• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Why is the facebook button green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I agree. Yet, I personally do not do that.

Anyone born before or after 1990 will have brain enough to use the omnibox (or its equivalent) of his/her web browser by typing fac hiv, because he/she is a bit busy, and because he/she knows that the omnibox will instantly give him/her the URL to any page he/she already visited at least once in the last four months (configurable in the options menu of his/her web browser iirc)

View attachment 289395

...that is, if he/she has not already added the page to his/her Favorites.
:wink:

Address bar - Wikipedia
Egg of Columbus - Wikipedia
Yeah I wish.
You'd be surprised over how utterly incapable most of my teachers were during my first 10 years of school. (in terms of technology)
And no - I do not live in Uganda or another stone age country. (believe it or not)

Not saying everyone above the age of 30 cannot handle facebook, just saying there it is still a sizable portion of the older half of the population. Which I believe is not the majority of the hive, let's put it that way.

But since pretty much everyone on the hive knows how to find a facebook page, as you pointed out, do we really need to advertise that it exist? it is pretty redundant as "Rob's fish and tech" in Small Town has a facebook page.
It is simply expected these days.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Hm. I feel like, done right, social media *can* be a complement to regular forums.
I love the classic forum format; THW is good enough as is without glued on social media "channels".
But since pretty much everyone on the hive knows how to find a facebook page, as you pointed out, do we really need to advertise that it exist? it is pretty redundant as "Rob's fish and tech" in Small Town has a facebook page.
It is simply expected these days.
Some people imho hardly (/never?) leave their social medium/media of choice. It can be for various reasons: lack of free time, not wanting to leave their "zone of comfort", digital addiction, staying with the same friends...

Similarly imho, some (most?) people do not read news coming from various, different sources of information.

Imho we have to advertize on THW the fact that we are also on the other sites which are popular currently. This is what the icons also are for. They show that we follow the trends. Now just one question: currently afaik, Discord is considered to be the "hip" thing; but who can say for sure that it will still be considered to be hip in the next five years (or even less)?

@Archian: hey Archian, could we please have a place somewhere in the Gopherspace? People would have to use Veronica to find it. It would feel like the good old days again. Plus: no distracting, flashy stuff anywhere.

ok ok, I am just kidding. But maybe on April Fool's Day, why not?

[...] You'd be surprised over how utterly incapable most of my teachers were during my first 10 years of school. (in terms of technology) [...]"
I am not surprised at all, because I knew that already. For people are alike all over...
:cry:

[...] And no - I do not live in Uganda or another stone age country. (believe it or not) [...]
I am unsure how this relates to being able to use some piece of software.

Since its initial release in December 2008, Google Chrome has kept bringing major improvements to web surfing overall. Therefore, the other browser developers had to adapt and evolve. Likewise, people should adapt and use their browser(s) differently.

Now, some people only use their computers / browsers to manage their E-mails...

I trust Ugandans most probably have better hardware than me. The real question imho is: how do they use it?

Level 35
Since its initial release in December 2008, Google Chrome has kept bringing major improvements to web surfing overall. Therefore, the other browser developers had to adapt and evolve. Likewise, people should adapt and use their browser(s) differently?

Yea, people are not software. Especially old people aren't per standard very adaptable. Even young people don't take the time to understand what they are using, and why. They use it because others do or because it was on the computer. At any rate Hive being on social media has a purpose for twitter (easy update on major events where Hive for instance is down), Discord has a slight purpose for chat - saving some effort to make the Hive chat multi, although a mix between them would be awesome and likely increase Hive chats use. YouTube for the obvious video upload location. Facebook... Hmm well Facebook is in essence just a forum, centered around self-promotion and data gathering, so no Facebook really doesn't serve a purpose, other than checking a box for SEO.

Firefox did the same, Chrome was an adaptation of others work and so forth. Everything is in flux and you take inspiration from the past. The idea is not that people have changed, because we really haven't in hundreds of years. The tools we use have changed, and our ability to change and update our tools has become in many ways the way we "evolve". But all of this is rather irrelevant for the discussion about icons, other than the conclusion that we can save on the icons, by removing or down-prioritize Facebook. Oh, and don't use chrome.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
No. I do mean Google Chrome.

Ironically the previous, most innovative web browser was imho Opera, up to and including v12.18. But it has always remained a niche software (3-4% marketshare iirc, sigh!)

[...] Hmm well Facebook is in essence just a forum, centered around self-promotion and data gathering, so no Facebook really doesn't serve a purpose, other than checking a box for SEO. [...]
[...] But all of this is rather irrelevant for the discussion about icons, other than the conclusion that we can save on the icons, by removing or down-prioritize Facebook.
In a post on the previous page, I said that maybe it is a question worth asking: is being on Facebook worth it for THW? (in terms of public image, visibility, popularity or whatever else).

I also said "maybe in another thread".

@RED BARON: regarding what you quoted,
[...] Likewise, people should adapt and use their browser(s) differently?
, I do not remember ending this sentence with a question mark.

Level 35
No. I do mean Google Chrome.
Ironically the previous, most innovative web browser was imho Opera, up to and including v12.18. But it has always remained a niche software (3-4% marketshare iirc, sigh!)

In a post on the previous page, I said that maybe it is a question worth asking: is being on Facebook worth it for THW? (in terms of public image, visibility, popularity or whatever else).
I also said "maybe in another thread".

@RED BARON: regarding what you quoted,

, I do not remember ending this sentence with a question mark.

Yea, opera is my browser for phones and something I sometimes recommended to customers. Its not really a point of worth, it just pointless. I have no idea why there is a question mark, I didn't add it.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Yay for browser wars... Seriously guys, what the heck. This is about the color of the social media icons. A super important topic!
Yeah, sorry for more or less hijacking this color thread Ralle.

Maybe (a) poll(s) somewhere else about the concerns evoked previously, might help the Staff decide where to invest time and resources where it is the most useful and rewarding for THW globally? (be it for the Hive members themselves, or for those who are not THW members and/or never/hardly visit the THW web site for whatever reason)

Status
Not open for further replies.