• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Mapping Contest #4 - Dungeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
@ Malf, Ah, I understand what u mean Malf, sure I gues your team is first to implent something like that into a dungeon map. But there might be reason why you are the first, either it's to hard or to stupid to add it.
But then again, it might just be to hard but once completed will make the map a contest winner.

I rather see this contest as a way to increase my mapmaking skills, because of my partner I now know alot more about custom spells, and because the map needed various things (like lever systems and stuf) I never used before, I learned those to.

So in the end, I'm just going to remake my old maps with my new knowledge, first will be Ziggurat Takeover, got some plans to make it way better. xD

Still it would be nice to win at least one of the top 3 spots. =)

Oh and Malf, a small question about your map, the screenshot you provided with us does not really look like a dungeon to me, more of an open field with lot's -o- fog. Could u show us more angles or explain to us why it looks lik that? :p
Cause my terrain really is a dungeon, undergrounds and shitz full with undead and shitz. xD

Level 2
The screenshots are taken, as I've already stated, from a demo map. I don't code on Sabertooth_X's terrain because only the first level is completed. When he's done he'd send me the map and I'd just import the scripts.

Level 10
Trust me, our terrain is a dungeon.
The whole map takes place underground, but making the rocks scale up to the sky would just make for a lot of pointless camera-blocking which would hurt an RPG experience. (Ever played an RPG or game with HORRID camera angles? Yea.)

So instead of scaling them I used them as walls. It'll make more sense from an ingame view.

Level 21
NEWS from the Ice Forge:

ALL classes are now completed, they got following roles:

Melee:

Champion: Tank.
Skirmisher: Melee Damage, Tank.

Support:

Cleric: Heal, Support.
Angel Crusader Tank, Support.

Caster:

Kinetist: Magical Damage(more AoE).
Elementalist: Magical Damage(more Single-targeted).

BUT: each class has a important support, the thing is, you can only select 4 classes, because this map is for 4 players. So you have to choose your favourite combinations, you have to combine support, you got many possibilities to try out.

The Bosses are planned now too:

1. Boss: Shiel the Frost Monument
2. Boss: Frostslither
3. Boss: Frostbone
4. Boss: King Demonias (LAST BOSS).

But I wont tell you how they look, nor what strategies they will have.

Level 21
Angel Crusader can heal, well, the cleric is the only really good healer, so hes necessary, i guess, but I leave it to other people playing around with the classes.

And the angel crusader can fill many roles, he can deal a valuable amount of damage, is able to tank and to support, but hes quite hard to play, but well, you will have to find it out by yourself.

The Story for our Map: Ice Forge!:

The Darkness is rising...

2000 years ago: A proud king named Leorin built a kingdom with a majestic castle in a blooming land, they lived all in peace for some time, but the king got more and more greedy and attacked nearby lands to rob them. He heard, like many other kings, from the necronomicon, a book which would make the bearer the master over the world, Leorin slaughtered all those who could have the necronomicon.
His eyes got a dark and empty tinting after so many painful deaths caused by him...
However, leorin could never find the legendary necronomicon, he got old and died, but he got a son, his son, Leorin the Second got the same attitudes as his father
he searched even in the Dead Hills, a forbidden and forgotten country, covered with everlasting frost, there he found 1 of the sites of the necronomicon, the site emitted a weird power.... Leorin fell in a trance like state of dreaming... he saw black shadows which tried to seduce him, with success... those shadows guided him to the old "Arcanum", a hall of dark magic and mystery...
there found Leorin the necronomicon... he was at the state of becoming insane... but as he read the ancient book of the dead he understood everything.... he took the necronomicon to his kingdom... slayed his mother and cut her head off.... slayed all the wardens to make them his slaves... a dark energy empowered him... in his insanity he used the necronomicon to become immortal in the world of the undead…… he gave himself the name: Demonias..... His hate, and the dark magic drowned his lands and his castle in frost and darkness..
he destroyed his old castle, and built on the mass grave of his old castle a castle of frost, the ICE FORGE!
Now he sits in his castle and controls the dead bodies of his old comrades....to drown the whole world in darkness and decay...

Last edited:
Level 13
Contest coming to end soon, I wonder how many submissions will there be. (3-4 probly?).

We will run out of time again, but we will still submit our map. It should be pretty chalenging and fun. Curent progress:

Terrain: 90-100% ready
Heroes: 4 ready, 5th will be made if I have enough time
Puzzles/Misc stuff: We wont make many of these due lack of time but I would say they are about 30% ready.
Bosses: 90% ready, need to test and adjust them.
Tests: 0%, still need to do few things before we can test it.

Level 18
The least you could do is making it single-player compatible too you know. I don't know what causes a fatal error when 1 player plays, but you can fix it by putting it in the Then of a If/Then/Else command with condition '(Count Players with status User) greater then 1', and copying/editing the MP triggers to SP triggers in the Else part.

Level 13
Seems like our entry will be playable when the deadline comes. Alltought my partner is busy so I pretty much have to do everything to finish it up.

Still to do:
+ items/drop system
+ revive system
+ spell descriptions

Thats all we probly are able to do for the deadline. There are already few puzzles/quests and some weird stuff. Hmm im still banned aww............

Level 18
redscores. I've just player your game with 3 others from THW, and we didn't get very far. At the very first boss, we pushed him off the map! ROFL
That means that we pushed him, and because of your push triggers, it got moved instantly behind the crystals where we got separated.

Also I kind of don't like the lag in the game. There's no regular lag, but there's lag in activating commands. When you click the ground to walk, it waits a few seconds before it starts moving. Same for when you cast an ability. This is very annoying when in battle.

Finally, a minor problem: The hero's (at least the Skirmisher, not sure about the others) have no tooltips at all. Also there's a typo in the Last Strike ability of the Skirmisher, which says that it deals damage '2*Strength of the Champion', while it's a Skirmisher :gg:

Fix at least the upper 2 and it should be fine for as far as we've played it (which was the first room xD)

Level 13
Our map has come to testing stage now. As celebration to that, ill post a spoiler screenie

berserker, elementalist, holy knight and dark mage fighting against boss

Attachments

• Map contest 1.JPG
    Map contest 1.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 304
Level 13

The Jagged Relic

Overview:

The Jagged Relic is an ancient relic that was made in the second age of men. When two powerfull forces collided in a battle of unknown proportions, the second age of men came to an end and a new age began.
The survivors tried to rebuild their war torn world above the ruins, but that was a mistake they wont make a second time.
While digging the main foundation of the new capitol they stumbled upon an old catacomb, you could hear horrible screams.
It did not take long for the undead the crawl out of their tombs and haunt the living.
Can you destroy the relic before all the warriors beneath the ground are ressurected to once more fight for evil?

Features:
  • 3 Underground levels filled with monsters and puzzles.
  • 3 Main bosses that are scripted beyond imagination!
  • 4 Unique classes for now; Elementalist, Dark Wizard, Holy Knight and the Berserker.
  • Each class will have their own unique custom made spells to enhance gameplay.
  • A system that will drop random items, most will be potions but maybe if you're lucky you'll encounter some relics!
  • One of the best dungeon terrains

The map can be played alone or max of 4 players, but dont expect to beat the bosses on first try.

Tips and tricks:
*Each hero have their own playingstyle, but every class can beat the game. You probably wont win the bosses just by hacking and slashing.
*It aint neccecarry to kill everymonster in the dungeon, but you can get more potions or find more items if you explore the dungeon.

So this is my and Airandius entry. It might be improved since there still is time, so feel free to give suggestions. The screenies dont really show how the game is, so I suggest testing it.

GL & HF

Attachments

• Map contest 2.JPG
    Map contest 2.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 276
  • Map contest 3.JPG
    Map contest 3.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Map contest 5.JPG
    Map contest 5.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Map contest 4.JPG
    Map contest 4.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 276
  • Mapmaking Contest - Version 0.18.w3x
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Level 10
I love your terrain for that map, Airandius. It really fits and is just in general an awesome playable terrain. The usage of the dalaran ruins tile was original, and fit nicely. The only thing was the bordering (you only used like one line of rocks as the border and you could seen the plain tiles -- something I'm picky with, but it really didnt matter because the terrain rocked.)
----------------------------------
However:
I felt no satisfaction from defeating the bosses. Sure they had awesome moves, but after I was done I was just free to walk farther on. I could understand if they were mini-bosses or something, but they're supposed to be bosses. I mean, when I beat the game I just got the stupid "VICTORY!" dialogue. Nothing more, I should've gotten the Relic, how disappointing! I got more satisfaction out of slaughtering a shitton of skeletons and zombie warriors. On that note, some more creep variation would have been nice.

Other than that it's just that I felt the heroes were plain, aside from the models. They ran on the standard "Level up, damage up" system and I would've liked some more complexity there. I loved the abilities on the bosses though, they were pretty awesome. Sure each one had a blink and knockback/down of some sort.

The items were weird too. "Lvl1 6" was an item, or something like that. It's just more aesthetically pleasing to have them have actual names.

Aside from these things there were a few grammatical errors in the beginning ("They rebuild the capitol" when I'm pretty sure you meant rebuilt.) but it didn't affect the gameplay so it was all good. Very solid entry, guys.

EDIT: Oh yea, for some reason I started at level 8. But it was cool, because I raped stuff alone, which is a great feeling. I don't want to get aggravated at the game!

Level 18

The Jagged Relic

Overview:

The Jagged Relic is an ancient relic that was made in the second age of men. When two powerfull forces collided in a battle of unknown proportions, the second age of men came to an end and a new age began.
The survivors tried to rebuild their war torn world above the ruins, but that was a mistake they wont make a second time.
While digging the main foundation of the new capitol they stumbled upon an old catacomb, you could hear horrible screams.
It did not take long for the undead the crawl out of their tombs and haunt the living.
Can you destroy the relic before all the warriors beneath the ground are ressurected to once more fight for evil?

Features:
  • 4 Unique classes for now; Elementalist, Dark Wizard, Holy Knight and the Berserker.
  • A system that will drop random items, most will be potions but maybe if you're lucky you'll encounter some relics!

The map can be played alone or max of 4 players, but dont expect to beat the bosses on first try.

Tips and tricks:
*Each hero have their own playingstyle, but every class can beat the game. You probably wont win the bosses just by hacking and slashing.
*It aint neccecarry to kill everymonster in the dungeon, but you can get more potions or find more items if you explore the dungeon.

So this is my and Airandius entry. It might be improved since there still is time, so feel free to give suggestions. The screenies dont really show how the game is, so I suggest testing it.

GL & HF

I played the game and here's what I think:

Good points:
-For as far as I've tested are the abilities of both the heroes (at least the Berserker) and the bosses well written. I like the fact that the bosses don't only require brawn, but also brains to kill.
-Good idea to place a few chests containing treasures. However, keep an eye out of where to put the space in 'Treasure1 1' instead of 'Treasure 11'.
-Terrain was neat. A nice dungeon for sure.
-Tooltips were good and credits were given.

Bad points:
-Typo's. As well in the 'Treasure1 1' (and all other treasures), as in the cinematic. You spell it as 'capital' (misspelled twice) and 'safety'. Check the attached files to see those 2 lines.
-Please name the file you upload to 'The Jagged Relic 0.16' or something. Would be a bit annoying to change the names ourselves if we have to download 5 different 'Paired Mapping Contest'-named maps.
-Fix the easy mode a little bit. Starting as a lvl 8 against a lot of lvl 1 foes isn't that challenging. Even for an Easy mode. I haven't tried Normal or Hard mode yet.

My opinion this game is well worth playing. Fix those little things and I wish you good luck in the contest :thumbs_up:

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_111308_234532_01.tga
    3 MB · Views: 52
  • WC3ScrnShot_111308_234600_02.tga
    3 MB · Views: 61

The Jagged Relic

Overview:

Features:

Tips and tricks:

GL & HF

Yikes, that's a lot of negative comments I have written down. All in all the game was fun, but lacked any sort of challenge. Heres why:

Positive Comments:
  • I like how you cannot progress without both heroes being at the progressing location.
  • The terrain is excellent.

Negative Comments:
  • High, Normal, Hard are the choices for XP Rates. Should it not be High, Normal, and Low?
  • No Loading Screen.
  • There is currently a selectable hero class called "Berserk". Berserk is an adjective, not a noun. Thus his name should be "Berserker".
  • The game is much too easy up until the third boss.
  • The room with the four foot switches in the corners and the massive swarm of skeletons seems to have no purpose.
  • Creeps seem to only help heroes gain experience. They provide no challenge.
  • Some passive abilities have active icons, please change this.
  • Nothing exciting about the items. They have really lame names too. For example: "Treasure lvl13".
  • We gathered an excessive amount of healing potions throughout the map and found that after not too long we didn't need to pick up any loot, because our inventories were full of what was always dropping from our opponents.
    • Because of this the first boss was no challenge whatsoever. Though the model and unique spells made him for an interesting fight.
  • Boss two was a piece of cake, except for within the last 10 seconds when he went overboard, abusing the spike attack.

Another thing I didn't like was the lack of a custom model for him. It might the fight that much less exciting.
  • It seemed that we would be fighting the same few creeps until after each boss. First it was skeleton warriors, then it was decaying footmen, then demons.
  • The whole dead end leading to a treasure item got old.
  • Berserk Slash, for the "Berserk", was too overpowered. I could kill anything, aside from bosses, in one hit with it.

Other Minor Concerns:
  • Arches and whatnot make it hard to see from time to time. I suggest making the camera view change automatically in these spots.
  • The gameplay isn't very unique. It's "Just Another War 3 Map".

Other MAJOR Concerns:
  • Your map was lacking a description and author. If these changes are not made the map will not be accepted into the contest.

Level 13
Ty for lot of feedback, ill try to make some minor improvements. Due the lack of our time the map turned out pretty much hack and slash.

If you play alone you start at lvl8, cause it would be impossible to beat even the first boss alone if you started at lvl3 (if you look carefully, you can see that it displayes text solo player handicap).

So people want
- Harder bosses
- Better named items
- Harder creeps?!
- boss loot
- (maybe change pot drops to rune drops or something to make inventory bigger)

allright Ill try to change those things if I have time + the author. And maybe even make ending cinematic.

The Jagged Relic

Overview:

Features:

Tips and tricks:

GL & HF

Hi kewlthis, I've actually playing around in this map in the morning.
Here's my comments.

Good Points
[+]Terrain is good enough for playable
[+]Credits
[+]Good AI of bosses
Neutral Points
[!]Items obtained easily
[!]Cinematic has only words
Bad Points
[-]Learning Skill Hot-key Problem
[-]Bosses Problems (leaks, skill hits ownself, some are too easy)
I have to note that I haven't really finished the map.
Anyway, good luck.

Level 21
redscores and FamousPker49 present you:

The Ice Forge

The Darkness is rising...

2000 years ago: A proud king named Leorin built a kingdom with a majestic castle in a blooming land, they lived all in peace for some time, but the king got more and more greedy and attacked nearby lands to rob them. He heard, like many other kings, from the necronomicon, a book which would make the bearer the master over the world, Leorin slaughtered all those who could have the necronomicon.
His eyes got a dark and empty tinting after so many painful deaths caused by him...
However, leorin could never find the legendary necronomicon, he got old and died, but he got a son, his son, Leorin the Second got the same attitudes as his father
he searched even in the Dead Hills, a forbidden and forgotten country, covered with everlasting frost, there he found 1 of the sites of the necronomicon, the site emitted a weird power.... Leorin fell in a trance like state of dreaming... he saw black shadows which tried to seduce him, with success... those shadows guided him to the old "Arcanum", a hall of dark magic and mystery...
there found Leorin the necronomicon... he was at the state of becoming insane... but as he read the ancient book of the dead he understood everything.... he took the necronomicon to his kingdom... slayed his mother and cut her head off.... slayed all the wardens to make them his slaves... a dark energy empowered him... in his insanity he used the necronomicon to become immortal in the world of the undead…… he gave himself the name: Demonias..... His hate, and the dark magic drowned his lands and his castle in frost and darkness..
he destroyed his old castle, and built on the mass grave of his old castle a castle of frost, the ICE FORGE!
Now he sits in his castle and controls the dead bodies of his old comrades....to drown the whole world in darkness and decay... And YOU take the role of the heroes which want to cleanse the world from this plague!

Features:

-4 Players can enjoy this dungeon at the same time.
-90% triggered spells.
-great terrain, with a really dungeon feeling in it.
-bosses with increasing difficult, for a challenging game.
-a cool camera system, giving a feeling of an old school RPG dungeon.
-a new selection system, using ESC (hero selection is not meant...)
-30~ new models are used in this map, new sfx, creep and boss models.

NOTE: This Map may only be played with a above-average pc for optimized game experience, either is this map thought for 4 players (impossible to beat alone or with 2).

HAVE FUN AND GL! And tell me balance issues and such!

0.01 FIXINGS: Knock back bug, skirmisher tooltip fixed, improved typos and mind control bug fixed , changed the room-to-room cam change.

FINAL SUBMISSION!

Attachments

• Ice Forge v0.01.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.