• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Modeling Contest #28 - Wizards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
Here's the update:
242792-albums8392-picture101166.png

The mesh is going quite easy but I am not sure about the animations, though. The Cape is only edited from Blood Mage's one, the rest is all made from scratch. I will probably 'steal' the face from one of the in game model cause I can't make one. And, yeah, is more than 2000 vertices too much? >.>

Here's the update:
242792-albums8392-picture101166.png

The mesh is going quite easy but I am not sure about the animations, though. The Cape is only edited from Blood Mage's one, the rest is all made from scratch. I will probably 'steal' the face from one of the in game model cause I can't make one. And, yeah, is more than 2000 vertices too much? >.>

Woah, cool.... Noce mesh you got there, ingame texture?

Progress with the rigging.

Animations from standard eredar (I know, creative, right?) but with some addional ones.

With those thin arms those animations might look a bit funny, thinken them a bit?
I really like how that model turned out, but don't female eredar have some distinct features? She looks a bit like an ordinary draenei, save for the armor.

Level 20
For some reason this is another undead. I seem to have quite a number of undeads.
Actually it's more of a shade I suppose, anyway here's some screenies.
I call him the dunk master. Inspired by Charles Barkley.

A former novice but talented human wizard, he constructed a devilish magic through ignorance. A magic that sacrifices the flesh of human. Not realizing that and thinking it was a self-buff magic, he gave up his own flesh and constructed the perfect magical artifact called the 'Enigma B-ball'. Now with his own soul tied to the demonic artifact that he constructed, he holds the magic of emptiness and darkness through the artifact and roams the lands of Lorderon as a wandering spirit, searching to the one thing that can fill his void -
a good b-ball game.
..... Or something like that.

Dunk2.jpg

Dunk3.jpg

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Progress with the rigging.

Animations from standard eredar (I know, creative, right?) but with some addional ones.
Ooh, coming along nicely. I rather like her ornate back-piece.

Finally got the model rigged, and started animating. I have some fantastic things in mind for this character. Not all of which are apparent through the mesh as is.

Stand 1
188037-albums8388-picture101179.png

Stand 2
188037-albums8388-picture101180.png
This is Direfury, folks; great Wc3 modeling & a history/mythology lesson. ;P

(seriously, though; I had no idea about the scythe vs. sword thing, but it makes perfect sense & really adds character)

15904651203_dff6a704b4_b.jpg

trying a somehow different approach towards the mohawk
Oh you. You and your ridiculously ridiculous ridicule.

Man, can't wait to see this thing unfold. Also can't wait to reskin it blue. xD Reminds me a bit of the Dota2 Witch Doctor (a good thing).

For some reason this is another undead. I seem to have quite a number of undeads.
Actually it's more of a shade I suppose, anyway here's some screenies.
I call him the dunk master. Inspired by Charles Barkley.

A former novice but talented human wizard, he constructed a devilish magic through ignorance. A magic that sacrifices the flesh of human. Not realizing that and thinking it was a self-buff magic, he gave up his own flesh and constructed the perfect magical artifact called the 'Enigma B-ball'. Now with his own soul tied to the demonic artifact that he constructed, he holds the magic of emptiness and darkness through the artifact and roams the lands of Lorderon as a wandering spirit, searching to the one thing that can fill his void -
a good b-ball game.
..... Or something like that.

Dunk2.jpg

Dunk3.jpg
Um ok. Quite a backstory for an evil basketball demon. :p I rather like the ghostly arms above his; a good harkening-back to DonDustin's excellent "Puppeteer" model.

Level 20
Um ok. Quite a backstory for an evil basketball demon. :p I rather like the ghostly arms above his; a good harkening-back to DonDustin's excellent "Puppeteer" model.

Yeah my excitement got the better of me :goblin_boom:. Didn't really need the whole paragraph of backstory. The model can tell the backstory for me (hopefully lol). Just felt like sharing what my mind for how the model came about and what not. Well it's mainly still Chaos Dunk and Charles Barkley.

Level 19
Nice reference, Chen. Hope to see some WIP from you soon.
How much are you familiar with the modeling, Nightstalker? We can't help you if you don't tell us what is your problem.

Thanks for at least answering to me. I have blender and Maya but they both don't have the option to export to mdx file format and i dont know how to create my own custom animations.

Level 19
No it doesn't sound harsh actually. I know that too, but there is 1 month for this contest to end. I can learn so much in that time span. I will try to catch this one, hoping to finish it by the due date, and if I can't finish it, I'll have gained some experience. Okay then, I won't bother the thread anymore, sorry if i disturbed...

Here's the thing. My first released animated model was from 2010. The quality of animation was just below that of most the other animators here, save for Tauer.

I've been improving ever since. There's no reasonable way you'd be able to get to an acceptable level of skill and put up an entry before the contest ended.

It's one Month, One month is long If you are hardcore enough, this is definitely possible XD
And also, these are just lowpoly models, Not gonna take too long to learn
For animation might need some extra time to perfect but.... It's not too hard.

Good Luck

I suck at making bewbs, so bad I haven't made them yet.

EDIT: Should I make bilboarded circles for them or what?

No, just look at some examples... if you know what I mean xD
Seriously these are not so hard to do, just need some extra polies there.

EDIT: Here's my first WiP... Yes, that's supposed to be a skull :S
But...
its-something.png

EDIT2: Uhh, is there a poly count limit? Cuz I've done the skull only and it's around 250-300 polies :S

Attachments

• WiP1.PNG
    WiP1.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Level 39
Woah, awesome WIPs people. Really great jobs so far.

I'm back after a weeks vacation, and ready to get back to modeling. Registration day at uni in a few days so might not get much work done there, but afterwards I should have time.

I think if there was a polycount limit, it should have been stated in the rules from the start. A little bit late for that now. As long as it's not tens of thousands of polies, I can't really see a problem with high polycount anymore.

Level 19
I really suggest you read tutorials. That will help a great deal. No-one can just instantly teach you everything.
Milkshape has an addon for it which can export and import .MDX. You'll have to find it somewhere on the Hive, most likely in a Sticky in Modelling & Animation or in one of the tutorials.

Here's the thing. My first released animated model was from 2010. The quality of animation was just below that of most the other animators here, save for Tauer.

I've been improving ever since. There's no reasonable way you'd be able to get to an acceptable level of skill and put up an entry before the contest ended.

It's one Month, One month is long If you are hardcore enough, this is definitely possible XD
And also, these are just lowpoly models, Not gonna take too long to learn
For animation might need some extra time to perfect but.... It's not too hard.

Good Luck

Thanks for the answers, I want to at least come up with a mediocre model for the contest, let's see what I can do tho...

Good luck to you all too, I really like the models you guys did!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I don't really like the theme, but i will try something.
148022d1440784052-modeling-contest-28-wizards-wip01.jpg
Not liking something is the first step towards owning it! :p

At least, if your WIP is anything to go off of. Noice, man.

WiP 4

Textured it
Ooh, nice and Warcraft-y.

You won't be able to learn in time for this contest. These contests are here for people with enough experience to participate immediately. That is why you weren't getting answers.

It might sound harsh, but that's the truth. Focus on learning what you need to, and catch the next one.
Oh come now. That's nonsense; these Contests are here for a variety of reasons & a variety of modelers, but I don't think "all entrants being of a certain proficiency" is one of them. Plenty of Contests have had modelers of all skill levels; that's half the fun. A "clash of titans" between the 2-3 best modelers would be a tad boring, IMO.

More importantly, one of the goals of these Contests is to give valuable experience to participants; experience working under a deadline & with creative constraints. Even if one is not likely to win, entering can be an enriching experience.

Finally, if the issue is merely animations... Well there's nothing stopping him from using in-game animations. Plenty of good modelers do, and while custom animations can certainly give you an edge, in-game animations can't result in a penalty if used well (according to the Criteria).

I can learn so much in that time span. I will try to catch this one, hoping to finish it by the due date, and if I can't finish it, I'll have gained some experience. Okay then, I won't bother the thread anymore, sorry if i disturbed...
Pre-xactly. : ) Good luck, man!

Level 19
Not liking something is the first step towards owning it! :p

At least, if your WIP is anything to go off of. Noice, man.

Ooh, nice and Warcraft-y.

Oh come now. That's nonsense; these Contests are here for a variety of reasons & a variety of modelers, but I don't think "all entrants being of a certain proficiency" is one of them. Plenty of Contests have had modelers of all skill levels; that's half the fun. A "clash of titans" between the 2-3 best modelers would be a tad boring, IMO.

More importantly, one of the goals of these Contests is to give valuable experience to participants; experience working under a deadline & with creative constraints. Even if one is not likely to win, entering can be an enriching experience.

Finally, if the issue is merely animations... Well there's nothing stopping him from using in-game animations. Plenty of good modelers do, and while custom animations can certainly give you an edge, in-game animations can't result in a penalty if used well (according to the Criteria).

Pre-xactly. : ) Good luck, man!

very well explained! I couldnt have said better, and thanks for positive energy :D btw i have done modelling in blender and may. They were not amazing models but i know the basics just warcraft modelling is stranger to me right now

very well explained! I couldnt have said better, and thanks for positive energy :D btw i have done modelling in blender and may. They were not amazing models but i know the basics just warcraft modelling is stranger to me right now
go for it, our contests aren't such serious business. setting the goal to participate in the contest is a nice way to push yourself to learn it :)

and direfury tends to be a douchebag with everyone, don't take it too personally :p

Status
Not open for further replies.