• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

You ask, we'll answer!

Level 11
The camera works while moving up and down hills. It also changes its angle to give a good point of view up or down the hill. I will write a system that auto zoom in if the hero stands behind a wall or doodad. So the camera will zoom in or even switch to first person view and your hero will be visible all the time. That'll allow complete dungeons and enterable houses.

Level 11
No, the zoomfactor is fixed and can't be changed via mouse. It'll will autochange if something gets in the way between camera and herounit(as long as I get that script to work). In that case it'll zoom in, to keep the hero visible.

Level 14
will you have some cool system where the trees and doodads fade away if they're blocking the camera?

Level 11
No, the doodads won't dae out. The camera won't be blocked, cause it will detect if something is blocking the view and zooms in to avoid the blocking. I allready have a concept how that system should work and will soon test if it can be done the way I think. That will allow a smooth transfer from outside and interiorareas. No need to seperate them from the rest. You simple enter through the door :)

Level 14
No, the doodads won't dae out. The camera won't be blocked, cause it will detect if something is blocking the view and zooms in to avoid the blocking. I allready have a concept how that system should work and will soon test if it can be done the way I think. That will allow a smooth transfer from outside and interiorareas. No need to seperate them from the rest. You simple enter through the door :)

alright, how will the controls be for movement, clicking?

Level 11
I think it will allow both, arrowmovement and clicking. If you click on an object like a door or a herb, the hero will start moving to that position. If you click an item, your hero will move to that location and tries to pick it up and so on. But there won't be an autoattack like in wc3. That means your hero only fights an enemy if he got the order to do so. And he won't follow the mob. Further clickorder will only work while your hero is selected. So if you select another unit only the arrowmovement will work. In combination with the focustargetsystem this will come out fine I think. Remeber, left clicking a unit/target will store it as your spelltarget, rightclicking will store it as your attacktarget and starts attacking that unit/target. The Hero will Move to the location of the unit/target and begins the fight. If you haven't a attacktarget and a mob attacks you the mob will be stored as your attacktarget, but your hero won't fight back automatically.

Level 11
No, right now your hero will keep attacking the attacktarget until it or he dies, you rightclick another unit while your hero is selected or you simple run away. After casting a spell on your spelltarget, the hero will keep attacking the attacktarget if he did before.

Level 11
You can cast offensive spells only if you have choosen a spelltarget first. After you got a spelltarget you won't have to reselect it before casting a spell. Left clicking the actionbarbutton will be enough. If the target is valid, the spell will be casted. Otherwise an errormessage will be given. Right clicking always tries to cast on your hero. If that is possible the spell will be casted, if not an error is given. If you lost your spelltarget, f.e. it died your hero will be set as your spelltarget. The first mob that attacks you will become your next spelltarget. To change it again simply select another unit. I'm not sure if this was the answer you were looking for.

Level 7
Hello Thyrael. I was wondering, can u give me the secret of attachments... How do u make it so that u attach different pants or skirts to characters? Like for the mage outfit and the armors. U use Pants and Skirt... Can u tell me how you do it?

Level 11
My first contact with 3d moddeling was about 7 years ago. But I took several breaks until today. I'm not a pro skinner, but I'm training very hard to become better. Same for modelling.

Level 11
No, all the script done before 1.24 is still working. I haven't changed anything the last weeks to focus on the models and textures. But like I said, everything works as intended so far.

Level 11
Cause I made a portrait model merged with the hairattachment??! The portrait won't change while equipping different headgear. But I'm planning to create something like an additional HUD that'll also show the attack and spelltarget with information about hp/mp and an icon. Clicking on that HUD will also be allowed. The next step would be to find how to remove the wc3 standard HUD in lower center of screen. That would allow more screen to be free for gameview.

Level 2
Looks Awesome!!! i was just wondering, are you going to be able to use the WASD keys to move as well? because personally (especially if you are using the mouse for combat) i think it it way easier to be moving with WASD and clicking with the mouse then moving with the arrow keys and clicking with the mouse.
and also, do you have even a vague idea of when a beta/demo version will be released, and when it will be finshed? (just wondering)

Level 11
Looks Awesome!!! i was just wondering, are you going to be able to use the WASD keys to move as well? because personally (especially if you are using the mouse for combat) i think it it way easier to be moving with WASD and clicking with the mouse then moving with the arrow keys and clicking with the mouse.

It's not really possible to use the WASD keys for movement. Cause WC3 can only detects when those buttons are pressed, not when they are released. The movement will be done by by clicking right on the the ground or an object,f.e. enemy or a door. The arrow keys will be used for cameracontrol. Left and right will rotate the camera around your hero while up and down arrow will zoom in till almost firstpeson and out to a view like the standard WC3 view. Further the camera will detect if something is blocking the line of sight. In that case it zooms into automatically to give you the best possible angle of view.

Mattknight3 said:
...and also, do you have even a vague idea of when a beta/demo version will be released, and when it will be finshed? (just wondering)

No, absolutly no. There is still so much work to do. Currently I'm building the needed models for the demomap. Thoses demo will contain a single map with the basefeatures and some quests in it. Its kinda like a tutorial to give the player an overview of the features used in this game. Further it will give you a small preview of the story and introduces some of the maincharacters.

Slaydon said:
The Skin replacement, will it be able to change the UI?

Im not sure what do you mean by that question.

Slaydon said:
...and is the Casting bar system UI + some DGui?

The casting(action!?) bar is based on DGUI but I had to changed a lot and add even a lot more of stuff to get it working.

Level 11
You are talking about a custom Interface... Why not simple ask if there will be a custom interface?^^ But the answer is yes. I will add a custom interface. The first version using the humanUI was just for testing. It maybe will still be in the demo, but for the real game I'll create a custom one.

Level 2
So you move with the mouse and control camera with the arrow keys? okay, that makes way more sence. But will you be able to rotate the camera by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen, and zoom in and out with the scroll wheel? or do they have different uses?

Level 11
So you move with the mouse and control camera with the arrow keys? okay, that makes way more sence. But will you be able to rotate the camera by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen, and zoom in and out with the scroll wheel? or do they have different uses?

That's impossible by using a camera that can be rotated by 360°. The zoom function is fluid. That means no preset camera views. It's not possible to get the screen coordiates of the mouse I think. And even if, it won't make a huge difference to the game.

Level 1
hi, im new in this forum, and i want to know a few things about this great mod,

1. can Buildings be entered? (cause i saw a SS of a buildings that has a Small door..)
2. you say you want things to be very customisable, can names be changed ingame?
3. are you planning on creating a AI system? For allies and Foes..
4. if yes, Party system???
5. i know its not yet to this part, but are you gonna make bosses?
6. if yes, can it be killed by only Hank? =)
7. about skills and spells, how are they obtained?? (i mean when the game is finished)
8. will the shop be like Diablo, where everything is randomized?
9. about mounting, will you be able to battle while mounted?
10. have you added that animation to your currently created characters? hehe..
11. Chat system? are you gonna implement it? ( i mean when talking to NPC's)
12. if yes, how can you interact with NPC?
13. about the graphics.. are you gonna make it like warcraft, where you can see very far?
14. will battles be warcrafish? still the oldandlame hack&slash?
15. why is the 12button action bar separated from the belt bar? is 12 for skill that much needed?
( for classes like warrior,knight,rogue etc.... i mean, do they have that many skill to put on 12slot bar? )
16. how will the character Respawn when pawned?
17. about Gold,Lumber and Food.. what are you gonna do about it?
18. will you create a system to teleport to towns? =)
19. what is "-realistic physic engine"? could you explain abit
20. "-Interaction with your enviroment" how???

hehe.. i was just very curious, thanks

Last edited:
Level 11
1. can Buildings be entered? (cause i saw a SS of a buildings that has a Small door..)

Yes, there will be enterable buildings and complete indoor areas like dungeons.

2. you say you want things to be very customisable, can names be changed ingame?

You will be able to name your hero as you wish.

3. are you planning on creating a AI system? For allies and Foes..

The NPCs will use a complex system that simulates their life. That means, they will wander around the world and do their every day business. Like taking a walk to the market or go out for hunting and so on.

4. if yes, Party system???

Due to the fact that it will be single player no party with multiplayer will be added. At this very point I'm not planning to add a system like that to control NPCs.

5. i know its not yet to this part, but are you gonna make bosses?

Yes, heir will be many unique bosses to challange. Eachs require a special tactic. That should give the game a very interesting aspect.

6. if yes, can it be killed by only Hank? =)

The name Hank was just putted for testing purpose, but he got allready famous. Due to the fact that you are the hoer in this game it seems logical to me that you will fight and kill(if you are able^^) the bosses

7. about skills and spells, how are they obtained?? (i mean when the game is finished)

Skill/spells will be obtained by spending talentpoints in the different talenttrees.

8. will the shop be like Diablo, where everything is randomized?

The shops will be different from everything ever been there in any WC3 mod. Due to the fact that the items are randomized in stats and boni the shops will be randomized too, but not completly.

9. about mounting, will you be able to battle while mounted?

Yes, there will be mounts. Maybe even flying ones.

10. have you added that animation to your currently created characters? hehe..

No, those set of animations haven't been added to the models yet.

11. Chat system? are you gonna implement it? ( i mean when talking to NPC's)

Yes, there will be some kind of chatsystem. You'll be able to talk and interact with nearly every NPC in the world.

12. if yes, how can you interact with NPC?

Simply right a shop if you are in range to open the trademenu or click any NPC to open the dialog.

13. about the graphics.. are you gonna make it like warcraft, where you can see very far?

The gameview will be kind of 3rd person camera that can be zoomed by the player very easily. Its range can be set to any position between nearly 1st person and stadard game view.

14. will battles be warcrafish? still the oldandlame hack&slash?

No. Those elements will still be part but not the main aspect.

15. why is the 12button action bar separated from the belt bar? is 12 for skill that much needed?( for classes like warrior,knight,rogue etc.... i mean, do they have that many skill to put on 12slot bar? )

I think yes, it will be needed. Cause for now there are 63 different talents(more to come) to learn and more than 30 of them are active skills.

16. how will the character Respawn when pawned?

That information I will keep as my personal secret ^^

17. about Gold,Lumber and Food.. what are you gonna do about it?

I think I will use those frames to display different information. The game will use a coinsystem similar to that one in WoW where you have gold, silver and copper coins.

18. will you create a system to teleport to towns? =)

I planned something like that.

19. what is "-realistic physic engine"? could you explain abit

You'll be able to destroy most of the enviroment if you wish to. Further AOEs will effect their area. That means explsions will push back units and other smaller objects. And pushed back objects will knockout units they hit. Further will projectiles hit the first target in their path. This may be a wall or an enemy unit. Or even the ground.

20. "-Interaction with your enviroment" how???

You can interact with most of the objects in the gameworld by simply right click them. F.e. if you want to lockpick a closed door you just right click it(switching into stealthmode is strongly suggested^^) and your hero will walk to the door and starts the process.

I hope I could answer your questions. Thank you for your interest. If there are more questions, don't be shy let them out^^

Level 1
wow, i just saw the new screenies and i have some questions

1. Are all the creeps custom models to?
2. Will they have many custom animations too?
3. Who are helping you with your modeling? or is there a staff you have assembled to help you create this RPG?
4. Rough estimate how long do you think it would take for you to finish this game?

Level 11
wow, i just saw the new screenies and i have some questions

1. Are all the creeps custom models to?

Yes, or better at least I try to give all appearing creeps a custom selfmade model.

2. Will they have many custom animations too?

Due to the fact, that I make all models myself I won't use thinks like animationtransfers. So every model will be unique.

3. Who are helping you with your modeling? or is there a staff you have assembled to help you create this RPG?

Like Vercas allready said, I'm working together with Goldendemon as my terrainer. And in the later stage of development several betatester will join.

4. Rough estimate how long do you think it would take for you to finish this game?

Sorry, I can't give a release date out yet. Theres still to much to do. And i won't do the mistake some big game factories did by setting up a deadline^^ I better take some more time to bring something out that works instead of a rushed bugfilled version.

Level 11
I can't give out a date, cause I'm a full time student and the new semester just startet. I can't tell how time consuming it will be and how much spare time will be available for Darkwind.

Level 11
No, we will keep the team as small as possible. For now we are two german guys and there is no need to expand the team right now.