• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Beta Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77

The time has come... I would like for you to test something for me. I have refined the Hive 2 resource section system enough and would like some feedback. This does not mean that Hive 2 is finished, but a big part of it is (depending on the feedback I get). After finishing the resource system, I will still need to add all BB-Codes, the chat, award system, reputation system and import the site.

Resource System
Look in the forum category called "Repositories". I would like you to test the features: upload different types of resources, edit them, filter and search through them, rate and comment on them. Do this while ignoring the setup of repositories. Right now the repositories are set up in a way I thought was interesting. When doing the final import of the site each resource section will become a repository. Also, they are not necessarily going to appear as forums. The tags are also subject to change, just something I set up to to test with.
Something I would like you to comment on:
  • The repository display page only has a few filter options and no keyword search. If you plan on searching, go to "Search" -> "More..." -> "Search Bundles and Resources". This is where the advanced search options go.
  • When you first upload a resource, something else called a bundle is created. The bundle will contain your resource and you will have the ability to add more resources to the bundle.
Pastebin
Feel free to try out the pastebin and tell me what you think. I made it in a hurry but it covers all the same features as the old one. I am open for smoothing things out and adding more features.

Night Elf Theme
I have been working on the Night Elf theme with Archian and am pretty proud of it. If you ask Archian, it's not half done, but I think it's good enough to be plenty usable.

XenForo
I did not make the forum system. Anything that is not part of the resource system is a standard forum package known as XenForo. You can try this out here or at www.diplomunion.com and www.brigandshaven.net. It is everything I want. A modern forum system designed for developers to build on top of. vBulletin was always hard to work with in this regard and I have been so happy working with XenForo.

XenForo does not come with a reputation system out of the box. However, there is a reputation addon which I am going to install and improve upon before showing it to you. Hive 2 WILL HAVE REPUTATION but this beta site does not have reputation yet. Calm down.

If you run into any problems, please post them in this thread as I won't be scavenging the test site for useful information.

I have spent a long time making this and it means a lot to me. Therefore, I hope that you will approach this thread with respect and constructive criticism.

Remember, the site rules still apply on the beta site. Also, all content will be deleted when the test is over.

Enter Beta Site

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Will our user account be accessible and available in Hive 2?

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

I always liked Hive for not having the resource section like other websites I've seen. Maybe it's just me, but I'll always prefer the old one. Anyway, the rest looks pretty cool.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

I know, I've just seen resource sections like this on other websites and didn't like them. That's all I'm saying.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
I'm also very used to this vBulletine site. On the other hand I didn't knew it was a pain to work with. This site is well worked on over these years I guess.

About the beta site:
Also add models, spells, maps, jass, tools etc and so on at top like this site, I'm basically only using these useful shortcuts. That is one of important traits why I like this site better than all other modding sites. Each forum lacks an icon like this site have.

Nice to see the the night elf theme on the new beta site, although on this site has fully extrensive theme kinda give me the feel it fills all the gaps (the very left/right edge of the site), the beta site don't give me that feel, on the other hand it might not be necesary.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I'm also very used to this vBulletine site. On the other hand I didn't knew it was a pain to work with. This site is well worked on over these years I guess.

About the beta site:
Also add models, spells, maps, jass, tools etc and so on at top like this site, I'm basically only using these useful shortcuts. That is one of important traits why I like this site better than all other modding sites. Each forum lacks an icon like this site have.

Nice to see the the night elf theme on the new beta site, although on this site has fully extrensive theme kinda give me the feel it fills all the gaps (the very left/right edge of the site), the beta site don't give me that feel, on the other hand it might not be necesary.
Yep. vBulletin is a bitch. The developers of XenForo actually built vBulletin, but it is 10 years old after all. XenForo is like 3 years old or something. They knew how to do better because it wasn't their first time.
Links in top is definitely do-able. I wasn't planning on keeping resources as forums anyway. It's an easy fix. There is an addon for that.
I like it, feels so fresh and comfortable.
Thank you!

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
The site feels fresh and smooth. Even in the beta state I can see many improvements and new options. It's smooth and looks more like a 2015 site now. I have several questions now:
-I uploaded a resource, and saw a rating row for users and reviewers, but not for moderators. Or are moderators = reviewers there?
-Profile page has some user information that is split. I'd fuse those 2 fields together, but that might just be me.
186388-albums6678-picture99376.png

-I am curious: friends=followers? If not where can I add/see my friends? Or is this still incomplete in the Beta?
-Another observation. As seen in the above picture, profile information appears in the left side, while in current site it's on the right. I know that's really minor and I probably sound too picky, but I am curious if that was a design decision or a vBulletin/XenForo difference that isn't up to you?

I also wrote you a VM with an issue there, but I'll post it here aswell:
SpasMaster said:
Already got things to report. So I tried to "paste" one of my pastebin entries from vanilla Hive here but in Hive2 it says that the entry is too big. I assume it's because all the bbcodes don't get compressed, but I just wanted to throw that in :)

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Your account is currently awaiting confirmation. Confirmation was sent to ...

I get no mail :(

The mail is classified as spam. You need to look the recycle bin or whatever it's called in English.

OT:
I generally like the beta site. The only thing that I don't really like is the "new profile posts" section. I would much rather have a recently created threads there.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
The site feels fresh and smooth. Even in the beta state I can see many improvements and new options. It's smooth and looks more like a 2015 site now. I have several questions now:
-I uploaded a resource, and saw a rating row for users and reviewers, but not for moderators. Or are moderators = reviewers there?
-Profile page has some user information that is split. I'd fuse those 2 fields together, but that might just be me.
186388-albums6678-picture99376.png

-I am curious: friends=followers? If not where can I add/see my friends? Or is this still incomplete in the Beta?
-Another observation. As seen in the above picture, profile information appears in the left side, while in current site it's on the right. I know that's really minor and I probably sound too picky, but I am curious if that was a design decision or a vBulletin/XenForo difference that isn't up to you?

I also wrote you a VM with an issue there, but I'll post it here aswell:
Reviewers are moderators + other people we may categorize as good reviewers.
I can see what you mean with the profile information.
Following makes more sense than friends. It allows you to get notifications when people you pay attention to do stuff. Anyway, this is part of XenForo, not something I made. I made the resource system and the theme.
The mail is classified as spam. You need to look the recycle bin or whatever it's called in English.

OT:
I generally like the beta site. The only thing that I don't really like is the "new profile posts" section. I would much rather have a recently created threads there.
I think a later version of XenForo has this. I agree, recent threads is more important.

The email system is temporary. If you need an account activated, post the name here and I can activate it for you.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I suppose I like it somewhat. Feels a bit smoother on some aspects. I was hoping for pages a bit more compact though. When I'm looking at a resource, it still displays a huge blank gap between the map image and the resource info. From what I've seen, the description displays below both so it's not even fillable.

I'm also hoping the forum icons will be brought along =( perhaps the individual forums should be bordered too?

Finally, I'd actually prefer if the reputation system didn't come along altogether. Not in its current state, at least. It has been the source of endless arguing and it needs a revamp, for this and all the reasons I mentioned last time we discussed it. Are we still going to have a reputation-based-on-likes system?

Level 7
I'm not very good to explain to people things, so I'll go fast and post an image (a poor edited one to be honest :p) to better illustrate my feedback lol

dowy2J3.png

WIaR95P.png

And

Xm6aRij.png

VxK6IuP.png

This is basically a forum feedback after all, since it use the forum itself layout, but other then that, the new one is very good and objective, just hope to get support for Starcraft II as well, since the current hive doesn't support very well.

:thumbs_up:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I suppose I like it somewhat. Feels a bit smoother on some aspects. I was hoping for pages a bit more compact though. When I'm looking at a resource, it still displays a huge blank gap between the map image and the resource info. From what I've seen, the description displays below both so it's not even fillable.

I'm also hoping the forum icons will be brought along =( perhaps the individual forums should be bordered too?

Finally, I'd actually prefer if the reputation system didn't come along altogether. Not in its current state, at least. It has been the source of endless arguing and it needs a revamp, for this and all the reasons I mentioned last time we discussed it. Are we still going to have a reputation-based-on-likes system?
It has to work on all displays (mobile too). I don't know about you but I hate having my browser 100% width of my display. It makes things completely unreadable. Right now the frontpage of this site scrolls with the width I prefer because of Archian's images in that article.
Forum icons, definitely. Archian has made them all already, I just haven't installed them on this test site because it is a test of the resource system mostly.
I will not remove reputation this time around. I will add reputation exactly like it is right now. Why? Because many people would rage and their rage would be targeted at Hive 2. If I revamp rep later, it will not. Simple as that ;-). Reputation and likes are two different things. I honestly don't really know what to do with the like system...
Also tags(bb codes) doesn't seem to be implement yet. Just noticed.
Read the first post. I said that already.
I like it, It looks nice.

The page itself seems very fluid, modern, and just plain crisp looking.

Pretty easy to navigate also.
Awesome.
I'm not very good to explain to people things, so I'll go fast and post an image (a poor edited one to be honest :p) to better illustrate my feedback lol

dowy2J3.png

WIaR95P.png

And

Xm6aRij.png

VxK6IuP.png

This is basically a forum feedback after all, since it use the forum itself layout, but other then that, the new one is very good and objective, just hope to get support for Starcraft II as well, since the current hive doesn't support very well.

:thumbs_up:

Let me get this clear. You are suggesting we add a separator between resources and posts. I hope you don't mean that the separator should be white.

Thanks guys.

Level 12
That's like saying that you don't need to upgrade a good product to an extremely great product o_O

Needed, no. Useful, yes.

You don't need to reinvent the wheel. When it comes to websites and software 'upgrades' are often downgrades due to the bugs and sometimes simply bad ideas. I once updated my skype only to find out that it simply looked awful and I had re-install the old superior version back afterwards.

Level 11
You don't need to reinvent the wheel. When it comes to websites and software 'upgrades' are often downgrades due to the bugs and sometimes simply bad ideas. I once updated my skype only to find out that it simply looked awful and I had re-install the old superior version back afterwards.

If the wheel didn't need re-inventing, then why do cars not use stone or wooden wheels? Modernization is a good thing and from what I've seen Xenforo is superior to Vbulletin in almost every way.

Embrace change friend :)

Level 7
Let me get this clear. You are suggesting we add a separator between resources and posts. I hope you don't mean that the separator should be white.

Thanks guys.

Exactly.

Not a white, i used a bad example because is the only example that i can give with my program of print screen xD

But a separator, can be like we have here, or a tinner line, anything, just to separate the threads and posts.

Level 36
I agree about the dividers, especially for thread posts, not necessarily so much for
between forums. A small black line is all that's needed, I think, but then, this is graphical.
I know you like to focus on the technical matters, currently.

Sorry for posting then..

Don't be like that. He was simply asking because if you don't like it, then explain why,
so that he knows exactly what you don't like about it. Simply put: If you explain what
you don't like, then maybe it'll change. Maybe you'll end up liking it after all :)

I do think it's Ralle's plan to separate the
resource section from the forum section,
though, if that's what you mean.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Ralle said:
Forum icons, definitely. Archian has made them all already
Huh, what do you mean he's made them? We're not keeping the ones we have right now? ='( They should stick at least for the night elf (and other wc3) themes.
reinventingthecraft01.gif

Ralle said:
There is a principle in graphical design called closeup or something. It helps identify different elements of the image. If you make them switch two colors based on whether they're the odd or even row, it may look better.

Ralle said:
but I hate having my browser 100% width of my display
Yes, me too, but this is how it's displaying right now:
as_envisioned.jpg

Level 12
Just expressing my opinions here...

Suggestions:

- Navigation Menu is a fantastic feature but! (Rename it to "Navigation Menu"?)
- I'm digging the "Home > Forums >" UI this is a must keep
- Keep the "Home > Forums >" at the top & bottom as is I like to forum jump
- Style chooser looks exciting but consider removing if we don't obtain other options
- Decrease the width of the forum, please (there's this wide gap between everything)
- Move "Sign Up Now!" top right & center it
- Forum Statistics should only be viewable Admins or Moderation Team (as a user I don't find this information useful)
- Members Online should only be viewable Admins or Moderation Team (as a user I don't find this information useful)
- Search Bar in top right area seems a bit off (reconsider moving it - slightly)
- Move "Members Online" to the bottom of the forums (if hiding from users isn't a option)
- Remove the "New Profile Posts"
- From Sign Up Now, Members Online, New Profile Posts, Forum Statistics (feels like a big advertisement - sorry I don't like it)
- Custom Maps should have its own section entirely perhaps something of the sort of (WC III - Maps)
- Change "Repositories - Bundles" (it can be misleading)
- Remove "Repositories - Comments"
- Remove "Repositories - (Custom made maps, textures, 3D models, tools and much more!)"
- Remove "Last Comments" in these sections (Custom Maps / Skins & Models / Abilities & Effects / Tools) also (Custom Maps) should always be first
- I feel as if (even though it does look clean) that the forum is being cluttered with unwanted information for a typical user

Strongly Suggesting:

- Ralle I beg you, please do something about the top left menu for maps/models/skins/tools as a map author I miss these options already in fact that's one of the many reasons why I return to hive. Some users are not your typical forum users as in less reading & browsing so using the top menu for (current hive) is extremely vital to me, it's keeping me alive Ralle! It's easy, reliable, & efficient to access. Honestly I wouldn't mind having both options though (menu bar & forum base) it's nice to see that (maps/models/skins/tool) are getting there own section although I do highly recommend a section just for "Maps" & adding some jumps in there to access models / skins / tools would be astounding.

I'm sure I could toss more positives in there, mostly typed up concerns to be short & brief, keep up the good work team.

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Laiev said:
Exactly.

Not a white, i used a bad example because is the only example that i can give with my program of print screen xD

But a separator, can be like we have here, or a tinner line, anything, just to separate the threads and posts.

+

Makoodzaka said:
I really don't understand why a 'hive 2' is even needed. Hiveworkshop is perfectly fine.

Have you think the user interface's Nielson's 5 usabilities?

If no, then you cannot understand what I mean.

I can say... Hive 2 must be made for THW's update since THW is old and messy.

THW is looked to have more stuffs (because it is an already made website) but it needs to be learned by users easily and efficiently. I take a long time to understand the whole THW, didn't you realised it when you are the new user?

Nielson's 5 usabilities:
  • Learnability (learn fast and easily when encountered)
  • Efficiency (use something effectively and efficiently)
  • Memorability (no need to memorise and recall)
  • Error (must be free of errors)
  • Satisfaction (your satisfaction)

Websites are designed and developed for users, not for you only. Website developers need to think more stuffs related to user interface, especially the web interface.

Nielson's 5 usabilities are just one mini-part from user interface. It is the basics. Let me take a metaphor -> if one country never upgrades and updates, then how come i-pad is released, how come there are cars, how come you can eat ice-cream?

It is not my opinion, it is the requirement for THW to be updated! You are not web developer so you cannot understand. Of course I'm not but I know more. Web developers need to think of web users and their convenience. (I know you are one of web users, but not all customers are right. )

Why must separators be added? It looks fine and comfortable! If separators are added to distinguish different maps, then your eye will focus on separators first rather than the maps you are finding. It causes annoyance!

Okay, if you disagree, then think the scientists' research. Okay... That's all

Level 18
Nice, Ralle.
I love the interface very much already. When I went to log in, that thing popping out of nowhere is just cool. :)
More animations would make this even better, I think. I (and probably others) love animations and dynamic.

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Ralle, if separators are added, they will cause annoyance.

You can increase the space a little bit more between submitted maps in 'Custom Maps' so that different maps can be seen much clearly and conveniently instead of adding separators suggested by Laiev.

I mean the space between "items" in 'Main Category' portion and 'Repositories' portion at 'Forums' page makes users to see well, but the space between submitted maps in 'Custom Maps' are not exactly large enough as the space between "items" in 'Main Category' portion and 'Repositories' portion at 'Forums' page.

They are too close to each other...

Not only 'Custom Maps', 'Skins & Models' also.

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Directive255 said:
But no separators will cause confusion about which text belong to which post. Or just leave a little gap between each post (like now).

Ya... I already have mentioned...

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Correct me, but are all the posts we made during the beta are lost forever on the merge/import?
Completely wiped, yes. The beta site will be deleted completely.
And will all Social Groups be imported into Hive 2 too?
Yes. There exist a very good social group addon for XenForo we can use out of the box.
Nice, Ralle.
I love the interface very much already. When I went to log in, that thing popping out of nowhere is just cool. :)
More animations would make this even better, I think. I (and probably others) love animations and dynamic.
Awesome, thanks!
Ralle, if separators are added, they will cause annoyance.

You can increase the space a little bit more between submitted maps in 'Custom Maps' so that different maps can be seen much clearly and conveniently instead of adding separators suggested by Laiev.

I mean the space between "items" in 'Main Category' portion and 'Repositories' portion at 'Forums' page makes users to see well, but the space between submitted maps in 'Custom Maps' are not exactly large enough as the space between "items" in 'Main Category' portion and 'Repositories' portion at 'Forums' page.

They are too close to each other...

Not only 'Custom Maps', 'Skins & Models' also.

But no separators will cause confusion about which text belong to which post. Or just leave a little gap between each post (like now).

P.S. Why Date of Birth is required for registration in the beta site?

You can argue that a gap is actually also a separator. Thanks guys.

Date of birth? No idea.

Level 17
To give my 5 cents, without separators it looks very messy IMO.
I'd put separators mainly in between threads an in between resources.
In threads I think replies are separated enough.
Second major gripe is the gradient texture behind replies, I would never put a gradient/texture behind text personally.
I'd take the default grey that is the background on the forum boards but I wouldn't mind this brown/beans w/e background of the default hive theme, maybe keep the textured gradient behind the profile information.

As for features, I find the random banter by random people in the "new profile posts" super irrelevant for the main board, I would prefer new resources/new threads/replies in there.
Also, I assume the "members online now" is going to be at the bottom of the page not right up there. With the regular hive traffic and with how large the templates are it would be a minimum of 30 lines long at any given time.

And the last gripe, I'm not sure how I feel about the user profile pics in the forum boards. I kinda liked the thread icons on the hive, but I don't find the profile pictures efficient, pretty or very useful.

Also now that you are upgrading hive, I wondered if sketchfab support would be possible. It is a website that allows people share 3d. They have their own players for use on websites/forums but I didn't get it to work on the hive. I thought it would be useful to allow people post full 3d WIPs instead of just screenshots and what not.

Last edited:

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Definitely gives me WC3C vibes. Especially the way the resources are organized.

rip

Not sure I like this myself, to be honest.
Personally, I really like how it looks but I think that the resource preview images should be a bit bigger and/or bordered. IMO, the borders made them stand out very nicely.
That might work, yeah.

Level 22
I like the new look, it gives a modern website impression.
I suggest placing important links like Maps, Spells, Models, Tools, etc. to top left corner like hive 1.

Are you going to group Skins and Models to one section?

When on mobile phone, zooming in messes up the interface. Some texts disappear or change position.

I like the "like system" in Resource Sections.

I also like the new features in Profile Page and hit seems you didn't need an accoubt to view a profile.
What's the Trophy Points?

Status
Not open for further replies.