• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jass Class

Should Hive have a JASS class again?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jass Class 2.0

images-jpg.261487

1. Introduction

We had a JASS class in past which is gone and inactive, and my idea is now to revive it.
JASS class is meant to learn using jass, and vjass tequniques to simplify your codes and to get generaly introduced in certain topics that are new to you.​

2. Concept

Concept is not sure yet, it will depend on interest and possibilities we have.
But the basic idea is to pass classes, learning jass tequniques, and to submit solutions to certain problems.

Probably multiple volunteer jass users would be something like "mentors" to manage jass classes, and keep things managed.

The team will provide new lessons, and validate / help user submissions.

3. Requirements

Jass NewGen Pack [Official] -you need access to JassHelper, so you can use vjass syntax.

4. Links

Basics

Some basic editor-, GUI-, and JASS knowledge is also very preferable, as you won't be explained here, how for example to create a new event in a trigger. For getting into basic knowledge you can read:
or ask questions here:
Work

For working you also may read the links above of course, but you may also need to google for some other examples like:

5. Last Word

So, you can open your editor and start working. Join Lesson 1! In case you mention issues or have improvements for a lesson, or you want to submit your own lesson example let me know via PM.​

Now guys, are enough of you interested in seeing such thing again on hive? Do you have any general input? There's nothing done yet, so no worries.

Last edited:
Level 19
Listen, I think it is a great idea. It would be sparking more creative users into creating new maps. However, most people suck at anything remotely similar to programming. I've taught java before and although with in 2 weeks you can teach someone enough that they are on this own feet, those who can't simply can't.

if you do plan on making a jass class there must be a cut off period where students who keep failing will be kicked from the group

Which will likely never happen, so as a result I vote nah. I will not support a group that will grow to collect a heap of failure to toil away pointlessly, wasting the time of management

Level 19
What do you mean "kick of group"? The idea is that when you are interested you try to solve certain lessons and submit or discuss them.
So the "students group" is technicaly just the set of guys who post submissions and do something there. Not sure why it's required to ban users that only partialy solve/submit something.
Kick users who keep failing.

You don't want the forum filled up with repeat students

Level 12
I think that's a really good idea, but it should be implemented with some care so it won't become a replica of the tutorial section or the trigger and script forum.

What you could do is a more interactive version of the Euler project, something like this:

1. A certain JASS problem is picked and solved by whoever manages the whole thing. Each time it will be in a different subject and have a different difficulty (but probably start with easier ones).
  2. The manager posts the problem in detail and gives a certain deadline to solve the problem. Optionally link to relevant tutorials.
  3. Users will only be able to post 2 things: 1. their solutions to the problem, 1.complete with annotated code and reasoning, 2. questions of practical nature (i.e. stuck in the middle of work because ...), these will also need to include the work so far.
  4. After the deadline to solve the problem expires, the manager will link to the best/most noteworthy ideas, and post his own solution to the problem (perhaps give reputation for noteworthy answers).
  5. After deadline expires the thread should be locked to avoid further comments.
That way, if done consistently over a period of time, the site will have a good archive of threads starting with a coding problem and ending with the best solutions.
In short this will be like a mini-challenge section with answers at the end of each thread.

The hard part will probably be managing participant input, so I suggest (again similarly to the challenge section) to have a "session manager" for each thread, making it a bit more ordered.

Thanks for your input.

That's a very good concept, indeed. I'm just not very sure that's what I intended, as it requires life-acitivity to ensure good and running classes, which can be very time consuming.
For example, when I want to make a lesson for "easy", I likely can't do other lessons for other students at same time. So instead, the idea is to work on a database with lessons with all different topics, which can be improved and changed of course, but are more or less static. And when the student come, they can choose which field they wanna practice, and then work and submit their stuff with their own effort. Mentors would manage the submissions, and/or a discussion forum/thread if people stuck or have problems.

But I will have your idea definitly in mind, as said it's all not clear, yet.

Last edited:
Level 19
I probably wanna scum through the more advanced lessons. Pretty much lost interest in wc3 so I wont spend much time on such things. For now at least.

Unless a vjass 2.0 comes around, cannot be arsed with the language when one is used to more flexible languages.
script-language cannot be flexible. all the flex vjass and the rest provides leads to heavy overheat in the simplest thing. jassing isn't a real programming, no matter how you try.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Debatable. Javascript is pretty flexible, you can write in a few different ways.

Eg, classes vs prototype (To be honest I am not even sure what it is called, but I know there is another way of using classes)
can use both either ' or "
arrow functions, anonymous functions, naming a function through a variable (let x = function(){})

Level 19
Debatable. Javascript is pretty flexible, you can write in a few different ways.

Eg, classes vs prototype (To be honest I am not even sure what it is called, but I know there is another way of using classes)
surely you can write js in multiple ways, thanks for 4x CPU's cores and stuff. but deep inside all of those big pile of overheat lying, thats why wheels getting re-invented with tons of various libararies

In case there are 1-2 testers who want to try testing the jass class you can post here or pm me - it could be helpful for me next days / or week.
Prefered are people who have touched a bit of warcraft coding already, do know basics of editor and usage of GUI, but who are not too advanced in jass of course.

I clicked the Lesson 1 link and it linked back to this thread.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I will probably never learn (v)JASS (*@Rising_Dusk rolling in his grave*), but after reading this:
if you do plan on making a jass class there must be a cut off period where students who keep failing will be kicked from the group

Which will likely never happen, so as a result I vote nah. I will not support a group that will grow to collect a heap of failure to toil away pointlessly, wasting the time of management
Kick users who keep failing.

You don't want the forum filled up with repeat students
I simply had to vote 'yes' to compensate. TheLordOfChaos, I should pray for your children; failure is a part of life & kicking those who do is incredibly counter-productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.