• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are these allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I'v stumbled uphon a free 3D models website

4861 free 3d models at absolutely no cost. Some of the 3d models, scenes and graphics in this website are copyrighted to their rightful owners. You can use the free 3d models in your projects, but you aren't allowed to redistribute or sale/resale. You are free to use these models in generating games, animations, multimedia, printed graphics, web graphics and others. However you are prohibited to resell, create your own license to give away these 3d models individually or as part of collection or bundle to get profit. This website is a free exchange website for all different formats of 3d models. We encourage 3d artists and modellers to submit their 3d work and show your collection to millions other. Help us grow by sharing your free 3d model and we'll help you get noticed by adding link to your website.

So are people allowed to use such models? The website owner stated that it's required to credit both the site and the model creator if used in maps/games. All models are unanimated, many of them have no textures.

So if modellers can make(and by make I mean convert them to MDX) the non-animation needed models like vegetation and structures, we would have a great pack of HQ models to use in games or more likely terrains.

Level 14
Yes some of them are insanely detailed, but the vegetation or the simplier structures are a bit lower and can be reduced even more. And many great projects like Requiem use other game's models too. (if I remember correctly as Goris stated )

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I personally Noticed one or two which would fit my project almost like a glove. Also, do remember that there are a lot of SP RPGs nowadays and those tend to go past 20-30 Mb in the first stages of development so yeah, I don't mind some beefier models as long as they don't cause lag issues.

Yes some of them are insanely detailed, but the vegetation or the simplier structures are a bit lower and can be reduced even more. And many great projects like Requiem use other game's models too. (if I remember correctly as Goris stated )

Requiem is technically illegal because of this. Goris took stuff from other games, breaking copyright laws, and used it in a map that appears on the hive workshop, which is not supposed to allow illegal material.
The only legal rips are those from other blizzard games.

Level 4
In my opinion, many people approach this too seriously. What about the fact that someone is using models from other games or different sources? I am convinced that even the author of the model will have nothing against when would be asked about permission (if it was possible to contact with him).
You really think he cares that someone is using some of his model for some stupid map for WarCraft 3?? I Don't think so. What is more, he can even be glad that his work will appear in some less important game/map project. The most likely is that, he will have whole case deep in a**.
Do you know why? Because we do not sell our map using his work. Our map will never find on the shelf in the store. If it become a hit, a couple of thousand people will download and play it and that's the end. Ya, the end.

Another thing is that some people are ripping models and some people are only using/downloading them with no idea that they are rips from other games and they are blamed in the same way by the fierce, even "dicks" who consider themselves as defenders of morality and legality and call fucking everything what is in HD quality as rip. Funny. The truth is, you don't have anything to defend.

So, If someone needs a high-quality models for his wc3 map, he has to make it as a professionalist? From scratch? Not everyone is good in everything. And if I am not able to create my own HD models, I have to let go and close my project? No fucking way. I will never agree with that.

If I need materials, I'll find a way to get them and will customize to my needs (reducing poly, re-texturing or even using only one part of the model). There is nothing immoral in it. We just fun. We are making maps, little shits in .w3x format. Not professional, real games.

Requiem is technically illegal because of this. Goris took stuff from other games, breaking copyright laws, and used it in a map that appears on the hive workshop, which is not supposed to allow illegal material.
The only legal rips are those from other blizzard games.

BuHahaha, my project mentioned in thread. :D
Well, I can make/host own project site with download button and what than, huh? Otherwise, Hive Workhsop will not let me upload the map due to the file size. (max 15 or 30 mb)

Last edited:
I am convinced that even the author of the model will have nothing against when would be asked about permission (if it was possible to contact with him).
You really think he cares that someone is using some of his model for some stupid map for WarCraft 3?? I Don't think so. What is more, he can even be glad that his work will appear in some less important game/map project. The most likely is that, he will have whole case deep in a**.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the model authors or their opinions, they cannot even give you permission if they wanted to.
If you rip models from a commercial game, you are violating the copyright monopoly. This means the corporation that has acquired ownership of the copyrights can sue you for copyright infringement.

But yes, you are right that they mostly don't care for nonprofit amateur modding projects.

Level 4
It has absolutely nothing to do with the model authors or their opinions, they cannot even give you permission if they wanted to.
If you rip models from a commercial game, you are violating the copyright monopoly. This means the corporation that has acquired ownership of the copyrights can sue you for copyright infringement.

But yes, you are right that they mostly don't care for nonprofit amateur modding projects.

Ah...ya i forgot that their opinion is dependent on the manufacturers. But the meaning is the same.

Level 17
The problem is not legal questions, it is ethics. Technically, ripped models aren't much different from other resources with one big difference, they are handing them over without their consent.

Now, the saddest part are the "modders" who go and claim that those rips are essentially theirs earning all credit.
Like this recent infamous "modeler" who was all but showing off rips and resources of other people to be his creations.

And funny you speak Kithraya, seeing how you are some of the biggest offenders on the hive in that matter showing no humility and earning credit for what is obviously not your work. (I mean seriously, even your crafting manager contains a national logo of Singapore in its "art")
I have browsed your thread a couple of times, and swiftly realized about 90% of the assets you are showcasing are rips. (what is not, the ee ground textures ? Though they are so high quality they may as well be too)
I wouldn't mind, but you seem to be of the idea that because you merged some geosets around and changed textures the assets are now yours.
About new model: Clothing and body parts comes from the Fang from FF, which I downloaded from the Goblin Academy. I attached a different hair, earned gloves, removed the unnecessary details. I changed a lot in this model.
All textures are my work. So I can't say that the model is from different game. ;P Sorry.

What ?
We don't really care about the legal part too much, but the above is a nice example of exactly everything that is wrong with using rips.
I don't care where you will upload your project, but you have a following here on the hive. Those people are looking up to you because they believe in your talent and skill, which is sad to say the least.

Level 4
The problem is not legal questions, it is ethics. Technically, ripped models aren't much different from other resources with one big difference, they are handing them over without their consent.

Now, the saddest part are the "modders" who go and claim that those rips are essentially theirs earning all credit.
Like this recent infamous "modeler" who was all but showing off rips and resources of other people to be his creations.

And funny you speak Kithraya, seeing how you are some of the biggest offenders on the hive in that matter showing no humility and earning credit for what is obviously not your work. (I mean seriously, even your crafting manager contains a national logo of Singapore in its "art")
I have browsed your thread a couple of times, and swiftly realized about 90% of the assets you are showcasing are rips. (what is not, the ee ground textures ? Though they are so high quality they may as well be too)
I wouldn't mind, but you seem to be of the idea that because you merged some geosets around and changed textures the assets are now yours.

God why? You cite the things that took place over year ago, but still I can explain. You mean That lion head? Buhahahaha maybe it is, and what? :D I must agree i didn't realized that it is a national logo of Singapore. Or maybe looks very similar to it.

So I cannot paste, if i wish a flag of my country for example, right? I don't know what is a reference to the subject.

Oh wait! Are you trying o tell me that I stolen the "texture" from Google? Throw me the process of the lack of mentioned ethics. Ya really the saddest part.

90% of the rip? Oh, It broke my heart. Such reckless. :(
I see that someone intrudes me at night when I sleep, opens my WE or just and apparently draws conclusions based on what he just saw on screenshots? GJ anyway. :D

So models that I downloading for free from TurboSquid for example, and work with them, are also rips? :C Ah... ya! No shit Sherlock!

What ?
We don't really care about the legal part too much, but the above is a nice example of exactly everything that is wrong with using rips.
I don't care where you will upload your project, but you have a following here on the hive. Those people are looking up to you because they believe in your talent and skill, which is sad to say the least.

May I ask you to cite all posts regarding the "Fang?" Please, please do. You are appointed for one post, which was about a particular model.

Bleh... Not form other game - in visual meaning, visual. So hard to come to this? Oh, sorry. For the future, I'll try to leave "easier" notes for you in my thread.

PS: Good luck with your talents.

Level 17
So I cannot paste, if i wish a flag my country for example, right? I don't know what is a reference to the subject.
You can, it just raises doubts about what else the "So I cannot paste" applies on.
90% of the rip? Oh, It broke my heart. Such reckless. :(
I see that someone intrudes me at night when I sleep, opens my WE or just and apparently draws conclusions based on what he just saw on screenshots? GJ anyway. :D

Talavaj said:
And swiftly realized about 90% of the assets you are showcasing are rips.
I never said I know the entire state of your project, I merely commented on what you have shown so far.

So models that I downloading for free from TurboSquid for example, and work with them, are also rips? :C Ah... ya! No shit Sherlock!
About 80% of those "free models" are indeed rips or simply stolen from people without their consent, the rest is often licensed by their creators and you are to adhere to their terms of use or their license.
Many websites, especially the one in the OP of this thread are swarming with stolen content, have very suspicious disclaimers in broken English and are all around, just not trustworthy.
That being said, I don't really care about how you do things. Have fun with it ~

Status
Not open for further replies.