• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Wiki

wiki?

• YES WIKI

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • NO WIKI

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • WHATEVER

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
You people are downplaying the usefulness of searchability like you have faith in the parts of humanity that use the internets.

Level 7
A wiki? That'd be great, if it will be clean and stuff.
I agree with tutorials (I say that there should be one tutorial for one thing, 1 tutorial for 'how to skin', 1 for 'how to do a model' etc; Also, tricks and tips on how to '' should be on one page, for example 'how to make xeffect' should be on the same page on 'how to make yeffect'.

And I agree that we should have user pages and wiki links. It would be great.
For example, we could have the history of the site, etc.

I vote for a wiki. And I want to have a page about myself :D

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I would like it purly as a depository for all the JASS knowledge that has been discovered over time. Like any bugs with certain natives or what they are capable of. Equally well it should have articles on the various object editor fields, again with their limitations and details describing exactly what it does.

The Answer
What LOTR crap?

My idea was to have up a Wiki with articles about website users (not necessarily the Hive's), characters from stories and movies such as Lord of the Rings, Warcraft, custom roleplay themes (my Dawn and Twilight, for example. I'd love to have a Wiki to deposit information about it)...
Yarly.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'd approve of that sort of stuff, but I don't want all that Lord of the Rings crap on there.

If you want that then go here, or something.
If we accept more than one lore, there's nothing wrong in accepting them all.
Don't tell me it's just because it's Lord of the Rings.

They provide concrete features that do not exist elsewhere in the forums. Therefore I see no reason to get rid of them and I see reason to keep them.
They are bugged, at the moment. I'd keep them away until vBulletin releases a patch that fixes them for good.

Level 35

I am a Tolkien fanatic of course...

___

I just don't see 'why' a wiki is a bad idea. If it causes trouble...take it down...If it succeeds, horray for progress!

And besides, it would be a great place to store things for 'general reference', without having to go through the littered posts of hundreds of users in dusty old threads that more often than not, lack, in what you specifically need. And with a wiki, all parties will be able to input their 'tips, tricks, information, lore, etc' like one massive conglomerate post of knowledge. The collective 'HIVE' mind's knowledge.

Level 5
Why do people even care? IF the Wiki would become reality then don't use it, it's that simple. And IF the Wiki wouldn't then.. well.. continue with what you are doing on the forums. (Yes ladies and gentlemen, it's that simple)

I don't mind having a Wiki at the hive, but I don't think I would use it.

Level 14
BearMan said:
And what's with the attitude man? o_O
I'm not sure. If I knew what attitude you were referring to I'd tell you. Sorry if you assumed there was one.
BearMan said:
Example please? Speculation. Anything, a fact perhaps.
I hate using the website that hosts my maps as an example, but it has a poorly maintained wiki that I can't remove that makes the site look really dumb. Clan Valor & Zeal Homepage since you need an example and don't believe me. Now come the hell on, you know that what I said is true. :/

Level 18
As a speculation I meant "Why do you speculate/guess/have proof/whatever that the bad Wiki would degrade the site?"

I am sure you are telling the truth I just wanted to see an example, since I was almost sure you have one. And you do, a badly maintained Wiki would degrade the site, but I am sure The Hive could properly maintain it. And if not I am sure deletion isn't that hard. I'm sure 80% of the active users wouldn't even notice something had happened.

Edit: It would basically be an experiment that could either increase the offers of the site, or do nothing. But that's your point, right.

Level 24
If someone came to this wiki and found LotR lore, why the hell would that reflect positively towards a Wc3 community. Name a valid reason, and I will consider changing my mind, but until then, my mind in set on that this idea should be wc3 related and only wc3 related.

Level 24
[HIGHLIGHT]The Off-topic forum is horrible[/code] enough as it is, we don't need to add it.

D:

Level 15
It's not going to completely ruin the hive, and the benefits far outweigh the cons, how few the pros and cons may be. If the users of the hive want to help, and contribute useful info to the wiki, then it's helped the site, if they haven't, then it didn't work out the way we planned, but how does it really hurt the hive?

Level 27
The collective 'HIVE' mind's knowledge.
I believe we have found the name.
Why not? We have threads in off topic that are related to other things...shall we remove off topic?
There are some fundamental differences between a forum and a wiki. Forums are for talking and wikis are for publication, for lack of an immediately better word. It's the difference between talking about random stuff and publicizing random stuff. If we allow The Hive Mind wiki to have articles about anything, we would just end up a copy of something like Wikipedia. It's only by restricting it to a specific subject that our wiki would have any use at all.

That said, I do not think we should focus on having things like Lord of the Rings in our wiki. There are wikis dedicated to Lord of the Rings where you can go for that specific subject. Our wiki should be restricted to Hive related things, such as users, events, and of course, Warcraft III modding.

Level 14
Traxamillion said:
its not needed, but it doesn't take away fromt he site either.
If the wiki isn't maintained properly, it will reflect negatively upon the site. Just like how unmaintained and neglected forums become a point of shame for the site. (See: JASS forums) If people can take care of it, then have a ball. It is not difficult to grasp.

Anyways, Hakeem is right.
Hakeem said:
That said, I do not think we should focus on having things like Lord of the Rings in our wiki. There are wikis dedicated to Lord of the Rings where you can go for that specific subject. Our wiki should be restricted to Hive related things, such as users, events, and of course, Warcraft III modding.
Absolute truth.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I don't know, really. I'd go for it, but I wouldn't like to have it restricted to Warcraft III stuff.

Because of that, I was willing to go for an independent wiki, and I wanted to talk to Deathcom3s about it, but it seems somebody guessed my thoughts and murdered him.

Level 7
If you can get a host and a domain if you want i can help you with the wiki.

But there is a catch, a wiki needs a really good MySql management because with time the database will get ... HUGE (1-2 gb, Wikipedia's db is ~10-11 gb) and a good management team to remove the unwanted pages.

Or even simpler request one at Wikia

Level 24
The only con I can see is people editing it for lulz.
I made a vote for this.

I am not taking any responsibility for the wiki if we get it.

[HIGHLIGHT]The topic is this though: Hive, Wc3 and SC2[/code]

This from DSG's post, and it doesn't seem broad enough to go anywhere else.

I would like it purly as [HIGHLIGHT]a depository for all the JASS knowledge that has been discovered over time. Like any bugs with certain natives or what they are capable of. Equally well it should have articles on the various object editor fields, again with their limitations and details describing exactly what it does.[/code]

Level 7
Remember the last Hive Wiki? It was thrown away. (Well I dont really know what happened) But it went ka-blam. Although I like the idea of the lulz there really wouldnt be a purpose for a wiki.. Unless its to show all the people, and who they are.

Level 24
The last "Hive" wiki was a joke from the start, and is still running. THW has disassociated itself with the wiki, but it still exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.