• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wiki-maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Since wiki-just-about-everything-else has been shown to work, why hasn't anyone (That I've heard of) started Wiki-maps?
The concept's fairly easy to grasp: Someone makes a map, then someone else takes this map, makes changes and re-submits it. The process continues, each person adding his/her own personal touches to it. If someone wrecks the map, and older version can be dug up and the ruined version replaced.

This would allow much greater freedom of ideas, as well as increasing the quality of the map. Someone can have a great idea, but no time, so can make the concept, and submit it as a wikimap. Someone else can then continue, adding features, improving terraining, mini-games...

Of course, you couldn't have that oh so important MY NAME IN THE CREDITS. But you would have an excellent map in the end.

The closest I've seen are the popular maps, like Ninja vs Samurai, Helm's Deep and Who Is The Alien. But these weren't designed to be wiki-maps, and the original creator never intended such expansion.

Tell me what you think, if you could be bothered reading all this.

Level 5
Those maps suffered from the fact that they weren't designed to be modified, I believe.
A website which has bad security will get trashed or used by hackers, but one which leaves it's doors open and invites people to contribute , as wikipedia has shown, attracts people actually looking to improve it, because they like what's there, and want to make it even better.

Level 24
Well if you did that there would always be those arse goblins that just go and rig things because unlike wikipedia, everyone cares about how their game ends up, some maps would end up like the wikipedia entry for "evolution", which again everyone cares about. if you haven't heard what happens it's in a month or two old issue of discover magazine. there would be a lot of good done, but there would be just as much bad. people would rig it, unrig it, rig it the same way in five different places, unrig those five places as well as delete something else on accident, etc. it would result in lots of good maps and lots of (insert preffered derogatory term here) maps. the only good thing is that there would be absolutely no maps that just make you go "meh". it's like what waugriff did to the maps he edited. WORM
WORM WORM WORM. SOL's Open RPG Waugriff Version/Mod.
LOOK AT THE WORM. COT RPG. W O R M.
Or LOAP maps instead of waugriff. Any version!
as cool as it would be the people that strive for good maps would be undermined by people that just CnP rigged units into games.

Also, it takes a minute to put a rig trigger in a game, but a whole ten to go in and find the trigger.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The map idea I think is very good but the only problem is rigging. Although it takes seconds to rectify rigging to rebalence stat rigging takes hours of trial and error.

An idea not said is "closed Wiki maps" where a group of known reliable map makers make a map which every day, week, when they like, give to each other to fix and improve. It would be easy to start and good for WC3 map data banks :) .

In order for it to work someone will have to become the "controler" and "founder" of the group. He has to make (or have people make him) a trial map where it is dilbertly rigged and imbalenced. For people to join the group they have to "complete" the map by balencing it so that it is not noticably rigged (doesnt have to be perfectly balenced). Once joined their first act is to create a map. It can be any choice they wish but must not be too major. The map then is handed to another member who hands the member his map. He then works on the other members map while the other works on his. Ect

The controler then every so often makes sure that a map isnt going out of hand and keeps a copy as well as helps test the map. Testers will be only reliable people and fellow people in the group since the maps wont be protected. After the first playable version is done the person currently working on it gives the unprotected version the the controler and continues working on it. The controler will then protect the map and send to "distributers", who can be anyone, to distribute. The process continues for each version of the map made.

The group should consit of theses people.
Controler
Manager (fills in for controler when controler is not preasent)
Captians (1-2 incharge of handling maps, making practice maps, and testing product maps.)
S-Mappers (Spelizize in a spicial area of mapping like triggers, balence, terain,ect and are very good at it)
Mappers (the standard recruit)
Sub-Mappers (mappers in training (are not as skilled as mappers))
Testers (lowest rank) (There to test maps for the group in private games)

Using this system you could make it work
If anyone is interested in this idea you can PM me for help in getting this idea going.

Level 24
wow that's an extremely good idea. never even occured to me. it's foolproof except for hackers, but people that use hacks on BNet rarely can hack for themselves. two thumbs way up to the point where they're almost detached.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Pro hackers wont bother with trying to steal maps since they will be using their skill to hack things more worth their while. The noob "hackers" found on B net are no threat since something as simple as a player ID can stop them. Every time someone logs on they have to provide a 4 diget HEX ID number to a controler, manager or captian. If no provided the player cant shair maps till he does. In the case of high ranking people like the controler him self and ect not too much damage can be done since he has to provide his ID to the person he will DL the map to protect before he can DL. Same with the testers ect.

Hackers are not a major problem since if someone hacks the other members can tell the real person that they loged on eariler and so minimal map leaks will occure since he can quickly change his acount.

Like already said, HACKERS ARE NOT TO BE WORRIED ABOUT! There are not enough werdios to go around, hack someones accout and steel maps just to rig them.

And if 1-2 leak so what the group will still have the offical versions and will still make the offical versions.

And any map hosted publicly would be protected so the average noob cant just go and hack them anyway.

Level 5
Okay, sorry. I expressed my point badly.
I'm not afraid of hackers, what I want are maps that the creators ask people to modify. Or else, the only people who do modify are: A- The people who want to give themselves an unfair advantage when they Host, or B- The people who want to attach their name.

If people were invited to improve the map, I reckon, people actually interested in making decent maps would be much more likely to help.

Level 24
lol iggy neither of dr super goods idea's impede in what you say you have envisioned in that last post. in fact, both of them work even better so that you don't get the one or two people that really want to stick their name on it or rig it or whatever. & btw dr super good i said that "people that use hacks on BNet rarely can hack for themselves" meaning they only use other people's hacks, and as such aren't truly hackers but cheaters pretending to be able to hack. but wow your idea is now absolutely foolproof.

Level 7
hey izzy. i can tell you one reason why i am afraid of peopele taking control of my map...

i am a pure perfectionist so ultmently i cant let people come in and mess with it and me not like it and i will try to fix it. but if i could find good work then i would have no problem for anyone to mess with it but i would have to trust them..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
This is about making maps using a shair system not about people stealing and rigging maps. . .

Even if you protect a map as best you can it can still be easily hacked thanks to programs like win MPQ and jass shop pro so the only way to have an offical version definatly spread is to spread it your self.

Status
Not open for further replies.