• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why is the facebook button green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

On the topic of style changes, the older gems could be used. Maybe you reached for a more modern look with the current ones, but they look Starcraft-y more than Warcraft-y.
reputation_smallpos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_higherpos.gif
reputation_vhighpos.gif

Level 7
We are definitely past the migration to Hive 2 when a thread about the color of an icon appears. Awesome. Thank you!

Well, it looked good at the time. To be honest, what I kind of want to accomplish is to convert all the icons (and adding Discord) into a standard format and color scheme. I was thinking of finding icons here.
Wait, is there an offical Discord channel for hive? I need an invitation right now if that's the case!!!

It's being recognized, but I guess it's priority is below many others.

and
If we can find a graphics designer to create buttons for Paypal, Facebook, Twitter, Discord and YouTube as small rectangular icons in retina resolution and somehow be in the same style, get back to me.
... everyone is free to help.

Level 35
I don't see a need for them to have an outline for the first two. Discord and twitter kinda gets lost, and considering that the only ones I would actually be interested in are discord, twitter and youtube (in that order) I am very glad to see them black. Its a great change, and fits much much better. On mouse-over they get a slight gray glow and having a gray outline slightly lighter than the snow for twitter and discord would solve the problem of them being too dark.

Still I love that we have lost the colors.

Level 35
The social media icons look better on the non-winter theme. However, we have to adjust the background image (grass) to align right so that the icons are on a more bright background and not the dark clouds.

Yea, figured it would. Its so damn nice to see black for once instead of the damn over-used social media colored icons everywhere.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] Anyway, Maxwell did a better job [...]
I agree.

The gold-colored logos fit with the logo of THW itself, making the top of the page a coherent whole imho.
I personally associate Gold (be it the color, the metal or the word itself) with nothing but positive things / thoughts. Gold is about trust, value, milestones, safe investments... Also, Gold can not get corrupt by rust. I think you get the general idea, and maybe more...
Also (but this one is admittedly a bit far-fetched), Warcraft is also a game about collecting resources, and one of them is precisely Gold.

Please, Hive, Stay Gold.
:grin:

[...] Still I love that we have lost the colors.
Yea, figured it would. Its so damn nice to see black for once instead of the damn over-used social media colored icons everywhere.
Well in all honesty, when I first saw that the icons had suddenly and unexpectedly turned to black, I had feared for the worst irl. To me, it had something to do with death. I was too afraid to ask Ralle directly...

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
We tried a few other designs.

And actually we also did make gold versions.

Test.png

In the end we decided to go with the black ones because of its simplicity and it was more neutral. And it fits the background. But we are open to suggestions.

It was actually interesting to see the effect it had changing the icons. My eyes were always driven to the top right of the screen. But now the colors that were there before where gone and so even though my eyes are still driven to the right it was a shock to see the colors missing after all this time. My eyes were kinda expecting the colors but found black instead :)

Last edited:
Level 35
The gold-colored logos fit with the logo of THW itself, making the top of the page a coherent whole imho.
I personally associate Gold (be it the color, the metal or the word itself) with nothing but positive things / thoughts. Gold is about trust, value, milestones, safe investments... Also, Gold can not get corrupt by rust. I think you get the general idea, and maybe more...

So you believe gold shows trust, safety, no corruption and so forth and you want Hive's golden color to be associated with the likes of Facebook? Because Facebook "truly" deserved gold rating for trust and safety?? I might be able to accept Discord's logo in a more golden color, but Facebook deserves no love of that kind.

Really the notion of placing a similar importance on social media icons as the Hive Workshop logo itself seems insane to me. Why this belief that social media icons are of equal status to Hive? Are they the most important part on Hive? No. They are not. Just look at Maxwell's example, you notice the icons way more than the logo itself. Its terrifying really that it was seen as a good thing, that some social icons take center-stage instead of the webpage itself.

As such I find it quite brilliant to have them pale in comparison to the logo itself. As mentioned I would consider placing a slight outline on them, similar to when you mouse-over, just to show that they are active buttons and reorder their placement so Discord was the first on the line, closer to the center (which I just realized that Archian's screen-cap already did, so guess it is being changed :wthumbsup:).

No offense to Maxwell, but I believe that they likely already tried it, and it is just a color taken from the logo. Going black takes guts. But since pictures speak, here is one with glow on for all:
Example.jpg

As long as you can get the feeling that they are active icons, clickable and all, then I cannot see a reason for them not to be black. Habit and the insane drive Facebook has made to be everywhere clearly shows, with the amounts asking for a blue Facebook. The prominent placement of the blue icon on every company add, webpage and so forth have gotten people used to it. But it is really a nice trick by Facebook where they get free marketing, because of the "importance" of them, which is created by said focus on them. Yea, it does serve a role for many, but there should always be consideration for how Facebook works with the site. For Hive Workshop Facebook is basically pointless, other than as a service for those who can't live without it. Twitter has an update functionality, Youtube has the presentation angle and discord the chat. Facebook? (In general terms)

(And yea, I was lazy so the summer theme on my example, is just a color changed winter :wgrin:)

Last edited:
Level 22
Calm down people. I just made it as example of my vision and taste. Don't put a lot of meaning in it like:
Why this belief that social media icons are of equal status to Hive?
I just don't like the Black logos. For me it looks like sign: "We are waiting for good logos that would fit Hiveworkshop, and for now we will just remove this standart icons."

Of course I know that Ralle already try golden one, it's obvious, but still I decided to make my touch to it.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
By all means people. Feel free to design your own and post them in this thread so that we may look at it.

We need one for Donation/Paypal, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter & Discord.

They have to be 100x100 (YouYube and Paypal 100x200) and have a hover version.

They have to be made into sprites. One single image like this for example, but bigger as they will automatically be resized for optimal quality.

spriteSocialMedia.png

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
So you believe gold shows trust, safety, no corruption and so forth and you want Hive's golden color to be associated with the likes of Facebook? Because Facebook "truly" deserved gold rating for trust and safety?? I might be able to accept Discord's logo in a more golden color, but Facebook deserves no love of that kind.

Really the notion of placing a similar importance on social media icons as the Hive Workshop logo itself seems insane to me. Why this belief that social media icons are of equal status to Hive? Are they the most important part on Hive? No. They are not.
If Gold is indeed the official color of THW (based on its official logo), then it does make sense.

When one clicks on one of these logos, then one lands directly on an official THW page and nowhere else afaik.

Now, do you believe that such long-lasting values / virtues are not / can not be enforced by the Staff, simply because of the third-party site they decided to also have an official page on? As an example, should anyone consider the official page of THW on Facebook (or whichever other site you seem to dislike) to be tainted / corrupted in any kind of way? Do you think that the Hive on Facebook can not be trusted, and that it is not a safe place there?

As long as you can get the feeling that they are active icons, clickable and all, then I cannot see a reason for them not to be black.
Well, I have one. We are not supposed to do this at all, because logos are protected by laws.

It is my belief that any unauthorized modification that could be seen in a negative way (or not) impacting their public image, could *theoretically* lead THW into some legal trouble.

That is why sites use the official redistributable logos already provided by Facebook and the likes. These sites are legally authorized to add them, and imho them only, to their web pages.

Going black takes guts.
I agree, but not for the same reasons. Please see above.

We tried a few other designs.
Could we see them please? It is always interesting to have a look at creative processes.

It was actually interesting to see the effect it had changing the icons. My eyes were always driven to the top right of the screen. But now the colors that were there before where gone and so even though my eyes are still driven to the right it was a shock to see the colors missing after all this time. My eyes were kinda expecting the colors but found black instead :)
As for me, my eyes were never attracted there. Likewise, the red alert notification for streams was never an issue for me. Well, we are all different, I guess...

For Hive Workshop Facebook is basically pointless, other than as a service for those who can't live without it. Twitter has an update functionality, Youtube has the presentation angle and discord the chat. Facebook? (In general terms)
Facebook was iirc not a top priority for the Staff. I am guessing they felt they had to be there too, because it is still popular. Now I would perfectly understand that the Staff has no plans to be on MySpace...
:xxd:

But maybe it is a question worth asking, maybe in another thread: is being on Facebook worth it for THW? (in terms of public image, visibility, popularity or whatever else).

Last edited:
Level 35
If Gold is indeed the official color of THW (based on its official logo), then it does make sense.

When one clicks on one of these logos, then one lands directly on an official THW page and nowhere else afaik.

Now, do you believe that such long-lasting values / virtues are not / can not be enforced by the Staff, simply because of the third-party site they decided to also have an official page on? As an example, should anyone consider the official page of THW on Facebook (or whichever other site you seem to dislike) to be tainted / corrupted in any kind of way? Do you think that the Hive on Facebook can not be trusted, and that it is not a safe place there?

Well, I have one. We are not supposed to do this at all, because logos are protected by laws.

But maybe it is a question worth asking, maybe in another thread: is being on Facebook worth it for THW? (in terms of public image, visibility, popularity or whatever else).

I was actually making a point based on your gold symbolism :wwink: Not anything about Hive colors. At any rate, no I wouldn't trust a facebook page for Hive - It's still facebook and their ownership of everything on it + it is fairly irrelevant for Hive to be on facebook at any rate.

About logo's, I found this (for the name)fitting site for use and legal about them (according to the sites themselves): hivestrategies.com
Interesting to note that facebook does not allow the direct use of their logo and requires a custom one, and Youtube does not want their logo to appear as the most featured :wsmile: - But really as long as it points to the real site most things are cool.

Def. support not having twitter or facebook at all. And youtube as well, tbh. Can't see it adding any significant value.
Discord however should stay.

Yea, my feeling as well (I guess my previous post indicated the viewpoint :smile:)

Haha, yay for a color thread! I actually also really like Maxwell's version and the one by RED BARON. What we have now is a lot better than what we had before though. All those random colors for various social things are like a candy shop.

Mine are very simple glow outlines though, but thanks :p

Lets just add some more options for compromises (more color, still pale and less "eye" catching):
Icons alternative.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I was actually making a point based on your gold symbolism :wwink: Not anything about Hive colors. [...]
The four letters g o l d put together can refer, both directly and indirectly, to so many many things...

[...] At any rate, no I wouldn't trust a facebook page for Hive - It's still facebook and their ownership of everything on it + it is fairly irrelevant for Hive to be on facebook at any rate. [...]
Def. support not having twitter or facebook at all. And youtube as well, tbh. Can't see it adding any significant value.
Discord however should stay.
I do not mind the icons being there as they are pretty discrete. But the facebook/twitter is rarely used anyway so I would not exactly miss them.
Discord however, I use.

Should the Hive go offline for whatever reason (including the switch to XenForo 2), it is imho a good thing to have at least another updated textual source of information, to know what is happening. That is what I personally use THW on Facebook for.

[...] About logo's, I found this (for the name)fitting site for use and legal about them (according to the sites themselves): hivestrategies.com
Interesting to note that facebook does not allow the direct use of their logo and requires a custom one, and Youtube does not want their logo to appear as the most featured :wsmile: - But really as long as it points to the real site most things are cool.
Cool name.
:thumbs_up:

Now, according to your own source (among other things):
- Twitter: don't manipulate the logo in any way.
- Facebook: don't modify the “f” logo by changing its design or color.
- LinkedIn: don't alter the logo in any way.
- YouTube: don't remove, obstruct, distort, or alter any element of a YouTube trademark.

The above lists are not exhaustive, so if you are unsure about the proper way to use the logo for any of the above companies, I strongly encourage you to visit their website to make sure you are not violating copyright. However, if you are simply using these logos for your hospital’s website or blog, these do’s and don’ts should be sufficient.

I also recommend that you do research before using any company’s logo, as their guidelines may surprise you.

Facebook authorizes the use of the official Facebook “f” logo they themselves provide for download and re-use, to refer to one's Facebook page or Facebook group. The *full* Facebook logo should not be used to do so.

The YouTube badge should not be the most prominent element on one's web page.

As with any other official logo from any site, only the approved formats of one's logo are allowed, when it comes to advertising and/or redirecting to said web sites. This also means that doing a screen capture of an official logo and then turning it into a clickable one is *not* okay.

Derivative works are implicitly allowed and do not require any authorization afaik, as long as they are not turned into clickable links pointing to their web sites. Such derivative works should not be harmful to the brand, although such things like for example satire works, are legally covered / protected in *some* countries (they are imho being considered as part of the Freedom of speech)

It is imho best to get in touch with Facebook and the likes, and kindly request any legal advice from them.

I would suggest explaining to them that THW is a community of artists (not sure everybody is familiar with the concept of modding). Being also a community of gamers, the current logo modifications could be seen as a reference to such critical, artistic and commercial successes (if not landmarks) as, say, Limbo. That the derivative works on their respective logos are part of a coherent whole and should not damage the reputation of any respective brands in any way...

Screenshots of the whole page should be provided, both with and without the 'highlight' effect.
If one / some of the four already gave his / their blessing, it should also be mentioned, it may help...
Pointing out that Google itself plays from time to time with his own logo might also help, since doing so does not hurt Google's reputation in any way (that I know of).

A lawyer's job is also to help serve everyone's best interests. So imho better take the initiative to get in touch with them; it should be proof that we strive to do things the right way (or at least that we try to).

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
If the hive is offline we cannot click the button the site to take us there anyway.

Anyone born after 1990 will have brain enough to go to facebook and search "hiveworkshop" and get the correct result without a logo.
I'll admit my mom would maybe not figure that out but she's still living in the stoneage and I'd imagine 45 year olds are not that common here.

If I am connecting to a game and I get an error or whatever, the first thing I do is go to facebook/twitter/reddit and just search for the game name, I do not need a logo in my face.

Level 35
Should the Hive go offline for whatever reason (including the switch to XenForo 2), it is imho a good thing to have at least another updated textual source of information, to know what is happening. That is what I personally use THW on Facebook for.

Twitter would be the obvious and most useful for that specific situation. Short hand texts, no fluff. Just plain info with date and time stamp.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I agree. Yet, I personally do not do that.

If the hive is offline we cannot click the button the site to take us there anyway.

Anyone born after 1990 will have brain enough to go to facebook and search "hiveworkshop" and get the correct result without a logo.
I'll admit my mom would maybe not figure that out but she's still living in the stoneage and I'd imagine 45 year olds are not that common here. [...]
Anyone born before or after 1990 will have brain enough to use the omnibox (or its equivalent) of his/her web browser by typing fac hiv, because he/she is a bit busy, and because he/she knows that the omnibox will instantly give him/her the URL to any page he/she already visited at least once in the last four months (configurable in the options menu of his/her web browser iirc)

fac hiv.jpg

...that is, if he/she has not already added the page to his/her Favorites.
:wink:

Address bar - Wikipedia
Egg of Columbus - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Level 24
You old fart, you.
Certainly am (in the context of this discussion, mind), but so is the very concept of a dedicated forum like THW.
Social media is not a complement to a classic forum, it's a substitute/successor - as such, I can't see what value it adds. Honestly I can't see any reason behind this beyond "everyone is one facebook, ergo so should we".

I love the classic forum format; THW is good enough as is without glued on social media "channels".

Status
Not open for further replies.