• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Domination General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the loan bug you were mentioning - fortunately, the only thing that was bugged was the message, the loan itself is properly repaid. It will be fixed by next version.

I played as Russia and chose Cold War and after a few seconds EU began attacking me but I can't produce any units because I ran out of money. I can't even cancel the units I'm training even in the things I'm researching. I tried exporting and loaning to my allied countries but they keep rejecting it. So I just watched my base die.

It is always possible to cancel research. Just press the "cancel" button in the research tab. It is also always possible to cancel buildings constructing or upgrading, so this is a good way to start. Regardless, i am experimenting with adding two abilities to the economy tab: "cancel production" and "cancel all production". The first one will be targeted and clear the production of a stalled structure. The second will simply clear everything, in case you don't know what exactly it is that is causing the stall. We will see how it works.

Cold War could be renamed to East vs West.

Personally I find the puppet-state mechanic to be too shallow. It's mostly a mercy option that makes the victor just give up land and resources for his efforts and for what? The loser has a major grudge on you, never helps you and just wants his liberation. And you can't quite liberate him because while you were fighting he was building up, you might even have accepted a surrender while his nation was still very much intact so you ignore his request, and he keeps nagging you and nagging you. Nobody is happy about it.

Some suggestions:

- Have a designated Government City, if you capture it that faction have disorganization (or lose the option to use policy, diplomacy and research menus) penalty and must either establish a new government elsewhere or surrender. (Its basically a unit you can only train one of)
- The master can decide tax on his puppet and also restrict tech and units at will.
- The master can even take possession over cities or resources. These things you take possession over are still remembered as belonging to the puppet so if he revolts they immediately are given back.
- The above actions cause discontentment in the puppet state much like unrest. However it starts already with high unrest and grows very slowly.
- You should also be able to help your puppet by giving things or "leasing him a city". Lifting bans and restriction decreases the resentment but not as much as you caused by the restriction in the first place.

Now the question comes, how should a revolution work? In my opinion it should be a option that is available to the player after say 15 min (given good relations) or if the master is treating the puppet very harshly. I would also add that a revolt caused by negative reputation should give the puppet some bonuses when breaking free. Either in form of resource bonuses or temporarily increased tech-speed or something like that.

You already have plenty of incentive to make someone your puppet - you gain 30% of all their income, which in the end is much cheaper than tearing down and rebuilding all their resource production. I can add the option of setting your puppets tax rate - this is a good idea since the master can "punish" his puppet with high taxes if he doesn't attack. The issue, however, is where those buttons will be shown. The best option would be to have a separate "puppet menu" in the diplomacy tab, which appears if you have a puppet. As for puppet "unrest", things get harder. You want this meter to be shown in the same multiboard as the tab governs - but there is no space in the diplomacy multiboard. No matter how i do, this meter will be hard to spot for both the puppet and master, and might complicate things further. It is hard to keep track of what "treating harshly" means in concrete terms. The ability to take over structures would make it even less likely for players to surrender, and programming it would be a nightmare the way the production system works. I am still open for discussion about expanded puppet options, though.

Level 15
I found the loan bug you were mentioning - fortunately, the only thing that was bugged was the message, the loan itself is properly repaid. It will be fixed by next version.

- Did you also take a look at the dialog button when repaying a loan?
- Are you supposed to be limited to only loan from one nation?
- Found another bug regarding messages, when a ceasefire resolution is passed the message that its passed is displayed twice.

As for the discussion about puppet-states I'll leave it for another time. Didn't know you had a tax, perhaps some info should display this when you become a puppet. Does this tax also include iron and oil because currency becomes pretty much unnecessary when you are at a stage of conquering other nations.

Misc:
- You can't abandon a power plant, I know why would you want that? Trust me sometimes you do.
- I still really think workers need to have a disband ability as they can get stuck and are just taking up food, I also think infantry should have this option if they for example use a spell on a barrack they enter it and disband as it is. Provided they are not sick.

- Did you also take a look at the dialog button when repaying a loan?
- Are you supposed to be limited to only loan from one nation?
- Found another bug regarding messages, when a ceasefire resolution is passed the message that its passed is displayed twice.

As for the discussion about puppet-states I'll leave it for another time. Didn't know you had a tax, perhaps some info should display this when you become a puppet. Does this tax also include iron and oil because currency becomes pretty much unnecessary when you are at a stage of conquering other nations.

Misc:
- You can't abandon a power plant, I know why would you want that? Trust me sometimes you do.
- I still really think workers need to have a disband ability as they can get stuck and are just taking up food, I also think infantry should have this option if they for example use a spell on a barrack they enter it and disband as it is. Provided they are not sick.

- Yes, the tax also includes oil and iron - read the tooltip for the surrender button and you will find all information.

- The reason you cannot abandon power plants is so that players can't use nuclear power plants as bombs. I know this is a lame excuse, since i could just make it so that they don't explode when abandoned - but i didn't get around to solving this, so i just ended up skipping the ability altogether.

- The option for soldiers to disband at a barracks is actually a pretty good idea. I could also make it so that the money refunded is multiplied by the health percentage, so that a unit with 50% wealth would yield 0.5*[disband penalty]*[unit cost] in return. I think you've won me over on this, i might add it for the next version.

Level 15
- Yes, the tax also includes oil and iron - read the tooltip for the surrender button and you will find all information.

- The reason you cannot abandon power plants is so that players can't use nuclear power plants as bombs. I know this is a lame excuse, since i could just make it so that they don't explode when abandoned - but i didn't get around to solving this, so i just ended up skipping the ability altogether.

- The option for soldiers to disband at a barracks is actually a pretty good idea. I could also make it so that the money refunded is multiplied by the health percentage, so that a unit with 50% wealth would yield 0.5*[disband penalty]*[unit cost] in return. I think you've won me over on this, i might add it for the next version.

- Okey, perhaps just add a text message: "Russia has surrendered to China and is now a puppet state, 30% of its resources now goes to China." Or something like that?

- Hope you address that issue then. :p

- Hurray! I would go with 50% (or less) * health% so as not to have total refeund. Besides its not the money you are after but to free up food to fight on another boarder. This will also make the game favor people taking initiative late game without weakening their defenses too much, because if you are attacked heavily you can just disband your attacking army and start producing at home. I believe this to be a spam-map meaning you attack by placing down barracks and other defenses and to me this isn't a bad thing, and my belief is that this would play into that.

Will the disbandment also work for tanks? (Not that it is as needed as with infantry).

Last edited:
Level 19
Will the disbandment also work for tanks? (Not that it is as needed as with infantry).

Like scraping the tanks even with other units. It would be good too.

I have one question does public unrest increases when taxes are increased, high poverty and production of nuclear arms?

I also have a suggestion about the mass planes since it could be annoying like limiting the number of planes produced and/or giving them mana as fuel so they are required to come back to the airport to refuel and/even rearm and limit them to travel from continent to continent.

I have one question does public unrest increases when taxes are increased, high poverty and production of nuclear arms?

Yes, this is actually a perfect summary of the things that affect unrest, lol. You can always use the "-unrest" command to find out the sources of unrest, only thing that might be tricky is the "recent events" factor. Things that add to the "recent events" unrest are:

- Declaring wars
- Launching nukes
- Absolving debts

And maybe some more things that i've forgotten. By the way, people have been suggesting that i add a uranium as a resource in the game, what are your opinions on this? I can't add a new buildable structure for it, but i could add a capturable structure. Uranium would exist very sparsely on the map and be used for nuclear weapons and research, as well as some exclusive units. It would require quite a bit of work to add, so i want to know if it is worth it, or if it would just make the game more complicated.

EDIT: I could make it so that vehicles can be disbanded, this is completely up to you guys. If i didn't, people might think it is a bug or something that i forgot, lol.

Level 15
- Can't reply on the uranium need to give it more though.
- Yes to have vehicles be disband-able too.
- Another event: While researching zombie-virus there is a 20% risk that 2-3 of your units will be infected in a research accident.
- Should you be able to turn off zombie vaccine? Some times you want to feed a outbreak. :p (Perhaps remove the vaccination from workers).

In cold war - you can surrender and turncoat on your allies. Then you can be liberated and you have effectively switched sides. I would change that to once they lose their capital they are turned into "nomads" and can build a temporariy capital at their allies territory.

The general consensus for those who played cold war was: I'm not gonna vote for cold war again, it was messy. :p

Last edited:
Level 19
Yes, this is actually a perfect summary of the things that affect unrest, lol. You can always use the "-unrest" command to find out the sources of unrest, only thing that might be tricky is the "recent events" factor. Things that add to the "recent events" unrest are:

- Declaring wars
- Launching nukes
- Absolving debts

And maybe some more things that i've forgotten. By the way, people have been suggesting that i add a uranium as a resource in the game, what are your opinions on this? I can't add a new buildable structure for it, but i could add a capturable structure. Uranium would exist very sparsely on the map and be used for nuclear weapons and research, as well as some exclusive units. It would require quite a bit of work to add, so i want to know if it is worth it, or if it would just make the game more complicated.

Oh. I missed the unrest command but what about military unrest?
Or boosting your army or even lowering unrest by public propaganda. But I think it might be over complicated.

I agree with vehicles being able to be scrapped.

About the resources of uranium but it should be highly spread and rare since uranium are too expensive. Like a Desolator or Demolition Truck in Red Alert 3: Yuri's Revenge.

Chemical infantry units that spread hazardous chemicals to cities extremely effective against enemy units and increase public unrest to enemy cities.

Units with EMP devices to disable buildings or vehicles.

The side effects of nuclear war is nuclear winter. Mass rebellion against affected countries. Country-wide nuclear contamination.

In cold war - you can surrender and turncoat on your allies. Then you can be liberated and you have effectively switched sides. I would change that to once they lose their capital they are turned into "nomads" and can build a temporariy capital at their allies territory.

The general consensus for those who played cold war was: I'm not gonna vote for cold war again. :p

Hmm, i think i'll just disable surrendering all together for cold war mode. Was there anything else that was ruining the game apart from this?

Chemical infantry units that spread hazardous chemicals to cities extremely effective against enemy units and increase public unrest to enemy cities.

Units with EMP devices to disable buildings or vehicles.

The side effects of nuclear war is nuclear winter. Mass rebellion against affected countries. Country-wide nuclear contamination.

I agree on the EMP and chemical stuff, the hard thing is just to figure out what kind of unit it should be for it to make sense. Like, with EMP, how would the unit work? Should it be a unit completely dedicated to generating EMP charges? Or should it be an ability of some other new unit, such as an electronic warfare vehicle, or assault mech? With the chemical unit it is a bit easier - you could have a soldier with some kind of gas disperser, which deals damage over time to organic units it attacks.

Nuclear winter is already in the game, and is triggered by excessive use of nuclear weapons. Apart from generating global snowfall, it makes disasters much more frequent, and causes radioactive dust clouds to appear, hovering across the map.

Level 15
Hmm, i think i'll just disable surrendering all together for cold war mode. Was there anything else that was ruining the game apart from this?

Well hard to say, but for one the teams were imbalanced, as we weren't full house, but also the positions on the map and the name "cold war" just makes it sound more interesting then it is so people were just disappointed. Hard to say how to improve it with a quick fix. I would rather have a truly FFA mode then cold war, also I think the 4 team split seems to be a better idea and this is just distracting from it.

So modes would be:
Free For All
Open Diplomacy
Fixed Teams

Level 19
Let's see what should be done.

Nuclear winter could also increase solar radiation levels since the blasts could destroy the ozone layer.

It could be a combat aircraft which can destroy electrical systems but if it's too OP you can also use small EMP guns for infantry or agents to wield.

Level 15
I've given it some though and my feeling is that it is not a good idea to add another resource type at the moment. I'd suggest you polish the kinks of the current resource system before adding more layers on top of it.

Firstly I'd like to see the economy multiboard become the goto multiboard when all other menus have been deselected. In every strategy game resource management is key, especially in this game where you have production stalling therefor removing the need to constantly reelect that menu manually after you opened another menu is a good addition. I have mentioned this many times but yet received confirmation on it.

Some other things to address is that resources that you are supposed to own (in your territory) is hard to find. And I ask myself, why do platforms have to be built but cities are only needed to be captured? Wouldn't it be much easier for the player to have the naval oil-platform system for all resources or some variant of that, make captured resources count as workers so you can toggle between them or even make a button to quick-find unexploited resources that belong to you. Right now the most annoying part is when you select a worker through f7, the camera is moved and you have to relocate the resource again, not even mentioning getting a worker over there. I think this slows down the game needlessly.

Also if you could change it so the pings actually are useful, i suggest adding a button on the resource tab for resource-finding (one per resource) then when you click it a menu opens and it asks where you are looking, so the different areas of the map would appear (Africa, Europe, South America, etc. etc.) and the continent selected would be pinged. This menu could also give stats for you to work with that could be shared with the player. It would be interesting to know how much oil or iron exists in Africa for example..

Finally I am yet not completely happy with how stalling of production is managed. Something just feels off - it's a good idea but currently there is no "pause" button for different projects so you get stuck and if you are lucky you can cancel things, but often times you can't as you very well know (pause unit). This is a struggle with the limitations of warcraft 3, but I find it to be so annoying that I'm almost in favor of scrapping the current setup. Almost. :p

Last edited:
Version 1.4g is now released!

The Zubr-class Combat Hovercraft is now finished and ready to deliver communism to your neighborhood! It is a fast, amphibious vehicle capable of transporting a large amount of units. After deploying its troops, it can support them using its twin machinegun turrets which are effective against infantry. Hovercrafts can also be used in groups for hit-and-run missions, since they can outrun all enemy ships, but they suffer against most enemies in prolonged combat. These also benefit from the speed bonus of the Nuclear Turbines upgrade, something to keep in mind..

attachment.php

By popular request (popular as in "Pinzu wanted it"), it is now possible to disband ground units at their producing structure. In return, you will regain some of the resources spent multiplied by a constant factor of 50%, the units health percentage, its life quality and its number of facebook friends.

attachment.php

One feature which may have gone unnoticed by most, is that units gain veterancy from kills. Every five kills, the unit gains +1 damage and +5% attack speed. This is especially beneficial for high-dps units like LAVs, Infantry Tanks and Hovercrafts, so make sure you keep them alive! I have completed models for overhead badges which would indicate the units veterancy, but i've kept myself from adding them as they might interfere with regular buff models.

Changelog:

• New unit: the Combat Hovercraft.
  • It is now possible to disband ground units in return for some of their cost.
  • Added the option to cancel the production of stalled buildings from the economy tab.
  • The Cold War mode has been tweaked and should hopefully be more balanced.
  • Added two new abilities to the economy tab which allows you to ping nearby oil and iron respectively.
  • Various bugfixes.

Attachments

• Disband.jpg
    Disband.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 335
  • ZubrFleet.jpg
    ZubrFleet.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 369
It sounds like an idea, but i think this is one of the things you'd have to keep track on yourself by comparing the cost to how much resources you have (like in a normal rts). I'm trying to not bombard players with too many warnings. But perhaps, i can always try experimenting some.

I know you wanted a comment on the suggestion of letting the economy board be standard, but after some consideration i have to disagree with this. While playing, you often do a lot of rapid clicking, and sometimes you want to manage your units while also inspecting the politics tab, or keeping track of your research. When debugging, i also like to keep certain tabs open to observe, say, the change in unrest when i perform certain actions. I think that whether you see this as an inconvenience or not is a matter of preference. Perhaps i can add a line of code that says: "if playername == tag0 or playername == Pinzu then ShowEconomyMultiboard(true)" :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 19
I've played your latest version recently and I noticed some units are randomly spawned at the map like in this attached picture.

Fighter jets tend to move randomly without order and they even cancel orders and proceed to move in their own. I trained fighter jets and I didn't notice them until they are at the other side of the continent and begin attacking hostile cities. I tried to make them return to my base but still they don't follow the orders.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    967.1 KB · Views: 248
Units don't randomly spawn - they get abducted by UFOs and returned at random places. You can see that a unit has been abducted by the green hue it obtains.

About the airplanes - yes, this is an issue that i will try to fix. It has something to do with a recent change i did to the system, so worst case scenario i can just revert back to the previous version of it.

Version Update!

It's been quite some time since the last update, but version 1.4h is now released! This version features multiple new units as well as some important bugfixes.

To start off, the US has received two new jet variants: the F-16 Fighting Falcon and the infamous A-10 Thunderbolt. The F-16 is a superior air fighter with a low cost, albeit with a very poor ground attack. The A-10 on the other hand cannot engage air, and is a pure anti-vehicle unit with its powerful GAU-8 autocannon. Together they fill the role of the Jet Fighter that other factions have. This specialisation comes with some drawbacks - large numbers of A-10s will be devastating to tanks, but will be defenseless against air incursions. The F-16 is used by the US, Australia, Indonesia, and the Latin Alliance.

attachment.php

Some players have been expressing frustration over the fact that satellites are invulnerable to direct fire. Therefore, missile bases can now build Satellite Buster missiles, which can be fired with a limited range of 2700 kilometers (roughly the distance between Moscow and Islamabad). These will destroy satellites in a single hit, although it is possible to dodge them with some microing skill. They are cheaper than ICBMs and build rather quickly, so keeping a few of these in stock will effectively keep enemy satellites at bay. Just remember that they can be shot down by Recon Planes just like any other ballistic missile.

Full changelog:

• New units - the F-16 Fighting Falcon and the A-10 Thunderbolt.
  • New weapon - the Satellite Buster missile.
  • Once a player is defeated, all their buildings and units will now be killed. Cities will be given to neutral hostile. This is to make it easier to capture your allies land in locked allience modes, since you'd previously have to wait for your enemy to capture it before you could claim it for yourself.
  • It is no longer possible to surrender in locked alliance mode.
  • Cruise missiles will now stay at altitude until they are close to their target. This will prevent them from crashing into mountain sides.
  • Replaced the ugly ICBM explosion with a better one. It now feels more powerful.
  • Added crater doodads underneath the oil patches, to make them easier to spot in the fog of war.

Attachments

• Airplanes.jpg
    Airplanes.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 308
Added another version, number 1.4i. This is a very small update which mostly just adds the new Chemical Trooper unit, and gives Spec-ops Soldiers the ability to shadowmeld at night. Chemical Troopers are specialised anti-infantry units which come in squads of three. They fire corrosive acid over a large area which deals devastating damage to organic units, but virtually nothing to vehicles. These squads can be trained from the Infantry Base and require the Biological Warfare research. Here's a pic showing the new units:

attachment.php

Full changelog:

• New unit - the Chemical Trooper.
  • Spec-ops soldiers will now hide when idle during the night.
  • Destroyer missiles can now chase their targets slightly longer before expiring.
  • Predator Drones no longer have health regeneration. I'm not sure why they had this in the first place.
  • Various AI improvements.

Attachments

• ChemicalTrooper.jpg
    ChemicalTrooper.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 279
Level 32
Added another version, number 1.4i. This is a very small update which mostly just adds the new Chemical Trooper unit, and gives Spec-ops Soldiers the ability to shadowmeld at night. Chemical Troopers are specialised anti-infantry units which come in squads of three. They fire corrosive acid over a large area which deals devastating damage to organic units, but virtually nothing to vehicles. These squads can be trained from the Infantry Base and require the Biological Warfare research. Here's a pic showing the new units:

attachment.php

Full changelog:

• New unit - the Chemical Trooper.
  • Spec-ops soldiers will now hide when idle during the night.
  • Destroyer missiles can now chase their targets slightly longer before expiring.
  • Predator Drones no longer have health regeneration. I'm not sure why they had this in the first place.
  • Various AI improvements.
I haven't followed this project in a long time, on Hive and on Diplo. I didn't even know there was some sort of AI. Hooray for the update!

I'm looking forward to hosting this on Bnet :)

WorldDomination v1.5 is out, featuring some cool new stuff such as stargates *cough* - i mean Teleporter Gates, Research Stations, and EMP bombs!

Teleporters
A complaint i often hear when playng this map is that transporting units across continents is a bit of a hassle in the late game. To solve this, i've decided to add a new structure capable of instantly transporting units from one part of the map to another. Any two gates owned by a player can be linked to form a tunnel. The Teleporter requires fusion tech to build, and spends quite a lot of power while operational, but can be disabled just like most other structures to conserve power. If a gate is destroyed while a connetction is open, a shockwave will emit from the connected gate dealing damage in an area. Note that enemies can travel through your teleporter network as well, so be careful leaving the far end unattended lest the enemy will be given a shortcut into your base!

The Teleporter also comes with the first custom made building model made for this map, which you can see below.

attachment.php

Research Stations
Another complaint i've been hearing occasionaly is that research is too slow. This is an intentional decision to make technology lease contracts more desirable, but even so i decided to add in some extra targets of interest to boost the process. There are now two capturable research stations on the map - one on Greenland, and one on the south pole. Holding one of these will increase your research speed by 10%, the effect stacking up should you control both. Hopefully, this will make these otherwise rather uninteresting areas of the map a bit more contested.

attachment.php

EMP Bombs
Recon Planes now have the ability to drop EMP bombs, similar to how jet fighters can drop napalm. These bombs will stun all nearby enemy vehicles for 4 seconds, giving your ground units a chance to take pot shots at them. Having a score of Recon Planes drop their bombs in sequence can keep an enemy armored column disabled for a long enough period for you to pick them off. This ability requires an "EMP Bombs" research, which in turn requires fusion tech. The research is leasable.

Submarines rebalanced
I've been sad to see that attack submarines haven't really been useful in the previous versions of the map, mainly because of how a single frigate will allow the whole enemy fleet to engage them with their surface weapons, quickly taking them out. To compensate for this, all submarines now take 50% reduced damage from all non-submerged units. In other words, the best way to pick off submarines is now with other submarines.

Full changelog:

• New structure - the Teleporter.
  • New capturable structure: the Research Station.
  • New ability: the EMP bomb, with corresponding research.
  • Significantly reduced the cost and research time of fusion tech.
  • Submarines now receive 50% reduced damage from all non-submerged units.
  • All submarines are now equipped with sonar, so that they can spot eachother without the aid of a frigate.
  • AI markers will no longer show up in multiplayer games.
  • Added the ability for laser satellites to auto-aquire targets.
  • Empty player slots will now properly turn into neutral hostile in multiplayer games.
  • Fixed a bug which would cause airplanes to receive random orders (finally!!).
  • Increased napalm bomb damage over time.
  • The AI is now more efficient in managing resources.
  • Slightly increased the vision range of spies.

Attachments

• Teleporter.png
    Teleporter.png
    496.9 KB · Views: 222
  • ResearchStation.png
    ResearchStation.png
    341.5 KB · Views: 213
I'm hosting it right now if you want to join! Will be hosting some more games during the week as well as soon as i have time.

By the way, released a small update today, version 1.5b. Has a few new cool fixes, changelog below:

• It is now possible to select the amount of iron/oil you want to export when signing contracts.
  • Added a new bonus to the theocratic government - they are now given +20 extra population cap from the start. This should be very useful for nations with limited expansion options such as the Latin Alliance and Australia.
  • You now demand surrender from other players rather than requesting it, to avoid situations where a player would accidentally surrender to someone he has defeated.
  • Chemical Troopers now require the Biological Warfare tech and are properly disabled when biological weapons are banned.
  • You are now granted vision of the whole map once you or your team has won the game.
  • Space Centers can now produce new satellites after their currently linked one has been shot down, so you no longer need to produce a new space center for each satellite you build.

EDIT: We had a pretty fun game! A few players had tried the map before and we had some pretty exciting action going on from the start. Most people had to go to bed before the game ended, but the ultimate victory would have went to China, who was technologically pretty far ahead of his opposition. I was playing as the Arab League, allied with EU (a.k.a. ISIS Europe), and we battled both the alien mothership and Cthulhu. In a great display of honorable sacrifice, my arab missile bases (may Allah be with them) fired their strats on themselves to take out a whole army of indian MBTs standing next to them, ultimately granting victory. Unfortunately we never got to see any zombie outbreaks, however plenty of nukes and a laser satellite were taken to the field. The most hilarious player was "Trump States of America" who battled the latinos with his Trump Squads (national guards) while being overall sceptical to all non-western factions. I'm attaching the replay below if you want to check it out!

Attachments

• WorldDomination 30-11-2015.w3g
    789.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Level 19
I can only make one missile base and whenever I try to make another one it stops at 53 Hp.

150695d1448860925-world-domination-bug-2.png

This might be related to that it says that my iron is slow despite having 782 iron.

Attachments

• Bug 2.png
    Bug 2.png
    903.6 KB · Views: 297
All right, after a long break, i am now uploading version 1.5b. The main feature of this build is that i've added new models for cities, as well as for the anti-ballistic lasers. Recon Drones and Chemical Troopers also get a well-needed buff. Thanks to HerrDave and The_Silent for the new models.

attachment.php

PS: @apcrabnightlive, i will look into this. If you can't build or upgrade anything while this bug is active, it might be because there is a struct leak somewhere and the game has run out of indexes. If you can't research in the research menu, then it must be that the main loop timer has somehow stopped, which would be bad... i hope that by research you mean upgrading structures.

Full changelog:

• Added new model for cities, towns and capitols.
  • Added new model for the Anti-Ballistic Laser
  • Chemical Troopers now spawn a cloud of corrosive acid when attacking, dealing area damage for a short time.
  • Reduced the cost of Recon Drones and Attack Helicopters. Drones are now great early-game units for scouting and harassing, and you should totally use them.
  • Various bugfixes.

Attachments

• wd01.jpg
    wd01.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 242
Level 14
Hi Fingolfin,

First of all: I usually don't like these Wc3 world domination type maps, but I really like your map a lot!

You put so much detail in this map (wow!), plus you really made an AI, that does react very stably over almost an hour of gameplay (played around 50 mins). Would be great, if AI was able to trade and so on, but I understand that this is a lot of "not very necessary" work.

I encountered two strange things:
1. sometimes soldiers stay on the ground burning, when they are killed. (I think by explosions, but not sure).
2. howercraft tend to sink underwater, which looks very strange.
( sry if I played an old version)

Overall, this is the most entertaining version of such type of strategy game for wc3, I have ever played. So thank you, for making this map! :)

ps: the C&C soundset and the C&C like trees fit so well!

Thanks a lot!! It makes me happy to hear that. The AI does actually trade, it's just that you need to be neutral to it, and the AI will only accept peace if it is at war with more than one other faction. It accepts trade requests if it has more than twice as much currency as it has of the resource you're offering (or something like that). I am gonna make an improved AI aggro system soon, since right now it just declares war on one player and doesn't stop until it is dead, regardless of what happens or who attacks it.

As for the visual bugs, the "burning soldiers" are a problem with the model, which has a faulty death animation. I will make my own soldier models later, so hopefully that won't be an issue for much longer. I can't do much about the hovercrafts, it's just the way this game works, but it does bother me too.

I'm working on a new version now which will have a new "hacking" feature that i really like. Agents can hack enemy structures, with a success chance which depends on your researched hacking level vs the enemy firewall level. If you succeed, you will get a reward depending on the type of structure hacked (resources, technology, or information). If you fail, the enemy will be notified and pinged, and the agent will become visible for 60 seconds. As a side note, i'm also considering adding a game mode where one player gets to play as invading aliens, playing with the mothership and a whole new arsenal against the other players. Anyone who is defeated by the alien player would join him. I'd love to hear what everyone's opinions are on this.

Level 19
The burning soldiers is bothering especially if a lot of them in a small area.

The hacking feature would be great to give more power to the agents. Something similar to RA2 where you could disrupt their power system, produce new units, and disrupt their satellite feed.

I would like to see an alien faction there. It gives more fun in the game.
Maybe a new game mode where humans vs. aliens? Where they gain new technologies in order to fight the alien factions. It would be great to see.

Level 14
The AI does actually trade, it's just that you need to be neutral to it

sry, didnt figure this out!

As for the visual bugs, the "burning soldiers" are a problem with the model, which has a faulty death animation. I will make my own soldier models later, so hopefully that won't be an issue for much longer. I can't do much about the hovercrafts, it's just the way this game works, but it does bother me too.

Don't worry too much, as it is not interfering with gameplay :)

I'm working on a new version now which will have a new "hacking" feature that i really like.

As a side note, i'm also considering adding a game mode where one player gets to play as invading aliens,

Awesome ideas!

Level 19
I believe that the experimental units and alien mode should be separate from the World Domination map because it moves away from the modern warfare theme of the map.
Honestly I'm hyped with these ideas but this should have their own map.

I support unit diversity in the factions because it creates more individuality in each nation rather than a faction which is the same as another one.

Level 14
I believe that the experimental units and alien mode should be separate from the World Domination map because it moves away from the modern warfare theme of the map.
Honestly I'm hyped with these ideas but this should have their own map.

I support unit diversity in the factions because it creates more individuality in each nation rather than a faction which is the same as another one.

Good point. Still as a separate game mode, it would be a plus for the map, I think. Maybe some ancient society threatening humanity like in crysis 1 would be a good thing instead of aliens. Would be a quite modern scenario (and not science fiction), as humans polute and destroy the seas heavily and are not even aware of around 2% of their volume - this ancient marine society would take vengeance or clear the human thread from the planet.

I would not include stuff like this in the regular gameplay either, as this would certainly overload gameplay..

All right, so i just finished a game which was really fun, but one player was quite verbal about the "lack of balance", most specifically about the stealth bombers being cheesy. Does anyone else agree on this? Is there anything that feels imbalanced to you?

With the stealth bombers, i originally had it so that they would become temporarily visible while attacking, but some people felt that this took away from the idea of a stealth bomber. One way to make it more easy to counter them could be to make it so that radar domes don't require the "radar manipulation" tech, and instead make it so that this tech is just required for the large radar dome. I want to hear your opinions first, though.

Level 27
Well this is nice, reminds me of Han Han's Nuclear Sunrise (or whatever it was called, really), and Starcraft 2 Doomed Earth. Nice to see it has solid AI, too.

In any case, I see you've added zombies and random events like Atlantis or UFOs, any plans to implement more sci-fi features, like tiebreaking giant robots of doom that are hard to counter and explode upon destruction, or time travel permitting you to summon knights and dinosaurs to distract the hostiles?

All right, so i just finished a game which was really fun, but one player was quite verbal about the "lack of balance", most specifically about the stealth bombers being cheesy. Does anyone else agree on this? Is there anything that feels imbalanced to you?

With the stealth bombers, i originally had it so that they would become temporarily visible while attacking, but some people felt that this took away from the idea of a stealth bomber. One way to make it more easy to counter them could be to make it so that radar domes don't require the "radar manipulation" tech, and instead make it so that this tech is just required for the large radar dome. I want to hear your opinions first, though.
Making radars more accessible sounds like a pretty good way to handle it. A free radar at the capital wouldn't hurt either.

Well this is nice, reminds me of Han Han's Nuclear Sunrise (or whatever it was called, really), and Starcraft 2 Doomed Earth. Nice to see it has solid AI, too.

In any case, I see you've added zombies and random events like Atlantis or UFOs, any plans to implement more sci-fi features, like tiebreaking giant robots of doom that are hard to counter and explode upon destruction, or time travel permitting you to summon knights and dinosaurs to distract the hostiles?

This is actually a genius idea... i figured out a cool way of implemting this:

As soon as players start building and using teleporter gates, there is a 8% chance every 5 minutes of a temporal rift opening somewhere on the map, due to a disturbance in the space-time continuum. This rift would spawn dinosaurs which attack all ground units, and also lay eggs, which spawn new baby dinosaurs. The rift will last for 10 minutes, or until someone drops an EMP bomb on it (this will be suggested by a hint after a minute has passed). A teleporter gate being destroyed while a portal is active, or an agent successfully hacking a gate, will also have a small chance of spawning a rift. Let me know what you think about this!

Regarding the giant end-game robots, i'm personally quite interested in this, but people seem to have mixed opinions. I made a poll on diplomunion regarding this, you can check it out here, and read some about the suggestions i had in mind.

Making radars more accessible sounds like a pretty good way to handle it. A free radar at the capital wouldn't hurt either.

It's funny that you should mention this - the capitol already has radar detection since a while back, but it's nice to hear that this was a good decision. :)

Level 19
If this rift gate will be implemented then I would support the making of experimental units. This will benefit any nation to further fend off alien or any other creatures attracted to the temporal rift. Is it just dinosaurs or other multiverse creatures?

Nice to hear! I could always add an option to disable all the far-out stuff if people want a more realistic game. Right now i'm just adding dinosaurs for the temporal rift, but i could also consider a type of rift that leads to a different, hellish dimension that spawns demonical creatures.

We will see how things progress with the experimentals, i want to do some more planning before i start implementing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.