• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A WorldEditor wiki!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey guys, I have started a new site called worldeditor.org (site may not resolve for a few more hours) that contains a Wiki that I edited a lot while I was making maps and doing things with the WorldEditor.

I've seen some other Warcraft 3 wikis, and some did have some focus on the WorldEditor, but I really thought it deserves it's own website. The goal of this site is to document each Event, Action, etc. in as much detail as possible. There are a lot of triggers that have quarks and "gotchas", many of which are covered here, but it can take some digging through long threads of which some are dead ends.

This isn't an attempt to take anyone away from The Hive or anything like that. The wiki isn't a replacement for this Forum, but the two could complement each other.

With that said, is anyone interested in helping out? The Wiki will be open to public edits, but I would love to have some people help out with moderating and overall direction.

Cheers,
Kris

Level 3
I agree, but until such an event I would like to make it easy for people to submit content. It doesn't matter how much damage some idiot does, since all I have to do is undo edits based on his IP address.

I wouldn't consider myself an "expert" in Wikis, but I have a decent amount of experience and it should be enough for this project.

Level 3
I've added the permalinks, so no more index.php?blah=foo&bar junk :thumbs_up:. There are some missing images in some of the actions, if you upload images please make them in PNG-8 format with the standard XP settings for theme (Described here)

Looks promising and can be the world of tutorials. I could help you out ;)

That would be awesome! Make sure to make wiki links to terms that you use, even if you don't want to write the pages. This way others can use the unwritten articles area to fill holes in.

I have a lot of edits to do on the Actions area.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If people edit it in a constructive way.

I can not believe some idiot discussed a "doodad" as a "destructable". They are 2 totally different objects for crying out loud. One is an extended widget, the other is just a model tied to a position. Totally different. . .

Anyway, I need to work on termonology. I cleaned up Unit and some of the trigger posts. Still a lot of my work was rough around the edges and a standard format is needed.

Level 3
I can not believe some idiot discussed a "doodad" as a "destructable". They are 2 totally different objects for crying out loud. One is an extended widget, the other is just a model tied to a position. Totally different. . .

Yeah, I had some trouble with terminology, but the site will grow well I think. I'm still going to be making edits as well.

To be honest it sounds kind of useless at this point in the game.

I agree this should have been done sooner, but I don't think Warcraft 3 is really dead. This site is also going to be a launching for the Starcraft 2 editor I would hope.

Level 3
I have no idea why my post count isn't going up, but that's very strange! I will probably secure the Wiki editing to people with accounts and from there possibly restrict edits to specific users.

Remember we can make use of the Discuss/Talk pages and this forum to collaborate edits. For the most part you can avoid issues by fleshing out the skeleton of an article and then editing each sub-section of it. This way if someone does stumble across and make an edit, it's less likely to collide.

Right now there is only 3 of us. I will be staying in the "Unit - Action" stuff.

Level 24
"WorldEditor" is not a name exclusive to WC3's map editor. It is used as a general term for LOTS of different map editors for LOTS of different games. Also, shift+click ad custom gameplay is the only useful thing to know about WE.

Level 3
The wiki was abused by spammers and we had to make registrations required for editing. Sorry to everyone who enjoyed the anonymous edits, as did I, but spammers forced us.

We're expanding the Wiki again and will be setting up more moderators. I wanted to thank DrSuperGood for his contributions, whoever you are!

Feel free to contact me on GTalk via [email protected] or AIM nullsmind

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.