• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jass Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
full

Hello Everyone!

Today we want to introduce our new JASS Class sub forum, which you can find in the Trigger & Scripts forum.
The class is about getting more in touch with JASS scripting, and provides missions and guides to hone your skills.
The already provided missions are just the start, and the idea is that potentially everyone may submit new class content.

We currently also have one crash course, which will ensure your basic knowledge, and will explain some required and very important topics, and one guide, that can be used as primary reference in need of help.

Lastly there's to mention that students who can solve every mission, will receive the JASS Class award.
There's no time restriction, and no sign-up, so you can start and do what ever mission you want at any time.
If you're interested in learning, or want to submit new content, it's definitely worth to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
Looks more like sharpening triggering skills for me. Anywhere, would like to ask some questions though.

1. Only jass is allowed to be used?
2. Anyone can provide missions to the others for practice as well?
3. Crash Course (I don't know why you named it as crash course?) doesn't look friendly enough, like lacking function define ?

And finally, congratulation for creating JASS class.

It's too verbose starting from total zero, and I would lose too much time for almost no win I believe. Instead, I link to basic JASS tutorials and other links that introduce in such topics, and expect some minmum of knowledge already how things work.
Only jass is allowed to be used?
GUI is not allowed, but if you would like you can use vJASS, too. I will mention it.

Anyone can provide missions to the others for practice as well?
Last word, here ReadMe
Basicly yes, but I would want to ensure it follows some pattern and is hold general and useful enough. But I'm happy if there comes more content by time.

doesn't look friendly enough, like lacking function define ?
Specificly about "functions" I also thought myself a good time, but decided to require it implicitly with the linked tutorials.
If you have something good that is not too verbose we might discuss it, though, to add a new chapter, there. I've troubled to make something short, without going to deep into very basics which they should know already anyways.

At the moment it's really not meant to spoon-feed one, but asks students to do searches and some things on their own, too. With time we might change into one or other direction, maybe. ^^

And finally, congratulation for creating JASS class.
Thanks!

Level 11
It's too verbose starting from total zero, and I would lose too much time for almost no win I believe. Instead, I link to basic JASS tutorials and other links that introduce in such topics, and expect some minmum of knowledge already how things work.
Sounds fine to me. It is true that if start from zero will consume considerable time for people to pick up the basic knowledge.

GUI is not allowed, but if you would like you can use vJASS, too. I will mention it.
Then it might become JASS/vJASS class.

Basicly yes, but I would want to ensure it follows some pattern and is hold general and useful enough. But I'm happy if there comes more content by time.
About "pattern", is like the missions pattern that you provided? With clearly separated preparation and parts.

Specificly about "functions" I also thought myself a good time, but decided to require it implicitly with the linked tutorials.
If you have something good that is not too verbose we might discuss it, though, to add a new chapter, there. I've troubled to make something short, without going to deep into very basics which they should know already anyways.

At the moment it's really not meant to spoon-feed one, but asks students to do searches and some things on their own, too. With time we might change into one or other direction, maybe. ^^
All of the basics that you mentioned them in Crash Course could be found in the others tutorial too, isn't ? Maybe I'm just too nail picking about them ^^

And the thing i forgot to mention, is the completion of missions, required to have code in thread + map attached? Some of the missions look great for me, may join in :)

Then it might become JASS/vJASS class.
I initialy planned so, but I was convinced to do everything in plain JASS, so users don't require to learn other syntax, even it might be very helpful. The mission content is all do-able with using plain JASS syntax (and should stay like this for first time -- later we might maybe introduce a complete new mission thread for vjass missions).

About "pattern", is like the missions pattern that you provided? With clearly separated preparation and parts.
More or less, at least, yes; we should strive for similar structeres for mission content probably -- but if it looks well, it might also vary a bit, I guess.

And the thing i forgot to mention, is the completion of missions, required to have code in thread + map attached? Some of the missions look great for me, may join in :)
You must post your mission solution in a thread, yeh, and a good title and prefix is good, too, like "[Crash Course] Timers" or so.
All of the basics that you mentioned them in Crash Course could be found in the others tutorial too, isn't ? Maybe I'm just too nail picking about them ^^
Kind of true, I just tried to find some balance; it's nothing 100% static, though, we might improve with time, if suggestions are good. : )

Some missiones do not explicitly tell you how you should tackle it, and some others on purpose introduce a certain method, like hashtable, so that I can ensure this knowledge is known already for a further mission. It might be that in the next mission this hashtable binding should be known already, and then you have experienced it already, which becomes helpful. So sometimes it's forced to use a mentioned methodic.

Edit:

I would also encourage all to post a thread there with [Feedback] if there are topics that need to be discussed, or you find something weird, etc. : )

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Well in the case of the third mission I think it is kinda meh.

The only thing I need to save is the base of each player. One value.
So I suppose the idea is to SaveUnitHandle(hash, playerId, 0, myUnit)
But you might as well
bases[playerId] = myUnit

Which is easier and better since it does not take up a hashtable slot.

Or make a unit group with all base units (barracks) and then spawn a unit of the same owner.

With other words I think they should be suggestions not demands/requirements

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a real noob course in JASS. :)
Have you tried with the HelpMe, and the crash course? Posting complete solutions is not the only thing allowed, but asking for help/discussions, too (as long it's content related).
Though, just for general getting introduced into how to create a jass sheet, or how to find a function, such things should be outsourced from class into other tutorials or our HelpForums (WEHZ / Triggers & Scripts).

Within the JASS Class subforum, may I suggest having another child subforum for each lesson? This will encourage comparison of implementations + you can sticky good examples, etc.
My initial idea was indeed something similar, having seperate submission sub forum, and maybe discussion sub forum. And then all solved things would be seperated, for example. And the idea was, too, to make the solutions sub forum private, for those who already solved respective mission(s).
Though, we decided with admins not make too many forums for now, and start with only one forum to bind activity at first. If people are only semi active, then it's okay to have one semi active forum instead of multiple low-active forums. But we keep it in mind.

This is a great idea!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Level 21
As a pure GUI user so far, i was always curious about Jass (since thats the real deal in wc3).
I hope i can learn something here and stick with it.

Level 1
I would like to join the course :) even though i'm still a bit fail at triggering... hopefully I can learn more on Jass so I can implement them in my map or something.

I would like to start from basic :psmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.