• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WoW & Blizzard Game Resources

Should there be a new complete resource section for Blizzard-related resources -War3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it could be a great time to start allowing the uploading of Blizzard related resources in the sections: ex: Models, Skins and Icons in the resource gallery.

It could be a good choice to create a new section in the gallery for WoW models, textures and icons, so that it wont mix-in with War3 quality resources.
Warcraft III is getting older and to preserve it from totally being abandoned it must have some new changes and resources to use in. Since this could be a great way to start using WoW models with-in War3 maps. They have higher polies, better textures, larger quality and are more effective.

I am also including some of other Blizzard games into this such as: Diablo III, Starcraft II, Heroes of The Storm ect...

The votes will be counted and presented in the staff forums, where various moderators and administrators decide on what further actions to take and how it will come into effect.
The voting will expire and will not be counted after 2014 - 7 - 20, if anyone hasn't voted or forgot to vote - please do it until the set-date. :)

Last edited:
Level 29
Firstly wc3 engine is very outdated by now, nothing of the newer games could be possibly direct-ported into here but only re-created in wc3. You can easily use wow models in sc2 since they are already compatible with and require only minimal tweaking there.
Secondly i doubt that opening a wow models section would produce any good, since majority of people would submit a random model ripped out of the mpq without any or only minimal edit whatsoever.

Firstly wc3 engine is very outdated by now, nothing of the newer games could be possibly direct-ported into here but only re-created in wc3. You can easily use wow models in sc2 since they are already compatible with and require only minimal tweaking there.
Secondly i doubt that opening a wow models section would produce any good, since majority of people would submit a random model ripped out of the mpq without any or only minimal edit whatsoever.

Diablo III and Starcraft II models can be converted to .mdx using tools. In case you haven't heard of this. Secondly, your point about Wc3 Engine being outdated makes no point in all this, who cares if it is outdated, it doesn't mean that we must abandon it. Thank you for your opinion. :)

I don't agree with just basic WoW rips but things like WoW icons, textures Warcraft 3 Alpha resources etc should be available somewhere, and if that somewhere is an entirely new section so be it.

WoW models ported into Warcraft 3 shouldn't be allowed but if someone was to say greatly reduce their poly count cut down the animations and make them actually usable in a Warcraft 3 map then I'd consider it.

Level 29
Recreation of alpha content is already related to wc3 game but doubt that would need its seperate category.
WoW icons are already fully present on that other site in their different language.
Texture rips, same probs as model rips. Unless some random saintly person passing by would rework all that stuff into a database for free like that doubt that you would be seeing anything useful ever came out of this. My point is that why even bother when besides the already available few bits and pieces you would have to requisite it or do it yourself in the end, anyways.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Warcraft III is getting older and to preserve it from totally being abandoned it must have some new changes and resources to use in. Since this could be a great way to start using WoW models with-in War3 maps.
Yeah, because it's not like there are gazillion other websites that already are/have been providing exported material from a variety of games for like 10 years now.

Allowing it here accomplishes absolutely nothing except maybe pissing off a bunch of oldfags, and that's that.

Well, me, as an 'oldfag', would definitely be pissed off. WOW rips, even edited to accomplish the standard of usability undermine the mere I of making models from scratch or make heavy edits from wc3 models.
If you want to have WOW shit rips go to many of those crappy ripper sites.
So, no WOW rips are crappy and I am against this idea.

Yeah, because it's not like there are gazillion other websites that already are/have been providing exported material from a variety of games for like 10 years now.

Allowing it here accomplishes absolutely nothing except maybe pissing off a bunch of oldfags, and that's that.

Other sites do not have such a strong community, they will eventually die off. However "War3Sear"(C?) or "HiveWorkShop" has been ever since War3 has been released, it is a constant foundation of game to the modding community. I clearly see how some people are ignorant not to see the whole vision behind this, instead they will keep on to the old ways and just bash the new ideas outside. Yet they don't understand that new ideas bring new variants to the modding community. If you come here just to chat then you are in a wrong place, this is a community that clings to acquire new ways into War3 modding. My suggestions would be to those who are lost: chat on Facebook.

Level 16
B-b-b-but my narotu moduls ar bst! Dowload my spelpax pls. Trodrators re evl, mu cntent is bst.

Short answer: No.
Long answer:

Other sites do not have such a strong community, they will eventually die off. However "War3Sear"(C?) or "HiveWorkShop" has been ever since War3 has been released, it is a constant foundation of game to the modding community. I clearly see how some people are ignorant not to see the whole vision behind this, instead they will keep on to the old ways and just bash the new ideas outside. Yet they don't understand that new ideas bring new variants to the modding community. If you come here just to chat then you are in a wrong place, this is a community that clings to acquire new ways into War3 modding. My suggestions would be to those who are lost: chat on Facebook.

The idea will kill the very foundation of what this site is about. Modding and creating. Bring creations to life for others to use.
Great modellers will fall victim to tons of crap rips, and those rips will streamline a lot of the map section as well.
New ideas are great, but this is far from a new idea. And far from what this site stands for.
Unless I have understood the purpose of this site the wrong way.

Edit:
And if you can't stand other people's opinion if they are different than yours, you should really not create threads like this.
Refering to:
My suggestions would be to those who are lost: chat on Facebook

The idea will kill the very foundation of what this site is about. Modding and creating. Bring creations to life for others to use.
Great modellers will fall victim to tons of crap rips, and those rips will streamline a lot of the map section as well.
New ideas are great, but this is far from a new idea. And far from what this site stands for.
Unless I have understood the purpose of this site the wrong way.

Edit:
And if you can't stand other people's opinion if they are different than yours, you should really not create threads like this.
Refering to:
Quoted for motherfucking truth.
About the subject: simply no.

Level 22
I'm not pissed, don't worry lol... as if it matters lol. I'm not a smart one though lol

Last edited:
In general, I support uploading Blizzard models to the site. It would go generally this way:
(1) It would be its own section (or a subsection of the models section that can only be viewed through filtering).
(2) All resources would be attributed to Blizzard Entertainment, unless heavily modified.
(3) They would have to be formatted properly to fit Warcraft III and work in-game.

Drawbacks: who knows what it'll do to the modelling community, and who knows what it'll do to the maps being submitted (could be a pro and a con).

Although there are reasons to disallow WoW models being uploaded, it is mostly just a legacy-sentimental thing. Believe me, I was adamantly against WoW models since I joined, up until a few years ago. Now we allow maps to use WoW models, so there is not much point in disallowing uploads. At times, I think: "ugh, people will just use them in the worst way possible and insert them randomly into their maps". That is true, but that already happens all the time. At other times, you'll have maps like AProject's, which use them creatively.

When you think of it as just extending the number of available assets, it really doesn't become that awful of an idea. Some will use it, some won't. There is no telling what will happen. While it may seem cheap, there is a lot of potential for interesting map mechanics due to the number of attachments, effects, etc.

The main issue at the moment, imo, would be moderation. People will likely upload them in boatloads, so we would probably need 1-2 moderators dedicated to the section.

AFAIK, the official ruling on whether WoW models are allowed is still unclear. In the unofficial, unwritten, ghetto rules of THW, WoW models can be uploaded if they are properly formatted and are sufficiently low in file size, but we haven't really organized the details of that, so all models have been rejected as of yet. If we were to allow WoW models, it would have to require some planning and several rules to make sure they are all of sufficient quality.

In general, I support uploading Blizzard models to the site. It would go generally this way:
(1) It would be its own section (or a subsection of the models section that can only be viewed through filtering).
(2) All resources would be attributed to Blizzard Entertainment, unless heavily modified.
(3) They would have to be formatted properly to fit Warcraft III and work in-game.

Drawbacks: who knows what it'll do to the modelling community, and who knows what it'll do to the maps being submitted (could be a pro and a con).

Although there are reasons to disallow WoW models being uploaded, it is mostly just a legacy-sentimental thing. Believe me, I was adamantly against WoW models since I joined, up until a few years ago. Now we allow maps to use WoW models, so there is not much point in disallowing uploads. At times, I think: "ugh, people will just use them in the worst way possible and insert them randomly into their maps". That is true, but that already happens all the time. At other times, you'll have maps like AProject's, which use them creatively.

When you think of it as just extending the number of available assets, it really doesn't become that awful of an idea. Some will use it, some won't. There is no telling what will happen. While it may seem cheap, there is a lot of potential for interesting map mechanics due to the number of attachments, effects, etc.

The main issue at the moment, imo, would be moderation. People will likely upload them in boatloads, so we would probably need 1-2 moderators dedicated to the section.

AFAIK, the official ruling on whether WoW models are allowed is still unclear. In the unofficial, unwritten, ghetto rules of THW, WoW models can be uploaded if they are properly formatted and are sufficiently low in file size, but we haven't really organized the details of that, so all models have been rejected as of yet. If we were to allow WoW models, it would have to require some planning and several rules to make sure they are all of sufficient quality.
Make genin a moderator of that ripoff section, he seems to know much about shit xD

EDIT: and genin, it seems like everything feels like a threat to your fragile feelings.

Finally a moderator commented, you are indeed reasonable here PurgeandFire, people will still use WoW models, As I mentioned previously that they are more effective and have higher standards. But it is not only about WoW models, I am talking about all resources, SC2, Diablo III..

Wow models kills the creative modeller.
That being said. Wow buildings, wow doodads, wow item attachments must be allowed as well. Thus turning Hive more or less into a wow modding site rather than a Warcraft 3 site.
AProject's does a fine job utilizing such models. But that is far from always the case.
Approving wow model infested maps is a bad move in the first place.

Finally a moderator commented, you are indeed reasonable here Minimage
Who?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
My suggestions would be to those who are lost: chat on Facebook.
Check it out, people. You make one innocuous post about how you don't see the point of something, and in return you get a pompous sermon about how you have "lost your way" and a passive-aggresive gripe about how you should just GTFO. Fucking awesome. I bet you'd want to punch me in the face too if you weren't too busy grasping at straws.

I clearly see how some people are ignorant not to see the whole vision behind this, instead they will keep on to the old ways and just bash the new ideas outside.
This idea is about as new as sliced bread.

Other sites do not have such a strong community, they will eventually die off. However "War3Sear"(C?) or "HiveWorkShop" has been ever since War3 has been released, it is a constant foundation of game to the modding community.
One semi-active contributor can put out 10 ripped resources a day. If you can't find what you're looking for already on one of plenty sites, chances are you could either get a request filled in one of their (or our) request sections, or get it done yourself.

Not allowing ripped resources to clog up our resource section in no way restricts you from using ripped resources in your map/project, and you can confirm that with any of the prevalent teams that do it daily, e.g. Project Iceborn.

Your move there, genin32. Maybe next time you can try likening my ways to the Holocaust and tell me I'm racist for not valuing exports the way I value original artwork.

Wow models kills the creative modeller.
That being said. Wow buildings, wow doodads, wow item attachments must be allowed as well. Thus turning Hive more or less into a wow modding site rather than a Warcraft 3 site.
AProject's does a fine job utilizing such models. But that is far from always the case.
Approving wow model infested maps is a bad move in the first place.

That argument was made before back when we completely disallowed WoW models (even in the maps section). Who knows what will happen? Sure, there will be maps that are infested, but those will be rejected accordingly (standard map reviewing process). And they limit themselves to single player (usually) by infesting it with models.

I agree that modellers may feel demotivated. Hopefully that can be helped by making rips attributed to Blizzard rather than the uploader, therefore people will still upload resources to have their own collections. And if it is completely separate, then unique models will still get the recognition they deserve.

One semi-active contributor can put out 2-3 ripped resources a day. If you can't find what you're looking for already on one of plenty sites, chances are you could either get a request filled in one of their (or our) request sections, or get it done yourself.

Not allowing ripped resources to clog up our resource section in no way restricts you from using ripped resources in your map/project, and you can confirm that with any of the prevalent teams that do it daily, e.g. Project Iceborn.

It'll be a separate section. That way it won't clog other resource sections.

There is always the "other sites do it" argument, but we can improve upon it with proper planning. (1) We have a 3D viewer (2) We can coordinate attachments better (3) we have moderation (4) categorization (5) they'll be properly formatted, etc.

------
But anyway, to all: try to keep a civil argument and refrain from personal attacks, and stay on topic. It is a worthwhile question. It wouldn't be implemented right away, but it would certainly be a consideration for Hive 2 (or sooner, it would be up to Ralle). And keep in mind, it'll be planned and coordinated so that it'll be a separate entity. It is just expanding the available assets. Sure, people can go to other sites and get a mix of LQ models and search their way through sites without proper previews, and ones that require people to register all-the-while throwing a bunch of ads and animated gifs in their face, but having it on the hive is far better, imo. Not all will agree with me, and I'm not the voice of all the staff. That is just my opinion.

@genin: I'm aware that it is in favor of all Blizzard exports. I just have a habit of saying "WoW", since those will probably be the majority of the models/assets ripped.

That argument was made before back when we completely disallowed WoW models (even in the maps section). Who knows what will happen? Sure, there will be maps that are infested, but those will be rejected accordingly (standard map reviewing process). And they limit themselves to single player (usually) by infesting it with models.

I agree that modellers may feel demotivated. Hopefully that can be helped by making rips attributed to Blizzard rather than the uploader, therefore people will still upload resources to have their own collections. And if it is completely separate, then unique models will still get the recognition they deserve.

It'll be a separate section. That way it won't clog other resource sections.

There is always the "other sites do it" argument, but we can improve upon it with proper planning. (1) We have a 3D viewer (2) We can coordinate attachments better (3) we have moderation (4) categorization (5) they'll be properly formatted, etc.

------
But anyway, to all: try to keep a civil argument and refrain from personal attacks, and stay on topic. It is a worthwhile question. It wouldn't be implemented right away, but it would certainly be a consideration for Hive 2 (or sooner, it would be up to Ralle). And keep in mind, it'll be planned and coordinated so that it'll be a separate entity. It is just expanding the available assets. Sure, people can go to other sites and get a mix of LQ models and search their way through sites without proper previews, and ones that require people to register all-the-while throwing a bunch of ads and animated gifs in their face, but having it on the hive is far better, imo. Not all will agree with me, and I'm not the voice of all the staff. That is just my opinion.

@genin: I'm aware that it is in favor of all Blizzard exports. I just have a habit of saying "WoW", since those will probably be the majority of the models/assets ripped.

Hive 2 is really a far away subject from now on, since there isn't any new progress about it, even if there was, I am sure that all models on the database will get moved to Hive 2. that means we don't need to wait for Hive 2 to start acting on this behalf. Yes, Hive 1 aka HiveWorkShop is really an advanced War 3/ SC2 community site that is more up to date and moderated than any of the others, it is the number one at the moment. The new section should contain extra sections of game ripp's such as; Diablo III Ripp's, Starcraft II Ripp's, Heroes of The Storm Ripp's, World of WarCraft Ripp's and Other (Blizzard Game's). I also remember discussing with Ralle about simple model edits section, supposedly he hasn't fully announced it, but it will be featured in Hive 2, it would be something like a sub-section. Tough I think we should gather as much people so that we would get enough voting on this subject. :/

Hive 2 is really a far away subject from now on, since there isn't any new progress about it, even if there was, I am sure that all models on the database will get moved to Hive 2. that means we don't need to wait for Hive 2 to start acting on this behalf. Yes, Hive 1 aka HiveWorkShop is really an advanced War 3/ SC2 community site that is more up to date and moderated than any of the others, it is the number one at the moment. The new section should contain extra sections of game ripp's such as; Diablo III Ripp's, Starcraft II Ripp's, Heroes of The Storm Ripp's, World of WarCraft Ripp's and Other (Blizzard Game's). I also remember discussing with Ralle about simple model edits section, supposedly he hasn't fully announced it, but it will be featured in Hive 2, it would be something like a sub-section. Tough I think we should gather as much people so that we would get enough voting on this subject. :/
Oh, so not only you want your own selfish crap, but you want it right about now? Great.
And if Ralle has said that it will be featured in Hive 2, then why the fuck did you make this thread in the first place? -.-

P.S. make sure this fucking crap is separate from the model section, because I won't bear seeing all this shit daily in the model section.

Let's face it guys, rips are a bad idea and the source for them are plenty. If you want some go there. Someone with at least some dignity does not use rips, because he knows from the inside that those are wrong. The others may just be stupid.
My opinion, does not have to be true.

And yet again, this thread is just another example of genin trying to force his opinion onto us the community. I don't want to agitate the people, but this is ridiculous.
People's voice has been heard, genin does not like this and starts to passive-aggressively insult people with pretending to know something.

This thread should be closed now.

Let's face it guys, rips are a bad idea and the source for them are plenty. If you want some go there. Someone with at least some dignity does not use rips, because he knows from the inside that those are wrong. The others may just be stupid.
My opinion, does not have to be true.

And yet again, this thread is just another example of genin trying to force his opinion onto us the community. I don't want to agitate the people, but this is ridiculous.
People's voice has been heard, genin does not like this and starts to passive-aggressively insult people with pretending to know something.

This thread should be closed now.
I absoloutely agree with your opinion.
One thing I do not understand though. Genin is "passive-aggressively" insulting people, uploading ripoffs, aggressively insulting people and discarding their opinions, reporting moderators and starting internet fights over nothing, while trying to enforce his own seeing and ideals upon a whole community for his own gain, he gets nothing.
I lose my shit and say a few bad words, well, too bad for me, because here's -5 neg rep! Are you serious? -.-

I absoloutely agree with your opinion.
One thing I do not understand though. Genin is "passive-aggressively" insulting people, uploading ripoffs, aggressively insulting people and discarding their opinions, reporting moderators and starting internet fights over nothing, while trying to enforce his own seeing and ideals upon a whole community for his own gain, he gets nothing.
I lose my shit and say a few bad words, well, too bad for me, because here's -5 neg rep! Are you serious? -.-

The problem with you is that you cannot combat an idea that you dislike in a civilized manner. No one forced you to spam the thread, just because you disagree. Yes, I am very much serious and your access to Site Discussion is still at stake.

The problem with you is that you cannot combat an idea that you dislike in a civilized manner. No one forced you to spam the thread, just because you disagree. Yes, I am very much serious and your access to Site Discussion is still at stake.
Fine then, so be it. Do whatever you'd like, I frankly don't care what decision you'll take. Hive will be dead in a few years anyway, and users like genin and their ideas can only speed up this process. Sorry for standing for the hive.

This will be the last post this stinking thread will see from me. And if you still feel like I'm spamming this precious thread, delete all my posts, see if I give a damn. Farewell.

On-Topic, we need to hear the votes and opinions of new people, this has been a rough discussion as I expected, there are many rebels against it.. but..

You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. - Albert Einstein.

It's not a rebellion, it's people disagreeing. You also need to be friendly to different opinions. Give the community some time to absorb and weigh the positives and negatives. We're all aware of what you propose, no need to spam.

It's not a rebellion, it's people disagreeing. You also need to be friendly to different opinions. Give the community some time to absorb and weigh the positives and negatives. We're all aware of what you propose, no need to spam.

People like Blood Raven are making this whole idea/ suggestion into some hellish apocalypse that will eventually destroy the Hive. But he is false, normal model section will still be untouched, it is just an addition to the Hive. People can decide if they like it or not- that was the point of the poll. If they don't like it- then leave this thread alone after you voted. There is no need for a conflict.

People like Blood Raven are making this whole idea/ suggestion into some hellish apocalypse that will eventually destroy the Hive. But he is false, normal model section will still be untouched, it is just an addition to the Hive. People can decide if they like it or not- that was the point of the poll. If they don't like it- then leave this thread alone after you voted. There is no need for a conflict.

No you gave no option to disagree other than "comment". So that was what we did. Obviously this led to all who is against this idea had to voice their (me included) opinions by posts.
That's a poll flaw.

And "Disagree, I' think it should be as it is, users can still upload those resources in the Forums.", is not good enough. As you have clearly seen.

Are you really stupid to spam the whole thread with disagreeing comments just because you voted on <Comment>? It is single, a single form, you had to write one comment about your opinion- not entire columns of it. That was your flaw, the poll is perfect for those who can use wits and common senses.

First of all, you spam the thread, encouraging others to fight over their opinion.
Secondly, watch your language, because you are not above the rules.
Thirdly, I don't see what new you are proposing.

Level 35
As a terrainer I wouldn't mind having a separate section for converted doodads from all
the Blizzard games, it'd add more diversity to terraining and likely provide some few odd
objects we never thought we needed. As a Moderator I'm uncertain of whether it's worth
it or not, for one, there's always the morality issue, considering the fact that the separate
doodads and models from WoW and other Blizzard games isn't directly owned by Blizzard but
by the separate artists that made them. The second part of that argument is upload
space, it's not like this site can support infinite amounts of uploads, unless it can?
Anyway, if it can't, then I'd say it isn't worth it limiting the space for modders by adding
converted models, and they know how to take up space.

However, should we decide to add such a feature to this site, then I agree with Solu9
about the rep, and furthermore I'd move that any model uploaded should be changed
from having been uploaded by that user to "Blizzard Entertainment." In that way no
person could amass any personal gains for uploading "rips" other than the mere pleasure
of knowing they did it and using the model in their project.

As a terrainer I wouldn't mind having a separate section for converted doodads from all
the Blizzard games, it'd add more diversity to terraining and likely provide some few odd
objects we never thought we needed. As a Moderator I'm uncertain of whether it's worth
it or not, for one, there's always the morality issue,
I'm with Keiji on this matter.
In that way no
person could amass any personal gains for uploading "rips"
Quite fair.

Last edited:
I'm uncertain of whether it's worth
it or not, for one, there's always the morality issue, considering the fact that the separate
doodads and models from WoW and other Blizzard games isn't directly owned by Blizzard but
by the separate artists that made them.

We then come again to the point of being able to even use them, if it really is a matter of artists. Nothing in a project is literally ours, even the editor we are using is coded by someone else - should we not use it because this is coders' work? The thing is that we use them for such a naive purpose. In the case of StarCraft II for example, it is more questionable, given the rumor of being able to sell your map (frankly, I don't know if it's true and I don't care to search at the moment to make my point stronger).

There are multiple maps using the models already, some of them are surviving, others have died, with the shining example of Craka_J's WoW project. Even a project bearing the title wouldn't be a sufficient reason to port these models in WarCraft III, because we would then get to see a lot more projects exploiting the name in favor of the resources' usage.

I am in favor of the models and it will only give us more resources to work with, unless we like encouraging browsing other sites that we don't even allow linking to (since they usually support other games' rips).

Level 35
We then come again to the point of being able to even use them, if it really is a matter of artists. Nothing in a project is literally ours, even the editor we are using is coded by someone else - should we not use it because this is coders' work? The thing is that we use them for such a naive purpose. In the case of StarCraft II for example, it is more questionable, given the rumor of being able to sell your map (frankly, I don't know if it's true and I don't care to search at the moment to make my point stronger).

Thing is, though, with Wc3, or Sc2 for that matter, the artists agreed to share their
works for the sake of modding. Because they added world editors to those games and
wanted such a community surrounding those games. They didn't with WoW.
- Or, so I've heard.

Don't ask me to document these claims, because I can't. I merely remember having
read it somewhere before. And besides that, it simply makes sense, so I can't see
why it shouldn't be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.