• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

XANID (The Platformer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't my graphics be on high, there's no reason for Warcraft 3 to lag.

It might be a problem with your graphics card. I have the same problem, but I've learned to just live with it. I experienced similar problems when I played Silkroad on my old computer so I assumed this was the same thing. (Except it is odd because anything before the T demo worked fine) =P

I've just tested, and it's brilliant.. although still needs a small polyshing.. you should add a blood splash effect when he's hit or something.

cause turning invisible for a sec doesn't really make sense..

or maybe, just make him turn red instead of invisible.. or something..

Level 10
If Xanid has any sort of health management, I suppose there needs to be some sort of indicator. If it just works off of a life system, there also needs to be some sort of indicator.
Otherwise, I really liked the game and it's style, I can't wait to see what other levels may look like (I'm anticipating some cool shit alongside the standard factory background/surroundings).

Someone like you should put forth a platformer tutorial. It would be quite awesome.

Level 5
I've fixed, fixed, fixed, fixed, and fixed object collision. With each new feature I added like 3 bugs appeared. Now I think I've finally finished that part.

Currently having problems with air vents. It's the wind particle emitter that's killing me:
tailproblem.jpg
I don't know if that can be fixed. And for those who can't see what's wrong: The whole wind disappears when it's source is out of screen.

---

There will be four (aqua, earth, frost, thunder) bosses plus the final boss.

Aqua -> Earth -> Frost -> Thunder -> Aqua

That is the order you beat them. Doesn't sound that logical, but I've really found awesome ways how for example frost can beat thunder. But there is one thing I didn't think of. There is a cycle. I need to break it. There has to be way to defeat each boss without any upgrade. That's giving me a headache. I can't ask any of you to help me with it as I don't want to reveal anything, just wanted to say.

If Xanid has any sort of health management, I suppose there needs to be some sort of indicator. If it just works off of a life system, there also needs to be some sort of indicator.
Otherwise, I really liked the game and it's style, I can't wait to see what other levels may look like (I'm anticipating some cool shit alongside the standard factory background/surroundings).

Someone like you should put forth a platformer tutorial. It would be quite awesome.
Some sort of health management there will be. I just don't know how I want to display its hit points yet.

I don't know if that can be fixed. And for those who can't see what's wrong: The whole wind disappears when it's source is out of screen.
it's because of the model. It has some sort of camera bounds. I think you can increase it
via magos. If you dunno where, I can try to find out, since I almost know where it is.

Level 5
Not really. As summer started, I've been busy as hell.

Usually it's that people have time to work on maps on summer time, but I have it the other way around. I don't have much time.

Level 5
I'm not dead.

About a week ago I started working on this again. To get some sense into this project, I had to get rid of a lot stuff.

So what have I been doing:

- Abandoned idea of any kind of story
- Changed gameplay from non-linear open-ended to linear level style
- Removed all enemies except Yellige, added few new ones
- Fixed and optimized a lot codes (Found out that a lot of my core codes were buggy as hell)
- Added 'Restart Level' button to pause menu

That's the biggest stuff.

Hi.

Level 5
Nearly all the enemies codes were incomplete, so I decided to remove the codes. Then I thought I need more different enemies. I'm not saying none of the old enemies are coming back, I loved Medutricites.

I removed story, because I don't have much time to work on this, and adding story elements to the game really just takes too much time. I don't know. Maybe I'll add some sort of story. Not now, at least. I just want to create simple platforming game currently.

Level 1 will get here on next week.

Level 5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

New Features:
- Added timer to top right corner to display time spent on level.
- Added doors and levers (lever can be used with down arrow key when near it).

Gameplay Changes:
- Recovery time added to enemies.
- Recovery time halved (flickers only once).
- "XANID" bounces off of enemies even when recovering (no damage taken).

Bugs:
- Fixed walls disappearing near screen edge.
- And fixed a lot more (I'd like to mention a bug where you died and got control of enemy object).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please test it and leave a comment. Thank you!

Good God! it's back!

I still promised you a loading screen, although I've deleted the old drawing, due to the fact I had to clean my computer and that I didn't heard any news from this project :\

anyhow, I could make you a new one if you really asking for it.. and I might have an idea or two that doesn't have to do with the story mode, that would work with a text too.. blablabla

still need to test that map

Level 5
Maybe some powerups would be good.
I can't think of any. But I thought of adding some sort of "coins" you can collect.

Good God! it's back!

I still promised you a loading screen, although I've deleted the old drawing, due to the fact I had to clean my computer and that I didn't heard any news from this project :\

anyhow, I could make you a new one if you really asking for it.. and I might have an idea or two that doesn't have to do with the story mode, that would work with a text too.. blablabla

still need to test that map
Aaa! It's the gobbooolin! Hi :)!

Glad you remembered. Though I read somewhere you're busy with something so I really can't ask that of you, but if you ever have time and want to do it, I would appreciate it very much.

Level 14
I tested the level and I'd recommend you to use a smaller variety of enemies. It's just too complex for level one. The first enemy you encounter is a sludge - but it drops from above without warning, making it a more difficult foe. The second one also drops from above. Later on you encounter some sort of spikes and never see them again. Last, but not least, those spiders are not intuitive -- it took me some time to realise that the web doesn't hurt me. Oh, and the spider infront of that door was placed in a impossible position, thought this can be just me.

Just make the level more intuitive, and keep the foe's ratio the same. Otherwise, awesome project. :)

Level 5
I tested the level and I'd recommend you to use a smaller variety of enemies. It's just too complex for level one. The first enemy you encounter is a sludge - but it drops from above without warning, making it a more difficult foe. The second one also drops from above. Later on you encounter some sort of spikes and never see them again. Last, but not least, those spiders are not intuitive -- it took me some time to realise that the web doesn't hurt me. Oh, and the spider infront of that door was placed in a impossible position, thought this can be just me.

Just make the level more intuitive, and keep the foe's ratio the same. Otherwise, awesome project. :)
There are 3 types of enemies.

The sludges just move forward until they meet a wall. Killed by jumping once on them.

Gliders (aka spikes) drop down when you come near (depending on your speed) them. They cannot be killed. And there's more of them in the end of the level.

Third enemies are those spiders, and they die from two jumps on top of them. And that spider in front of the door is in perfectly good position, you can wait for it to come down and jump on top of it to get through the door. Or kill it and jump straight there. Whatever you like.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll see what I can do to make it more "Level 1"-like.

Level 14
Maybe you could include some hints in the game? Like the ones you get when you acquire a new unit during the WCIII campaigns.

Sludge

Sludges are foes that walk forward until they hit a wall. Can be killed by jumping once on top of them.

Gliders
Gliders hang on the ceiling until you come under them. When you are in their range, they fall on the ground, causing damage. Cannot be killed.

Spiders
Spiders hang on the ceiling until you come under them. When you are in their range, they will prolapse. Their web does not do damage and they can be killed by jumping twice on top of them.

Level 14
It's unfortunate that you're at the mercy of War3's limited arrow controls, but this is the best platformer I've seen in War3 to date. Very nice physics. My problems with it where not having a life bar and flickering background textures (sometimes obscuring the view). I noticed that you can 'puddle jump' if you're in water by mashing the jump key, which lets you travel across the surface of shallow water very quickly.

Level 5
It's unfortunate that you're at the mercy of War3's limited arrow controls, but this is the best platformer I've seen in War3 to date. Very nice physics. My problems with it where not having a life bar and flickering background textures (sometimes obscuring the view). I noticed that you can 'puddle jump' if you're in water by mashing the jump key, which lets you travel across the surface of shallow water very quickly.
Yeah well, I'm quite satisfied with WC3, sometimes it's driving me crazy, though. There's a workaround for almost every limitation I've faced. Life will be displayed somehow in next version (it's the most important thing to get this rolling). Should that "puddle jumping" be removed, I find it very cute it trying to stay on surface :D?

Thanks a lot for testing and feedback!

Level 5
Oh, dude
It is amazing *_*
I have so much fun playing it. And the first my thing was "Is it rlly warcraft 0_o?" Nice physics (water etc)
Thanks for testing and comments!

Does it have the custom music still?
Not yet. I don't think it's required yet, because at this point it only increases filesize. And I haven't yet got time to give a single thought for what kind of music I'd like to have here. :)

I just got a master plan that can fail horribly. I might be able to create moving platforms after all.

AoC

AoC

Level 2
I remember playing the earlier version, good to see your still updating. Awesome project, hope it finishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.