• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
D I A B L O
I I I​

Go here for download!

Fast paced Hack'n'Slash with many references
to the Diablo III Gameplay Trailer

○ Physics
○ Custom Projectile System (e.g. evadable ranged attacks)
○ Smooth Camera System
○ Creep Spawn System (with some Randomization)
○ Random Drop System
○ Custom Item System (a simple one)
○ 3 Different Difficulties - Easy, Normal and Hell
○ Difficulty System (Difficulty scales with the Player number)
○ 3 Heroes: Barbarian, Wizard and Witch Doctor
○ Custom abilities that are all enhanced via vJASS
○ Abilities scale with the heroes' damage
○ 21 Weapons with a special on-attack effect
○ Difficulty depending on the player amount
○ Good performance in terms of frame rate
○ Very entertaining combat overall and a huge boss fight
○ Gore

- playable with up 3 players -

Recruitment
Searching for:
A Texturer for skins (also tile sets) and icons.
A Modeler for some model editing or creating.

Project Leader: Na_Dann_Ma_GoGo
Terrain: Syltman (and co-manager for a lot other stuff)
Modeling: None / Hiring

This project started about a year ago during winter when I decided to finally get my hands on a
Diablo III map. About 2 Month ago Syltman joined the 'team' to help out with the terrain and he's
given tons of other suggestions already. This map shall concentrate on a fast paced Hack'n'Slash
gameplay that fits the Diablo universe.

Notes:
Please take this map as an other alternative to CloudWolfs map and not a challenger.
It differs a lot from that one anyways :)

Now I'll try to answer probably upcoming questions:

Will there be a monk?
We may add a monk later on, however I'm not really confident with the model by Taylor
because the animations look awkward and it's look differs quite a lot from the normal
Wc3 units.

Will you add your own paths or is this just a rebuild from the Gameplay Trailer?
We first try to achieve a terrain resembling the trailer and when done with that there definitely
will be other routes and more stuff to explore.

Will you add additional abilities to the heroes?
Perhaps, in future more will be added. Right now the 3 heroes got 5 Skills each which allow for a lot replayability.

Will there be an Item System similar to Diablo III Warcraft?
No. In my opinion a map like this doesn't need something complicated as what D3 Wc3 currently has.
The system in this map shall ease the picking up etc. I think an extra UI is just overkill for this.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

001.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

Alpha 1.0c - 04.18.2010
-Added Selection System
-Fixed Pathing issues
-Heroes no more auto acquire targets
(requires you to manually attack creeps)

Alpha 1.0d - 04.21.2010
-Changed selection mechanics
-Fixed further pathing issues
-Made it much easier / more balanced

Alpha 1.0e - 04.21.2010
-Fixed the corruption issue of the map

Release 1.0 - 07.25.2010

-removed selection system from Alpha 1.0c

-added Difficulty Settings
-added some music
-added a hint system
-added Dan van Ohllus Barbarian Model
-added more item types (6 now, one for each slot)

-huge balance overhaul

-a lot pathing improvements especially at bridges
-better formula for item drops
-bug, glitch and abuse fixes
-generally a lot polishing work done

Version 1.0a - 07.26.2010
-made tooltips less colorful
-minimap is now hidden by an image
-item drop rate increased (slightly)

Thanks to the following 3 communities:
HiveWorkshop.com -:- thehelper.net -:- Wc3c.net

Code Ressources:
Jesus4Lyf -:- emjlr3 -:- Vexorian -:- Rising Dusk

Icons:
Destructor -:- X.e.r.e.X -:- Paladon -:- DevineArmy

Modeling / Skinning:
CloudWolf (extra thanks for the tile sets he provided us!)
Cavman -:- Mr.Goblin -:- shamanyouranus -:- Cycloverid
debode
-:- GeneralFrank -:- xXm0rpH3usXx -:- olofmoleman
MC!
-:- Chriz. -:- iNfraNe -:- Illidan(Evil)X -:- The_Silent
JetFangInferno
-:- Kitaba -:- dansaDisco -:- Tranquil
sc_freek
-:- HappyTauren -:- Nasrudin -:- PGRU-Unexpected -:- Amigurumi -:- Boneknight
WILL THE ALMIGHTY -:- Dan van Ohllus

Music
Blizzard -:- Youssef Goezoum (The Army - search it on YouTube)

Also thanks everyone who gave feedback or played the map with me :)

Last edited:
Level 8
Well I know about this as well as I know about the Wc3c Diablo III map which will be overwhelming if ever released. Yet you can take my map as another choice of variety, especially since it plays different.

Edit:
Changed the test map, you better download the new version. Again, it is just a map to show off some abilities, some creeps and most important the fast paced hack'n'slash :)

Edit2: Seems like I can introduce the new Terrainer 'Syltman' :)

Last edited:
Level 18
Sorry but terrain looks like a bad replica of Wc3DiabloIII...
I played with the wizard and unless thousand pounder has magic immunity I think the red laser dont deal damages.

Level 8
Terrain isn't done at all at that test map (terrainer just approached (after that testmap)) and disintegrate should deal damage. Did you click on the TP when you had it activated? Or play around with the angle. It may look like you hit him but actually don't because the beam has it own height and the isometric view does his part.

Whatever, just a preview, no beta status yet ;)

Level 15
Dann, I've tested the previous version of your map (still have it, too) and I think you should really work on it, because I seriously enjoyed playing the test map. VERY fun.

Level 8
Woah, thanks for the feedback all. Videos seem to work :D

@ CloudWolf Thanks for the offer man, I may come back to this. ^^

@ Sheephunter I'll release an updated demo soon. I'm not sure about the camera bugging. It 'may' have to do with with low performance computers whose FPS become too low. It then messes up. But i'll see about it.

Edit: I tested the map on my older PC now and it's running with about 40fps mostly. That's of course still playable. I suggest using /fps to show the frames per second and if they drop below 20 or so it possibly messes up. Which has to do with the camera trigger. But I already reworked it a bit and we'll see in the next demo version :)
I'm trying to increase performance everywhere possible, may it be terrain or triggers since I hope it will be playable smooth on many systems.

You know, the second video you posted in the description is "meaningless", because you just set the attack type to "artillery", there is no triggering, it's just blizzard's artillery system

That's wrong. The projectiles are all triggered and work differently than blizzards projectiles when used with the "artillery" setting.

-Blizzards artillery projectiles always fly towards the position the unit is running to (which may be good or bad, depending on your personal AI preferences)
-they always land on the feed (ground) and aren't targeted on the chest for example
-they deal aoe splash damage which mine don't
-they can't stop mid air when they actually hit an enemy at that time (though not entirely sure about this)
-they always have an arc and cannot fly straight (and the artillery line stuff or how it is called has similar issues that I already mentioned here)
-they cannot be slowed down like shown with the time bubble by the wizard

Level 12
first when i saw this map i throught like: hm another d3 map, i think this project will die.. but then when i see your projectile system, backnocking corpses, slow missile bubble then i think: a coder who knows what he is doing :wink:

Btw is this coded in jass/vjass ? if so do you use parabola function.. if not then use it :) is it ok if i make a corpse knockback system similiar to urs ? i dont steal urs ( i havent even downloaded it yet ) i just think that it is an amazing idea! keep up the good work and dont give up ;)

Level 8
Uhm the updated demo will come out tomorrow.

@ Catch_ya
It is all coded in vJASS however I don't really do super complicated stuff to be honest. I'm not comparable to many other coders and my physics are kept on a basic level.

If you want a knockback with a parabola I suggest you simply use phsysics.
For a leap you can use this to determine the height s= Vo*t+(0.5a)t² for example. I got them out of school-book for formulas.

The map is kinda protected by the way, so you won't be able to get s.th. from there.

Edit: On a last note, you won't see that strong physics at the start of the map as you aren't strong at the beginning. The knockback that's applied on the spells grows with your damage and thus your level / items. For the trailer I just cheated a bit ;)

Level 12
well since i dont have such math yet i dont know what Vo / t / a is could you explain me it to me -.-? i also have a math formular book but it dont think it contains such stuff..

so your formulars are based on the damage aha ;)

Level 8
JASS:
library ParabolaZ

function ParabolaZ takes real y0, real y1, real d, real x, real h returns real
        local real H = RMaxBJ(y0,y1)+h
        local real A = (2*(y0+y1)-4*H)/(d*d)
        local real B = (y1-y0-A*d*d)/d
        return A*x*x + B*x + y0
    endfunction

endlibrary

y0 = start Z
y1 = end Z
d = Max Distance
x = Current Distance
h = Arc(The bigger this value, the bigger the Arc is)

Level 8
Mehh screw this. I wanted to test the demo with Syltman before releasing it but as he doesn't respond to me I'm jut gonna add it to the first post again.

If you have issues regarding the camera please use the command /fps to show your frames per second so I know whether that could be the issue.

Note: This demo will not include the wizards time bubble spell, as I gotta keep some cool stuff 'til release or beta ;)

Wow just checked out your project again. I have to say, you have really improved the stuff. The spells and events is just amazing. I love the effects with the units falling down.
One of the only things this map really needs is some better terrain. A few parts of the terrain looks cool, but the cliffs and the tiles really kills it all. Your terrain experience is nice, you just need to work with imported cliff texture and custom tiles too. I hope to see more from you, this is really amazing. Maybe you someday could have Cloudwolf to learn from you ;)

Level 8
It is not possible to work on his map because it has to be ENTIRELY redone and I sure have a different opinions on what I want and what not.
Everything had to be redone, and I mean everything. Imports / Object Editor / Terrain (too laggy/too many destructables instead of only doodads I guess) / no Monk (as the current model doesn't fit and has many issues) and well of course all scripts, which would be the easier part as I could simple copy all of them.

But as you see there's no real point on working on their map. Rather a terrain overhaul in my project would be appreciated. So I'd need to work with CloudWolf who could cooperate with Syltman on the terrain and... well I don't really need someone else of their team, as I do the coding stuff all on my own. I wanna note though, that I'm just decent at vJASS and these physics are actually quite easy once you get into it (however it took me forever to get where I'm now).

But I doubt CloudWolf would leave his team and join me and he's got a second project going on anyways.

Texturer/Modeler are always appreciated btw :D

Level 14
Wow just checked out your project again. I have to say, you have really improved the stuff. The spells and events is just amazing. I love the effects with the units falling down.
One of the only things this map really needs is some better terrain. A few parts of the terrain looks cool, but the cliffs and the tiles really kills it all. Your terrain experience is nice, you just need to work with imported cliff texture and custom tiles too. I hope to see more from you, this is really amazing. Maybe you someday could have Cloudwolf to learn from you ;)

With no texturer or modeler I can't do much more. If CW allows us to use the tiles and cliffs they have in D3W then it will be alot better.

Level 5
at first i think the arrows must fly in a line and not in a bend...^^
...then i think the arrows are slowlyer and make more other enemys the can/musst block you...so you cant run away from the arrows...^^
...its my idea...^^
but your system is anyway good...^^

Level 8
at first i think the arrows must fly in a line and not in a bend...^^
...then i think the arrows are slowlyer and make more other enemys the can/musst block you...so you cant run away from the arrows...^^
...its my idea...^^
but your system is anyway good...^^

That has actually little to do with the projectile system. Why shouldn't there be curved lines (I btw. got straight ones as well, currently on the summoner)? It imo looks better when archer shoot in a more realistic way.
And more enemies blocking so that the projectiles more often hit... uhm. Why? The sense of the customized projectiles is that they're avoidable. If you don't concentrate on avoiding them they will hit you more frequently and if you're surrounded by ghouls you have no chance to avoid em by just walking.
I don't really get the point there ;P

Level 8
Well its just something you may consider in the future that Diablo III Warcraft didn't add yet....maybe only cause the "first" skill to be effected.....on the other hand keep up the great work. I'll look forward to future versions. If you need ideas for epic boss battles feel free to ask.

Level 24
Blaze bird please use less "..." in your posts. And actually I ment currently the heroes can get surrounded and unless they free themselves (obviously blink / leap or by killing units) they will be hit.

@ Hermit
I took well care of that not happening!

First rule in maps that use blink and have a superior terrain pattern !

But you did a great job,props :thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.