• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 49
There. Invisible platforms - scaled up 1.5x, 2x, 3x, 4x and 8x and hopefully their corresponding pathing textures(didn't check it in game - what I did is to take the 4x4 unbuildable pathing texture, the Circle of Power one, and scale it up to 150%, 200%, 300%, 400% and 800% in Photoshop - I'm not even sure it will work right).

Attachments

• Inivisble Platforms.rar
    3.7 KB · Views: 27
Level 8
And where do you set the camera height? With SetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_ZOFFSET,...) or?
That's more or less what I do. Pretty similar to your way.

JASS:
call MoveLocation(LOC,UNIT_X,UNIT_Y) // position of the centered unit
call SetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_ZOFFSET,GetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_ZOFFSET)+GetLocationZ(LOC)+GetUnitFlyHeight(UNIT)+135-GetCameraTargetPositionZ(),0.00)
// the +135 is used to distance the camera further from the unit.
// Else the field of view is too little and doesn't fit the diablo style
// And well I use GetCameraTargetPositionZ() instead of EyePositionZ()
// This works kinda flawless to me
// I'm just not sure what is causing the camera to shake when I move the
// unit when having below about 25fps

Edit: Uh I'm sorry debode but as I posted in my last post I don't need them anymore :/
@I'll have a look at your system YourNameHere

Edit2: Also I'll take a break now. All that camera stuff is driving me crazy :X

Level 18
I looked at the projectiles system that is demonstrated in your YouTube video (correct me if its been updated) and there are a few things that I noticed.

1. Dodging projectiles (which is demonstrated after the default WarCraft III projectiles) can be done when a mortar team, or any other siege unit attacks, and you can mimic this effect on all projectiles.

2. When you "slow-time" on your projectiles you seem to decrease their velocity, but the gravitation still pulls them down at the same rate, causing their target to change. Acceleration (or however you calculate gravity) must be multiplied by the time-scale squared, since acceleration units are m/s².

Level 8
Nah the the negative acceleration is also slowed down. You should see that in the video as well. I calculate the height position explicitly and each callback I increase the passed time value. If inside the time bubble I add a lower value.

But yeh as I said. Even in the video it shows that.

Regarding the mortar (artillery in general) attack. I've already posted 2-3 times about this. And sorry but I'm a bit too lazy to search through this thread to find the posts.

Level 8
Its funny how people still like to post random stuff just for the sake of posting. Berbanog first of all the mortar team projectile cant be controlled in any way so it is completely out of the question and for second when slowing down their velocity he slows down the rate of which they fall down(as you say gravity) so its actually just as it should be.

For your camera issues take a look at this. Never failed me no matter how much fps i have. Oh yeah its done every 0.03 seconds(using a trigger rather then a timer)
JASS:
                call SetCameraTargetController(Hero[i], 150., -300., false)
                set z = GetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_ZOFFSET)+550+GetXYZ(GetUnitX(Hero[i]),GetUnitY(Hero[i]))-GetCameraTargetPositionZ()+GetUnitFlyHeight(Hero[i])
                call SetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_ZOFFSET,z,0.3)
                call SetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_ROTATION, 135.00, 0)
                call SetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_ANGLE_OF_ATTACK, 305., 0)

Level 8
Oh nvm, you just used a stupid name for a function.
You should just call it GetLocZ()
How I name my functions is based solely on how I want to not how you think it should be, no ? Stupid is a whole other thing, which you probably dont know what means, seeing you, use it like that.

Anyway I think the spam is already enough in this thread. Na_Dann if you still need some help you can take it to a pm.

Level 18
Na Dann Ma GoGo said:
Berbanog first of all the mortar team projectile cant be controlled in any way

Yea, I never said they couldn't, and I never said they should be used, I simply said that you can "dodge" projectiles without having a projectile system, which contradicts what the video says.

Na Dann Ma GoGo said:
But yeh as I said. Even in the video it shows that.

Well in the video its not like you have debug messages showing anything, so its not really an obvious observation, but after another detailed inspection it seems that it is properly gravitated within the blue sphere. Its hard to immediately point out, and since you're constantly moving it doesn't make it any easier.

RaiN said:
which you probably dont know what means, seeing you, use it like that.

Nice sentence.

Na Dann Ma GoGo said:
I've already posted 2-3 times about this.

God forbid you have to repeat it a 4th time. Sorry but I do not research your posts before trying to assist you in a problem that I thought you had. Next time I'll be sure to not say a damn thing.

Level 8
No, impossible!
I'll consider it :wink:

@ Rain I changed it the Z-offset function to set in over a duration of 0.3 seconds now as well and it kinda works.
Now if the fps get below 20 it may still mess up at some parts but oh boy, it shouldn't get that low anyways.
So I'll upload alpha1.0b in some minutes I suppose.

Edit:
Alright 1.0b is out.
I also made the wizard ranged now and slightly reduced it's hp in return.
So it's more of a glass canon now.
Would be nice if you guys can check out whether the camera issue is mostly gone now :)

Last edited:
Level 8
Probably a bug with widgetizing/optimizing. Its quite common these days... Just needs to get recompiled.

Level 14
a tested: works greatly, I just love the physiks :D

just a question: are you going to plan to include destroyable and interactive terrain? (like you shoot down a pillar with a frostbolt and it falls down on some ghouls and they explode)?

Nope, we have no animator. Also I doubt Na_Dann wants it but I don't speak for him.

Level 8
Syltman is right.
First of all we have no modeler / animator as Boneknight will be kicked out of the team now anyways as he's ignoring us for a good month now.
And even if we have someone to care for that these animations will always look the same and may be really plain.
On top of that you can do that only with destructables who drain a lot more performance than doodads do.
So for now no. We don't intend to add these :/

Level 19
Bugs I'd like you to add/fix.

• The barbarian's leap ability hasn't been deactivated in the selection screen. Needs fix.
  • Considering the fact that the charge ability symbolizes destruction I'd recommend that you change the special effects charge from blue sparks to some red effects. Will simply look more appealing.
  • The range which makes you automatically attack the next mob is quite huge and really annoying. Should be removed since it is way way too large and ruins pauses.
  • A click based attack system would be in order. Would make the map more true to the original games.
  • You're still able to jump off the path into the ally pretty much everywhere you're able to click.
    attachment.php

Attachments

• Bug2.png
    Bug2.png
    318.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Level 8
Huge feedback incoming, I see ; D
Thanks a lot.

Disabling the leap within the selection system may be a bit problematic but I'll see about it.
Being able to jump down cliffs or generally where you aren't supposed to do so means that pathing blockers are missing at these points. Gonna check for those again.
Regarding the charge animation/effects. Yeh I'm not satisfied at all with that. I'll try out some more stuff.

Removing the auto acquisition of enemy units and making it click based overall is a nice idea as I already told debode. I guess that's possible to do, at least to a certain degree.
It will NOT be possible to make it so that every click is just one hit and keeping the mouse button down will result in constant attacks. That's just not possible within Wc3 (not without Reinvent the Craft or such stuff).

But I probably could make it so, that you only attack a unit if you gave the order.

The first problem I encountered is the following. Even without acquisition range your hero will automatically attack other units when he or an ally is attacked.
Perhaps I can turn that off with game constants or in the object editor. If someone has an idea regarding it feel free to post.

Level 19
Yeh well I could just make the unit stop after each attack by triggers but without the hold-down stuff it could get pretty annoying making it that way.

But then again, you could also just script the entire movement and the attack system. Would perhaps be the best to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible in your favor.

Also, I'd like you to add some push backs to the attacks and perhaps some little camera shake so the players can sense some power in their attacks. Try to make it feel badass. Perhaps add some noises to the attacks as well.

Level 19
Being able to jump down cliffs or generally where you aren't supposed to do so means that pathing blockers are missing at these points. Gonna check for those again.

I believe I got a possible solution to the jump issue in the dungeon. What I had in mind is for you to create a dummy unit in a targeted area and then make a system which can calculate the z difference between the dummy unit and the hero. If it is too great the jump will be canceled.

You're never able to walk down the ally anyways.

Level 12
I believe I got a possible solution to the jump issue in the dungeon. What I had in mind is for you to create a dummy unit in a targeted area and then make a system which can calculate the z difference between the dummy unit and the hero. If it is too great the jump will be canceled.

You're never able to walk down the ally anyways.

When you get LocationZ of something you don't get it of a unit. So just GetLocationZ of the caster point and minus it with location z of the target point, if it is too high don't cast the spell.

Level 8
Thanks for all your feedback and sorry for the late reply :S

Actually fixing the eary pre-selection leap thing was very easy I just didn't think clearly at first.
For the leaping to unintended places. I'll stick with checking for pathable terrain as this is the easiest way and I think I fixed it for most parts now. (Not in the 1.0b alpha!)
Using height difference will not work for this as there are places where you can jump to and others where you cannot that share the same height difference.
And some other reasons as well.

@ Anacrhon yeh for the projectile system I simply use pre-saved variables and adjust them according to the player count / difficulty dynamically ingame. That's the easiest way for now and unless I use a lot buffs / damage auras in the game it'll work just fine.

I would rather use BonusMod and show how many damage actually is added.
I am doing a missle engine right now, and I will do an attack engine which will use the missle engine.

You can use it aswell if you want. It includes very nice stuff such as xyArc, zArc, homing, missleCollision, unitCollision and a lot more. :) But I guess you already have your systems :p

Because I realized how great open source is. Not only in wc3. For example Mozilla Firefox became the best browser. jQuery one of the best Frameworks of this time. Every opensource program has the posability to become better as closed ones if you have enough users.

And one of the main reasons is to fix the bugs and add the functionality that is missing.

Level 14
An opensource system without users is useless. Also, there is nothing wrong with spreading it.

I don't really get why this makes people pissed of. Everbody advertises. (F.e. you in your signature aswell)

You spam and we have to keep declining it, we're just not intrested in using your systems, open source or not, more features or less. It's like those spambots.

edit: It's great that you want to help but sometimes it just gets annoying when you keep advertising your systems.

Level 8
Wow,
thats the best battle system i have ever seen in wc3:thumbs_up:
How will the respawn system will be?
(My favourite is the checkpoint system (When all players are dead then they will respawn at the last checkpoint and if the players enter the next checkpoint all dead players will respawn there))
I hope you will use Q,W,E,R as hotkeys for the abilities becauese i think they are the comfortablest.
And the last thing I want to say is there are some leaks at the bridge you have to cross after you saved Decard Caine.

Level 8
Anachron, spamming ur project threads since... ok I'm joking no offense intended.

On a serious note the Spell section is made just for what you need. You go there and upload your systems and when people need a system they will go and look it up there. The Hive ain't that big to miss it.

Its good and all with the open source and things but I think i've already told ya that in wc3 its not that good. Wc3 is already ressource heavy and you try to make your systems over complicated(due to wanting to have everything in them which isnt bad) thus making them a bad option for users like us(who already have performance problems).

Status
Not open for further replies.