• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Domination General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suggestion Time!

1: What about the ability to upgrade existing units? Like you could upgrade your ranger unit to marines or something.

2: More units. Who hates more units? Like not only anti air ground unit or siege air unit but special units like vikings from SC2. The core idea is that the player wont be limited with those siege ground vechiles or anti air planes and all those stuff, but with more ''special'' units.

3: More gadgets for agents. How about Orbital Strikes, Turrets or maybe even Cthuhu Lures lol.

4: Increase the range of zombie lures. I want to start a zombie outbreak in S. America and put a lure in N. America to lure zombies.

Great! New units are coming. I haven't added them yet simply because it is easier for me to create the basic systems if i start with a simple tech tree. It is also easier for me to balance the game if there aren't too many units to start with - and once they are balanced i can add more to the mix.

Do you have any other good ideas for units to upgrade? My original vision for this project was to simulate how the politics of weapon trade works in the world today - where countries have expensive projects for developing new weapons, and then selling or licensing them to other countries. Anything that fits into that will be good, even better if they could fill a unique role. Far-out ideas like stuff you'd see in C&C games are also welcome.

More gadgets are also coming - first off will be the dirty bomb. I want to keep agent items to stuff of reconaissanse or sabotage, and all-out weapons seem like something more fitting for special ops-soldiers. Cthulhu lures would be easy to make, but also kinda ruin the surprise, and not make much sense (as if Cthulhu were some kind of moth attracted to a light!). Something i will need ideas for is how to make Special Ops forces unique - i want to add abilities to them which doesn't require too much micro-management (so no grenade spells etc). One idea i had was that the Brazilian special ops, who are famed for their divers, would be able to travel on water, on scooters, or with those grab-on minisub-thingies that spec-ops units sometimes use.

The main reason for the limit of the zombie lure range is that it improves performance. Also it is unlikely that a zombie would be drawn to a lure that is on a different continent. What you can do though is leave a "candy trail", and progressively lure them towards the enemy. Should i make the life time of the lure shorter? That would make it easier to make these trails.

Thank you for your ideas!

Level 8
Great! New units are coming. I haven't added them yet simply because it is easier for me to create the basic systems if i start with a simple tech tree. It is also easier for me to balance the game if there aren't too many units to start with - and once they are balanced i can add more to the mix.

Do you have any other good ideas for units to upgrade? My original vision for this project was to simulate how the politics of weapon trade works in the world today - where countries have expensive projects for developing new weapons, and then selling or licensing them to other countries. Anything that fits into that will be good, even better if they could fill a unique role. Far-out ideas like stuff you'd see in C&C games are also welcome.

More gadgets are also coming - first off will be the dirty bomb. I want to keep agent items to stuff of reconaissanse or sabotage, and all-out weapons seem like something more fitting for special ops-soldiers. Cthulhu lures would be easy to make, but also kinda ruin the surprise, and not make much sense (as if Cthulhu were some kind of moth attracted to a light!). Something i will need ideas for is how to make Special Ops forces unique - i want to add abilities to them which doesn't require too much micro-management (so no grenade spells etc). One idea i had was that the Brazilian special ops, who are famed for their divers, would be able to travel on water, on scooters, or with those grab-on minisub-thingies that spec-ops units sometimes use.

The main reason for the limit of the zombie lure range is that it improves performance. Also it is unlikely that a zombie would be drawn to a lure that is on a different continent. What you can do though is leave a "candy trail", and progressively lure them towards the enemy. Should i make the life time of the lure shorter? That would make it easier to make these trails.

Thank you for your ideas!

The Cthulhu Lure is just a "lol" idea. And with the zombie lures, i think you still can increase it a little bit. Because when you start a zombie apocalypse, it spreads out very quickly. If you cant put a lure fast and nuke them, then thats probably it. Youre dead brah! And with the unit ideas, I can give you more random ideas. Like a lollipop tank!

These are just some randum ideas that my brain throws out. You dont even need to listen to it. Alright, time for brainstorming!

Level 8
1. A guy that looks like your avatar. Shoots out flames? Or maybe red lasers. A good unit vs infantry if shoots out flames, good unit vs vechiles if shoots red lasers. Deals splash damage.

2. A more robotic guy? Shoots energy bolts at its enemies. Can't get infected. Good vs zombies.

I had a reply written down yesterday, but then my internet crashed and i lost it. Well well, here it goes:

Forget what i said about "far out", i think it easily goes a bit too far. Some of the new ideas i had in mind were these:

The Shelter
There is still one slot in the build menu to fill, and one thing i considered was a building which works essentially like a bomb shelter. It would have an incredible amount of health and armor, capable of withstanding at least one direct hit from a nuclear weapon. It would be used to protect valuable units from cataclysmic events. I know it might sound like a ripoff from TAF, but what i had in mind was more like a burrow, containing max 8 units, and which you could have multiple of. Would this kind of building be useful?

Satellites
Some of you may have noticed that the tooltips for the missile base (and a few other things) mentions satellites, although they are not actually in the game. The idea was to have both spy satellites, sweeping across the map periodically to reveal terrain, and golden eye-style satellites which can shoot missiles or laser beams on ground targets. There are two problems related to this though:
  • How would you select them? Since they would be pretty high up, and constantly moving (presumably), it will be hard to select them by traditional means. One option is to add a fifth hero icon, for toggling between satellites, but i am not too fond of this idea. Another is to somehow select them using the missile base which launched it. The problem here is that it would be hard to keep track of which missile base controls which satellite.

• How would you kill them?
    Given that you are able to use satellites which can both spy and attack, players will need to have a way to fight them. The first option is, naturally, that there would be some kind of special missile which can automatically target enemy satellites once launched. The problem here is that it might be complicated trying to select which specific satellite you wish to target. The second option is that each satellite must be tied to its launch station, and that the satellite would crash once the launch station is destroyed. Again, there is the issue that it might be unclear which satellite is tied to which station, but this feels like a better solution to me. What do you think?

Level 8
Bomb shelter idea sounds nice. Isn't it plausible to add more than one build menu, i think i saw it in a map once. About the satellites, maybe it would be nice to add make them linked to their missile bases...It sounds reasonable and realistic to do so. And about destroying them, it would be good if they were destroyed when their parent missile base is destroyed but maybe that way players would kinda be forced to attack enemy missile bases if they didn't want enemy satellites to spy on them or blast em with laser rays... now when i think about it players already need to destroy enemies missile bases if they don't want them to be using nuclear missiles... Maybe do whichever method of destroying them is easier...

Fingolfin# are you planning on adding the Ufo's? or ET's? They are a very large phenomena in this century. They could probably be an easter egg, randomly flying by the map in fast speed until they disappear at the boundaries.

maybe make abductions occur as a random event? Or Governments working with Et's.

beamship_meier's+adrian's.jpg

Good idea! What if players would have the option of building their own UFO:s, with the prerequisite of having shot down one of the randomly appearing ones? Like, UFO:s would appear on rare occasions and fly around (mostly peacefully), but if a player were to actively order a unit to shoot it down, it would crash, and he would be able to recover the wreckage of it.

One idea i had already was that there would be an alien invasion event, where a giant UFO would come and ruin cities with an ion beam until defeated, and have smaller UFO:s flying about guarding it. So another option could be that you have the ability to do some "extraterrestrial research" tech, enabling your missile bases to send a message out into space, attempting to contact aliens. After a few minutes, this would have some chance of triggering the alien invasion event.

Good idea! What if players would have the option of building their own UFO:s, with the prerequisite of having shot down one of the randomly appearing ones? Like, UFO:s would appear on rare occasions and fly around (mostly peacefully), but if a player were to actively order a unit to shoot it down, it would crash, and he would be able to recover the derelict of it.

One idea i had already was that there would be an alien invasion event, where a giant UFO would come and ruin cities with an ion beam until defeated, and have smaller UFO:s flying about guarding it. So another option could be that you have the ability to do some "extraterrestrial research" tech, enabling your missile bases to send a message out into space, attempting to contact aliens. After a few minutes, this would have some chance of triggering the alien invasion event.

that much is up to you. But let's be realistic here, nobody can shoot down a UFO, that is just absurd. If they can then aliens must be pretty stupid, travelling all this way to be shot down.

Alien Invasion sounds much better, but yet I have to stick with peaceful alien sightings that are just as an easter eggs. Maybe aliens abduct? Or if the player contacts the alien, they can give him technology for something... in return..

Anyway, UFO's should be pretty rare..

Hey guys, just writing to let you know that i finished a new model: the Su-35 Super Flanker!

It will be replacing the Eurofighter as the fighter jet for Russia, India and China. It is larger and less agile, but also cheaper and faster to produce. It deals more damage to air units than the Eurofighter, but less to ground units. Here are a few screens:

ScreenShot385.jpg

The Su-35 carries an armament of R-27 Vympel Air-to-air missiles.
ScreenShot374.jpg

This is one step towards implementing nation-specific units to the different nations. Other planned models include:

F-1 Fighting Falcon (USA, Indonesia, Latin Alliance)
T-90 Main Battle Tank (Russia, India, Latin Alliance)
Leopard 2A6 Main Battle Tank (Europe, Indonesia)
ZTZ-99 Main Battle Tank (China)
Pzh 2000 Mobile Artillery (Europe)
M109 Paladin Mobile Artillery (USA, Brazil, Arab League)
2S19 Msta-S Mobile Artillery (Russia, China, India, Latin Alliance)
M2 Bradley IFV (USA, Arab League)
BMP-3 IFV (Russia, India, China, Brazil)
AH-64 Apache (USA, Indonesia, Arab League, Europe, Latin Alliance)
Mi-24 Hind (Russia, Brazil, Indonesia, India, Indonesia, China)
M270 MLRS (USA, Europe, Arab League, Indonesia, Latin Alliance)
BM-30 Smerch MLRS (or possibly the Iskander) (Russia, India, China)

....And a few more, which i honestly don't have the patience to write down now. Suggestions are welcome - consider that models used by only one nation is a no-deal (the only exception being, possibly, the ZTZ-99).

Today i spent the whole day adding satellites to the map, and so far they are pretty awesome. This is how they work:

Once a space center finishes training a satellite, it will launch a rocket, which deploys the satellite once it has gained enough altitude (during this process it is possible for enemies to shoot the rocked down using anti-ballistic lasers). Once the satellite is deployed, a subtle tether will be displayed between it and the station it is linked to. The station also has an ability which lets you quickly select the linked satellite. If the station dies, the satellite will start crashing and ultimately slam into the ground, damaging nearby units.

Orbital laser satellites have an ability to channel their laser, which will last for 10 seconds and scorch any targets underneath it. It is quite easy to dodge due to how sluggish the satellites are, but it is very effective against structures, and anything else caught in the burn. Here are some screenshots of how it looks in action:

Screen%20Shot%2003-15-15%20at%2001.18%20AM%20002.jpg

Screen%20Shot%2003-15-15%20at%2001.21%20AM%20001.jpg

The new version will be uploaded tomorrow.

@Valandil: do you mean like a diplomatic command?

Alright, the new version is up in the main thread and the diplomunion maps list! Updates include:

• The Missile Base can now upgrade into a Space Center, allowing it to produce satellites.
  • Added Spy Satellites and Orbital Laser Satellites. These are invulnerable, but have their life tied to the space center they were launched from, and will crash if it is destroyed.
  • New fighter model for Russia, China, and India: the SU-35 Super Flanker. This unit replaces the Eurofighter for these nations, is cheaper but slower, and more inclined towards air dogfighting than ground strikes.
  • Main Battle Tanks and Napalm Bombs have both had their damage significantly increased.
  • The AI has been adjusted to not starve itself through negative growth.

EDIT: Newest version is now 1.3f. I found a piece of code which might be the cause of the desync, so i am updating to test that. Other new features include an extra column to the resource multiboard which shows how fast your resources are increasing/decreasing. This makes it a lot easier for new players to understand how different actions affect the resoruce rate. Also, by suggestion from Ziad, i added a research which allows your units to be vaccinated from the Zombie virus, so that your infantry can no longer be infected while alive (though their corpses will still raise as zombies if killed by one). This tech is also leasable, although it takes time to research, so a good business plan might be to release the virus, and then be the one who holds the only cure...

Interesting thing i noticed: when i tried to save the map under a different name, the new map became 15kb smaller, and also crashed wc3 if i tried to play it. Thankfully, i kept the old file. Something is telling me that something might be up with the map file itself which is causing the desyncs, so if everything else fails, i will try to transfer the triggers, terrain and units to another map and see how that works.

Last edited:
Wow! Indonesia is included! :O

This is cool! Good luck with the project! ;)

I read somewhere that Indonesia is expected to be the worlds fourth most powerful country by 2050! Also, it is positioned in such a way that it is not too close to other players, lol.

So that is why you are really good in triggers plus you are an excellent modeller and skinner. :)

Why does nothing is produced when I try to train Destroyer and Trident Submarines?

Thanks! What do you mean? It works fine for me to produce them. Maybe you were out of materials?

Weird, i tested it again, and they show up fine. Maybe the model somehow failed to load for you.

Anyhow, version 1.3g is now up. Here is the changelog:

• Increased food provided by cities and towns.
  • Naval batteries have greatly increased range and damage.
  • Increased the health of most turrets.
  • Fixed some minor issues which might have caused desyncs. I'm not sure really, just grabbing at straws here.
  • Repair costs now more accurately correspond to the estimated value of the structure. Cities and towns do no longer require tons of resources to repair (the reason they did this is because they used the "rebuild city" cost as base for the repair cost).
  • Various small balance fixes.

Level 12
Weird, i tested it again, and they show up fine. Maybe the model somehow failed to load for you.

Anyhow, version 1.3g is now up. Here is the changelog:

• Increased food provided by cities and towns.
  • Naval batteries have greatly increased range and damage.
  • Increased the health of most turrets.
  • Fixed some minor issues which might have caused desyncs. I'm not sure really, just grabbing at straws here.
  • Repair costs now more accurately correspond to the estimated value of the structure. Cities and towns do no longer require tons of resources to repair (the reason they did this is because they used the "rebuild city" cost as base for the repair cost).
  • Various small balance fixes.
Great , i see that you really work on this . By the way , where did you read that Indonesia is expected to be a great power until 2050 ?

Great , i see that you really work on this . By the way , where did you read that Indonesia is expected to be a great power until 2050 ?

Thanks, i read it on the wikipedia page for nation power index.

I've researched the Radiation Shield and I've got a fatal error.

Edit: May I suggest if you can use a squad system in the infantry it's kind of troublesome selecting all units there.

I will look into this. However, i doubt that the radiation shielding upgrade is related to crashes as it is a dummy upgrade that does nothing (the only effect is that the scripted radiation damage is divided by the upgrade level).

Level 19
I will look into this. However, i doubt that the radiation shielding upgrade is related to crashes as it is a dummy upgrade that does nothing (the only effect is that the scripted radiation damage is divided by the upgrade level).

Okay but I soon as I clicked it the game crashed. I'll test this again.

Love how the aircraft movement works it really looks realistic.

Level 12
I dont want to be a hipocrite but i dont see how countries like India , Indonesia will become such powerfull

Level 19
I dont want to be a hipocrite but i dont see how countries like India , Indonesia will become such powerfull

The link Fingolfin provided showed Indian and Indonesia rose into 20 most powerful nations. In 2060 India is 2nd only to China and Indonesia is 4th. Today India's collaborated with USA for military and economic relations. They're also worlds largest arms importer and developed nuclear warheads since they didn' t sign the nuclear treaty. While Indonesia is one of the leading economy here in south-east asia.

Your map is awe-inspiring, have you uploaded it to makemehost?

I really look forward to try your city management and diplomacy, your brilliant ideas inspire me!

Thank you! There is a new awesome version coming out very soon (possibly tonight). Meanwhile, the current version is available in the Diplomunion maps list on MMH (just go to makemehost.com and click "diplomunion").

Are you planning to use Aircraft Carriers in the near future? That would be cool. The carriers could repair and refuel the aircrafts for long distance combat.

I'm not sure, as of now, airplanes don't use fuel like they do in WiF. I guess it could still be useful for repairing airplanes though, so we'll see!

Version 1.4h is OUT!

This version includes a ton of updates including three new unit models, government selection, new research, new unit classes, and much more!

Here is a screenshot with some of the new units:

attachment.php

CHANGELOG
  • It is finally possible to select your government type!
  • Added new first-tier vehicles, including the M60 Patton and the BTR-90. Labeled as "Heavy Tank" and "Light Assault Vehicle" respectively, these classes will serve as low-tier versions of the MBT and the Infantry Tank.
  • Main Battle Tanks and Infantry Tanks now require an upgrade, named "Modernized Tanks". This upgrade can be leased.
  • Nuclear bombs will now more easily ruin cities. Also fixed a bug which allowed cities to be captured by nukes (seems legit?).
  • You can now "invest" money into cities to increase their wealth. This adds to tax income in the long term, and reduces poverty.
  • Players with a "Militarian" government can now train National Guard squads. These are weak and spammable militia units which can be used for rushes or to overwhelm the enemy. They can become quite useful once you get the "Genetic Enhancements" upgrade.
  • Buffed all vehicles in relation to infantry.
  • Added a new model for the Recon Plane.
  • Airfields now passively heal nearby airplanes.
  • You can now type "-oil" or "-iron" to ping all oil patches and iron veins on the map (it works... kinda).
  • The AI is now slightly less stupid.
  • Disabled the AI during multiplayer matches in order to investigate possible causes of desyncs.

You can find the map in the Diplomunion maps list on MMH, as well as attached to the the first post in this thread. As usual, let me know if you encounter any bugs, and if the desyncs are still persistent.

Attachments

• WDUpdate.png
    WDUpdate.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 331
Level 15
haven't yet had the opportunity to play this for real, but one thing I though about when clicking around was that the multiboard didn't autmatically open when i selected the menu which was kind of annoying. Perhaps make it open and close on selection/deselection.

Also the diplomacy player options were still there even though the players weren't.

As a user of your terrain-art (textures and trees) the map suffers from the same thing as my project does, its kind of bland, maybe its just me projecting my issues on you, who knows. :p

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Played it a bit. It's really good so far, though I had a really hard time getting around due to so many features.

I played with UN. Attacked a local city, and had Russia declare war on me xD

EDIT: Getting an immense lag during the mid/late game for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played it a bit. It's really good so far, though I had a really hard time getting around due to so many features.

I played with UN. Attacked a local city, and had Russia declare war on me xD

Haha, i think the war declaration and the attack were unrelated, the AI randomly declares war on people after the first few minutes. Do you feel like there is too many features, though? Are there any features which are harder to understand, or which should be removed?

For next update i have changed the unrest system to make more sense, and to give more feedback to the player. You will have different icons above buildings which are on strike, unpowered, or disabled, and there will be a feature for listing the sources of your unrest.

EDIT: Getting an immense lag during the mid/late game for some reason.

I would suspect that is because of the AI. How many bots were you playing with? I usually run with 4-5, and it's steady on 40fps.

haven't yet had the opportunity to play this for real, but one thing I though about when clicking around was that the multiboard didn't autmatically open when i selected the menu which was kind of annoying. Perhaps make it open and close on selection/deselection.

Also the diplomacy player options were still there even though the players weren't.

As a user of your terrain-art (textures and trees) the map suffers from the same thing as my project does, its kind of bland, maybe its just me projecting my issues on you, who knows. :p

Thanks for the feedback, i've fixed all those things for the next version. I have actually made enough changes to release version 1.3i already, but it feels silly to do it this soon. I have a changelog with the current changes for it here.

The reason the terrain is a bit bland is that i've been suspecting that the desyncs people are experiencing might be caused by corrupted object editor data in the map. If all else fails, i plan to recreate the whole map in a new map file, and therefore i'm not spending too much time on the terrain right now. Your project looks awesome though!

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Do you feel like there is too many features, though?

Well, I don't feel like there too many features, but it'll take some time to get use to it. Removing a few thing you consider the least useful wouldn't hurt, though.

I also noticed that when I maxed out taxes, the folks were pretty fine with it. The unrest didn't really go beyond the safe zone.

I would suspect that is because of the AI. How many bots were you playing with? I usually run with 4-5, and it's steady on 40fps.

Can't remember exactly how many, but I used a lot of them, so it's gotta be it.

Level 15
Got a game going.

- First thign that happend was: "Warning desync detected!" One dropped.
- Second thing is that for new players it isnt obvious what happens when you run out of resources. How to solve it or if power is missing.
- Arab League (teal) said he couldn't destroy his own buildings or cancel production. And I couldn't cancel production, is that intentional?
- Workers can get stuck after building mines.
- Briefcase bombs are cool but why have players use items? Just make it a spell or something you can buy/load directly from the unit itself.
- Unrest seems to be capped at 64%, and education level lowest 10%.
- AI air-planes keep attacking cities even though they are being attacked by other planes might be because that version couldn't attack air... dunno.

I suggest that when production is halted from lack of resource some visual effect should appear above them and they should be halted until you press resume. This way you wont have it spreading around the resources and never finishing a thing.

Secondly the few that stayed had a hard time figuring out the power, if you could add a visual effect for buildings out of power that would be great. Actually, add effects for all resource shortages (like a sphere above the unit) would be cool or just a exclamation mark.

I found it hard to grow, because of oil shortage, felt stuck without any oil and when you hit your limit its hard to back-peddle to a stable income. Might be because I'm a noob though.

Maybe, this map suffers from having too many cities? Didn't play WiF much so can't really comment on the size of this map - you know best. But one way to change the expansion speed is to introduce a risk-style capture system with regions instead of cities. Not sure if it would be an improvement, just some thing that came into my mind.

Could you add an old fashioned score-board?

Spies should be able to find out information about a nations wealth.

Allow the car bomb to do friendly fire and make the spy run away from it when it is dropped?

When you select another research replace the old as you do now, but expand the multiboard so you can see the researches you've already started and when the top research is completed it starts researching next. Currently it stops researching after completion even if some have been started before. Add the ability to cancel all researches. As well as replacing the currently selected research ability with a cancel research ability. So if you click the same research button it is canceled/paused.

I think the research Menu should be a research-building that can be upgraded into the 4 categories. That way you can control what is being researched easier. It also allows for spies to steal research (drain life 2 minutes) or sabotage.

Perhaps connect Spain and Morocco by land?

Most people left early, and I never got so far as to start fighting against anyone.

How did you do the oil/iron buildable requirments?

You imported custom unit sounds does it take up much file-size?

Last edited:
- Arab League (teal) said he couldn't destroy his own buildings or cancel production. And I couldn't cancel production, is that intentional?

You can destroy your own buildings (apart from power plants) by using the "abbandon" ability. Stalled buildings are paused however, and sadly that means you can't use abilities or cancel production. I'm thinking of maybe adding an ability in one of the menus that lets you clear the training queue of a stalled structure.

- Briefcase bombs are cool but why have players use items? Just make it a spell or something you can buy/load directly from the unit itself.

I figured this would make spies a bit overpowered, if they could roam around in the enemy base and plant bombs all the time. Also, i wanted to make the Intelligence HQ useful for more things than just producing spies.

- Unrest seems to be capped at 64%, and education level lowest 10%.

The unrest can only reach a certain level if taxes and poverty are the only things influencing it. However, declaring wars and using nukes will add to temporary unrest, and having national debt also adds a little.

- AI air-planes keep attacking cities even though they are being attacked by other planes might be because that version couldn't attack air... dunno.

Jet fighters are the only airplanes that can attack other air units.

Secondly the few that stayed had a hard time figuring out the power, if you could add a visual effect for buildings out of power that would be great. Actually, add effects for all resource shortages (like a sphere above the unit) would be cool or just a exclamation mark.

The next version will have some awesome custom-made status icons to show these things. The unrest also won't affect power plants and cities anymore (which is something that really screws things up in the current version).

I found it hard to grow, because of oil shortage, felt stuck without any oil and when you hit your limit its hard to back-peddle to a stable income. Might be because I'm a noob though.

Building some oil rigs on the ocean will quickly eliminate your oil need for a foreseeable future.

Allow the car bomb to do friendly fire and make the spy run away from it when it is dropped?

I will make it so that the bombs damage your own units (although not allies).

Could you add an old fashioned score-board?

Sure, but from where should you be able to access it? Another hero icon?

When you select another research replace the old as you do now, but expand the multiboard so you can see the researches you've already started and when the top research is completed it starts researching next. Currently it stops researching after completion even if some have been started before. Add the ability to cancel all researches. As well as replacing the currently selected research ability with a cancel research ability. So if you click the same research button it is canceled/paused.

This seems very complicated to me, but i will see if i can find some way for people to queue research.

I think the research Menu should be a research-building that can be upgraded into the 4 categories. That way you can control what is being researched easier. It also allows for spies to steal research (drain life 2 minutes) or sabotage.

This won't really work with the centralized upgrade system... each research building will just be a place for buttons where you can select upgrades. People might think that more structures allow you to conduct more research, and be confused as to how it works.

How did you do the oil/iron buildable requirments?

I made all tiles in the map unbuildable (using a JNGP feature), and then i made it so that mines require "buildable". Then, using triggers, i create patterns of buildability which correspond to patterns of pathing used by the mines (usually a checker pattern which i made in paint). You can download Bob666's SupCom maps and see how he triggered it there if you like, he uses the same method (except he also uses triggers to make all tiles unbuildable, which you don't need to do with the JNGP feature)

You imported custom unit sounds does it take up much file-size?

No, not with the bitrate i'm using. Each sound takes about 25-50kb each, i think that is fair. If you have any sounds that you want to use as dialogue, send them to me and i will convert them to a compact format for you.

Level 15
About the scoreboard, I was thinking that when you deselect the heroes the scoreboard appears. What you think about revealing overall tech percentage and city count as well as the standard k/d ratio (gold) or something along those lines.

Something i suggested long ago for sc2 risk was that the minimap should be updated (every minute or so) to reveal where players have expanded. So when a city is captured you add it to the "to-update-stack" and when a minute has passed you grant vision around that city for a brief moment to update the mini-map.

Level 15
@Pinzu
I prefer hidden cities, so enemy can't watch my agenda without detectors :D

Then perhaps make it a research or something? ^^

I played many risk games with it, my favorite mode. But this is not risk, still - I can't explain it but it makes the game more competitive and players get a clearer sense what they have to do and what they are up against.

I gotta agree with Daffa here - this map has a lot of units dedicated to espionage, such as the Agent, Spy Satellite, and the Recon Plane. I just feel like revealing all enemy cities would make these a bit redundant.

Anyhow, i just released version 1.3i! In this version, you will get visual feedback on when your buildings are unpowered, disabled or on strike through a custom buff model hovering above them. There's also lots of other polish regarding diplomacy and unrest. Here's the full changelog:

• You can now review your causes of unrest by typing "-unrest", or through a button in the politics menu.
  • Custom status icons now properly appear above buildings that are unpowered, disabled, or on strike.
  • Increased the industral bonus for Plutocracy governments by 5%.
  • Cities and power plants will no longer go on strike.
  • Added a base income for iron and oil, to prevent players from getting stuck.
  • Players who are not in the game will no longer appear in diplomacy dialogs.
  • Multiboards are now automatically un-minimized whenever you select their icons.
  • Increased the impact that poverty has on unrest. Also lowered the levels at which a rebellion will occur.
  • Fixed a bug which allowed players to take loans from themselves, and even surrender to themselves(!).
  • The AI will now accept some lease requests you send to it (if it finds the tech useful).
  • Added a new buff model for radiation.
  • Temporary unrest now takes twice as long to go away.
  • You can now damage your own units (but not those of your allies). Theoretically, this means that players can build nuclear power plants next to cities, and intentionally detonate them in order to destroy the city (as a scorched earth tactic). It's not something i advocate, though.

The new version is attached to the main thread, and as always, in the diplomunion maps list.

My question is : What is the real interest for a player to be in a council?

I think that the fact that other council than UN can be made is not really exploited : a player who wants to go mad with nuclear weapons for example can just leave the council and have no real troubles/drawback

-What I would do would be to leave the UN as the only diplomatic council (only diplomatic!), which people could leave, but not create their own
-You would rather be able to create Economic associations (like the ASEAN) and Alliances such as NATO.

Alliances :
Not possible between players that are in and those out of UN : it makes the fact that leaving UN hinders your alliance capabilities. (people out of UN could still be able to create alliances between them ofc)
This way, big powers would stay in the UN to have a diplomatic influence, to force the smaller ones to accept policies such as nuclear use: they would not like to leave it as they want to keep their vital alliances (if someone wants to go mad with zombies, he would be isolated if he cannot drag other players with him). You could still make coalitions (just players talking to each others) INSIDE the UN to force some policies.

It would feel like cold war ;)

Economic associations:
Reduced cost for import, but the exporter still gets full gold + People don t need your agreement to buy your resources if you have oversupply. Some stuff like that

:) Loving your ideas btw

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback! I agree that there needs to be repercussions from leaving a council somehow, but still, i don't want to limit the ability to create new councils since i think this is important for the sandbox theme of the map. One idea is to add an unrest penalty from leaving councils, but there is a risk that players will not understand this and instead just be confused. The best thing would be if players would want to stay in a council due to some kind of benefits (related to the other member players). One thing i considered was that players within a council would somehow be able to send economic aid to eachother, without loaning, or that you could petition for all members to send economic aid to a member country (even though this might be something that players are likely to disagree on).

Like you said though, nuke policies might seem pointless if players can so easily evade them, but at least you will suspect what players are up to if they suddenly leave the council. I am open for any kinds of suggestions on how the council system could be made more attractive to players.

i don't want to limit the ability to create new councils since i think this is important for the sandbox theme of the map
That could be made through other kinds of councils like I proposed. I don t think the sandbox part of the game would suffer from a single diplomatic council which is actually simply about being able to use extreme warfare means. People in an other council are actually simply allies in a way. If other players nuke them, they would retaliate anyway, regardless of their current policies, which makes these policies useless... which is a shame as I find this is a great idea.
I think having policies about nukes/chemicals set to "Prohibited" at the beginning would be nice and lead to some stability (I would on the other hand make the nukes more powerful). I think a single council leads to more interactions between players, and people would less likely leave it as they would feel isolated (mostly if alliances are made as I suggested in the late post).

Version 1.4 is now attached to the main thread. New features include some awesome new units and models which you can see here:

attachment.php

Here is the full changelog:

• New unit models for the M109 Paladin, LAV-25, and Leopard 2A6!
  • During nuclear winters, there is now a chance that clouds of radioactive dust will spawn on the map. These will travel randomly and expose nearby units to strong radiation.
  • The amount of iron in Australia should now be slightly less ridiculous.
  • Temporarily disabled the Cthulhu event until i can figure out why it causes server splits. It is still available in single player, though.
  • Increased the amount of food provided by towns and cities.
  • Did some overal balancing to the distribution of resources around the map.

Attachments

• newmodels.jpg
    newmodels.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
I am really sorry guys, but it appears that the last version i uploaded was unplayable due to a pathing bug caused by the preprocessor. I am uploading a hotfix named 1.4a, which apart from fixing this issue, also adds some other neat features:

• There is now an option for liberating your puppets.
  • Puppet players are automatically liberated when their "master" leaves (instead of just when he's defeated).
  • Zombie mutants now have a tiny, tiny chance of further mutating into a "zombie horror", which is just what it sounds like.

The summer is about to get even hotter, as World Domination version 1.4b is now out and packed with new features!

UFOs will now randomly spawn from time to time, roaming around and occasionally abducting units to later place them at random spots on the map. If you should ever succeed in shooting down one of them, your scientists will be able to reverse engineer the wreckage allowing you to produce your own weaponized UFOs. These are unique in that they can attack all unit types, and deal explosive damage which is devastating to infantry.

attachment.php
A group of weaponized UFOs in combat.

There is also a new variant of the Heavy Tank: the T-62. It is cheaper and has a higher rate of fire than the Patton, but its lower damage and armor means it will usually lose in an even battle. The T-62 is used by all russian-aligned nations, including China, India, Africa and the Latin Alliance.

attachment.php

attachment.php
The T-62 ingame.

Another big feature is that theocratic nations will be able to produce suicide bombers from the barracks. These are cheap and expendable, and can be very effective if dropped into the enemy base by a helicopter or LAV.

attachment.php
A squad of suicide bombers

As if this wasn't good enough, there are a ton of other features, and you can find the full changelog here:

• New unit: the T-62. This will be the Heavy Tank for Russia, along with several other nations.
  • Radar domes can now upgrade into large radar domes, increasing their vision and detection range by roughly 50% (while also consuming twice as much power).
  • Theocratic nations can now train suicide bombers. They are quite cheap and very effective against structures, but die easily.
  • Added UFOs, which will randomly appear and abduct soldiers, to later put them down at a random location on the map. Shooting down an UFO will allow you to build your own through reverse engineering.
  • The random weather system will now have impact on your soldiers. Heavy winds will reduce the damage of airplanes, while blizzards will reduce the movement speed and life regeneration of ground units.
  • All players now start off at war with eachother, to make the game a bit more exciting.
  • Zombie Horrors now explode on death, covering nearby units in corrosive acid. Awful stuff.
  • Indonesia now counts as a second-world country, rather than third world. This means that the cities in indonesia will have more wealth.
  • Cthulhu is BACK! Please let me know if he still causes desyncs.
  • Added four new cities - Surabaya, Dabaw, Visakhapatnam and Hobart.
  • Manila is now a city, rather than a town.
  • Submarines and frigates have now been properly balanced.
  • Transport helicopters are now significantly cheaper.
  • It is now possible to cross from Sulawesi to New Guinea across shallows.
  • Further increased the supply provided by cities and towns.
  • Tweaked the damage tables so that heavy tanks should be more powerful against LAVs.
  • Capitols can now detect invisible units, to save players from stealth bomber rushes.
  • Reduced the cost and production time of wealth investments.
  • Reduced the cost of all artilleries.

Attachments

• UFOs.jpg
    UFOs.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 1,550
  • T-62_1.jpg
    T-62_1.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 756
  • T-62_2.jpg
    T-62_2.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 701
  • Bombers.jpg