• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Why are WoW models not allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
WoW is a product of blizzard, Warcraft is a product of blizzard, when you convert WoW models into warcraft format to use them in a map. Whats the point? its all blizzards work anyway so just credit them (and even if you dont credit people will notice a WoW model) and problem solved?

Doesnt anyone think like this?

No, because its still illegal

It doesn't matter how many points you come up with, there's still the point its illegal. And thus all of your points are invalid in the face of that

I read it over a thousand times. I didn't agree. Your attempt at getting people to believe what you want them to failed miserably

Level 36
See, this is precisely why Wolverabid was wise in deciding to keep this thread open. There will always be some noob who thinks he can skirt the guidelines with his crazy logic, and he will always be wrong, and someone has to be here to tell him to stfu already and that for the billionth time, WoW models are not allowed. Period. End of story.

I think before installing WoW on your PC you have to accept the terms of a contract something like this:
-Yes i agree
-No i don't and quit Wow installer

Of coures i don't read it either but i think there's few lines that engage you to not exploit game ressource for public use.It's the intellectual property of blizzard folks.

Level 3
I am happy WoW models are not allowed. Why? because if they were, just think, there would be 10000000 maps with them in it, and it would just be so original.

Also, isn't that leeching (i think) and against EULA (never read the damn thing) because since its a property of Blizzard and what not.

Its just better to keep them away from WC3 because then it ruins the game for some who think WoW ruined the WC3 Lore (which i don't care about either)

just my 2 cents :)

Level 22
Its not illegal. Exported wow material is available for download and importing into wc3 at blizz's own mod site.

Blizz only cares if the exporting infringes on their intellectual property rights, and in which it is being used for their own commercial software, does not violate that. The EULA clause pertains its use for outside programs that could be used to divert potential profits away from Blizzard. That is why they go after gold sellers, and not WC3 mod sites. That is why they do after total Starctaft total conversion mod sites for Command & Conquer, and not Starcraft total conversion mods made for WC3, and so on.

As some may know darky added a gold selling banner linking a gold selling site on 'search a while back. Blizz DID contact me to protest that back when I was in contact with them over their mod site, but they never protested our posting of wow models which was open for everyone to see.

The illigality of wow models was one of the myth I frequently treid to dispell at wc3sear.ch, but some people were just so hung up on the arguement that its illegal when all it really was was an arguement to keep wow models off the site because they did not want them intermingled with original model works (which is understandable from certain perspectives....but I personally prefer variety). If you want to disallow wow models for the sake of not cluttering the models section or whatnot, then be honoest and say so, but the whole "illegal" rant is baseless and false.

Level 45
To my knowledge they have removed Material VGSatomi.

And its immoral. What do you think this site does? Encourages thieving and ripping or the hard and original work of people who are actually doing something for the greater good?

Oh yeah, and if we support Wow ripping then we are opening a bridge to allow the models to get into other games. AND THAT IS ILLEGAL.

Level 36
Further more, it's just a pain in the ass. WoW models are huge, contain far to many anims, and are ill-adapted, and were not made, to be placed within WC3 maps. Sure you can optimize them and make them nice, but then we have to start setting guidelines for whats acceptable and whats not, and we think that overall it just makes it easier to completely ban them. That also gets rid of the thousands of requests a day from people looking for WoW models.

If you're interested in WoW models, then learn to make them yourself! You can base a model on one that exists in WoW, and it will be allowed because you created it yourself, but if you just straight rip it from the game, well that's wrong and we don't condone it here at the Hive.

Level 36
Then perhaps another public announcement (a news post should do it...) about the fact that we do not accept WoW models, or talk of WoW models, or asking how to get WoW models, or requesting WoW models, just like we don't accept any of the BS listed above for Unprotecting maps.

Level 6
how about open a seperate request section and model section pertaining to wow models. i personally enjoy using wow models in my map. i had 3 maps i worked on and 2 went down hill because i couldnt get the models i needed. so i learned to model and such myself and learned to export from wow. since then ive perfected the process and can export at least 10 models a day and keep there filesize small. i have a dozen human models in armor that are about 300-400 kb in size. i dont do anything with particles because it really eats the filesize. even then i just delete the particles if it can be done without making the model look bad. i say if you need a wow model pm me and i will be glad to do it. give me a screen of the model and its name in the viewer and ill have it ready for you. also tell me what animation set you want.

i was thinking about donating to this great site untill i found out about the ban on wow models.

Level 45
Its stealing, blizzard did not make the models, some person did.

And wc3 is for wc3, not wow for wc3. Thats to answer your other question and utilizing the same content from the game.. FROM THE SAME game will save space and blend the style and will utilize better, eg skins etc.

wow is for wow, not wc3. Simple as that. Iv already said what i said..but...its best you read everyones opinions so we dont need to restate ours. (trying not to sound mean)

Level 14
...it is illegal because of a little something called 'the law'. I know you might not care for it, but the protection of IP and copyrights is very important. Theft is immoral.

It has nothing to do with the EULA, which is mostly bogus and unenforcable (and half of it isn't even legally binding in most countries).

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I think I on
ce talked to a Blizzard man. And as far as I know, Blizzard don't care as long as we don't make money on their stuff, and that it remains under their copyrights (warcraft and wow are owned by blizzard). But ofcourse we don't want bad models. But if people could export a wow model, make it look very nice and then import it..
I personally have nothing against doing this but as it is now, it's not allowed.

Level 6
wow model hidden in hive resources

was browsing through the resources section and found a nice model made by tenebis. thought it looks good, alittle too good if you know what i mean. got to disecting the model in vertex modifier and found that parts of the model are wow rips in disguise. the face and hair for one are exact copies of blood elf models. also some of the animations appear to be rips as well. if you want ill rip the models each body part came from and you can see for yourself. nice to see a wow model with crappy wc3 geosets merged to it is exceptable.

http://hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/2789/
http://hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/2633/
http://hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/2594/
http://hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/2539/
http://hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/2416/

these are to just name a few. i got bored after taking apart these 5 to tell you that each is a wow model reskinned and some crappy wc3 geosets added for spice. happy hunting :grin:

Last edited:
Level 13
The Hive is against complete WoW exports. I don't think it says anything about using WoW parts for your own creations.

(plus what could he have used for Astaroth?)

Level 6
astaroth is a felguard. the model was edited so that the model was completely smooth as the armor pieces on the felguard are actually geosets. he deleted those and retextured the felguard. it is an exact copy of the felguard minus some pieces moved a bit so people wouldnt recognize them. hell i can do this as it requires only retexturing knowledge and basic geoset editing knowledge.

Last edited:
Level 45
1.HeroBloodknight=no.
2.As for the rest It hasn't been mod checked yet, how the heck did u get to it?
3.All hes other models i rejected due to the reason stated nor did he reply or updated.
4. Moded wow edits are allowed but must be heavily modified, I think Ralle made that rule but im not sure if it still exists now, we dont allow things like a Wow naga with a swapped/added sword or with a tauren head replaced over it, i mean a actually good and hard worked edit.

Last edited:
Level 32
Except for one, all of the models on that list were imported from another site and had yet to be approved by resource moderators.

This has now been corrected. All of those that were previously Non-approved have now been moved to the Ignored category.

Level 6
the hero blood knight isnt really that bad since it only contains a few pieces from the wow model mainly the face and hair is a wow edit for sure. i have no problem at all with his models as they are really nice. im only posting this to make others aware.

Level 6
kind of funny then, wow used that same face for the blood elf npcs. i wasnt aware that they were the same untill i looked for myself.

Level 6
apparently theres a rule that states if you suspect models as being a wow edit you have to post in this thread which is completely offtopic. since it has to do with WOW you are not allowed to tell people. so i can edit a model and if it gets through nobody is allowed to say hey thats a wow model. since your not allowed to even speak of wow in any other thread.

besides that i think wolferabid has a grudge against me.

Last edited:
Level 6
ive already made it clear that the face on his unit and the ones in wow are the same. they just took the face from the camp screen and used it for wow. thats where i got confused because i havent been able to view the camp screen because the viewer wont let me get close to the unit.

Level 6
yeah i finally figured it out later on when werewulf mentioned its the face from the camp screen. i really dont care that blizzard reused the face from the camp screen for blood elf npcs, its just i got them mixed up because they are the same.

Level 4
don't mean to be offtopic but, WC3 models were created even before 2002/2003, They were already on alpha test, by 2001.

Okay, ontopic, I feel that WoW models, are kinda easy to base off, but the skin isn't(atleast for me), and why would we want WoW rips, if there just high poly versions of wc3's models.

Level 6
you have to understand that wow has been in development since 2002, that was when the company i work for got the first glimpse of what was going to happen in wow. then we got the first beta test for burning crusade in 2005 when it was first thought up. cant say anymore about further expansions as that will get me fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.