just a WiP! Cheers :cgrin:

The terrain was nowhere near complete; this wasn't meant to show off my abilities. It was just so you could get a basic idea of some of what I do.

And about the waterfall:

1: The water didn't go straight into the ground. All of the waterfalls I'd shown you traveled into another body of water.

2: Water actually CAN go directly into the ground. There are lots of caves with waterfalls going through them because despite what you say, it's actually possible for a waterfall to go straight into the ground.

Last edited:
Level 30
The terrain was nowhere near complete; this wasn't meant to show off my abilities. It was just so you could get a basic idea of some of what I do.

And about the waterfall:

1: The water didn't go straight into the ground. ALl of the waterfalls I'd shown you traveled into another body of water.

2: Water actually CAN go directly into the ground. There are lots of caves with waterfalls going through them because despite what you say, it's actually possible for a waterfall to go straight into the ground.

Didnt know that and that is a good point.

^ There's a basic technique; well this is what I do: start with a completely small terrain (64x64), use the raise tool randomly around the map really, really fast, then once I have a completely deformed surface, I start to smooth it up, put in the tilesets, then some doodads. If I like what I see, I expand the map even further.

That's similar to what I do, but I always start with the maximum size, and then just shrink it down later. If you start small, and hit a boundary, it will look very awkward and difficult to repair after you try to expand it to a larger size.

Level 20
We're posting terrains anyway so... I thought I'd let you guys know what I'm capable of:

The ruins of a once great city has been now overgrown with shrubs and forestry
2013-05-31%2023_11_30-Warcraft%20III%20World%20Editor%20-%20%5BC__Users_Lenin_Desktop_Master%20Terrain.jpg

Level 29
Ok, ok calm down guys, TLI-Inferno's terrain was not bad, he said it's no whre near complete, now about starting point,
I always start with deep water then just raise it...the problem would be 'decorations' like rocks, shrubs, grass, flowers, etc...
where's is the best place to put those?, that's the kind of stuffs I wanna learn...

MasterTrainer's pic is good but the land is flat...

In any case we should wait until further notice about this idea...

Level 20
It's my technique I just told you earlier.

But in this case, instead of the raise tool I started immediately with the doodads.

Level 14
Can I assist with something in those lessons? Altho all basic and most advanced techniques are already implemented as tutorials... I can offer my asistance when it comes to playable terrains.

Here are some samples from the last few months and years.

114462d1337020498-estate-yet-another-single-player-survival-map-wc3scrnshot_052812_093947_02.jpg

114463d1337020498-estate-yet-another-single-player-survival-map-wc3scrnshot_052812_094810_03.jpg

114464d1337020498-estate-yet-another-single-player-survival-map-wc3scrnshot_052812_094905_04.jpg

33wmstw.jpg

116100d1343243262-playable-terrain-wc3scrnshot_063012_192130_01.jpg

116099d1343243032-playable-terrain-wc3scrnshot_063012_192901_09.jpg

116098d1343243032-playable-terrain-wc3scrnshot_063012_192300_05.jpg

116096d1343243032-playable-terrain-wc3scrnshot_063012_192424_07.jpg

116095d1343243032-playable-terrain-wc3scrnshot_063012_192236_04.jpg

124754d1366869425-my-new-wips-temple.jpg

Level 14
I believe that we need to create applications.
First of all we will need people to moderate the applications.
If someone wants to apply as a teacher he must create a decent terrain and show it here.
And if someone wants to apply as a student he must create the best terrain he is cappable to make in order to give us his current state of his terraining knowledge.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Holy shit guys. Why don't we just say that this thread is now a terrain class in itself?

Why does this need to be official for you guys to start teaching each others how to terrain? The terrain forum is not very active, so why not just start there and make a Terrain Class thread. Name how things will be run and post content. You don't need me to approve a thing. If this gets big, we can make arrangements in regards to forums and what not.

Level 34
I don't really understand what this whole teaching thing is about. How does someone teach you terrain over the internet? Seems like tutorials and videos would be the best, which we have.

If you want to get better at terrain, start terraining and post your photos on the terrain forum. I'm active again (for a time), and can help you guys out.

I'll give you three major rules.
1. Study the best terrains. What do they do differently than you.
2. Find the right angle. With terrain art, it's all about the angle. If this is a playable terrain, angle still helps if you're taking pictures, but is less important.
3. This is most important. SPEND TIME. If you look at fladdermasken's terrains, how long do you think they take? A few hours? A few days? A week? I'd hazard a guess that it varies, but generally I would say around 5 hours minimum. Often more.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Fladdered that you want me for it, but Gilles pretty much nailed it. A major factor I see people fail at constantly is way too little effort put into it. Never terrain average joe, terrain extraordinary joseph. The difference between try and triumph is just that tiny little umph!

You could start weekly challenges again too, that's not a bad idea. I could do the themes and maybe judge a bit half heartedly.

EDIT: If I remember it I could try and record myself doing some simple scene to show how lighting pretty much makes all the difference.
Maybe for the first challenge.

Learning to terrain just comes down to motivation. I did it on my own, but some people need guidance, and the encouragement of active interaction with a teacher as well as other students will often help them to keep trying until they've got it down.

Anyway, I suppose since I'm the teacher, I'll organize a "lesson plan" or something, later.

Anyone else who wants to help teach, just send me a message. I'll give it time, one week, for other teachers to volunteer

One week from now I'll make a new thread which I will link to from here, and that thread will be open for another week while the teachers set up their plans and students sign up for taking the classes. After that week, from that thread, it will link to a new thread in the terraining section where the actual classes will begin. That thread will also link to a communication thread where students can ask questions. Why the different threads? Well, I want to keep things separated so that students can find all of the information in one place without having to sift through communications.

Fladdered that you want me for it, but Gilles pretty much nailed it. A major factor I see people fail at constantly is way too little effort put into it. Never terrain average joe, terrain extraordinary joseph. The difference between try and triumph is just that tiny little umph!

You could start weekly challenges again too, that's not a bad idea. I could do the themes and maybe judge a bit half heartedly.

EDIT: If I remember it I could try and record myself doing some simple scene to show how lighting pretty much makes all the difference.
Maybe for the first challenge.

Alrighty, I hope you'll teach your stuff! But lighting shouldn't be in the beginning; lighting belongs closer to the end.

Once you decide for sure that you'll be there to teach, I'll have you down as confirmed.

Confirmed Teachers:

TLI-Inferno
Lordkoon
Footman16

Possible Teachers:

fladdermasken

Last edited:
Level 29
I did it on my own, but some people need guidance
That's the whole purpose of this thread, to teach what are the dos and donts to terrain making...

@Gilles
The problem is challenge and motivation, there is no challenge if we just do it on our own, e.g. can you imagine if this site has only 5 active members?...
Yes there are a terraining contest but we are not allowed to ask questions on how to make it more awesome in that thread,
in short we are alone in making that, also the deadline is quite long, while in threads like this, we can reply our suggestions almost everyday...

Lordkoon and fladdermasken maybe a teacher also...

Level 20
Shit I leave the thread for 5 hours and this is what happens. By reading pages 5-6, I picked up that this thread is now officially the terrain class. If so, who are the faculty members?

Okay, it took me a while because I had to do some triggering but I was finally able to finish the ruins:

2013-06-01%2020_05_41-Warcraft%20III%20World%20Editor%20-%20%5BC__Users_Lenin_Desktop_Master%20Terrain.jpg

I added more trees, flowers, shrubs, and added some destroyed houses

Last edited:
Shit I leave the thread for 5 hours and this is what happens. By reading pages 5-6, I picked up that this thread is now officially the terrain class. If so, who are the faculty members?

Okay, it took me a while because I had to do some triggering but I was finally able to finish the ruins:

2013-06-01%2020_05_41-Warcraft%20III%20World%20Editor%20-%20%5BC__Users_Lenin_Desktop_Master%20Terrain.jpg

I added more trees, flowers, shrubs, and added some destroyed houses

Still needs height variation.

Level 20
Ok now guys, here's my terrain made a long time ago, any suggestions and improvements?...
attachment.php

-Raise the area on the top of the falls
-See the part of the cliff that is showing between the falling water? Remove that and replace it with rocks
-Remove the rocks that are in the lake and replace them with some river rushes, lily pads, and seaweeds.
-You may want to add some fog
-Add more life (i.e. birds, deer, frogs, fish)

That's it for now.

Oh and this is what I meant by my second suggestion:

I made this for my project:
Elven%20Village%208.jpg

Level 30
see? that's what teachers are here for, giving tips...but what kind of decor and maybe the waterfall is flat you mean?...

It needs more doodads on seas such as maybe corals.... Also make those ponds a little bigger also.

And as what MT said, add birds, deers and animals as such to add life to the terrain.

Make the tiles smooth to make it blend well on. Just try re ordering tiles in Modifying Tileset and it will do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.