• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

JASS classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Perhaps some of you have noticed this announcement in the JASS forum, but as very few people visit it, I will turn this into a global announcement. I am initiating a project that will help people on this forum to learn JASS from scratch, step by step, so that everyone can follow the different phases of learning, and be able to write advanced codes faster than by following a tutorial and then improvising.

So, what does this project actually consist of? From time to time, I will post a class (or lesson) in which I will explain certain aspects of the programming language. We will start from the basics and as lessons grow in number, the difficulty grows too. For each lesson you will receive a homework you may send me via PM (this means that you can improve your code by actually practicing and receiving feedback). After each homework, I may include a grading system too, but the goal is to actually learn something, and grades are to motivate you in doing so. You may also ask questions after a lesson, based on what you've already learned there, and you will receive your answer. Keep in mind that the process may take some time, but I assure you that it will be much more efficient than a classical tutorial.

What happens to those who miss classes? Well, they can read the lesson at any moment, ask questions in the specific thread, or send me their homework. However, the beauty of being in the initial generation that actually follows the course is that from time to time, I may start challenges based on what we've learned up to that point. Winners of the challenges will probably receive some kind of reward on their profile and reputation. I hope that many of you are interested and that this will prove a benefic action which will actually lead to production of better spells and codes for Warcraft 3.

So if anyone is interested, just post into this thread with an affirmative reply. If atleast 10 persons have an affirmative reply (and could actually benefit from this course), I will initiate this project. Keep in mind that you do not need any coding or programming knowledge to follow this course. It is a fresh start for all those willing to learn JASS (or become better coders).

~Daelin

Level 3
wow thats so gernous of u. im already a spell maker wit gui but i now jass is so more efecient. i cannot figure out how to use it, dont know how to use. but i do want to know how to use it. Count me in!

Level 24
I'm in. I would like to learn Jass. And don't worry ragingspeedhorn. I'll make sure that everyone hears about your grades :p

And a surgestion, to make sure that everyone knows when a lesson has been posted set up a usergroup or something of everyone in the course and then whenever a new course has been posted you send an email to everyone in that usergroup.

Level 11
Nice... already 5 votes. 5 more and I will start preparing the first class. Umm, HappyTauren, I think you misunderstood this stuff a bit. The "classes" will take place on the forum. I will post a thread, in which I write the whole stuff. They are more like a step-by-step tutorial, but unlike a classical tutorial, you learn stuff slowly, not all at once, because that way, it would be very confusing.

Hmm... Ok bob, I'll see what I can do about that. Organization is not a big problem as long as we have people interested in this.

Users interested (14/10) - Wohoo... Quota reached!
00m9
ragingspeedhorn
HappyTauren
Bob27
WILLTHEALMIGHTY
Godless
DeaD_MeN_WalkiN
Pyru
1)ark_NiTe
operator
crash300
Wolverabid
FMGSSOUL

~Daelin

Last edited:
Level 2
Hey, Daelin. I'm interested in learning JASS since recently I got back into mapmaking again for WC3 (although I never really went public) and much seems to have changed since RoC/Early TFT... so I would really appreciate it if you'd tutor me a bit. :p

Level 1
Hi, i know i'm new here but the idea of making classes to learn JASS would be great because learning it from some guides isnt that easy, tryed to do some spells but never worked...
Ty for doing that

Level 4
Count me in for the classes, I could use the knowledge for a few of my maps. (Just knowing how to remove point variables doesnt cut the mustard)

Level 11
Great... I'm adding you all to a special group so that you become a JASS student. Everyone can view the lessons but only students can post questions/replies or send me homework. I shall ignore any homework from non-students too. To become a student you can PM me with a request (I made the group public so you can also join that way but I don't know how to do this so if you do, please post here and tell me).

Ok guys... first class up. Go here and enjoy. I know this one may be a bit boring, but it is an introductory lesson.

~daelin

Level 3
Nice... already 5 votes. 5 more and I will start preparing the first class. Umm, HappyTauren, I think you misunderstood this stuff a bit. The "classes" will take place on the forum. I will post a thread, in which I write the whole stuff. They are more like a step-by-step tutorial, but unlike a classical tutorial, you learn stuff slowly, not all at once, because that way, it would be very confusing.

Hmm... Ok bob, I'll see what I can do about that. Organization is not a big problem as long as we have people interested in this.

Users interested (14/10) - Wohoo... Quota reached!
00m9
ragingspeedhorn
HappyTauren
Bob27
WILLTHEALMIGHTY
Godless
DeaD_MeN_WalkiN
Pyru
1)ark_NiTe
operator
crash300
Wolverabid
FMGSSOUL

~Daelin

u can tell i want to learn i was first to sign up. BUT ICANT FREKE NFIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT.

Level 5
I would like to join, too. I've been wanting to learn JASS, but never actually had the will to do so. I think this is way better structured then a tutorial anyways, and it's best for me to take advantage of it.

Level 1

Man, this is one of the best ideas yet from you Daelin. I will definitely participate in the classes if you decide to go through with it. I've been wanting to learn JASS so I can improve my mapping skills, but never had the chance. This could change soon.

Level 11
Sorry for not answering guys. My internet connection went down for 2 days. Sorry again about this. I'll soon add everyone to the group (who requested of course) and check the homework.

Urban(x)Turles, if you wish to join, leave me a PM with the request. Thanks!

~Daelin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.