• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hmm. I kinda wanted to join this Terrain Class but, I'm not yet sure if this would work out.. And I'm not that fond of using the editor. YET. 'Coz I write stuff. If this would turn out to be a successful, I wouldn't mind giving enough effort to learn from you guys.

Count me in as a student.

And thanks for feedback everyone.
Also thanks for your good feedback TLI-Inferno however the house was made by smaller parts (thanks Stryderzero).

Really? You did such a good job on that house that it looked like one model!

Is these thread the official Terrain Classes thread? Or will you guys create another one in the terrain board forum?

I'm gonna create a new one, and it will be linked to from here. Right now I'm giving teachers time to sign up. Then starting friday, us teachers will organize the order in which we want to teach things, and students will sign up. Then the friday after that, classes will start.

You want me to teach you some techniques? :>

Send me a PM telling me what you'd like to teach with some examples of you using those techniques and I'll let you know if I can fit you in with the plan.

Try to plan on less-known techniques, possibly unique tricks; things that only you as an individual can contribute.

Level 4
Hah.. I forgot that not everyone remembers my old terrains. ^^

Terrain was the first thing I "mastered" in Wc3. I Gladly would like to share my tricks with others. In particular, the creation of interiors.
Overall, I am in favor in playable terrains.

Sadly, that's all what remains of my old terrain topics on hive:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/new-screensahots-98846/

From here you can also take advantage of something interesting. Especially techniques of bulging important tillset texture. (Screen with road sign).

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/surrounded-184640/

EDIT: Some old works from hard drive:

untitlxdq.jpg

fw4u.jpg

fw1h.jpg
(Now I remember, how I was using scaled dead tree variations as grass. :D)

In my map from 2008, using only this one model: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/table-49651/?prev=search=table&d=list&r=20 I created such structures:

lhrs.jpg

lold.jpg

Last edited:
Level 4
I would really love to learn about terraining the interior of multiple structures :3

I'm going to focus more on that in this class.

That's what the real man's man are doing. :D

List updated, including teachers and the great Kithraya for his tips but Im not sure if he's joining...

She* is. :)

Last edited:
To be honest, interior structures are easier to do once you get the hang of doodads. When I first started terraining I was impressed with myself because of how cool my structures looked, until I realized that was the easy part, it took more practice for me to get good at outdoor terrain. Indoor terrain is what usually impresses viewers the most, as it's not something you often see done well on Warcraft III with the normal palette being poor for it, but in the end, playable outdoor terrain is what most of these people will need for their maps. I do love the way your stuff looks, though.

Anyway, it looks like most of your terrain is showcase terrain designed for viewing at specific angles. You can teach that sort of thing as a separate course, sort of a "bonus" for people who are into that sort of thing with screenshot art. It can be on the same thread, just separate assignments.

@Teachers Hey would the students get some kind of reward when they do a good job in particular assignments?

Sure, I'll think of something. Don't get your hopes up for a Ferrari, though.

Oh I see. Understood.

Only a few days to go before classes start :3 (3 days in GMT + 10.00)

Actually, classes were going to start the friday after next, with the signup thread being created this coming friday. I wanted to give people who haven't heard about the classes a chance to sign up first.

But you know what, since so many people's breaks start this weekend, I've decided to start classes this friday allowing those people to take advantage of their break from real life classes to take online classes, and I will do my lessons in a way that will allow people who aren't there when it starts a way to catch up.

So classes will be starting this friday instead of next friday!

I've looked through the thread, and I think I got everyone who wanted to sign up, but just in case, check out here to sign up if your name isn't on the list! And fladder, you still didn't confirm that you wanted to teach yet! If you're going to, please do it before friday!

Starting friday, this thread and the one I linked to will both link to a new thread which will contain the lessons!

Just a question:
Who is the school principal (if exists)?

Just another Warc.. question:
Who are all the teachers?

:)

Since this takes place on Hiveworkshop, disciplinary authorities are the same administrators and moderators as they have always been.

The teachers are listed on the page where I linked to in my post right above yours.

You forgot me in the student list. Just in case enrolling.

You were already on the list, check again.

And to everyone, I'm sorry, I have some bad news.

I'm sorry, but a relative is in the hospital and I will be giving him the laptop so that he has something to do. I made this video quickly for you guys to have something to do on friday, I just finished uploading it. I'm sorry that there is no text tutorial, I don't have the time to type one up, I was going to do that tomorrow.

I promise you that the future lessons will be better than this, but this is all I have for you for now:

Warcraft 3 Terraining Class

Watch the video there and try your terrain, ask questions, send me your maps, I will help you as soon as he's out of the hospital and I have the laptop back.

Last edited:
Hmm. You know what I would like to enroll as a teacher and a student. I already have great terraining skills, although I would also like to test if the teachers are doing things right(giving criticism), off-course with the off-chance of me learning something from this. But yeh I would be accepting any criticism like a normal student would.

Although as a teacher I would only play as a side teacher(Probably not going to put a great deal of time into it as an actual teacher should). I am more of a terrainer that would make playable terrains.

Here are my most recent released works(maps).
1: Conquering Vendula; Boss Fight
2: Fountain Isles; melee

Level 3
We can never stop learning even if we are good at what we do, I will like to enrol as a student, am not saying that i am good. I just want to know better. So I will like to be a student, please enrol me :vw_sad::goblin_jawdrop:

Status
Not open for further replies.