• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sign-Up Thread for Terrain Teaching Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, after a bit of discussing, I've decided that I will actively teach any willing students how to create terrain.

The training will include but not be limited to:

Mountains, forests, rivers, rapids, waterfalls, buildings, interiors, caves, tundra, demonic, and many more sorts of environments!

I will be preparing videos for each lesson which show me using and explaining techniques to create terrain. I will also include textual descriptions for those who learn better from reading. In addition, students can speak with me in chat and communicate through posts on the forums. Students will use the information learned from the videos to create their own terrain which I will examine and grade according to how well they executed the techniques shown during the lesson (and not based on quality from things not yet covered).

The classes will start from the very beginning and proceed towards beauty with no prior terraining experience required! Everything I do in the process of making the example terrain will be explained.

The classes will start on the Terrain Board this friday, and I will link to them from here.

Confirmed Teachers:
TLI-Inferno (Main Teacher)
Lordkoon (Environmental Effects Teacher)
Footman16 (Blizzard-Style Terrain Teacher)
Kithraya (Showcase Terrain Expert)

Students:
mckill2009
Hell_Master
MasterTrainer
Doomlord
Daffa the Mage
DESTROYER123
bethmachine
Xonok
Stryderzero
Hera_
DivideByZero
Stare Cat
Xian_1998
Chaosy
MaTiJa97
Zyne
DeathChef
Pronto
Darkshooter1986

As for now, if you haven't already signed up and want to take classes, sign up below! (If you don't sign up before classes start, you can still sign up late, just send me a private message and I can help you catch up!)

Last edited:
...so whats the difference between observers and students?

Honestly? The only difference is how you decide to learn. You could just read the thread and watch the videos as an observer, or you could do the scheduled assignments, ask questions, and participate in chats.

With out sonofjay this is not good enough :)

You don't need a famous person to teach for people to be able to learn.

Me! Me! Take me!
Okay, count me in.

You're both in!

Level 14
Just a side note:
I will not be just teaching about enviromental effects but help people master one of the most important processes in making a terrain - thoughts and ideas properly implemented.

Also I am not sure I will be able to make them on a video due to my limited time and hard drives. As I am also doing a campaign and going to judge the mini-mapping contest that is currently finishing. So my 'lessons' will start after TLI and the other teacher's. After all the basics must be explained first, and I am not the best person for this.

Just a side note:
I will not be just teaching about enviromental effects but help people master one of the most important processes in making a terrain - thoughts and ideas properly implemented.

Also I am not sure I will be able to make them on a video due to my limited time and hard drives. As I am also doing a campaign and going to judge the mini-mapping contest that is currently finishing. So my 'lessons' will start after TLI and the other teacher's. After all the basics must be explained first, and I am not the best person for this.

By environmental effects, I didn't just mean SFX. I meant things like sounds, and triggered animation such as what you'd mentioned that you wanted to teach before.

As far as teaching people to implement their ideas goes, that's really something they teach themselves throughout the course while they learn other things; all they need is the motivation to do it.

I hope you will find the time to prepare lessons. When you have your lessons prepared, send them to me and I will do my best to make a video appropriate to them before posting your lesson at the point in which it would best fit into the class.

Level 14
By environmental effects, I didn't just mean SFX. I meant things like sounds, and triggered animation such as what you'd mentioned that you wanted to teach before.

As far as teaching people to implement their ideas goes, that's really something they teach themselves throughout the course while they learn other things; all they need is the motivation to do it.

Let's agree to disagree.
I will explain my lessons and ideas when I finish the small presentation with my thoughts about it.

As far as videos go, I will try to do something about it but usually my frame goes down quite a bit when recording and they will be really laggy and jittering if done at all. I do however promise to make my lessons more or less like the tutorials while also giving assignments for the willing to do them.

As far as rewards and stimulation goes I did offer this to Ralle and he agreed if a serious group of people gathers :

If a class is split into 5 lessons, for example:
L1 - 1 point and 5 rep for anyone who gets his project (like a homework to show what they learned)
L2 - 1 more point ,5 more rep
L3 - 2 points (hard project)
L4 - 1 point , 5 rep
L5 - 2 points (hard final project)
(rep will be given by teachers and the numbers are just examplary)

Contest: People with at least 5 points can enter a contest that will make us see how much of their project's information they put into one final terrain so we can know if the 'teaching' was worth the time. A side note: that does not mean you can skip a lesson or two because you need 5 out of 7 points. It is just incase you don't get a point in a certain lesson due to forcemajor circumstances or just don't do well with the appointed project.
The contest winner would be awarded an award icon and 20 rep; 10 and 5 for 2nd and 3rd places

Last edited:
I like Lordkoon's system ^^

All depends on Ralle. This isn't official right now, and we don't have the power to give people those kinds of rewards.

Anyway, I want this to be more of a passive learning experience where even the students are eager to help each other and share what they know. If I turn this into a contest with high-stakes rewards, people will start trying to keep things to themselves to make sure they're the one that wins.

TLI-Inferno, exactly you can make your work easier by using poll :ogre_hurrhurr:

This isn't a contest, it's a class. I'll judge everything myself. When everything is done, I'll see about rewards, polls, contests and such, but in the meantime this is about learning and I don't want to give anyone any reason to separate themselves. Hiveworkshop already has terrain contests every now and then, so if you're looking for that sort of thing, you can just sign up. But this here is for learning.

Level 14
All depends on Ralle. This isn't official right now, and we don't have the power to give people those kinds of rewards.

Anyway, I want this to be more of a passive learning experience where even the students are eager to help each other and share what they know. If I turn this into a contest with high-stakes rewards, people will start trying to keep things to themselves to make sure they're the one that wins.

This isn't a contest, it's a class. I'll judge everything myself. When everything is done, I'll see about rewards, polls, contests and such, but in the meantime this is about learning and I don't want to give anyone any reason to separate themselves. Hiveworkshop already has terrain contests every now and then, so if you're looking for that sort of thing, you can just sign up. But this here is for learning.

Hello, maybe it's just me but we are 3 'teachers' confirmed to work over this project. I do feel like we have an equal share of saying about the what-s and the how-s.
I do intend to stimulate my class with rewards of some sort, and as Ralle told me - if it turns out to be serious like the Jass classes he will make a 'Certified terrainer' badge/icon/w.e. to those who participate and are willing to learn and put a hard work on it.

Just a side note:

Hello, maybe it's just me but we are 3 'teachers' confirmed to work over this project. I do feel like we have an equal share of saying about the what-s and the how-s.
I do intend to stimulate my class with rewards of some sort, and as Ralle told me - if it turns out to be serious like the Jass classes he will make a 'Certified terrainer' badge/icon/w.e. to those who participate and are willing to learn and put a hard work on it.

You told me before that you weren't going to be teaching until afterwards, so that would make us separate, with me teaching my lessons and then you teaching yours. If you want to mix your lessons in with mine that's perfectly fine, just send me them when you've prepared them and I'll put them in the most appropriate order with the other lessons (don't want to teach people how to run before they walk).

And, sure, if you want to turn this into a contest for rewards, your lessons can certainly be oriented that way, I was merely stating previously that my lessons will not be.

I'm sorry, but a relative is in the hospital and I will be giving him the laptop so that he has something to do. I made this video quickly for you guys to have something to do on friday, I just finished uploading it. I'm sorry that there is no text tutorial, I don't have the time to type one up, I was going to do that tomorrow.

I promise you that the future lessons will be better than this, but this is all I have for you for now:

Warcraft 3 Terraining Class

Watch the video there and try your terrain, ask questions, send me your maps, I will help you as soon as he's out of the hospital and I have the laptop back.

Hur I totally durped out in my rush and didn't see this new thread.
Anyway I believe that it would be fine to quote myself here as well.
Hmm. You know what I would like to enroll as a teacher and a student. I already have great terraining skills, although I would also like to test if the teachers are doing things right(giving criticism), off-course with the off-chance of me learning something from this. But yeh I would be accepting any criticism like a normal student would.

Although as a teacher I would only play as a side teacher(Probably not going to put a great deal of time into it as an actual teacher should). I am more of a terrainer that would make playable terrains.

Here are my most recent released works(maps).
1: Conquering Vendula; Boss Fight
2: Fountain Isles; melee

Level 10
why people always misunderstand what I say :goblin_cry:
@ TLI-Inferno, I meant use the poll and the people those who want to join the class just vote Yes, I would like to join Terrain Class so you don't need to keep editting the student list when new member joined :ogre_hurrhurr: You want to use it or not is up to you cuz you're the chief here :ogre_datass:

why people always misunderstand what I say :goblin_cry:
@ TLI-Inferno, I meant use the poll and the people those who want to join the class just vote Yes, I would like to join Terrain Class so you don't need to keep editting the student list when new member joined :ogre_hurrhurr: You want to use it or not is up to you cuz you're the chief here :ogre_datass:

Well, the thing is that they can join as an observer at any time, but to become an enrolled student they would have to catch up on what they missed, now that classes have started, before they could become a student. I of course will help people catch up on things they missed.

Level 36
While I fear the base of knowledge might not be entirely preferable up there on the panel,
I still do like the idea of organizing a terrain movement, it even nearly makes me want to start terraining again.

Keep terraining alive!

To everyone still posting here, scroll up until you see a post by me with a link to a "Warcraft 3 Terraining Class", click that link, there's the class. I don't have my laptop right now, so I can't make videos, open maps, open multiple tabs, or any of that sort of thing; just using the internet explorer browser on my xbox to post. But, still, I did make one video before I lended my laptop, and I can still post advice and such to help teach you. I expect my uncle to be out of the hospital on monday; only a few more days until I get the laptop back, and then I'll start making more videos for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.