• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW2: World in Flames [REVISED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell that the next big thing i am working on, that i am about to showcase, is gunners for ground transports (the Sdkfz, M3, ZIS-7 etc). It makes a huge difference, in that when attacking bunkers, the transport will take the aggro with it's high ammount of hit points so that you can safely unload your soldiers to help without having them mowed down. It gives you much more of a reason to train and use transport trucks, not to mention it looks so cool with that mg34 mount on the sdkfz. ;)

This doesn't happen to be inspired by Men Of War is it? Cause a lot of these models remind me of it. :D.

Although i love Men of War and in some parts am inspired by it, the models were mostly referenced by schematics from the real vehicles, while textures were referenced from another game called "Theatre of War". The mortar team would be the only exception, where i studied the animations of the MoW mortar team while i made it. Other things in WiF inspired by MoW are the angular damage system, and the way sandbags are positioned together with barbed wire in arranged formations (just a minor thing that i took to heart).

Furthermore, i can say that the next version is planned to be released next weekend. I hope to be hosting games with clan BAR on friday and saturday.

UK can get mortar teams, but the version is not released yet, so obviously they're not in the version you're playing.. :S

Waffen SS are much stronger than normal infantry, but also more expensive and you can only have 30 of them at the time.

By the way, some chinese guys wrote to us on the forums and told me they had made a chinese WiF forum and wanted to make a translated version. Kinda fun to hear :)

Level 22
UK can get mortar teams, but the version is not released yet, so obviously they're not in the version you're playing.. :S

Waffen SS are much stronger than normal infantry, but also more expensive and you can only have 30 of them at the time.

By the way, some chinese guys wrote to us on the forums and told me they had made a chinese WiF forum and wanted to make a translated version. Kinda fun to hear :)

Huge following for a WC3 map lol. Congrats.

If only there are some kind of cover system... it would be cool!

Uhm.. the scope of this map is a little bit too big for a cover system. You are litteraly controlling thousands of units during a game, cities are represented by a small collection of houses and there are generally not too many places you would be able to take cover behind, even if i would want it.

But i agree that a wc3 map with a cover system would be cool. I am a big fan of MoW and it's predecessors.

Level 4
Oh well, I really can't play this without AI since my noobish friends just say:

Go play DotA! It's much better than this sh*t.
Aaaand I'm just too laggy to play in any servers... even at Garena!

SU-85 and M18 Hellcat

isn't a Heavy Tanks. its Tank Destroyer with a thin armor

I just replied to exactly the same question just a couple of posts above.
I will change the text then, since it seems to steal too much attention.

As far as news goes everyone, i just completed the mesh for a KMS Bismarck model. I'm not sure if i will use it ingame, i was just doing it because i was bored. Perhaps i will post screens later.

I am also trying to work on the game modes, but i am really not getting anywhere since it is hard to work with other peoples code (vuorma did the dialog system). The main feature i want to put in there is basically a game mode where the goal is to capture the enemy capital, and one where you get historical objectives and rewards during the game to promote historical gameplay.

Nova42:

Join the "clan BAR" chat room on the US East server and you might find some people willing to play with you. There are usually people there on saturdays.

Level 22
I just replied to exactly the same question just a couple of posts above.
I will change the text then, since it seems to steal too much attention.

As far as news goes everyone, i just completed the mesh for a KMS Bismarck model. I'm not sure if i will use it ingame, i was just doing it because i was bored. Perhaps i will post screens later.

I am also trying to work on the game modes, but i am really not getting anywhere since it is hard to work with other peoples code (vuorma did the dialog system). The main feature i want to put in there is basically a game mode where the goal is to capture the enemy capital, and one where you get historical objectives and rewards during the game to promote historical gameplay.

Nova42:

Join the "clan BAR" chat room on the US East server and you might find some people willing to play with you. There are usually people there on saturdays.

Saturdays, hmmpf that's tomorrow. :D

It does not seem anyone is in Clan BAR and active as of right now. D:

Sorry, i couldn't make it tonight. Went to see a friend and got stuck there.
I will be on tomorrow though, and we'll see if i can't scramble up some people. I managed to fix my ports now too, so i will be able to host.

@shinji:

Yeah, it bugs me too, but i cannot seem to find a solution to that. You do have the mass command tools, for the sake of commanding a gathered army, but since the map is so large there is not much you can do to help people keep track of their units (and it is something i often experience in other maps too).
If you have any ideas on how to make it easier for the player, i would be happy to know.

Well, that is what we have the mass command function for. There are three "heroes" on your left side of the screen, one of those are called "mass command". You simply pick it, use the selection spell on an area of units, and then you can order them like you would any other unit, except you have the mass command unit selected. Ordering it to move to a location, will instead order the units in the selection group to do so, etc.

Level 2
yes it will be cool if you add a british soldier.
What about crusader II or Churchill tanks.It will be cool if you add some british armour.

Level 9
IWM-E-17616-Crusader-19421002.jpg

Here is a crusader.The soldiers are with hats.

Yeah, i too love that tank.
Actually, i originally intended for the british soldiers to have red caps, that is why i made the helmets into attahcments rather than integrated to the model. Vuorma had objections to this though since he claimed that only officers had caps. I am pretty sure i will add that for the next version though. Perhaps i can do the Crusader tank too, i feel very tempted (and we do still have lots of space after all).

Another model i am tempted to make is the british Lancaster bomber. I just think the rear wings are so iconic, and the RAF is really all britain is about (and navy ofc, but to be hoenst, british ships looked like crap).

Level 2
This is a very nice map !! I tried it and its very good !!!
but there are some problems ... vehicles seems to small and weak ... they are very vunerable to infantry and almost as big as them but still a nice map :goblin_good_job:

Status
Not open for further replies.