• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Introductions and Inquiries

Status
Not open for further replies.
118508d1350149259-jass-class-jassclass.png

My name is Magtheridon96, and I will be your main instructor!
By the end of this class, you will be shaped up into a proficient vJASS Coder.
You will be taught absolutely everything. We make almost no assumptions concerning
your knowledge and have almost no prerequisites. We are here to shape you up
into a thinker and a very good problem solver with exceptional vJASS knowledge.

Before we actually begin with material, let's introduce ourselves.

I will begin.
My screen name is Magtheridon96, but you knew that.
I'm a 16-year old boy living in Lebanon. I spend my time moderating this site
and working on a few personal projects in C++ (A game engine is one). I really enjoy
programming. It is like a hobby and a career to me.

Anyway, now that I've introduced myself briefly, I will begin by telling you how
this class is going to work.

Every week or so, I will give you material.
This material will be in the form of a map containing
lessons and practice problems. There will also be 1 project
per map. Projects start out easy and end up being quite challenging.

You are to complete the practice problems and the project, and I
will assess you as soon as I can.

Feel free to introduce yourself or ask questions below.
They will be answered as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Level 6
Ok.....i hate VJASS....because it makes my head to turn around....but because of this i want to learn it even if it is hard...but before you teach us may i ask....

IS THE WORLD EDITOR OF WARCRAFT IV CATACLYSM USES VJASS?......

WHAT IF THE WARCRAFT 3 TFT STOPS...AND WARCRAFT 4 CONTINUES...CAN WE STILL ABLE TO USE OUR VJASS KNOWLEDGE?...

TKF

TKF

Level 19
So only vJass? I'm only using the regular editor. But I didn't see this Jass class requires JNGP. My only issue is the hashtables I use i my map doesn't like JNGP

But I will try to follow. Since I can somewhat understand converted, vJass will wrap my head.

I'm a old guy from scandinavia, 27 year old. I won't tell more of myself than that atm.

I have from time to time been using wc3 editor a bit, but often taken breaks from wc3 editing. I've been only used to GUI all these years and when TFT came, editor was greatly improved and by then I decided to learn asoects of GUI. I learned from others people maps, mostly from maps like battle tanka, missile war, and callex maps. I hate the part of making a terrain from scratch, I had maps which I have created from scratch which was rpgs, but I no longer have them.

I know of nothing else than using the editor, icons making and minor edits of models (attachments skin change etc...)

neo_sluf said:

WHAT IF THE WARCRAFT 3 TFT STOPS...AND WARCRAFT 4 CONTINUES...CAN WE STILL ABLE TO USE OUR VJASS KNOWLEDGE?...

I have absolutely no idea.
vJASS will likely not be usable unless someone redoes JNGP.
You might be able to use JassHelper with a few workarounds to get your code to compile to JASS, but I don't even know if they're going to be using JASS in future patches.

TKF said:
So only vJass? I'm only using the regular editor. But I didn't see this Jass class requires JNGP. My only issue is the hashtables I use i my map doesn't like JNGP

But I will try to follow. Since I can somewhat understand converted, vJass will wrap my head.

Yeah, because unfortunately, a strictly-JASS class would only require one or two lessons :V

Don't worry though, the first lesson has absolutely nothing to do with vJASS.

Level 14
Hi, there, my name is Pete, 20 y.o., I live in Glasgow. I've studied software engineering at Uni, and though I dropped the course, I'm pretty much still interested in learning a thing or two.

Side question - I've never used/played SC2, but does the editor use anything like JASS?

Also, Magh, quite surprised to see you're only 16, your posts have left me with the impression that you're quite mature. Take this as a compliment, I mean it.

Level 19
Ok.....i hate VJASS....because it makes my head to turn around....but because of this i want to learn it even if it is hard...but before you teach us may i ask....

there will be no warcraft 4.

ABM

ABM

Level 7
Hi my name is Alain and i am from France.
i love mapmaking, game mastering RPG, and i would love to program games so in order to use full potentiality of Jass and WE, i am happy to study VJass with everyone.

I'm a Jass class observer of 13 years. Been screwing around with the editor for 3 years and taught myself almost everything it did, (Hive taught me the rest) except for, of course, Jass. I am currently working on a very unique campaign (details once I've finished half of it, right now I'm at about 23-26%) and could use some coding knowledge. My greatest strengths in map making are terraining, storyline, and good English, which is hard to find in a lot of maps.

Level 18
Hello people, my name is Dorian. I am from Croatia, Karlovac. The first time I opened wc3 World editor, I ''fel in love'' with it xD. I like coding and proggraming very much, but it's a bit hrd to learn it all by myself. So I think this is my chance to learn something very cool :D

Cheers!

Level 14
Hello, my name is Panajot. I am 24 years old and have not the slightest idea of coding languages. I hope you make this class as easy but intriguing as you mentioned. I don't have a lot of free time (more like none) but will check back this section when possible.

Level 2
Hi all guys, My name is Omar and im also known as esKizo or PureConMayo. Im 23 years old and i live in chile. I have a degree in history and this year i'll be studing computer science :D but i already know by my own c++ and other stuff ... i know very well GUI but its time to move on just for fun :). Greetins!

Hello, fellow students!
My name is Ruslan, I'm currently living in Russia. I have a 3,5 years of Jass and 6 years of WE experience, hanging on with coding for ~8 years. Currently I'm 18 years old. I'm studying Economics and Management, I'm also managing a team named TGM that stands for Templars of Gaming and Modmaking. I am the member of the Crimson Creations team who develops The Kingdom of Kaliron map. I'm helping them as a Jass2/vJass coder. I enjoy this community and I've came here as a student to discover more about that warcraft 3 programming language.
Best wishes to all of you! <3

Programming Languages I Know: HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Delphi, Jass, ActionScript 2.0/3.0 etc.

Level 11
Hello everybody. My name is Martin, I'm 26 years old and I'm from Argentina. Have been doing GUI from 2007 to 2011 and tried some vJASS/Zinc but quit long ago (no longer in the map making industry, but JASS is a pending matter that needs a closure :p)

Will check here from time to time whenever I have time for it =D

Level 3
Hi people, my name is Matt, i'm 26 and from Australia. Have dabbled with world editor a number of times over the years. Don't know programming languages but have self taught myself some vJass. i know enough vJASS to work with simple snippets and systems but not enough to understand the advanced stuff like Nestharus's or Anachron's.

Level 16
Greetings. My username here in THW is Doomlord (or it can be shortened to Doom). I am 17 and my country is Vietnam.

I do know a thing or two about vanilla WE JASS but zero knowledge of vJASS. One of the reason for my learning vJASS is because I can use the "Tab" key for indentation. I consider it the greatest thing ever invented for JASS coding :p

Nice to meet you all.

M93

M93

Level 2
Hello everyone. My name is Marko, I'm from Serbia, and I am 19 years old. Only programming language i know anything about is C, and my knowledge is pretty basic. I dont have much time but I will try to learn at least basics of JASS.

Level 3
Hello! I'm Chris 24years old and I'm from Greece currently living in the Netherlands.
I know some basic stuff in C, C++, pascal, java, python, but I always get as far as the basic stuff goes.

I think the teaching method by creating maps and stuff, will be a motivational factor to this whole learning thing.

Level 5
Hallo, I am a high school student in Colorado, and I am in a club that works with Game Maker the application, and we spend our time in there treating the club like an actual game studio. I have spent some time with C++ and world editor jass but I am running off of Windows Vista, so I am unable to run vJASS, which I really would love to try it, but I can't :goblin_cry: . But I do enjoy programming very much so, and hope to get better at it, and the Jass Class will hopefully help me improve.

Level 5
I can't get it to work for some reason lol
Edit: Nevermind I got it to work, had to a lot of stuff with microsoft security essentials

Last edited:
Level 4
I want to learn! Do I start from teh start or the newest week?
My name is Nathan! I'm also know as ldragogode297 but people can't pronounce it so they just call me Drago!
I'm also know elsewhere as SilverDragon, ArgentumDraco, and ViridusLupus!
I hope this will be helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.