• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

=== Zombie Survival (10) ===

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slaughter City

52102d1246638313-zombie-survival-10-zombies5.jpg

Story
Its the zombie apocalypse. Bring a shotgun.

Gameplay
As proven by games like Left 4 Dead, World at War, etc. I have decided to rely on one simple formula.

Anything + Zombies = Awesome

The game is divided into several acts (2 are complete, I expect to have 5 in total or more). Each act, in completely different environments, contains 10 waves of different zombie enemies and increasing difficulty. Each player controls one marine hero and the game automatically scales according to how many players there are.

You can set up barricades to block the way and buy you some time, command airstrikes ranging from artillery to cryo-bombs, plant explosives, etc... There are many ways to play, and using different items and strategies is a necessity. This is a co-op map at base, and playing as only gattlings will get you nowhere.

Every level your marine gets you get a skill point, which you can use to choose or upgrade a perk. You can only select 4 perks, and they usually range from a grenade launcher to a Sprint ability.

Weapons
Shotgun: Hits 6 different enemies around the marine.
Flamethrower: Deals no basic damage but lights zombies on fire.
Gattling: Really fast bullet spraying gun.
Sniper: Powerful but slow, usually kills zombies very quickly. Also sometimes headshots a zombie, which means no corpse.

Perks
Grenade launcher: Launches a small explosive charge that deals AoE damage to enemies.
Sprint: Honestly, what do you think it does?
Support Drones: Spawns support drones that attack zombies.
Explosive Dart: Sticks a small explosive on a zombie that explodes when the enemy dies.
C4: Allows you to drop multiple charges of C4 and detonate them at the same time.
Heal: Does exactly what you think it does. Basically allows you to become a medic.
Camouflage: Allows you to hide for a while, useful to get out of a tough situation.
Bleeding wounds: Each hit makes the zombie bleed, causing damage over time and a trail of blood.

-More to come-

I'll eventually need testers, someone to host and a way to show videos of the map. But the map is barely 50% done, so that might take a while.

One thing I can tell you about the look of the game though, is that this is the most bloody and violent map in Wc3 history. Blood is used without restraint here. The map is also set in a modern setting, with buildings, streets and all that kind of stuff.

Attachments

• Zombies2.jpg
    Zombies2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 5,071
  • Zombies3.jpg
    Zombies3.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 1,523
  • Zombies1.jpg
    Zombies1.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 409
  • Zombies4.jpg
    Zombies4.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 318
  • Zombies6.jpg
    Zombies6.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 343
  • Zombies7.jpg
    Zombies7.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Zombies8.jpg
    Zombies8.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 406
  • Zombies9.jpg
    Zombies9.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 399
  • ZOMBIES5.jpg
    ZOMBIES5.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 1,192
Last edited:
Thanks. :)

I already use the modified Terrain text file to make steeper hills, what I want to know is if other things can be modified with the same technique (a text file), because until then the lighting system is out of the picture. :(

And testers will mostly be for multiplayer tests. The game scales, so I can definitly test alone, but this is really a co-op game.

I'm thinking of renaming it ''Left 4 Dead''

Level 8
Lets see...
The story makes no sense, Zombies do not typically "Take" people, unless yours are going to,
Cuss at me in Spanish use weapons and occasionally sprint, than there called Ganadoes [Resident evil 4 Rip].

Hopefully not,
Also the Formula's wrong. Someone is trying to make it so Zombies come when a Spider lays a egg.
Which makes absolutely no sense as well.
But what I'm trying to get at.

Story sounds really bogus.

As for the acts, it sounds decent,
But I can already tell this will be a "LoLz! Build Barricade! I call AiRstiKe!"
Kinda game, hopefully you avoid letting players completely sit in one area air striking and calling artillery for anyone who comes near there impassible barricades.

That would make me sad, Anyways, good luck on your map!
-Calvin

Level 34
Will, I noticed something in your 'story':

Story
The President's daughter has been kidnapped by zombies. Are you man enough to save here?
As a team of random, steroid-boosted action heroes in power armor, you have been assigned to enter an infected city and kick as much zombie ass as you possibly can.

Since when do zombies kidnap a living thing? And since when do Presidental daughters come infected areas? To shop in their favorite zombie mall or something?!

---

But seriously, the third screenshot looks AWESOME, looks like the buildings are also 'infected'.

Level 35
I'm serious, this looks really good. As for the story, I don't think it's necessary, since pwning zombies is the same with or without a storyline.

Oh, and personally I prefer pwning zombies with modern warfare weapons, not futuristic ones, but your call.

EDIT: I hope you'll use custom zombies, because I'm really bored with the shitty WC3 default model..

Last edited:
Level 10
Read what I fucking write before responding, excuse my language, my point is bit ruminating.

Looks weak. Terrain is alright, you have the setting of I am Legend, but everything is not proportional. Perhaps you should invest in interior buildings/see through transparent buildings. Tanks a bad idea, so is a rocketeer? There's no need for heavy ordinance when you're up against personnel. The reason why anti-tank weapons are called anti-tank weapons is because ITS FOR A BLEEDING TANK. Unless your ideology is based around the idea that smashing ants with boulders is a brilliant idea. Even if you have huge bosses, grenades will suffice. If you do a tank unit, you need to do a crew system, gasoline system, ammunition system, turret turning system. Burning zombies is the most stupidest fucking idea, then they're just burning living dead... Placing blood everywhere doesn't make the game "Hardcore," extreme amount of blood just equals the question of, did everyone just fucking came out of their hiding spots hugged every spot of the city and lit TNT in their face?

Is this guy for real? I can't tell whether he's serious about all this nitpicking or not.

-The ''tank'' is a heavily armored marine with a gattling gun. NOT AN ACTUAL TANK.
-Who said anything about grenades? Did you read the same post I wrote?
-How the fuck is this the setting of I Am Legend? This is the setting of every Zombie Apocalypse scenario ever, which is why the story is so weak (zombie apocalypse games need no story).
-I don't care about realism, alright? There's a flamethrower because its a splash Damage over time weapon, and it makes for another class with different skills.
-Blood is because I like special effects and zombie maps need gore. I never said it made it hardcore or better, I'm just saying there's a shitload of blood, something Wc3 maps don't usually have.

Chill out, you're acting like I killed your relatives or something. Its a map, a Wc3 map, and all you're doing is angrily nitpicking at info that doesn't exist or doesn't matter.

Level 27
The average zombie gamer isn't looking for a storyline, they're looking to kill zombies.
Moral of the story: Stop bitching about the storyline. He could have filled that slot with anything, as long as it includes the words "zombie" and "shotgun" and it will be the same exact gameplay.
The effects look nice, however, the gameplay isn't selling me so far. I mean, you say it will require strategy and such, but it doesn't seem all too much moreso than the other WC3 zombie survival games. Aside from the classes, how will strategy differ all that much?
--donut3.5--

Level 10
Is this guy for real? I can't tell whether he's serious about all this nitpicking or not.

-The ''tank'' is a heavily armored marine with a gattling gun. NOT AN ACTUAL TANK.
-Who said anything about grenades? Did you read the same post I wrote?
-How the fuck is this the setting of I Am Legend? This is the setting of every Zombie Apocalypse scenario ever, which is why the story is so weak (zombie apocalypse games need no story).
-I don't care about realism, alright? There's a flamethrower because its a splash Damage over time weapon, and it makes for another class with different skills.
-Blood is because I like special effects and zombie maps need gore. I never said it made it hardcore or better, I'm just saying there's a shitload of blood, something Wc3 maps don't usually have.

Chill out, you're acting like I killed your relatives or something. Its a map, a Wc3 map, and all you're doing is angrily nitpicking at info that doesn't exist or doesn't matter.

If you don't care, then I can't help you.

Level 10
I think 43berries is just angry that your zombie map is getting a better response then his. I've never seen his maps played on battle.net so if I were you I wouldn't be looking for help from him anyhow.... because I think what you are doing is good. It's what all zombie players want - a violent game about mass killing with the risk of getting overwhelmed.

The flamer is a good idea too, and despite what has been said it's probably the most appropriate weapon for killing zombies. Being undead doesn't mean shit, they need a body to move... and anything organic that is set alight is going to stop moving real quick.

I honestly think your scout class should have medic type abilities... in this kind of map new players can choose to forsake it if they die in the first 5 minutes (which is highly likely).... so just make sure one of the classes has some sort of heals at the very least.

The terrain looks far better then any of the current popular zombie maps played on b.net, so your already on a winner there. I'm currently working on a zombie-themed map myself (a bit of mass killing mixed in with zelda puzzle-style bosses) so once I get a few of the models complete if you like them I can pass some of them on for your use. The reason I'm saying this is because with my basic zombie I plan to give it an alternate form without legs so you can blast them off ingame.... which is something I think would suit your map ;)

Good luck with it... and don't worry bout negative criticism for your story because if people weren't willing to try different things we would be stuck with a rather dull world

The scout is an interesting class. It can only hit one enemy with its bullet, but usually does lots of damage.

As for abilities, it does have a bleeding shot ability to damage over time, but not only single target abilities. For example, there's an ability called ''Explosive Dart'' which basically sticks a small explosive charge in the zombie, which explodes and damages nearby enemies when the zombie dies. So he can very well defend himself against hordes of zombies.

New gameplay stuff:
Every level you gain a ''skill point'' (replaces wood as a ressource) which can be spent on upgrading damage, range or various skills. It will probably feature unlocking of extra abilities like explosive rounds for the tank or the sniper, enabling splash damage, or incendiary rounds (this ability is a definitive maybe, because there might not be space in the UI for it).

Stay tuned.

Level 8
I love you screenshots. I'm gonna be watching this as i haven't played a good survival in some time. And about the story it kicks ass.

Level 31
The scout is an interesting class. It can only hit one enemy with its bullet, but usually does lots of damage.

As for abilities, it does have a bleeding shot ability to damage over time, but not only single target abilities. For example, there's an ability called ''Explosive Dart'' which basically sticks a small explosive charge in the zombie, which explodes and damages nearby enemies when the zombie dies. So he can very well defend himself against hordes of zombies.

New gameplay stuff:
Every level you gain a ''skill point'' (replaces wood as a ressource) which can be spent on upgrading damage, range or various skills. It will probably feature unlocking of extra abilities like explosive rounds for the tank or the sniper, enabling splash damage, or incendiary rounds (this ability is a definitive maybe, because there might not be space in the UI for it).

Stay tuned.

If you consider to make a sniper, sniper would be useless since the scout able to do what the sniper does. Why not make scout capable to move faster and have longer sight ? Anyway, that is what scout do after all.

No.

There will be a priest. He will be armed with dual SMGs and a cape made of plasma-shielded armor. He will shoot mini rockets at 3000 rounds per minute and deal n+1 splash where n is over 9000. His abilities include rick rolling, summoning Chuck Norris and getting no kills whatsoever throughout the game.

Eh-hem, of course I mean Medic. :p

Level 8
It looks good, and if its balenced I don't really care about story. But still, its easy to come up with good zombie lore. I'm in a real life-ish RP forum (Cybernations News Reports), and currently my country is overran with zombies.

Of course, I'm not the regular gamer. I nver talk in 1337 chat, even in games like WAR. Hell, a person I RP with is so dang good RP'ing a zombie apocolapse (well, the smaller fights), that he could make a damn good book. He's 14. Here's an example:

Roxas stumbled slightly when the foundation of the building shook. Downstairs, a massive explosion had smashed the majority of one wall into dust and powder. The zombies on the floor were cut down by both debris and the explosion itself in varying poses of death. Of course, Roxas wasn't paying attention to this. Oh, no. He was busy stuffing his pockets with food and ammunition.

"Hey guys, we are LEAVING! Pack as much as you can, this is our shot to get out of here." The tired military personnel felt new life begin to course through their veins and yes, just maybe a bit of foolish hope. Priority was obviously given to ammunition, with food and water in second. Within half a minute the rag-tag Company was assembled and charging down the stairs, across the barrier.

Roxas led the charge with his sword slung low. He shouted something over the Tac-Com and was rewarded by a fusiliade of fire crashing into whatever monsters were still standing. It took him three massive strides to enter their midst. And after that, there was nothing but killing.

The Imperial Soldier hacked the legs of one zombie off at the knees. When it still kept trying to fight, Roxas kicked it onto its' back and crushed its skull with an armored boot. Meanwhile, the rest of the force had dashed downstairs to join the fight. Flashes of the scene drifted in and out of Roxas' focus, a horrific patchwork quilt telling the story of humanity's struggle.
Any normal person would have ran at the sight: two people, eyes glowing with hatred dashing in an all-out attempt to consume Kennedy. Bits of flesh and blood flew from their decaying mouths while they roared their contempt at the feeble living man. Rivers of the Crimson life substance flew out of various infected cuts and gashes on the rotting carcasses once called 'Human Beings'.

But Sylvester Kennedy was not a normal person.

His service pistol barked sharply once, twice. The lead maniac went down with half of his skull missing. But by then, Mr. Faraday had closed the distance and leapt bodily upon Kennedy. The veteran let his knees collapse from underneath him and Mr. Faraday flew overhead. Kennedy regained his feet and discarded the pistol. An uncontrollable rage filled him from head to toe.

'How dare they enter my home. How DARE THEY!' He thought to himself. Even if it was irrational to hate the dead, Kennedy tried. And he succeeded. The man ripped an exposed piece of metal out of the wall and swung it, bat-like, into Mr. Faraday's torso. The adrenaline-fueled blow buried itself deep into Faraday's ribcage. When Kennedy ripped it out, the Zombie lost his torso.

In a fit of rage, Kennedy punted the still thrashing head out the window.

He sank to the ground, sobbing uncontrollably. The only memory of Jane he had left was a picture left in a puddle of blood, below the window.

New Stage 1 pics. It looks great in motion, especially with the wind and rain droplet impacts on the ground.

{EDIT}
'Kay I need ideas for class abilities, except for the engineer. The classes are pyro, medic, sniper and gattling. Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Attachments

• ZOMBIES4.jpg
    ZOMBIES4.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited by a moderator:
Got to test the (very) Alpha version with DSG and Ghost7-something (sorry). Anyways, it gave me a good idea as to how the game should work.

-It should be slower
-Zombies need more health
-More. Blood.
-Sniper's bleeding shot should be a passive

I've actually got all the abilities and whatnot planned out now, so this map is close to beta. Then I just need to make tooltips... *shudders*.

Level 15
This map is ridiculously awesome. It looks gorgeous... seriously! And you get rep for your flawless formula of "Anything + Zombies = Awesome", because it's just SOOO true...

I can't wait to kick zombie ass.

And by the way... 43berries, as we pros say in Counterstrike: STOP WHINING. Seriously. You're complaining about things no one gives a flying turd about. Epic fail, man. Epic fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
This needs real shotgun voices and WILLTHEALMIGHTYs explosion effect models.
Big explosions, which send zombies fying in the air.

Screenshots look awesome.

This will be great.

And yea, its a shame how bad wc3s light engine actually is :(

This needs real shotgun voices and WILLTHEALMIGHTYs explosion effect models.
Big explosions, which send zombies fying in the air.

Screenshots look awesome.

This will be great.

And yea, its a shame how bad wc3s light engine actually is :(

I wish I could do that. I can't code a real shotgun, or a physics system.

But I am trying to make it so when the sniper critical hits a zombie, it does a headshot SFX. Basically, I tried copying Gears of War 2's headshots and it looks great.

I may need to get myself a coder.

EDIT: IllidanEvil(x) made those I think. I really need to ask him if he doesn't mind me using them. They're essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.