• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

You ask, we'll answer!

Level 12
yes ^^ if you ever have been playing Diablo II then you know the heal globe on each side of the screen. Right now im working on the same thing just with DGUI :D. I must say DGUI is a really effective. Sad that no one using it when submitting systems..

Level 11
I talked to the creator of DGUI and told him about the above problem with the double selection of units. And together we were able to find the solution by using different unittypes for everybutton. I planned to add some kind of special HUD that shows your current target/focus with its name, hp/mana and some additional infos.

Level 11
The name doesn't matter. Only the rawcode. don't use ccapital letters, cause they code a herounit. That means you gain a tooltip showing name/level of the button while hovering over it. Use lower case letters like but1, but2, but3...

Level 12
mhm the only problem with it is that i must take 20 screenshots with less health everytime pick those out of the picture set it in 20 new pictures. but i dont know how to make alpha in pictures so i cant right now. but i know it will work.. its just replacing a unit if the hp get less than 90% or something

Level 21
Thyrael, this is the *i don't know how much* time you don't listen to me.
For god's sake, I am not that n00b!
Of course I know those are units but you can add full, more than 2-lines-long tooltips to them by editing a file from the map, and not editing it in the editor!

Level 11
@ Slaydon, the issue occured while the button where neutral or enemy as well... It depends on the fact that the engine switches the selected unit, if the collison spheres of two units overlay each other... and i solved that problem by giving a unique unittype to every button.

@ Vercas, I never said you were an idiot. But what sense do static tooltips make? Cause the I would need a unittype for every possible spell/item I can put into the actionbar. And that simply would be to many... I don't want tooltips in the actionbar, cause in every fullscreen menu is a replica of the current actionbar and those bars have tooltips. Trust me, I quite thought a lot about that part :)

Level 1
Hi, i like the idea and im waiting for the beta. And i wanna now is this an open beta?

My other question goes to the others here. Would u like a database for this map? i mean something like this.

Level 11
This text is huge... so i don't have time to look at it all. Can you say me is this map gonna be on german langulage, or english?

First version will be in english. Maybe I will localize it after that, meaning having voice actors speaking the dialogs etc. And to your question about the releasedate... There is no release date yet. We are working on the demo, but it still needs some time. Take a look into the terrain showcase for screens out of the demo map.

Level 11
The problem is not having the systems running for MP, the problem is the limitation of 8mb. At least the hero model f.e. with around 70 animations takes ~ 800 KB without textures :) Further due to the fact you can't use gamecahes etc in MP the savesystem would require a code made out of around 300 digits to save every needed information for a single hero. And I doubt anybode want to type that string hrhr. A possible mp version woulb be having pre defined classes to choose from => only 1 talentree per hero. So you and your party can raid different dungeons and "transfer" your heroes between them. Again, this is only what is possible, not that what will happen to darkwind. At least not in close future.

Level 10
Hi thryeal, i know how to make for you model differnet faces whitout creating thousand textures, try to use double materials, first material (texture with face varation), Second replacable for armors (make sure you armor texture face are alpha) with this idea you able to create the races. Now i have another idea try to split your model to two peaces (Pelvis and Chest) and you won't need to create lot of textures, Sorry for my grama i hope you understand my idea. :)

Level 11
@Manoo my models allready use one texture for faces etc. and another for the testof the body :wink: And splitting the model into halfs would be bad, cause it will cause holes during the animations etc. Having some kind of robotic unit this way might work, but not with a living, biologic mesh/shape. Nevertheless thanks for your tips :thumbs_up:

Level 11
Hm, you are right. I will test it this way: creating the complete model in one file and animate it. But than exporting torso and legs in seperate mdx files. By that way the animations will automatically match in length and name. This will open nice new death animations like being cut into half :xxd: and much better: attacking while running :thumbs_up:

Level 21
Hm, you are right. I will test it this way: creating the complete model in one file and animate it. But than exporting torso and legs in seperate mdx files. By that way the animations will automatically match in length and name. This will open nice new death animations like being cut into half :xxd: and much better: attacking while running :thumbs_up:

That would be possible with one model too... :vw_unimpressed:
(Splitting the mesh?)

Level 11
Sure it can be done in one model, but than there is still the problem of needing hundrets of textures. For now I was able to have the hero being a combination of torso, legs, hands, head and cloak. Now I'm able to have a replaceable texture of each of these parts. In combination with the attachments it now looks very similar to WoW f.e. Further the hero now has animated hands with fingers. Not really needed, but looks simply better :)

@ vercas, indeed I'm creating the complete heromodel in one file. than I simple export the parts of it I want to have in a seperate model. And in the game they are plugged togehter again with there animations being synched.

Level 10
So i think my idea helped to you :D
Edit: but remember if you use ''attacking while running'' your animation can't move root or will be holes. If you use 2 stand animation, make sure root in all your stand animation vartions will be same, couse all model do stand animations in random. Or make stand animation do whit triggers. :)

Last edited:
Level 11
Yeah, I had that idea some while ago myself, but decided that it will fail. But thanks to you I did rethink how to create the needed models. And now it works.

The hero model will now be a combination of head, chest + arms, legs + feet, hands and cloak. By that way I can have a normal and a replaceable texture for every of those models/units. The problem with desynching animations was solved as well by writing a system that synchronizes them. So thanks to you.

Level 11
aehm, yes... that was the plan by using a headmodel :) And for the beta tester thingy, soon I'll open a thread where interested people can leave a post to apply as a beta tester.

Level 13
Can't and won't give out an ETA. But I can say we making good progress. Right now the terraining takes most of the time. Most of the systems can simply copy&pasted into the demo.

Awesome awesome awesome! awesome awesome awesome! You're geinus, just one thing, i think that fighting can be the problem, maybe it isn't gonna be fun, but that's because i have seen the video and it's small so, i can't tell you much, but what you think about an idea. To in triggers, pickevery tree on on map, and then, add grass arround it, not much for each integer about 3. It will lower the map size, then the slowing of WE, but in game it's gonna ROCK! And about the map, i think that awesome thing will be exploring the map, and, what you think about disabling minimap, and using a something like a map preview, i mean like when you activate a spell called map, the map will be showed on the center of screen. Another thing, what you think about when you get too close to the end of the map, to just move you somewhere to another place of the end of map, so you can travel forever :D, and are you gonna maybe use a an little terrain generator somewhere, it will be awesome cause you will be able to everytime when you play have a another terrain and that would be awesome, i have learned to animate, if you're gonna need an help about that, i can, just to say I am GMT +1 And my school is early in the morning, but PM me or answer here, I'll read :D :grin: Continue with work!

Level 11
Woah, long post:wink:

About your suggestion for placing the gras via trigger. You can't place doodads via trigger, only destructables. And destructables in large numbers will slow the map. That means things like vegetation will be placed as doodads in the editor.

Of course the minimap will be hidden in the demo (real game). And yes, after you managed to gain a map, you'll be able to via a fullscreen map with an indicator of your current position.

Every region in the gameworld will contain of at least one map. If you reach the borders of such a submap, you'll be ask if you want to travel to ne next map. That will unclude a small load time, but will give you a nice illusion of travalling a huge world.

And finally about your offering of help, maybe you can send me some examples of your work. DW models has a very special model style, mine style :grin: so I have to make sure, that all models will fit in right. Just send me some pics if you want to.

Nevertheless thanks for you suggestions.

Level 13
1. Yes i knew that, but i forgot that you it will slow, and that you will need to change all effects into the destruticbles
2. COOOOOOOOL
3. AWEEEEEESOMEEEEEEEEEE
4. Would do something now, but what model would i use to show you animations, i have an villager that uses his hand to pick up a secondary weapon from quiver and some animations like that, could make an animation now. I can't make a video, and picture would suck so i will send you a model.
5. LONG POST AGAIN :D
Edit : I remembered about a running and attacking, and that things, i am gonna make that animation :D I am not gonna use a an custom unit or anything just a swordsman, to show you how does it looks and works :D
Edit 2 : Do you have msn?

Level 10
Ye whit splited body you can make, then hero runing draws the weapon from back. I tried this look cool :)
Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxntx9Zm3Vo&feature=player_embedded your cape model look like a paper no emotions, try to use particales :)
And here's my map, it's action game, but look at rexxar his walking and attacking (Rexxar animations is from warcraft soo his root

Attachments

• BodyMovingTest.w3x
    330.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Level 11
Cause he used UMWS or RTC to create that map.

I tested it. Using a particel emitter for the cloak is a nice idea, but the new hero model, not that one you saw in the preview, has an animated cloak as well. So no need to recreate it with a particel emitter. And because I have my actionbar, I don't need to have the hero attacking by clicking the ground. You'll can click the actionbarbutton, or left/right click your selected target.

Level 10
It was example for attacking moving :D how it's look like :).
I'm little bit fan of your work, i like helping you :) maybe you need help whit models, couse very hard to create campaigns whith costom model :) Here's my model.

Attachments

• HumanModel.jpg
    HumanModel.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Level 11
@Manoo, I suggest, that you study some more anatomy. The upper body is way to streched. The arms are much to long. The muscleplacement on the upper arms is wretched. And plz don't get me wrong, but it looks like the try of a copy of the heromodel I made. Sorry, if I'm wrong.