• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Working on Fullscreen systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently working on a fullscreen setting selection system to replace the current clunky spellbook-based one.

Current progress:

Edit: More progress
Yes, it's a mess at the moment but you should be able to get the idea.

• Far Left: Game mode selection
    • I'll probably just include a button for each game mode
    • Currently selected gamemode will be displayed at the top of this area

• Mid Left: Game area selection
    • A button for each available area
    • I might add a small screenshot preview image for selected area if the images won't end up taking too much filesize

• Mid Right: Game modifier selection
    • Buttons to enable/disable any of the game modifiers

• Far Right: Settings depending on currently selected element
    • Buttons for kill limit, life limit, teams, etc

• Bottom: Character customization
    • The cloth behind the character displays players' team

Note that the whole system is in a very early state; tons of changes will be made.
Also, none of the terrain will be visible once the system is ready.

Got any suggestions/comments/questions regarding the layout and/or elements?

Last edited:
  • the curtains perspective looks a bit bad for players on the sides IMO
Your suggestion is?
  • add something to the sides, a pillar would do
The more up-to-date screenshot has the bottom sides covered.
I'll still be experimenting with the textures for those though.
  • a ready button at top right of the screen might be good
Yes, a ready button is needed.
I'll make the other elements first and then see where the button fits best.
  • perhaps add some sort of metallic frame in the outer part instead of using Boundary
Yeah, more models will be added to cover all terrain.

For the Game Area Selection, I would suggest something like in Illidan(Evil)X's Mass Destruction, so that the players can have a preview in the area they want to select.
Gotta see how that is done.
BnG already has a rotating camera preview for the terrains but it might be good to have screenshots displayed in the menu screen as well.
I'll have to see if this takes too much filesize or not.
The models looks scary(im referring to those warriors)
You should have at least put a default face and head model.
Yep yep, they will all have heads in the finished version.

Thanks for the suggestions!

If the screenshots is good then go for the screenshots,but the rotating map preview is good as well(how about an in-game GIF? XD)
Rotating preview is already in game and will remain there.
The only problem with it is that while looking at the preview, you can't see the fullscreen menu.

I was thinking of having both; screenshot in the menu, which could be clicked to view the rotating preview camera.

You could try making instead of clicking modes, how about movement keys and just press enter to select mode and place.
BnG is a map for a PC game, not console.
Clicking is much faster, smoother and easier.

Also add some borders to the selection. It looks weird without borders.
Yes, the top part is still pretty much completely unfinished.
Buttons and borders coming soon.

Thanks for suggestions!

Level 30
Rotating preview is already in game and will remain there.
The only problem with it is that while looking at the preview, you can't see the fullscreen menu.

I was thinking of having both; screenshot in the menu, which could be clicked to view the rotating preview camera.

BnG is a map for a PC game, not console.
Clicking is much faster, smoother and easier.

Yes, the top part is still pretty much completely unfinished.
Buttons and borders coming soon.

I suggest add some borders in each button in the Full Screen Options.

Thanks for suggestions!

I suggest add some borders like in buttons in Dialogs in each button in the Full Screen Options.

Looks cool. My suggestions are simply to make sure you check this in multiplayer, since I know most full screen systems can be prone to desyncs once you start to integrate GetLocalPlayer() in it.

Also, if you are looking for a method on how to add icons, you may want to look into this:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...9130/?prev=search=CustomInventory&d=list&r=20
Basically, you can use the imported base model, then assign it as a destructable. It has replaceable textures enabled so you can set the destructable texture to any icon you want. You may already know this, but it is a good tip for any full-screen developer since a lot of people resort to using images instead.

Good luck on this! It's coming along well.

Level 20
Kitabatake said:
Your suggestion is?
I don't think there is any way to "fix" this ;o
Well I'm sure that when you add the pillars on side and add somehthing above it to "close" it, it should be fine.

Kitabatake said:
Gotta see how that is done.
BnG already has a rotating camera preview for the terrains but it might be good to have screenshots displayed in the menu screen as well.
I'll have to see if this takes too much filesize or not.
I think that will take huge filesizes, because quality of the texture will have to be clear therefore it can't be compressed a lot, and there are 5-6 areas so emm...too much size >_<

Kitabatake said:
Yep yep, they will all have heads in the finished version.
no we prefer them headless!

Some of the letters are quite overlapping in the box. You should fix that =)
Yeah, button sizes and precise layout is still work in progress.

Looks cool. My suggestions are simply to make sure you check this in multiplayer, since I know most full screen systems can be prone to desyncs once you start to integrate GetLocalPlayer() in it.
Thanks for the suggestion, gotta pay attention to that.

Also, if you are looking for a method on how to add icons, you may want to look into this:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...9130/?prev=search=CustomInventory&d=list&r=20
Basically, you can use the imported base model, then assign it as a destructable. It has replaceable textures enabled so you can set the destructable texture to any icon you want. You may already know this, but it is a good tip for any full-screen developer since a lot of people resort to using images instead.

Good luck on this! It's coming along well.
Yes, I'm familiar with replaceable textures, I'll keep the suggestion in mind.
I might end up using separate custom models instead of icons but we'll see how it turns out.
I'm still sort of searching for a good style for the system and experimenting with textures. After that I'll shift focus to the actual buttons and functionality.

I think that will take huge filesizes, because quality of the texture will have to be clear therefore it can't be compressed a lot, and there are 5-6 areas so emm...too much size >_<
That's true and having custom screenshots would also complicate the process of adding new areas to the map.
Perhaps I'll simply have one button for previewing the selected terrain.

Mate I will be honest and say that so far it looks too cartoonish to me with all this colours. So far I like more old way.

Actually the curtains could just be one-color. Just to show who owns it,you might just show a floating text above the head which shows the player's name. Gamers don't care about the color.
Yeah, the colors do look a bit cartoony. However, they are there to indicate teams so they are too important to remove.
I am planning to make team selection more flexible (the current system divides players to teams strictly according to their player number).

Here's an attempt with toned-down teamcolors:
I'll need to do some more experimenting with the textures.
I'm not very convinced with the character platform and border texture choices.

Btw. if any of you have good in-game texture suggestions for the screen elements (borders, buttons, etc), let me know!

Also, as a reminder:
The whole system is pretty much in experimental pre-alpha stage, which means that massive changes will happen before it is ready.

Thanks to all suggestions!

Level 30
Looks really good but the problem as I say are the letters are quite overlapping and also the border like shapes are blending in the BG in the down side.

And how about make the units in the down side, the Swordsman play different animation IF THEY ARE UNITS though.

More progress:

I'll probably use the round buttons also for modifiers.
The bot threshold selection is now a "slider" kind of thingy.
I might make kill limit/life limit/time limit selections in the same way.

Note: The system is still an early wip; Button positions and minor details will be fixed a bit later.

Looks really good but the problem as I say are the letters are quite overlapping and also the border like shapes are blending in the BG in the down side.

And how about make the units in the down side, the Swordsman play different animation IF THEY ARE UNITS though.
The floating texts are mostly placeholders. I'll fix the borders later.
The swordsmen at the bottom are the exact same character customization units that have been used in current and older map versions.

Thanks for suggestions!

More progress:

Now the character platforms have an offline/online indicator to show which characters belong to players and which belong to bots.
Also the "slider buttons" have now been mostly triggered.

Now I'll need good in-game texture symbols for "kill limit", "lives", "time limit" and "bot count".
They can be icons or parts of other textures since they will be used in a model.

So far the best suggestions are:
Kill limit: Sacrifice ability icon
Lives: Resurrection ability icon
Time limit: Bnet tournament clock texture
Bots: Engineering upgrade icon

Let me know if you got better suggestions!

Small steps towards completion:
There's now icons to indicate bot threshold, kill limit, life limit and time limit buttons.
Also, dummy items have been added to provide mouse-over tooltips to those icons (thanks to phunmung5173 for the suggestion).

Those small icons looks ugly. Too much details on too small things.
...and your suggestion is?

But yeah, it is true that the buttons are a bit obscure at the moment.
However, I don't see an easy fix for this.
  1. Increasing button size would probably end up consuming too much space (and the icons aren't very informative to begin with).
  2. Mouse-over tooltips from dummy items cannot be used since the buttons themselves need to be clickable (the item would block the click and item selection cannot be detected as far as I know).
  3. Writing descriptions or button names with floating texts next to them would work, but I believe it would look quite ugly.

If anybody has suggestions to this problem, let me know!

Level 30
Not really that major suggestion but you should take the selections into the middle because the left part looks too occupied and also the right looks empty. But if there will be more options to the empty areas, disregard this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Not really that major suggestion but you should take the selections into the middle because the left part looks too occupied and also the right looks empty. But if there will be more options to the empty areas, disregard this.
Minor layout related issues will be fixed when the system is ready.
I'm currently focusing on the buttons and functionality.
Bigger is my suggestion. Should be a clear thing.
Well, it would only consume more space.
The button icons themselves are trivial and uninformative so I don't really see any reason to allocate excessive amounts of screen space for them.
I think you can use text tags to display texts instead of floating texts.
Those are the exact same thing.
I'd rather avoid using it since the actual quality of the text is quite poor.

Progress is slow but steady!
Modeled, animated and added "info"-buttons next to the game mode buttons.
Also replaced the engineering upgrade icon with AI icon as I think it fits better to depict the bot threshold setting.

They are basically dummy items that work like this:
Mouse-over will display the name and clicking them will show a short description at the bottom center of the interface (as seen in the first screenshot).

I am sorry then. How about creating buttons with texts included below them? That way the button and text will be counted as one trackable only. And since the text is created by a separate program, it can be anything you want.
I don't use any trackables because I find them too clunky.

I suggest using a CustomBar model will be nice. Esp. those of JesusHipster?
Hmm? For what purpose?

Also, the GameMode is too far from the map selection.
Yes yes...
I believe I've said it for seven times already that the layout will be fixed when the buttons and functionality are done.

Game modes and modifiers will all be represented with the hexagonal buttons but I haven't decided on the game area buttons yet.
They might remain rectangular as they are now. I'll probably improve the button model a bit though.
Also gotta add a preview button there for the terrains.

Some progress:
A basic "Ready"-button has been modeled and included now.
I might create some small elements around that button to indicate which players are ready.
Also, the area selection buttons have been remade and the whole system has been triggered a bit further towards completion.

Reminder: it is still a work in progress and all the elements will be put into place after the whole system is ready.
(So don't bother with position/layout related comments at this stage, thanks.)

Why aren't you using trackables?
They are not versatile enough for my purposes.
That thumb icon is good size but still those icons at the left are too small.
Hmm yeah, I could slightly increase the game mode button sizes.

But I wonder, is this truly worth it? I mean the game already works, why waste months for this if this doesn't improve the game much at all. I don't get it.
But of course you don't get it.
You develop maps for the sake of uploading them.
I develop maps for the sake of experimenting and developing new stuff.

My goal is not to "finish" BnG II.
My goal is to find new ways to improve BnG II.

Level 30
I like your goal very much Kita. Well thought and here is my suggestion, I ont know if this is already suggested but maybe you should make a preview of the Places when they are clicked because starters dont know the areas yet and you dont expect them to discover themselves by playing it many times...lol!

I like your goal very much Kita. Well thought and here is my suggestion, I ont know if this is already suggested but maybe you should make a preview of the Places when they are clicked because starters dont know the areas yet and you dont expect them to discover themselves by playing it many times...lol!

Yeah I'm going to have a button for the preview camera.
However, it would be good to have some info about the terrains visible already in the default fullscreen view before having to press any buttons.
Screenshots were already determined to require too much work and filesize to be implemented.

Hmm...
Got any ideas/suggestions?

But is that really new 'stuff'?
Yes, it did not exist in the previous map version.
Furthermore, it is not a recreation of any existing system since I experiment to find the optimal way to create every element of the system.
And you're wrong thinking I create map just to upload them to internet. Besides, why even talk about my resources in a topic like this. You're going too personal right here, right now.
Just putting things into perspective for the sake of clarity.

Bumping the thread with more progress:

The buttons are now super-shiny!
Also, there's been more progress with the triggers so I assume that the system will be completely functional pretty soon.

ToDo:
  • Buttons for game modifiers
  • Floating text or something to indicate selected Bot threshold, Kill limit, Life limit and Time limit.
  • Fix the layout

Level 20
I think red color for the ones not used don't fit, IMO red color should be the disabled areas for certain games modes like battlezone

example:
When you choose Duel Arena Mode
Red Color = Island, Boss Room, Battle Zone, Ship (the areas that DO NOT support this game mode)
Purple Color = Jade Throne, Forest Pond, Void, Tavern (the areas that support this game mode)
Green Color = the Current Selected Area (obviously)

so that way you know which areas can be used when you select a mode,
you could also use Teal instead of Purple color as it looks good aswell.

More progress!

Game modifiers are now implemented.
Modifier and area availability now depends on currently selected game mode.

ToDo

• Ability level selection
  • Team selection
  • Spectator mode
  • Terrain preview
I think red color for the ones not used don't fit, IMO red color should be the disabled areas for certain games modes like battlezone

example:
When you choose Duel Arena Mode
Red Color = Island, Boss Room, Battle Zone, Ship (the areas that DO NOT support this game mode)
Purple Color = Jade Throne, Forest Pond, Void, Tavern (the areas that support this game mode)
Green Color = the Current Selected Area (obviously)

so that way you know which areas can be used when you select a mode,
you could also use Teal instead of Purple color as it looks good aswell.
Thanks for the suggestion!
However, I already have the colors in place.
  • Red = Deactivated button
  • Green = Activated button
  • Teal = Activated button (locked)
  • Black = Disabled button (not available)
Also the sliders use Purple to indicate infinite value (such as infinite kill limit/lives/time limit)

More progress!
Round settings have been clarified a bit.
Also a terrain preview button has been added (yeah gotta reposition it later)

Here's how the round settings work at the moment:

124756-albums909-picture71454.gif
It's supposed to be as clear and fast to use as possible.
Let me know if you have improvement suggestions or comments.

ToDo

• Team selection
  • Spectator mode
  • Terrain preview
Not much remaining now!
  • I'll probably do the ability level selection as one new "slider" so the host can select which level the abilities start on (0,1,2,3)
  • I'm not sure which way would be best to do team selection.
    • All players should be able to select their team.
    • Player 1 should be able to determine team sizes.
    • Player 1 should be able to change any player's team.
  • Spectator mode will probably be created as a third "gender" kind of.

Let me know if you got any suggestions or comments regarding the systems current or upcoming features!

Time to bump the thread with lots of progress!

Improvements:
  • Bot skill level can now be selected (1-3)
    • These skill levels haven't been triggered into the AI yet though
  • Amount of teams can now be selected
    (Coop, FFA, 2 teams, 3 teams, 4 teams, 5 teams, 6 teams)
    • Players will be automatically divided to teams accordingly
    • Player colors now reflect their team
    • Players can also switch teams by using the new buttons
  • Initial ability level can now be selected (0-3)
    • If level is set to 0, players will start with only defend, slash, and kick.
      Other abilities must be unlocked with skillpoints that are gained upon leveling.
  • Characters now display certain animations depending on the player's role
    • Kneeling character will participate but is not yet ready.
    • Standing character is ready to start.
    • Sitting character will spectate instead of playing the next round.

ToDo

• Team selection
    • Still got to make it easier to switch teams
    • Player 1 must be able to change other players' teams
    • Player 1 must be able to lock the teams
  • Spectator mode
    • Got to actually code the spectator status into the game modes

During tests, some players complained that the buttons were too small.
Game mode and modifier button sizes have been doubled to accommodate players with smaller screens.
The settings buttons in the middle have no space to be increased in size so I hope they are visible enough for everyone.

Also, it would be good if there was some way to tell the purpose of each modifier buttons without having to click them all to see the floating texts.
If anybody has suggestions to improve this, let me know!

Level 37
^Actually right. The icons simply doesn't work well enough with each other. It's like thousands of themes altogether.

These icons feel like randomly selected for the interface. It ruins the awesomeness of Game Mode Panel.

Look at the ability panel for example. Just what!? An undead face, then a revenant, a weird naked man and finally a map. Ehh. Also, the coloring and lightning with these icons is so different it makes me sad.

TLDR: You created an awesome Game Mode Panel but you ruin it by your laziness with adding random Blizzard icons.

Attachments

• dadadadd.jpg
    dadadadd.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 219
Status
Not open for further replies.