1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King has a new champion. The results for the 19th Icon Contest are here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Why are WoW models not allowed?

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by Urlock, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    READ WHOLE THREAD

2. Mecheon

Mecheon

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    No, because its still illegal

It doesn't matter how many points you come up with, there's still the point its illegal. And thus all of your points are invalid in the face of that

I read it over a thousand times. I didn't agree. Your attempt at getting people to believe what you want them to failed miserably

3. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    See, this is precisely why Wolverabid was wise in deciding to keep this thread open. There will always be some noob who thinks he can skirt the guidelines with his crazy logic, and he will always be wrong, and someone has to be here to tell him to stfu already and that for the billionth time, WoW models are not allowed. Period. End of story.

4. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually, main reason for not allowing wow model is the FACT that RULES on this site DONT ALLOW them.

5. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, and we're trying to explain to these dolts WHY the sites rules don't allow them because they continue to question the sites rules even though they know that they are final...

6. Callahan

Callahan

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think before installing WoW on your PC you have to accept the terms of a contract something like this:
    -Yes i agree
    -No i don't and quit Wow installer

Of coures i don't read it either but i think there's few lines that engage you to not exploit game ressource for public use.It's the intellectual property of blizzard folks.

7. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, its the Terms of Use and the EULA, when you install and every time you patch you have to agree to it.

8. Kaitech[SanD]

Kaitech[SanD]

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ripping is just lazy, and equally, wouldnt the models have a bigger size? I think the lazy 'Rippers' should get off thier butts, and make the models themselves!

9. iCrayon

iCrayon

Resources:
    Resources:
    I am happy WoW models are not allowed. Why? because if they were, just think, there would be 10000000 maps with them in it, and it would just be so original.

Also, isn't that leeching (i think) and against EULA (never read the damn thing) because since its a property of Blizzard and what not.

Its just better to keep them away from WC3 because then it ruins the game for some who think WoW ruined the WC3 Lore (which i don't care about either)

just my 2 cents :)

10. PlaidPirate

PlaidPirate

Resources:
    Resources:
    There were models on Wc3ser.ch from WOW and right now i need one of them, come on guys, let WOW prosper!

11. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    WoW can prosper as much as it wants without this site hosting stolen property of Blizzard Entertainment.

12. VGsatomi

VGsatomi

Webmaster's Council

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Its not illegal. Exported wow material is available for download and importing into wc3 at blizz's own mod site.

Blizz only cares if the exporting infringes on their intellectual property rights, and in which it is being used for their own commercial software, does not violate that. The EULA clause pertains its use for outside programs that could be used to divert potential profits away from Blizzard. That is why they go after gold sellers, and not WC3 mod sites. That is why they do after total Starctaft total conversion mod sites for Command & Conquer, and not Starcraft total conversion mods made for WC3, and so on.

As some may know darky added a gold selling banner linking a gold selling site on 'search a while back. Blizz DID contact me to protest that back when I was in contact with them over their mod site, but they never protested our posting of wow models which was open for everyone to see.

The illigality of wow models was one of the myth I frequently treid to dispell at wc3sear.ch, but some people were just so hung up on the arguement that its illegal when all it really was was an arguement to keep wow models off the site because they did not want them intermingled with original model works (which is understandable from certain perspectives....but I personally prefer variety). If you want to disallow wow models for the sake of not cluttering the models section or whatnot, then be honoest and say so, but the whole "illegal" rant is baseless and false.

13. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To my knowledge they have removed Material VGSatomi.

And its immoral. What do you think this site does? Encourages thieving and ripping or the hard and original work of people who are actually doing something for the greater good?

Oh yeah, and if we support Wow ripping then we are opening a bridge to allow the models to get into other games. AND THAT IS ILLEGAL.

14. Jacek

Jacek

Resources:
    Resources:
    1) Molten Core map was approved by blizzard mod development site, and the map has few WoW models

2) not really, other games aren't made by blizzard.

15. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    1. Iv already explained this to you jacek. 2 times.

2. Exactly. Thus it will happen. Iv already seen it.

16. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Further more, it's just a pain in the ass. WoW models are huge, contain far to many anims, and are ill-adapted, and were not made, to be placed within WC3 maps. Sure you can optimize them and make them nice, but then we have to start setting guidelines for whats acceptable and whats not, and we think that overall it just makes it easier to completely ban them. That also gets rid of the thousands of requests a day from people looking for WoW models.

If you're interested in WoW models, then learn to make them yourself! You can base a model on one that exists in WoW, and it will be allowed because you created it yourself, but if you just straight rip it from the game, well that's wrong and we don't condone it here at the Hive.

17. Jacek

Jacek

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've got 4 PMs asking how to export wow models this week (last) -.-

18. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Then perhaps another public announcement (a news post should do it...) about the fact that we do not accept WoW models, or talk of WoW models, or asking how to get WoW models, or requesting WoW models, just like we don't accept any of the BS listed above for Unprotecting maps.

19. Jacek

Jacek

Resources:
    Resources:
    perhaps give them link to crazynutter's tutorial (which was on wc3s btw) and tell them to pm crazynutter with problems ;)

20. Zieg

Zieg

Resources:
    Resources:
    how about open a seperate request section and model section pertaining to wow models. i personally enjoy using wow models in my map. i had 3 maps i worked on and 2 went down hill because i couldnt get the models i needed. so i learned to model and such myself and learned to export from wow. since then ive perfected the process and can export at least 10 models a day and keep there filesize small. i have a dozen human models in armor that are about 300-400 kb in size. i dont do anything with particles because it really eats the filesize. even then i just delete the particles if it can be done without making the model look bad. i say if you need a wow model pm me and i will be glad to do it. give me a screen of the model and its name in the viewer and ill have it ready for you. also tell me what animation set you want.

i was thinking about donating to this great site untill i found out about the ban on wow models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.