• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

You ask, we'll answer!

Level 2
Will there be a quest system and how will it work? Will it be similar to other RPGs or will you have an unique approach to it.

Level 20
the Texture swapping system, can it swap multiple textures, or can it only change one? meaning that is it possible to use a texture for head, chest, hands, legs, feet, arms, maybe necklace and swap only one texture? or do i need to do it the hard way, put one head with all different solutions, like robe, steel shoes, royal gloves and an amulet, and mix all these?

Level 11
naRna said:
Will there be a quest system and how will it work? Will it be similar to other RPGs or will you have an unique approach to it.

There isn't much new you can do to a quest system. It will still be kind of someone asks your for help, you do him the favor and get a reward for it. That is the base. But by doing quests you will become a part of the story. that means a quest will open another and another and so on. Further you won't be able to complete all quests, cause there will be faction ones too.

the Texture swapping system, can it swap multiple textures, or can it only change one? meaning that is it possible to use a texture for head, chest, hands, legs, feet, arms, maybe necklace and swap only one texture? or do i need to do it the hard way, put one head with all different solutions, like robe, steel shoes, royal gloves and an amulet, and mix all these?

The system works this way: the model uses a single replaceable texture for the chest, arms and legs. That means you need a texture for every possible combination of armour for chest and legs. That will end up in big number of textures, but its the only way to do this. Cause wc3 models can only have one replaceable texturepart at a time. To mae it possible to have different faces and such things, there will be different models. On those models there will be also the replaceable texture part.

Level 11
so, we can make a hovering head, hovering body, hovering hands, legs and mix the animations so they fit?

... No...There will be different version of the hero/npc model. and those version will only differ in the shape and texture of their heads. The rest of the body and teh animations are the same. But thats the only way to have such variations.

Level 21
The hair and face should be attached. For animations like smiles or talks, you could use triggers.
It requires just one hero model.
Or you could make the hero just a big bone model and attach anything to it.
This also gets rid of a lot, but really a lot of space.

Level 20
... No...There will be different version of the hero/npc model. and those version will only differ in the shape and texture of their heads. The rest of the body and teh animations are the same. But thats the only way to have such variations.

Is there a possibility to make some parts invicible, like we got 5 units, with 5 textures, and each having ONE body part visible

Level 11
Building a hero out of different units is possible, but it would look like shit, cause there will be holes between the models etc. My method works and it works perfect without any grafical flaws. And about the size of having different heromodels... it is a single player map => no size restrictions. And it won't be doanloaded via bnet. So... who cares?

Level 11
It will be, but not because of the multiple heromodels. The mainpart of data will be textures and custom sounds for speech.

Level 11
It is not a simple map. It is a campaign...or better a campaignfile with a nonlinear order of the maps. Cause when you leave an area, the next area will be loaded. All needed infoormations are stored in the campaign itself and not in every singel map. It won't be bigger or slower than the standard wc3 campaigns...

Level 6
I have some questions:
1. Is there gonna be puzzles in order to complete the quest or enter buildings?
2. Will you add jumping and climbing?
3. Will you add everyday actions like eating, drinking, going to the toilet(lol) and stuff?
4. Will there be date systems like: Today is 03-10-1467?
5. Will there gonna be events like Halloween or New Year?
6. Can the character argue with someone and fight for it?
7. Finishing Moves?
8. Amount of blood it has?
9. Will sometimes happen to NPCs like they get robbed or not there because they're at their honeymoon or something?
10. What classes it will have?
11. Death Traps?
12. Going to jail?
13. Got executed in jail?
14. List of Factions?
15. List of races?
16. Talents?
17. NPCs lying to you?
18. Challenges?
19. Gun equipping?
20. If so, aiming?
And done.

Level 11
Jargalhurts said:
I have some questions:
1. Is there gonna be puzzles in order to complete the quest or enter buildings?

There will be lots of quests and some of them require logical thinking.

Jargalhurts said:
2. Will you add jumping and climbing?

No climbing, but maybe jumping.

Jargalhurts said:
3. Will you add everyday actions like eating, drinking, going to the toilet(lol) and stuff?

Eating will recover your hp, drinking fills up your mana. But you won't have to eat at least one time per day to stay healthy.

Jargalhurts said:
4. Will there be date systems like: Today is 03-10-1467?

Not sure about that, but its a very nice suggestion :)

Jargalhurts said:
5. Will there gonna be events like Halloween or New Year?

Don't think so, cause the game won't take place in our world.

Jargalhurts said:
6. Can the character argue with someone and fight for it?

You'll be able to interact with npcs in different ways.

Jargalhurts said:
7. Finishing Moves?

Not really finishing moves, but different weapons/spells will trigger different death animations of your enemies. An axe for example will cut an arm or the head, while a sword will slice the target into 2 pieces.

Jargalhurts said:
8. Amount of blood it has?

There will be blood, thats sure.

Jargalhurts said:
9. Will sometimes happen to NPCs like they get robbed or not there because they're at their honeymoon or something?

Thoses features will require a lot of work to do.NPCs will do their everyday buisiness like going to the market.

Jargalhurts said:
10. What classes it will have?

There won't be fix classes. You are free to chose your talents out of 9 different talenttrees. Thoses trees have names and hold skills that fit to that type of class. By skilling into more than one tree you automatically generate custom classnames. F.e. skilling into mage and warrior will give the result of a battlemage.

Jargalhurts said:
11. Death Traps?

Not sure what you are meaning, but in dungeons there will be traps.

Jargalhurts said:
12. Going to jail?

Maybe.

Jargalhurts said:
13. Got executed in jail?

Don't think so

Jargalhurts said:
14. List of Factions?

Not completetd yet, but it will be at least three of them

Jargalhurts said:
15. List of races?

For the first version only humans will be playable. But you'll be able to play as male or female.

Jargalhurts said:
16. Talents?

For now there are 144 unique talents devided into 9 individual talenttrees.

Jargalhurts said:
17. NPCs lying to you?

Maybe in later versions.

Jargalhurts said:
18. Challenges?

There will be events that effect the whole gameworld.

Jargalhurts said:
19. Gun equipping?

Yes, you'll be able to equip bows, crossbows, guns and wands as ranged weapons

Jargalhurts said:
20. If so, aiming?

No aiming, simple hit attackbutton to shoot your target

Level 6
I got more:
1.Looting?
2.Game Ending?
3.Professions?
4.Marriage of Dating?
5.Class specific items?
6.Example of a cool boss?
7.Become a ghost if you die?
8.Choosing Good or Bad?

Level 11
Jargalhurts said:
I got more:
1.Looting?

Yes, there will be kin dof looting. Mobs and bosses can drop items. Sometimes more than only a single piece.

Jargalhurts said:
2.Game Ending?

Won't be revealed now, but it is planned to have 3 different endings

Jargalhurts said:
3.Professions?

Yes, there will be professions:Blacksmith, Leatherworking, Tailoring, Srciptor(creates scrolls and enchantments), alchemy, cooking, mining, skinning and herbalism. May sem kinda wow'ish, but I don't care as long they are nicely made.

Jargalhurts said:
4.Marriage of Dating?

Don't know what you mean^^

Jargalhurts said:
5.Class specific items?

No, theoretically your hero can wear every kind of item. But f.e. the different armour types, cloth, leather and plate require strength. Further every piece of armour reduces your movement speed. Strength reduces this malus. By that way a mage thinks twice if he wears full plate or better switches to cloth.

Jargalhurts said:
6.Example of a cool boss?

Not now :)

Jargalhurts said:
7.Become a ghost if you die?

won't be revealed

Jargalhurts said:
8.Choosing Good or Bad?

Yes, your behavior will effect the gameworld and also the manner NPCs react to you.

Level 6
I think his thinking of fable, you can marry ppl and they will give you stuff, amirite Jargalhurts? :cgrin:
Well, i never played fable and i thought that this map will have more features than WoW and i thought about it. At least some LOAPs have marriage system. And more questions :grin::
1.Robbing other Players?
2.Bounty for Players?
3.You hadn't told about going to tioilet
4.Possible Size of the map?
5.Hardest to do thing in the map?
6.Skin color Modifying?
7.Staying in Hospital or other place for injury? (i know it sounds dumb)
8.Sleeping?
9.Auction Houses?

And no more questions.

Level 20
Well, i never played fable and i thought that this map will have more features than WoW and i thought about it. At least some LOAPs have marriage system. And more questions :grin::

im just telling you that wow spent years on making it, and if there gonna be more systems, it will take ages, and a campaign where your goal is very high usually never gets finished, but you can accomplish that if you make alot of patches and a beta, since then there is good time and etc..

(Just helping you out a bit Thy. :p)

Level 11
Jargalhurts said:
1.Robbing other Players?

It will be single player but you'll be able to lockpick doors and chests and pickpocketing npcs.

Jargalhurts said:
2.Bounty for Players?

Like I said: SP

Jargalhurts said:
3.You hadn't told about going to tioilet

Next question pls...

Jargalhurts said:
4.Possible Size of the map?

Not sure about it, but the demo will be about 8-15mb I think, the real game can go easily behind 100mb

Jargalhurts said:
5.Hardest to do thing in the map?

The needed models. Cause I need a lot of them and all of them where designed for this game. Cause they need special animations and attachmentpoints etc.

Jargalhurts said:
6.Skin color Modifying?

No, but you'll be able to choose out of 3 faces for male and female and 10 hairstyle for each gender.

Jargalhurts said:
7.Staying in Hospital or other place for injury? (i know it sounds dumb)

Nice idea, but I no.

Jargalhurts said:
8.Sleeping?

Yes, but not neccessary.

Jargalhurts said:
9.Auction Houses?

You'll be able to trade your goods in the common way by selling/bying at shops and vendors.

@Slaydon: thanks for trying helping me out :)

Level 11
I won't release the script before the game is complete and released. But I can say you, its based on the famous DGUI made by Ashujon. I added several funtions an features and now it works like the actionbar you maybe know from WoW.

Level 11
to terrain the full world wouldn't be easy too ...^^

Theoretical we coulsd start terraining with the standard wc3 doodads, but it won't fit the allready made models. so I have to create tones of doodads to create a game world that matches the quality of the charmodels. And I'm sure that you will be able to do the job hrhr

Level 20
are you done with gamecaching the inventory?

the spell casting thing, where you place the spells, is it trackables on the slots? If yes, how do you manage to move the trackables?

are you aware of the vjass in campaign will do alot to the campaign, but if you trigger stuff from the campaign editor it will stay :>, thats basicly a tip, but you need map stuff to place and use vjass, just to make sure you havent ruined it, since making vjass in campaign is somewhat hard

3 questions, thanks for your time :>

Level 11
1. Not even started :)
2. trakables can't be moved, the buttons are units
3. thanks for advince. If done right vJASS can be used in campaigns without any problems.

Level 20
1. I could give you my script for it if you want (Game cache)
2. May i give you an advice, if possible you know if you CTRL-1 ingame, and press 1 while selected a unit, you will select the unit, if possible you can do that ctrl 1 thing via triggers, and if you get it to work, can you give me the code? :p

Level 12
actually i though this project were dead, because you have been working on it really long and normaly people loses their interest maybe after 1-5 months or something.. Thats why their is really few well-made RPGs but i think you had a good plan with creating all the needed systems first then the terrain.
Thyrael.. If the "buttons" are units then how do you manage to detect a hovering and display the text of the item?

I love those features and its not just something you say, you actually made them!
Good luck in the future with this project :). Btw what is the % progress ?

Btw: i made a action bar like you :p im really inspired by your works so you made me study DGUI - and im thanking you for that

Level 11
Nice idea, but it won't work. The buttons in the actionbar are different from those in the fullscreenmenus. Those are trackables covered by units and the mouse events are caught by the trackables. The actionbar ones are units and the mouseclicks are selection/oder events. The attached spells/items don't exist really, they are coded and attached to the buttonstruct. To have individual tooltips for every spell in the actionbar I would have to add a unittype for every type of spell/item that can be draged into the bar. That would allow to have several buttons holding the same spell/item. And that will cause an nasty issue with the hardcode of wc3. Everybutton needs his on unittype, otherwise the game won't select the correct button while spamming.

Level 12
Everybutton needs his on unittype, otherwise the game won't select the correct button while spamming.

Thats why it keeps casting both holy light and divine shield when i only click on divine shield! thanks ;)

btw im thinking of using trackables aswell. You can place everything on the screen with DGUI. but it would be much easier if their was a on-hover function with units ;/

Level 11
btw im thinking of using trackables aswell. You can place everything on the screen with DGUI. but it would be much easier if their was a on-hover function with units ;/

Thats the reason why I use units+trackables for the fullscreenmenus and only units for the actionbar :) By that way I can use hover + click for the menus to show up tooltips/mark/use etc. an item.