• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Why are WoW models not allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blizzard put up most of their WoW icons on the bnet site, free for download. Ralle then went and put them all on the hive too. WoW's models were never released by blizzard, and so using them is immoral.
Ah alright, I first thought that people just exported them too..

brad.dude03 said:
Because it is STEALING.
Well I don't view it like that, but maybe I won't speak any more of this subject or my opinions about it for the sake of hive's rules...

Level 1
It's funny that this topic has been raging on forever... It's a hive rule so just drop it. It you really wanna besure, I have a crazy idea... email blizzard, I'm sure they could give you a clear cut answer. But still, as long as the HIVE SAYS NO, SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

Level 26
Because they have better things to do than hold a press conference about a topic raging on a warcraft fansite. I'm pretty sure this argument isn't shaking the world to bits.

Who said a press conference was needed?

They simply need to say if they allow it or not. Make sure the word gets out to Wc3 modding sites (which isn't much of a task, mostly sending a few e-mails) and the whole problem is solved.

Then again, that's what they should have done once the topic was raised. Not a few years later.

Level 45
Iv sent emails about 2 times and posted on their forums AGES ago. No answer or reply.

I bet some chum will come here and say "OH I SENT THEM EMAIL AND THEY SAID ITS OAKY !! NOW LET WOW MODELS HEREY"

Thing is, this is a wc3 modding community, not a wow ripping/hosting for wc3 community, and even if blizzard does announce, we decide whether to allow them here.

Level 5
Then play ona private server for free? seriously, one who uses EXACT resources of something they are imitating isnt professional at all. Take a look at the wc3 Wow camp hosted here, they are making everything pretty much from scratch that relates to wow, thats what makes them special and how they are utilizing it.

Lol, talk about stealing. That's stealing the entire game and emulating its servers, which is illegal.

Level 5
Right, but it's still promoting illegal things, someone's hosting that server and you're joining it, and it's pretty much stealing from Blizzard because you're supposed to pay to play.

There was also discussion over it being illegal to use Blizzard's model's in WC3, which is untrue. It's not illegal, although yes, I still see reasons to not host any of them here, but that's what I'm talking about.

I pointed out that you're suggesting using stolen property. How about I tell people to go download 3ds max illegally instead of buying it, because a lot of people say they want it for modeling but they can't pay for it. Does that sound right to you? I'm certain that's also against the forum rules, and I don't think you should be suggesting to people to get a private server, which is pretty close to piracy.

Level 5
As I say.

Oh, and you only pay monthly fee to blizz for SERVICES and HOSTING of the servers. God... =_=

Now stop this stupid whining and pointing fingers.

Then I'll explain.

When you install the game, you accept an agreement (whether you're playing on the real realm or not), and you are bound under the terms of the EULA.

Blizzard own the rights to the game, the code and the ideas behind the game where applicable, and that is what they are protecting.

You steal their money by not paying for the game they gave you, technically, because you aren't playing on their server, which the game is designed to do. That is also what you accept in the agreement.

Although Blizzard will probably never find out you ever did do so, you're still stealing from them, and the law's on their side in plenty of countries, particularly US and probably a lot of Europe. You're pretty much promoting illegal activities as you suggested playing on a private server for free, which I'm pretty sure is against the rules, which is why I gave you an equivalent example.

Last edited:
Level 45
Then I'll explain.

When you install the game, you accept an agreement, and you are bound under the terms of the EULA.

Blizzard own the rights to the game, the code and the ideas behind the game where applicable, and that is what they are protecting.

You steal their money by not paying for the game they gave you, technically, because you aren't playing on their server, which the game is designed to do. That is also what you accept in the agreement.

Although Blizzard will probably never find out you ever did do so, you're still stealing from them, and the law's on their side in plenty of countries, particularly US and probably a lot of Europe. You're pretty much promoting illegal activities as you suggested playing on a private server for free, which I'm pretty sure is against the rules, which is why I gave you an equivalent example.

Oh dear god, stop whining, read the friggin title. Oh and if you read my other post you would know your point is still useless. Dont let me quote it again.

Level 12
The point is WoW models just arent allowed on this site.
Doesnt stop you still using them for your own use, or distributing outside this site.

I disagree and think its foolish as well, but rules are rules and thats thats.
Theres little point in arguing it further or pointing out that the average person breaks the law/does an 'immoral' thing 1000 times a day.

Overall the WoW models generally arent good from a war3 point of view anyways and there are plenty of top quality resources on this site already.
So just deal with it and move on.

Level 14
The point is WoW models just arent allowed on this site.
Doesnt stop you still using them for your own use, or distributing outside this site.

I disagree and think its foolish as well, but rules are rules and thats thats.
Theres little point in arguing it further or pointing out that the average person breaks the law/does an 'immoral' thing 1000 times a day.

Overall the WoW models generally arent good from a war3 point of view anyways and there are plenty of top quality resources on this site already.
So just deal with it and move on.
Yes but the way it is enforced on this site makes it look like if it was official Blizzard Entertainment's stance, whereas it's just Hive Workshop's official stance

Level 4
Blizzard put up most of their WoW icons on the bnet site, free for download. Ralle then went and put them all on the hive too. WoW's models were never released by blizzard, and so using them is immoral.

ok now i finally understand. I thought they had been released by blizzard as i have a harvest golem model from wc3sear. Braddude in the first couple posts made absolutely no sense as to why it was immoral other than u probably shouldn't use them for their high poly count. Thanks for making sense pyritie!

Level 1
this is madness. time to stop this

i may be new. i have read all these threads about wow exports
blah blah blah! its stealing!
blah blah blah its illegal! blah blah blah blah BLAH!
listen.here is a site that will damn end this damn thread once and for all.
btw. if you remove this. you are cold hearted. and dont care about alot of people. and if u ban me. damn.. thats just wrong. look im trying to help. and if you get pissed at me . i dont freaking care. here.
Link removed.
ok now if u look on page two. theres a free download for a murloc model from wow. BIG DEAL download it. have fun. and enjoy. all credits go to the tutorial master and the murloc dude. and for once. let this one go. good luck and get some wow exports. with the fun of you doing it!:infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 36
No. Just no.

You are an idiot.

1) You link to an IP address. Major nono.
2) We do not support Wow Exports. This thread is not meant for discussion, it's a place for n00bs to come so that they can rant instead of making 50 new threads about it every day.
3) Easy on the spam
4) Your site wont "damn end" this thread at all, you're getting ignored and rejected right now, and I'll bet my ass that your post isn't going to change the world, let alone this thread.
5) You aren't helping at all.
6) We don't let things go around here. Unlike some places, we uphold the rules that we set, and it'd be hypocritical of us if we didn't.
7) There's nothing fun about getting stolen models.

Burn in hell.

Level 35
Why can't people realize that WoW models and the ripping of WoW models is a heresy to the HIVE, good map/model making, and just plain common decency and law?

tyler: Those who promote the thieving of art Especially in an art community (models/skins/maps/spells/ect count as art) makes them lower than the scum excreted by the poop of primordial slime.

No flaming intended.

Level 26
i may be new. i have read all these threads about wow exports
blah blah blah! its stealing!
blah blah blah its illegal! blah blah blah blah BLAH!
listen.here is a site that will damn end this damn thread once and for all.
btw. if you remove this. you are cold hearted. and dont care about alot of people. and if u ban me. damn.. thats just wrong. look im trying to help. and if you get pissed at me . i dont freaking care. here.
Link removed.
ok now if u look on page two. theres a free download for a murloc model from wow. BIG DEAL download it. have fun. and enjoy. all credits go to the tutorial master and the murloc dude. and for once. let this one go. good luck and get some wow exports. with the fun of you doing it!:infl_thumbs_up:
"LOLL KILING IZ K COS I SAW OJ DO IT!!!"
Tu quoque much?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I've removed the link. I don't care if you voice your opinion about the issue, that's what the thread is for.

However, this doesn't mean that site policy will change, and it still stands.

Do not link to WoW exports, do it once more and you'll merit an infraction from me personally.

Also, please refrain from insulting the staff of this site, you are welcome here as long as you don't disrupt the pleasant environment. If you do, then we have a problem.

One last thing: I am cold-hearted in situations like this. Tough luck.

Level 36
I don't blame you Chris, you HAVE to be cold hearted in a situation like this. No matter what, we AREN'T changing the rules, we will absolutely not support illegal model rips in any way shape or form.

What you CAN do is use existing models as a reference for making your OWN models FROM SCRATCH in their likeness.

For example, you can make all the Star Wars models you want (just look at Olaf Moleman) and we'll take them, but to rip a model from a game like Battlefront or KotOR would be completely unacceptable.

For example, you can make all the Star Wars models you want (just look at Olaf Moleman) and we'll take them, but to rip a model from a game like Battlefront or KotOR would be completely unacceptable.

Or like most of the models for WotTH. Like that imp thing Chriz animated looked A LOT like the wow imps. But it was just a reference. Apparently.

Level 4
Holy...

People STILL complain about this?

Jeez..read the rules...

If you don't like the rules, don't sign up to be here in the first place...

Intelligent debate is one thing, but when the mods have stated their claim TIME and TIME again..and its THEIR rules.....you have no room to even THINK of crying about it...

*gives the mods a collective high five and glass of vodka*:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 36
I concur, thank you Magoo.

This is what we'd like EVERYONE to be like, but of course there are the users that politely disagree (that's fine), and those that have to cry about it (minorly annoying) and then those that have to constantly state why "ZOMFG WOW MODELZ WHY NOTS!?" and such, well, those people suck.

Level 23
The desire for WoW models is everything that is wrong with the Warcraft community.

It's about quality control. A lot of nut-cases fill their maps with models of different styles that don't match.

While your favourite Baconifier may be an incredible piece of work in its own right, when you're using it along with all the normal Warcraft models... It stands out, it looks awful.

Thus is it with WoW models.

Are you doing a total conversion?

... I thought not.

Status
Not open for further replies.